• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania on switch is still broken and needs to be fixed.

Dartastic

I'm currently in chemical plant zone as Knuckles trying to turn my system off but it just refuses to do anything. It's also been horribly laggy when I try and access system menus. How has this not been addressed yet?

Edit: video. https://youtu.be/UFhGf8XGHtQ

bman94

???

I've only had a few glitches where I got stuck in the walls on Sonic Mania Switch. I got over 20 hours and I haven't had any major issues yet.

Broken is a stretch. The game plays and runs fine. The power and home buttons lag a bit every so often for me, but it's hardly something I'd call broken. It's more of an inconvenience. We're getting a patch at some point if I'm not mistaken too

Brizzo24

I'm currently in chemical plant some as Knuckles trying to turn my system off but it won't go. It's also been horribly laggy when I try and access system menus. Fix this shit. Now.

Yes!

I played undocked yesterday. When i was at a stopping point i couldn't put my system into sleep mode. Pressing the home key caused a delay of several seconds and then despite the systems OS popping up in the foreground the d-pad was still controlling my character and i couldn't select sleep. I litterally couldn't control my system. Finally i had to hold the power button down for 10 seconds straight to shut my system off. I couldn't do anything else. Sucks bc i was dling a new demo too.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I'm currently in chemical plant zone as Knuckles trying to turn my system off but it just refuses to do anything. It's also been horribly laggy when I try and access system menus. Fix this shit. Now.

Jeez, stop acting like a spoilt child.

They are working on a patch but it needs to QA before it can be applied.

I've beaten the game a few times and it's not really broken.
There's a weird 5 second delay between going to the home menu/sleep, but it should still work.
Press it once and wait. Multiple presses might cancel it out
Well, putting it to sleep mode, at least. Usually never turn the Switch off. Don't know if there's an issue where you can turn it off in the game, in that case just go to the home menu and close the application

dallow_bg

nods at old men

Does he know there's a patch coming? You could have just let him know that.

He paid for this product, and has a right to complain.

FX-GMC

Who said he can't complain?

"Fix This Shit. Now" is childish and when someone says something childish a person has a right to call them out for that.

I'm pretty sure Christian Whitehead has said they're working on patches and general fixes for the game as a whole, and that he was also fully aware of the Switch load time issues. They have to go through QA and probably squash other things that come up but they are working on it.

Yeah but the game isn't broken - there's one problem that needs fixing. Comes across as unnecessary petulant rant thread tbh.

Ferr986

I'm pretty sure Christian Whitehead has said they're working on patches and general fixes for the game as a whole, and that he was also fully aware of the Switch load time issues. They have to go through QA and probably squash other things that come up but they are working on it.

Yes patch is coming, with bug fixes and improvements like Super transformations on a different button than jump (already applied on PC).

Chun-Li

I've never had the turning off issue people talked about. I played roughly 30 hours so far. Got everything with all characters. I've crashed 2 times total and that was within the first 2 hours of playing. After that I never had a problem again.

Super weird!

theultimo

I'm currently in chemical plant zone as Knuckles trying to turn my system off but it just refuses to do anything. It's also been horribly laggy when I try and access system menus. How has this not been addressed yet?
Oh No!

i haven't experienced this before.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Who said he can't complain?

"Fix This Shit. Now" is childish and when someone says something childish a person has a right to call them out for that.

Yeah but the game isn't broken - there's one problem that needs fixing. Comes across as unnecessary petulant rant thread tbh.

He can't even turn off his system or use the system menu.
I may not have used his words, but I'd be irritated if that was happening to me.

He's "spoilt" for expecting the game he paid for to work properly?!

There was a time when games didn't need to be patched out of the box. Sure would be nice to go back to those days...

Servbot24

Banned

Speak for yourself - when I got to Chemical Zone the cartridge literally blasted out of my Switch and blew into a billion pieces!

He's "spoilt" for expecting the game he paid for to work properly?!

There was a time when games didn't need to be patched out of the box. Sure would be nice to go back to those days...

The game should be fixed. The "Fix this shit. Now." quote just sounds hilariously temper-tantrumy.

Yes!

I played undocked yesterday. When i was at a stopping point i couldn't put my system into sleep mode. Pressing the home key caused a delay of several seconds and then despite the systems OS popping up in the foreground the d-pad was still controlling my character and i couldn't select sleep. I litterally couldn't control my system. Finally i had to hold the power button down for 10 seconds straight to shut my system off. I couldn't do anything else. Sucks bc i was dling a new demo too.

Did you try the touch screen?

Kyzer

Banned
@OP

Press the home button and wait, dont mash it. Itll come up. If it doesnt come up after a really long time try again, one press at a time. If you keep pressing it it might not come up at all. It just takes a while, definitely bugged

Mr-Joker

Banned

OP does have a right to complain and that's fine but the whole "Fix this shit. Now." line is just childish and I am calling him out on that and that alone.

