• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS3 Model (CECH-4000) Registered on FCC (Jeff_Rigby alert)

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
There is some information in the other documents as well, though the URL supplied by miladesn leads not to them for some web browsers. I can't get it working under Opera anyway.

Here's how you can access them these documents:

1. Go to http://transition.fcc.gov/oet/ea/fccid/

2. Input "AK8" in the Grantee Code field, and "CBEH19C1" in the Product Code field. Actually, only data for the Product Code field is needed, but just to be sure.

3. Just click "Detail" for either entry and choose the file you want to read.

Could perhaps be added to the OP.

And here's a part on confidentiality:

We are requesting the commision to grant short-term confidentiality request on the following attachments until 180 days from the date of grant:

External Photos
Internal Photos
Test Setup Photos and Test Setup Configurations
User Manual

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Faster Blu Ray drive please. Yeah I know, it's not gonna happen. I wonder if this will be accompanied by a price drop?

Oh wow, looks like Sony have gone for a PS3 super slim. $199/£149/€199 with a 40GB (user-replaceable) SSD and 28/32nm silicon would be very attractive.

onQ123

what if they pull off a $149 retail price? that would be crazy & just right for the more family friendly games that they will be putting out.

Replacing the HDDs with some other form of storage would probably provide reasonable cost reduction considering the effect of the Thai floods.

Indeed, and it would pay longer term dividends as costs can be reduced with flash where HDD costs always stay at a base level and storage increases.

b3b0p

I have noticed PS2's disappearing from stores.

PS2 compatibility back in? Please, Sony, please! I beg you. I have a ton of PS2 games that need some love and my PS3Fat I am afraid will die any day now (even though it sounds and looks healthy).

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Oh wow, looks like Sony have gone for a PS3 super slim. $199/£149/€199 with a 40GB (user-replaceable) SSD and 28/32nm silicon would be very attractive.

It might have been you that I said this to in the other topic, but going from HDD to 40gb and moving to an SSD doesn't seem very logical to me, you would be massively cutting down on what people could download from their services, along with game install.

I don't think with a 40gb SSD along with the space the PS3 takes up on its storage by default would be able to fit all the games they offer on PS+ currently let alone if you wanted to play some other games or download some PSN titles.

I have noticed PS2's disappearing from stores.

PS2 compatibility back in? Please, Sony, please! I beg you. I have a ton of PS2 games that need some love and my PS3Fat I am afraid will die any day now (even though it sounds and looks healthy).

They aren't going to add that cost back in at this point, it would cost them more than they are probably slimming down this model with.

dc89

3u1dO.jpg

Please do it like this. :)

I've got one and the LCD which attached to the rear.

Before the days of me owning a PSP, playing this in bed was so good :p

mrklaw

MrArseFace
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWVMxxEtxO0

^^ with a proxy it can still only utilise about 50% of a 100mb connection (i have virgin media too)
without a proxy the speeds are throttled to a maximum of 2-4mb/s

whats this? Why is it limited? I've seen really slow downloads recently, even though my internet settings seem fine. Leave the PS3 (wired) downloading for a couple of hours and its barely done a gig (50Mb virgin cable here)

what if they pull off a $149 retail price? that would be crazy & just right for the more family friendly games that they will be putting out.
I see resistance to lower prices and my guess is we will first see a $249 package deal with Kinect like depth camera included. Then later a $199 without Hard disk but still including Kinect like depth camera. On-line AR, Home, casual free to play but with upgrades you purchase and PSN services being Sony's money makers.

iNvid02

whats this? Why is it limited? I've seen really slow downloads recently, even though my internet settings seem fine. Leave the PS3 (wired) downloading for a couple of hours and its barely done a gig (50Mb virgin cable here)

PSN seems to throttle all downloads on PS3/PSP devices - probably so everyone gets an even share of bandwidth, guess its the downside of a free service

this method essentially routes the traffic through your PC first so the speeds increase quite a bit

I see resistance to lower prices and my guess is we will first see a $249 package deal with Kinect like depth camera included. Then later a $199 without Hard disk but still including Kinect like depth camera. On-line AR, Home, casual free to play but with upgrades you purchase and PSN services being Sony's money makers.

How many games do you think are secretly in development for this secret PS3 Kinect like depth camera?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWVMxxEtxO0

^^ with a proxy it can still only utilise about 50% of a 100mb connection (i have virgin media too)
without a proxy the speeds are throttled to a maximum of 2-4mb/s

You know.. technically, that doesn't make any sense, unless the PS3 actively throttles itself's connection unless it's using a proxy.

To your ISP, it doesn't matter if the connection comes from the PS3 or your Computer (through a proxy). It's using the same ports and has the same headers, so if it was some sort of Traffic Shaping performed by the ISP, it would happen regardless, as the data is not being encrypted through the proxy.

