• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hidden Golf game on Switch accessible via feels

The prospect of the countless tribute videos that will arise next year as people all over the world will play this game using Iwata's gesture is tearing me up. This is an amazing tribute

The guy at gameXplain doing his video had to work at keeping it together

Steejee

I had no idea Iwata did NES Golf. That's a pretty amazing Switch easter egg.

I played the shit out of that game. So many mornings before school I'd play it while eating breakfast, which is a bit crazy in retrospect as Wii Golf is probably the only other golf video game I've ever put much time into.

Hey, it was post 27, not "a few" posts in! I tune out quickly when the first 20 replies are variations of "OMG!"

Actually, I read it yesterday. I just wasn't understanding. Pretty cool little tribute.

I didn't read all posts in sequence (I almost never do)... I just read/skimmed a few on the first page, then jumped to the last page and read a few (including yours). Many GAF threads moves too fast to keep up with, so I usually sample a few posts from the beginning and end when I see a long thread :)

Watched GameXplain's video on this Yesterday and was very moved. Good to see it confirmed, and the fact that you have to do the "Direct" pose just elevates this so much. What an amazing tribute. Kinda hard for me to not let a tear or two out.

Cuburt

Seeing the videos, I don't think this was meant to be discovered since it seems the game is missing some sound effects and maybe animations of the ball. Well, I supposed since it's accessible by anyone on the right day it is a discoverable easter egg, but I don't think Nintendo intended for it to be really played seriously, which gives the idea that this is an omamori or a tribute more validity imo.

Really interesting that they seem to have added motion control to the game as well (although I haven't seen video of anyone trying it) and an overlay for how to do it (guess it's not technically an overlay since they just put it in the 4:3 aspect ratio sidebars), so it must be the original game since it needs to run on an emulator, but they also tweaked with parts of it as well? Possibly a test in retrofitting stuff like online play and motion controls to the original games?

Such a cool find.

Oh come on, Iwata is a legend, had a great sense of humor proven by the muppets e3 presentation and the thread title didn't say nes open. Did I also mention this easter egg is amazing?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Almost certainly the work of a rogue programmer meant as a tribute. The day of his death is a bit of a downer... His birthday makes more sense if it was an intentional thing.

Wonder if Iwata was working on this personally?
Unix clock starts form 0:00:00 on 1st of Jan 1970, and so do all unix derivatives. So dates before that are non-representable in the clock.

CazTGG

Saw this earlier and :(

R836VUq.png

https://twitter.com/sprsk/status/910296263291105280

I...i'm not crying...

giphy.webp

There's a huge mix of emotions inside of me right now.

RIP Mr. Iwata. Even now it's hard to know that you're no longer here. I can't wait to try this on July 11th next year.

Iwata was already made into a character in Zelda BotW, now this hidden Golf tribute to him...He was really loved by his employees. :(

seady

Wow I am in awe.

and now feel like Iwata is inside my Switch now.

Someone needs to change the thread title to highlight the Iwata remembrance part.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Wow, NES Golf got an incredible amount of playtime in my youth. Crazy, but unsurprising, that man was also responsible for it.

I had no idea Iwata did NES Golf. That's a pretty amazing Switch easter egg.

I played the shit out of that game. So many mornings before school I'd play it while eating breakfast, which is a bit crazy in retrospect as Wii Golf is probably the only other golf video game I've ever put much time into.

Funny you mention that: they both have the same courses!

c8ad5d36eeb3d735c649244bd0f8dd6f-wii-sports-golf-courses-are-the-same-as-nes-golf.jpg

Gsnap

So carrying a Switch around will also give me protection and luck. :)

Damn... :(

Oh dang, I didn't even make that connection. That's definitely an interesting way to look at it. Putting a sort of good luck charm in a something you carry around with you does make it just a little bit more special.

This might be the best easter egg ever.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Funny you mention that: they both have the same courses!

c8ad5d36eeb3d735c649244bd0f8dd6f-wii-sports-golf-courses-are-the-same-as-nes-golf.jpg

Yes, but the tribute was to Kenji Miki, Nintendo designer who worked on a lot of the early Famicom titles. He was also the lead designer of the entire GOLF series for Nintendo. (He gets credited in the actual game). Nintendo dedicated one of the Wii Sports golf maps to an exact map he designed on the Famicom version.

Iwata was involved with the programming team on Golf. It was a few members from HAL helping out on the code according to 1011 interview. Nintendo did the design and music like all the HAL involvement jobs besides Kirby in those days.

Unix clock starts form 0:00:00 on 1st of Jan 1970, and so do all unix derivatives. So dates before that are non-representable in the clock.

That's not true. time_t is a signed integer value(32 bit or 64bit depending on compiler used and target platform). Dates before January 1st, 1970 can be represented as a negative offset from 0 in most unix based platforms.

Top Bottom