• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

Maybe just a bit. Love how weapons like that are allowed to decimate people within seconds but the harder to aim skill-weapons like the BR and DMR take much longer. 5-shot kills for the wait a minute, WTF? Le Balance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is the needler a load-out option? Might as well be lumped in with power weapons if not.

OT - sort of - I can't stop listening to Peril. Probably my all-time favorite Halo song with Covenant Dance right behind it.

TheOddOne

Maybe just a bit. Love how weapons like that are allowed to decimate people within seconds but the harder to aim skill-weapons like the BR and DMR take much longer. Le Balance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is the needler a load-out option? Might as well be lumped in with power weapons if not.

OT - sort of - I can't stop listening to Peril. Probably my all-time favorite Halo song with Covenant Dance right behind it.
Yeah, it is a power weapon.

Shifted2u: "With the torso of the Mantis having a wide range of motion, you are not limited to what direction you are moving in when firing, unlike that of a banshee or a ghost. This freedom makes the Mantis very versatile on the battlefield."

I'm trying to find any video or clips of it with the top part facing backwards. I'm curious to see what the full range of motion is. If I had to guess it's probably limited to 180 degress of motion, 90 to the elft and right from center. Having a full 360 degrees of motion would possibly make this too powerful. I definitly think the fact that it's not a fixed front like on covanant vehicles makes it a lot more powerful and useful. That way you can keep mving one way and blasting in the other.

Talents

Banned

fuck-your-shit.gif

That's actually stupid, that better be a ordinance only weapon, because that's stronger than rockets.

pretty sure it is.

That's alright then.

Shadders

Ragnarok is a very faithful remake. I tweeted during the event that it felt like home and that's absolutely true.

Well.. home with massive mechs.

Striker

2 banshees, 2 mantises, 1 wraith at the wall. Now that I could deal with.

I love the way the wraith plays on Valhalla. Its the perfect map for it.
The limited routes and hills kind of stop that notion. A good map for one is something large, and open, like Coag, Avalanche, and Waterworks.

Omni

I still can't believe how great the game is looking, especially considering the Xbox is quite... crap... tech-wise.

This map is just reinforcing my belief that the weakness of this game/engine from a visual standpoint are the ground textures.

This map has left me feeling disappointed and dare I say that I actually prefer the look of valhalla than ragnorok. Better greenery and possibly better ground textures :(

Also it doesn't look like the water has the same physics if any at all like in Halo 3. Bad. It just looks static with no true reaction to the objects interacting with it **SIGH**

Woorloog

Banned
Ragnarok looks nice. Just... Where's the Ark in the skybox? I reckon this version is set on (simulated) Requiem, not on simulated Ark.

The Mantis looks like a walking balance screw-up. It looks like it is more fun than the Scorpion by the virtue of mobility but it looks far too powerful. It is also the only thing in Halo 4 whose aesthetics i do not like, doesn't look very Halo-y, Halo Wars Cyclops fit Halo much better (the in-game model that is, not the concept art).

Of course if 343i insist on using the Scorpion in BTB lists, i think the Mantis won't be such a big issue... just an equal to the Scorpion. I really doubt the Scorpion will be balanced either, no matter we may have Plasma Pistols and EMP 'nades as starting weapons, find a good place with the Scorpion and no one can approach you without you seeing them. I remember getting 60ish kills with the tank in Reach BTB once...

FyreWulff

Ragnarok looks nice. Just... Where's the Ark in the skybox? I reckon this version is set on (simulated) Requiem, not on simulated Ark.

The Mantis looks like a walking balance screw-up. It looks like it is more fun than the Scorpion by the virtue of mobility but it looks far too powerful. It is also the only thing in Halo 4 whose aesthetics i do not like, doesn't look very Halo-y, Halo Wars Cyclops fit Halo much better (the in-game model that is, not the concept art).

Of course if 343i insist on using the Scorpion in BTB lists, i think the Mantis won't be such a big issue... just an equal to the Scorpion. I really doubt the Scorpion will be balanced either, no matter we may have Plasma Pistols and EMP 'nades as starting weapons, find a good place with the Scorpion and no one can approach you without you seeing them. I remember getting 60ish kills with the tank in Reach BTB once...

They're saving a destroyed Ark skybox for Halo 6 :p

Is it me or have the ledges been raised in the bases now? You can see it here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2T0ElMXNRk&feature=player_detailpage#t=205s

I sure they were lower than that in Halo 3.

Looks like a solid remake. Boggy marshlands for ground is ugly as sin but I doubt it'll be noticeable after playing some time. I'm all for less than stellar aesthetics if it improves the engine performance.

Edit: posted this yesterday

Something that I'm curious about is where you get ammo for your regular weapons since they no longer spawn on the map anymore. Say, for instance, you're on a Running Riot using just the Carbine; if none of the enemies you've slain happened to have the Carbine as their loadout is it impossible to replenish the ammo in it?