Plus it isn't hard to do some research prior to see if the game going to get patched.

Consumers being anti-consumer is a puzzler to me.

Far from it, I went out of my way to request a separate button for turning Super. Big different is that I asked nicely.

Furthermore I had the same problem myself but I didn't moan about it because I knew that a patch would be coming eventually.

Brizzo24

I'm pretty sure that if a game doesn't allow me to access basic functions such as turning off the goddamn system that qualifies as "broken."

Yep. Accessing the systems OS was always delayed while playing sonic. That was inconvenient, but not broken.

But yesterday pressing the home key for me during a session basically caught me in limbo. I couldn't select OS functions, couldn't return to game, couldn't keep playing bc the OS was in the foreground, uncooperating.

I patch is all i ask

wrowa

I'm honestly a bit surprised Sonic Mania passed cert in its current form. I always thought that issues like these (game messing with system features) is one of those things they look at extra carefully.

BiggNife

OP does have a right to complain and that's fine but the whole "Fix this shit. Now." line is just childish and I am calling him out that and that alone.

Yup.

I agree it's an annoying bug that should be fixed but also there's probably a lot of variables that we're not aware of, specifically something like certification which usually takes a lot more time than people think it does. Saying "Fix this shit NOW" is implying these devs are lazy which is a silly stance to take.

Dartastic

OP does have a right to complain and that's fine but the whole "Fix this shit. Now." line is just childish and I am calling him out that and that alone.
You're not wrong, that's why I edited the OP to try and chill my language out. I've also had a few drinks as I'm currently vacationing in Japan. Regardless, it's absurd that there hasn't even been a minor patch out yet to try and fix this. It shouldn't have even passed cert.

Brizzo24

Did you try the touch screen?

Yep. Didn't work.

I was right in front of my router at the time, bc before i fired up sonic i checked for updates. None. Latest software it read. Also i was downloading the octopath demo in the background. Might've had something to do with it?

Chun-Li

Yep. Didn't work.

I was right in front of my router at the time, bc before i fired up sonic i checked for updates. None. Latest software it read. Also i was downloading the octopath demo in the background. Might've had something to do with it?

When I played the game I never did any background stuff. I wonder if the bug is related to not handling that scenario correctly.

Servbot24

Banned
Consumers being anti-consumer is a puzzler to me.

I'm an account manager for major worldwide clients. If one of them called me and started cussing me out I'd hang up on them until they calm down and conduct themselves like decent people (actually that has happened - a few times).

You're not wrong, that's why I edited the OP to try and chill my language out. I've also had a few drinks as I'm currently vacationing in Japan. Regardless, it's absurd that there hasn't even been a minor patch out yet to try and fix this. It shouldn't have even passed cert.

To be fair, they're likely a small dev team and its more efficient for them to package up fixes and code/test/cert them in one hit. I'm sure they're not holding it back for no good reason.

nynt9

Maybe they should have done QA before releasing a broken game?

I couldn't get into my switch after locking it while the game was open. Had to run the battery out. It's weird.

Also unrelated to the power issues, sometimes I touch one of those rotating blocks in chemical plant zone even though they're moving horizontally, they'll just kill me on touch for no reason.

OP, delete the game and redownload it. Everyone playing Sonic on Switch has a delay when going into the home menu or sleep mode, but your issue is worse than that. The OS isn't even recognizing your inputs. You're still controlling Knuckles in that video, despite the Power menu being on the screen.

Same exact thing happened to me. I re-downloaded the game when I purchased a new SD card and I couldn't get the game to exit to the home menu or power down. I deleted the file and re-downloaded the game again and everything is "fine" now. I say "fine" in quotes, because there's still a 5-10 second delay when putting the system in sleep mode while playing Sonic Mania and a 2-3 second delay when trying to go to the home menu, but it works.

tldr: Delete Sonic Mania file and re-download from the eShop. Hopefully that fixes it. If not, try it again. If it still doesn't work, pray for a patch soon.

Maybe they should have done QA before releasing a broken game?

I couldn't get into my switch after locking it while the game was open. Had to run the battery out. It's weird.

On most any modern device, you can hold the power button for X number of seconds to force a full shutdown.

What the fuck are you talking about? Buying a product and expecting it to function correctly from the start isnt spoiled. Its god damn assumed. Get outta here with this crap.

zigg

Yeah, this stuff put me off the game for a bit, but I came back to it and completed my first run shortly after.

One of the weirder home-menu glitches I've dealt with was after that—it popped the system menu in on the right, but the controls still operated the game. Had to keep poking Home until it finally backgrounded the game so I could put the system to sleep.

The time it informed me it was going to reboot my entire system due to an error of some sort was fun too.

Thankfully, 95% of the time it works pretty well.

Top Bottom