The PSN servers wouldn't know the difference either: It's just a package arriving at them from your IP address requesting data at the proper port.

The only part of that equation that's different is the PS3 itself, unless there's some different formation in the packets when the PS3 sends them through a proxy, which I doubt there is, as the argument here is that Sony itself throttles the downloads. Then why would they program the PS3 to change the packet headers?

onQ123

I think they will save the depth camera for the PS4 & try to make the PS3 more mass market & family friendly with a cheaper price & more games that appeal to the younger crowd.

Rigby is always good. He is the greatest predictor of future; GAF just needs to be patient for his revelation takes a year or so to be reality.

PS3 will get new web browser (2.5 years later).
JEFF RIGBY REDEEMED!

Seriously though... he seems crazy, but he knows what he's talking about. ;]

onQ123

Super skinny PS3, comes with Move. It's the Wonderbook edition guys, Sony is coming in full force.

I'm thinking the same thing & Wonderbook just might be the most marketable thing that has come to the PS3 & at a cheap price they can really move the system. they just have to get wonderbook on shows like Good Morning America & Ellen Show & make Mothers believe that it's the "IT" product of the year.

& Sony better act fast before these Soccer Moms realize that the Wii U isn't just a new controller for the Wii lol.

iNvid02

You know.. technically, that doesn't make any sense, unless the PS3 actively throttles itself's connection unless it's using a proxy.

To your ISP, it doesn't matter if the connection comes from the PS3 or your Computer (through a proxy). It's using the same ports and has the same headers, so if it was some sort of Traffic Shaping performed by the ISP, it would happen regardless, as the data is not being encrypted through the proxy.

The PSN servers wouldn't know the difference either: It's just a package arriving at them from your IP address requesting data at the proper port.

The only part of that equation that's different is the PS3 itself, unless there's some different formation in the packets when the PS3 sends them through a proxy, which I doubt there is, as the argument here is that Sony itself throttles the downloads. Then why would they program the PS3 to change the packet headers?

its obviously not ISP related because otherwise this would not work, its definitely on the Sony side so for all intents and purposes, PSN is throttling us.

but why it happens and what causes it is unknown

It might have been you that I said this to in the other topic, but going from HDD to 40gb and moving to an SSD doesn't seem very logical to me, you would be massively cutting down on what people could download from their services, along with game install.

I don't think with a 40gb SSD along with the space the PS3 takes up on its storage by default would be able to fit all the games they offer on PS+ currently let alone if you wanted to play some other games or download some PSN titles.

They aren't going to add that cost back in at this point, it would cost them more than they are probably slimming down this model with.

A HDD adds $60 to the build cost no matter what. Sony could bulk buy flash and drive down costs quite rapidly so that they could stick in 40GB of flash (or even 80GB) for $40 and the price of the flash will halve every 18 months, or they could bump up from 40GB to 60GB and still save money overall. We are entering the twilight stages of the generation, both Sony and Microsoft should be looking at driving down hardware costs as much as possible and for Sony that means removing the HDD and replacing it with an SSD which has longer term benefits. With a HDD $149 will never be in reach, but it will with an SSD.

In just 3 years a 160GB SSD will be available for ~ $40 in bulk which is enough storage, while a basic HDD will still be $60. In four years the same 160GB SSD will be $30, while the HDD will still be $60.

Keeping the HDD long term is not a good idea and the crossover has come where SSDs are becoming price competitive in large enough sizes that fixed devices can switch to them without too much trouble.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Yes! I hated the slim compared to the phat. Please redeem yourself with this one Sony, I'd buy three

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.

Other than the fact that there is no info that Sony has a depth camera and that yet another peripheral would be confusing to the customer and get little dev support, it is a great guess. And the no HD idea has been floated for years, I don't think it will ever happen due to the technical nature of the HD install (which requires the firmware on a thumbdrive).

androvsky

Other than the fact that there is no info that Sony has a depth camera and that yet another peripheral would be confusing to the customer and get little dev support, it is a great guess. And the no HD idea has been floated for years, I don't think it will ever happen due to the technical nature of the HD install (which requires the firmware on a thumbdrive).

Having the firmware on a thumbdrive is only required for systems that can't store the entire firmware on their internal flash. Launch systems can, and if Sony made a new model without a hard drive, presumably it would too.

onQ123

Sony does have a Depth Camera it's called ICU they had it for years & also their is patents showing the PS3 or PS4 using a Depth Camera.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
This is perfect. I've been thinking about buying a PS3, mostly for ICO+Shadow HD pack, Last of US, Okami HD and PSN+.

If this is a slimmer/cheaper version, I can actually import it rather than buying locally and paying ridiculous prices.

