• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you want crossplay on PS4? Make your voices be heard.

Arzehn

I want this in some cases, but in the cases where the data is stored locally on the machine instead of a server then it's easy to hack, make duplicates of items, and basically compromise online markets (if there is one).

For example, in Diablo 3 people hacked on the PS3 and then imported their characters into the PS4 (which on it own was secure).

So apparently Monster Hunter World is playable offline, this means the character data is stored on the system, I don't want to share server's with a cheater if that's the case.

I'm primarily a PC gamer, but in the current case I would play games like MHW on console for the main reason to avoid cheaters...

Yudoken

Thanks for this mate. Do you think we should use the same hashtag as you did then? Do you have any ideas?

My suggestion?
It's time to bring back #unitegamers
F8zWXIM.jpg

This time with Nintendo on board and without the last two xbox related twitter handles.

This can easily get old news in the next week so we have to make sure to make our wish clear.

This is more important than most people even can imagine.

Think of the bigger picture.

Any 3rd party game could potentially be xplay if they allow it.

This has nothing to do with resources, Sony does not need to do on their end other than give the permission.

MrS

Banned
Would rather Sony used all of their resources to fund better games tbh. Crossplay isn't even on my radar. It's low priority stuff.

KageMaru

Being able to play with another game on another platform has been done. Crossplay like this, potentially between all platforms across a mounting number of games has not been done. By all means though, share your opinion if you have one. The more discussion the better!

Yeah it would be awesome if I could play with all of my friends, regardless of what platform they are on.

Agent X

Plus Switch multi don't you have to jump through hoops for voice chat?

That's on Nintendo's shoulders to figure that out.

As it stands now, cross-platform play in Rocket League doesn't include voice chat. I don't know if that would change by the time the Switch version is released, but if it does, then that would be up to Nintendo to have their solution properly implemented.

Let's take this one step at a time. Just having the doors opened to combined pool of players would be great progress. Once we get over that hurdle, then developers can work out how they want to handle cross-platform communication.

LNBL

Would rather Sony used all of their resources to fund better games tbh. Crossplay isn't even on my radar at this juncture.
Doesn't the developer deliver all the resources? One dev stated its a simple case of flipping a switch, they need Sony's permission.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Would rather Sony used all of their resources to fund better games tbh

Sony has to do nothing to make this work except give approval. Not taking away from any resources from first party development. Rocket league developers have it already to go as will Microsoft.

Siege.exe

Honestly it is one more step that can be hacked.
Plus it is a hassle.

I've been fortunate enough to not have experience it myself, but I don't think not having EA/Ubi games automatically logging you into Origin/Uplay would save anyone from having their PSN accounts hacked, and considering the fact that you will not receive emails or store information on those account unless you specifically choose to do so, they're not exactly risky things to have. And how is something that you do not have to interact with in any way you do not wish a hassle?

Compared to say the rather successful anti-DRM campaign that took place in 2013, I'm finding it a little hard to feel invigorated for this particular fight. It would be nice, obviously, but it's not actually a feature I can imagine myself using that much. Without some kind of unified chat system, for example, I wouldn't really want to cross play with someone on a different platform anyway. Perhaps there are some smaller games where cross play would make a big difference to the viability of their online modes but this isn't the case with any of the titles so far in question. As for the Minecraft situation of having to log into Xbox to do it, I can very much understand why Sony wouldn't want to enable it.

Right now though this whole issue just seems so wildly exaggerated when I start to think through the potential use cases I might have for it. I guess it really comes down to this line from the interview:

"Well, you must see that PlayStation owners are upset. They want to play with Switch owners, PC owners and Xbox One owners for these two big and important games, and they don't have an explanation why. That's what I'm getting at, really."

I'm just not seeing this legion of upset PlayStation fans. It feels a bit... fabricated. I'm not against cross play, in fact I'm for it, I'm just not ready to pick up a pitchfork.
While an option to voice chat with cross platform players doesn't exist, allowing cross platform play this gen is the first step in integration in the future.

Also I'll just copy paste this from a different thread:

I wasn't on GAF back then, but what made Sony decide to get rid of Ps3's boomerang controllers?

what made Sony decide to put rumble back in Sixaxis?

what made sucker punch redesign cole for Infamous 2?

what made bioware come out with an extended cut to Me3?

what made mS do the xbox 180?

what made ND come out and address the Nadine Ross controversy in Uc4?
in each of those cases it sure wasn't a "legion" of fans who made a difference but a very vocal minority, that vocal community being the internet communities you find such as GAF itself.

bosh

Didn't think it was a priority in all the other threads. Still don't think it's a priority now with this one.

MCD250

Just use the hashtag #PS4crossplay

People are already using this to request it.

No need to make it more difficult by using "crossplayers"
Crossplayers has a nice ring to it though, likr you're a crossdresser who cosplays characters of another gender.

EmiPrime

Sorry OP, I support Ryan and his efforts to keep PlayStation children safe from the mean Xbox and Switch children. #wontsomebodypleasethinkofthechildren

Jagernaut

Lot's of people did not read my scenarios on why crossplay would be nice to have...

Here I will make it easy,

"If after just reading the description you don't know why you should want it, let me try (lol) to paint you a picture of a possible future for gamers.

You are going on a trip with family or even alone. You or your kids or friends take your mobile devices with you and when bored use them to play x game while on the road, at the hotel or wherever you please. You are having tons of fun progressing through the game with friends online or alone. Now, you arrive home exhausted and want to sit and relax so you boot up device of choice and load up x game and pickup where you last left off.

OR

You are at the office, you play x game with your co-workers when taking breaks. Some on mobile devices some on PC some on console. X game has a shared world. The clock ticks the magic number and it's time to go home. A bunch of fellow employees ask if you are going to be on and you say yes. You go home and can choose whatever device you desire to load up x game and jump back in with your friends in the same world.