Anyone know?

ZalinKrow

Okay that Mantis trailer was sweeet. I am so hyped for this damn game lol. I just know this month is gonna drag though. Although it is kinda nice knowing it's finally October :) November is so close.

Gui_PT

That thing is clearly over powered. At least in that build.

Can't wait for a team to have both Mantises and Spartan Lazer.

Oh boy oh boy

That thing is clearly over powered. At least in that build.

Can't wait for a team to have both Mantises and Spartan Lazer.

Oh boy oh boy
At least in the video. The Mantis is slow, its weapons are useless on long range and people can easily take it out if they have a Plasma Pistol. Unlike other vehicles, even an Assault Rifle user can take it down without any trouble.

The Banshee or the Scorpion are much more powerful than the Mantis.

Bu-but you guys said Ragnarok was ugly!
It wasn't good looking last week. At least I disliked the white-grey stones but at the end those could be result of a very awful display settings.(And that was the case)

One thing I want to say about Ragnarok: The sniper always spawns within the base. A Railgun spawns at Red base's path.(The cave path where the Shotgun spawned in H3.)

Gui_PT

At least in the video. The Mantis is slow, its weapons are useless on long range and people can easily take it out if they have a Plasma Pistol. Unlike other vehicles, even an Assault Rifle user can take it down without any trouble.

The Banshee or the Scorpion are much more powerful than the Mantis.

It took a Laser shot to the face and more shots for quite some time after dat and the guy kept going.

It can clearny destroy hogs/banshees with 1 load of missiles if you can use it well

Blueblur1

Ragnarok looks nice except for the terrain. I don't know how anyone could think splotchy terrain is anything but an eyesore. Especially when you're remaking a map known for its lush terrain.

By the way, it looks like to me that the walls surrounding the base are higher on Ragnarok. I don't remember them being that high on Valhalla.

RagnarokSnipe.png

Havok

With the traditional Valhalla base Mongeese, a Warthog per base, apparently a Ghost from the screenshot, a Mantis per base, a Banshee per base (?), a Scorpion somewhere (?), and the neutral Wraith that somebody mentioned (though I haven't seen the video yet, so maybe that's just hearsay?), I really kind of wonder what player count they intend for Ragnarok in matchmaking. Seems too small for big team in a game like Halo 4, but that kind of vehicle count doesn't scream 5v5 to me.

Just noticed that Scott Warner is talking about playing BTB on it, so I guess that answers the question. Hmm.

Omni

Watched the vid.

Did someone forget to water the plants? What happened to all the grass?

The grass is still there on the original map. It's just that this Valhalla isn't set on Halo...

ibf9TQQDrQOS0Q.gif

Top of the page? Have a .gif that you've already seen.

Tawpgun

Not a fan of the ground textures.

Need to see the final standard BTB vehicle and weapon layout of the map (and if global ordnance will fuck with things like laser and sniper spawn (There was a rocket drop by the pelican in the vid)

I don't think there should be a Mantis, Scorpion and Banshee on one map. Save that shit for heavies. Pick one as the power vehicle in standard BTB

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I stuck my thoughts on the Mantis on my site: http://www.littleenglishhaloblog.com/2012/10/halo-4-meet-mantis.html

Essentially, it feels massively overpowered at first, but within a few games people got the hang of bringing it down.

Being in the Mantis makes you as powerful as a Titan on steroids, until anyone with a plasma pistol decides they have had enough of your crap. Or approaches from a massive cone to the rear of your area of effect, or runs away from you, or moves laterally out of the cone of your slowly rotating bulk. It's fun, it's dangerous, it is absolutely not OP.

Being in the Mantis makes you as powerful as a Titan on steroids, until anyone with a plasma pistol decides they have had enough of your crap. Or approaches from a massive cone to the rear of your area of effect, or runs away from you, or moves laterally out of the cone of your slowly rotating bulk. It's fun, it's dangerous, it is absolutely not OP.

Luckily it won't be standard on BTB playlists

With the traditional Valhalla base Mongeese, a Warthog per base, apparently a Ghost from the screenshot, a Mantis per base, and the neutral Wraith that somebody mentioned (though I haven't seen the video yet, so maybe that's just hearsay?), I really kind of wonder what player count they intend for Ragnarok in matchmaking. Seems too small for big team in a game like Halo 4, but that kind of vehicle count doesn't scream 5v5 to me.

Just noticed that Scott Warner is talking about playing BTB on it, so I guess that answers the question. Hmm.

I made that up. I doubt there will be any Wraiths.
As a guess I would say:

2 Mantis (behind base far left)
2 Banshee (back of each base)
2 Default Hogs (Behind base right)
5 Mongooses (2 at each base on right ramp, 1 at the wall)

Perhaps with the wall mongoose replaced with a Ghost.

Top Bottom