Sony has had plans to bring the PS3 down here to Brazil and assemble it locally to achieve lower prices for YEARS now. If this is a budget version, maybe it's time.

I'm VERY interested in this. I hope it materializes as a new budget slim PS3.

*tag-quote*

lol kidding. Yeah, Wii U would have some immense competition if PS3 is at that price.

Eh...I don't think it would really matter. The 360 has been selling above the PS3 pricepoint for months now, so it really depends on the software people are interested in this holiday. And with Sony somewhat slacking off with their software releases this holiday, I doubt PS All Stars and Sly 4 sell too many systems. On the other hand 149 would be great I might pick up a 2nd one.

Sony does have a Depth Camera it's called ICU they had it for years & also their is patents showing the PS3 or PS4 using a Depth Camera.
Yeah, here it is a patent for a Sony depth camera. What's telling is the date it was filed (Oct 26, 2011) and the date OpenMax IL 1.2 with camera support was announced to Members (Nov 2011) at the Soul Korea meeting.

Oct 26, 2011 Sony Depth Camera patent filed
Nov 7, 2011 OpenMax IL 1.2 announced to professionals with APIs
Feb 16, 2012 Sony Depth Camera patent published
Feb 14, 2012 Khronos publishes to public OpenMax IL 1.2

My opinion is Sony plans to use this depth camera with the NEW PS3. Filed the patent as soon as standards were in place and published the patent as soon as standards were published to the public. Why, for gesture recognition and casual control of the browser as well as better Augmented Reality.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Backward compatibility with PS2 games ? If so i can finally give rest to my Phat PS3.

Not going to happen, Sony aren't going to make a PS3 model they are trying to reduce in cost more expensive to produce by adding more hardware to it.

Yeah, here it is a patent for a Sony depth camera. What's telling is the date it was filed (Oct 26, 2011) and the date OpenMax IL 1.2 with camera support was announced to Members (Nov 2011) at the Soul Korea

Oct 26, 2011 Sony Depth Camera patent filed
Nov 7, 2011 OpenMax IL 1.2 announced to professionals with APIs
Feb 16, 2012 Sony Depth Camera patent published
Feb 14, 2012 Khronos publishes to public OpenMax IL 1.2

My opinion is Sony plans to use this depth camera with the PS3.

Why?
I still don't see the point, it isn't going to sell, they aren't going to bundle more with a PS3 when they are trying to drive down costs.

And the biggest point, why bother when they sell it from the get go with a PS4 and have it with every console instead of trying to sell it to PS3 owners that aren't going to want or need it at this point.

A HDD adds $60 to the build cost no matter what. Sony could bulk buy flash and drive down costs quite rapidly so that they could stick in 40GB of flash (or even 80GB) for $40 and the price of the flash will halve every 18 months, or they could bump up from 40GB to 60GB and still save money overall. We are entering the twilight stages of the generation, both Sony and Microsoft should be looking at driving down hardware costs as much as possible and for Sony that means removing the HDD and replacing it with an SSD which has longer term benefits. With a HDD $149 will never be in reach, but it will with an SSD.

In just 3 years a 160GB SSD will be available for ~ $40 in bulk which is enough storage, while a basic HDD will still be $60. In four years the same 160GB SSD will be $30, while the HDD will still be $60.

Keeping the HDD long term is not a good idea and the crossover has come where SSDs are becoming price competitive in large enough sizes that fixed devices can switch to them without too much trouble.

It isn't that I don't understand SSDs and that we are moving towards them here, I just don't see the benefit now from slashing a giant chunk of space that people will end up using for digital purchases for a benefit down the road. I filled up my 40GB in no time at all back when it first arrived, and that was what, late 2007? it would take no time to fill that up now which means less buying and more fuss for the consumer.
Unless they have changed it recently, downloading a game, for instance Mass Effect 2, requires 14gb, to install you need twice the download, that is 30GB you need from the start, the PS3 uses a small chunk of space to start with and with say Skyrim on the system too with its install data, you just wouldn't have the room.

But It isn't that I am saying it definitely wont happen, I just dont see the benefit of doing it now as we move more and more into a digital age.

Not going to happen, Sony aren't going to make a PS3 model they are trying to reduce in cost more expensive to produce by adding more hardware to it. Why?
I still don't see the point, it isn't going to sell, they aren't going to bundle more with a PS3 when they are trying to drive down costs.
You are missing the point, the end goal is not to drive down prices but to sell more PS3s into peoples homes so they buy more games and use PSN services. If that can be done with a cheaper PS3 then cheap it will be but Roku and Apple TV boxes are under $100. What they can't do is offer local accurate Voice or gesture recognition or features that require the POWER in a game console compared to a thin client.

Wait till you see what can be done with WebGL, HTML5 apps and Augmented Reality on the/from the XMB.

Top Bottom