This whole time you never had to stop and think about what companies hardware ecosystem you had the game on and that you had to build your life around in order to make this happen."

I read this but it's not important to me at all. I'm not advocating against it, people can do what they want, but I don't care about it.

It's because it mostly affects a casual game Minecraft. If it was let's say destiny that got gimped over this be more outrage. Once the Minecraft update comes out Sony will hear it from that user base big time.

I hope people realize that now is the time to push. If all platforms are on board, it opens the door for things like cross-saves in Destiny and other Player Friendly functionality.

Prediction -
Destiny will eventually allow crossplay between Xbox and PC.

David___

Banned
Would rather Sony used all of their resources to fund better games tbh. Crossplay isn't even on my radar. It's low priority stuff.

A dev has the tech ready. They need to literally hit a checkbox in a web browser to enable cross play for all systems

And besides, 3rd party devs would need to make the tech themselves anyway depending on how they want to implement it

Mikey Jr.

Don't give a duck in the slightest.

If it happens, great. If not, then thats fine too. But I'm not gonna put any effort into this because I can't imagine a scenario where any of this would apply to me.

rothbart

It's my understanding that Microsoft (owner of Mojang) wants every platform to sign in with an Xbox Live account for Minecraft crossplay. I can understand why Sony wouldn't want to deal with Xbox Live accounts on PS4 and (I'm assuming) all that comes with it.

I like to play Rocket League. It would be nice to be able to play with Xbox One players (and eventually Switch players as well).

Even if you don't care about Rocket League or Minecraft, there's a possibility this could affect another future game that you do care about. It would be good to convince Sony to embrace cross-platform play now, while the list of games is relatively short, than to wait until a larger number of games are out and the whole thing gets more complicated.

Well, one of those platforms is "open" and doesn't have a singular central "platform holder", but I get your point.

Regardless of how the various video game console manufacturers felt about this in the past, we have to keep their current positions in consideration.

Yup, if this doesn't succeed, a whole lot of people here are going to be doing this,

this-is-not-fine-009-a7b6e6.png

Just use the hashtag #PS4crossplay

People are already using this to request it.

No need to make it more difficult by using "crossplayers"

Seconded. The more direct the better. #PS4crossplay

Agreed, I changed it.

My suggestion?
It's time to bring back #unitegamers
F8zWXIM.jpg

This time with Nintendo on board and without the last two xbox related twitter handles.

This can easily get old news in the next week so we have to make sure to make our wish clear.

This is more important than most people even can imagine.

Think of the bigger picture.

Any 3rd party game could potentially be xplay if they allow it.

This has nothing to do with recourses, they literally have nothing to do on their end other than give permission.

I guess people are already using #PS4Crossplay so lets hope for the best. I added @yosp though.

LNBL

It's my understanding that Microsoft (owner of Mojang) wants every platform to sign in with an Xbox Live account for Minecraft crossplay. I can understand why Sony wouldn't want to deal with Xbox Live accounts on PS4 and (I'm assuming) all that comes with it.

What about Rocket League? Which does not require anything

I don't. I would gladly make an xbl gamertag if that's all it takes to play Minecraft with my friend on Xbone.

Creating a gamertag doesn't uncreate my PsN account

Derp2Herp

Neo Member
No but I do want fucking refunds within a certain amount of play time. If Sony doesn't budge on their refund stance by the time the One X comes out i'm gonna buy one and start buying multi plats on the One X.

CookTrain

If it happens, great. If not, then thats fine too. But I'm not gonna put any effort into this because I can't imagine a scenario where any of this would apply to me.

Interestingly, one of the most recent posts you started seems to suggest maybe you can imagine a scenario. While talking about Planetside:

Honestly, if you're worried about playerbase and whether you can find battles, don't.

In the morning and early afternoon, I'll admit, it can be pretty dead. But afternoon/evening, there is PLENTY of fights to be had.

Cross play being more ubiquitous would help in exactly that problem.

KageMaru

Do you only know PlayStation owners? A few people have echoed this sentiment and I was curious. Maybe because I hop around to various platforms all the time but I have different friends on the Xbox, PS4, and PC and it sucks needing to double dip to play with all of them.

The only way I'd truly care is if there was crossplay in Destiny. I'd love to be able to play with my younger brother who is on Xbox.

With that said, the only way to potentially get to that point is for Sony to take the first step.

gamz

I hope people realize that now is the time to push. If all platforms are on board, it opens the door for things like cross-saves in Destiny and other Player Friendly functionality.

Prediction -
Destiny will eventually allow crossplay between Xbox and PC.

Bolder prediction - just about every MP will. It helps the Dev keep the community going for longer.

Kyrios

You can put me down in the "don't care" group as I am mostly a single player gamer, but I would definitely not be against it as it would really help the lesser known games and their communities.

Do you only know PlayStation owners? A few people have echoed this sentiment and I was curious. Maybe because I hop around to various platforms all the time but I have different friends on the Xbox, PS4, and PC and it sucks needing to double dip to play with all of them.

Certainly possible. All but two of my IRL friends own a PS4.

JP

Yeah, not for me. Like other people on here, it's just not something that I'd use, particularly if it did require third party services.

Good luck, I suppose.

TheKeyPit

Banned
It should be important for everyone. We've gotta tear down those walls and play together. We're one big family.

Nintendo players, PC players, Playstation players and Xbox players playing together. Close your eyes and imagine living in such a world and tell me that you wouldn't want something like that.

This is our playground! We've gotta fight for such a bright future where everyone plays together, no matter on which platform.

Top Bottom