• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destructoid writer let go over including relevant information in a story?

Kurdel

Banned
There is absolutely nothing wrong with outing a liar and cheat.

Considering it was an integral part of the story, I see no issue with how the journalist acted.

The reason we wouldn't see so much drama in other industries is because of the incestful nature of games journalists and deveoppers.

TUSR

Banned
Fired for outing a scam artist that had $30k in donations by saying she had metal poisoning from shrapnel from a car accident when in fact she was going to use it for gender reassignment?

He did nothing wrong. The scam artist is the one at fault here and the journalist is the one to shoulder the blame? Such horseshit.

Should cross post this story to OT. They will have a field day with it.

kodt

Banned
He did nothing wrong. The scam artist is the one at fault here and the journalist is the one to shoulder the blame? Such horseshit.

Agreed, this story has been politicized. This has nothing to do with the Trans community other than that it was a necessary detail to explain this story.

TheGamer

Essentially, Destructoid is saying to its journalists that they should cover up scams and let people blindly donate to a lie. By suspending Allistair Pinsof without pay, it is creating an incentive for its journalists to cover up scams, because if they do not, they will be suspended without pay. How are we suppose to believe Destructoid's credibility in its stories after its action against Pinsof? I didn't see Pinsof out anyone, I just saw how he told truth about what had occurred.

The story doesn't make sense to me. Can someone clear up whether he was suspended for confirming the rumours or whether it was for something else e.g. derogative language used?

So outing someone as a trans is some sacred evil that cannot be done unless it is to prevent a bomb in times square?

Perhaps outing someone for the sake of outing someone is wrong, but it was necessary to explain the story.

that's just it. it really wasn't. he writes an article saying she doesn't need life saving surgery, and then leaves her to decide if she wants to reveal what she really wanted the money for or not.

every time someone robs a bank, I don't feel like I need to know what they were hoping to spend the money on to 'understand' the story. They wanted money they didn't have and tried to get it through illicit means.

You can expose the fraud without outing this person. It isn't either or. Let's stop acting like he had no choice.

redlemon

Yes, the writer did nothing illegal, but that doesn't mean outing a person like that is morally right and something we should be lining up to defend.

I could be wrong since I don't live in america but it kind of does. In europe anyways your right to privacy in certain circumstances has a lesser priority than the public interest and fraud definitely comes under the public interest. Of course this could be moot since I don't know how privacy works in america.

Gotta love a system where if you do your job too well, you get fired.

I disagree he did his job well. Maybe in terms of finding out the truth but there's no way how he conveyed it to the public could be considered a job well done.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
So outing someone as a trans is some sacred evil that cannot be done unless it is to prevent a bomb in times square?

Perhaps outing someone for the sake of outing someone is wrong, but it was necessary to explain the story.

This is how I feel too. If he truly was blackmailed for being responsible for a suicide attempt, all the info should come out.

FoneBone

1. He hasn't been fired yet.
2. The story doesn't need the details of what exactly she was planning on spending the money on. All he had to reveal was that she didn't need life threatening surgery, and then she could have decided if she wanted to go ahead to try to get the SRS on a separate fund raiser.
3. I am not defending her actions, but I don't think two wrongs make a right. Yes, the writer did nothing illegal, but that doesn't mean outing a person like that is morally right and something we should be lining up to defend.
4. No one's free speech has been infringed here. A company can fire someone for publicly taking a position they don't like. It doesn't remove that persons right to express that opinion. Destructoid are not required to provide any belief a platform.

Fucking thank you.

kirblar

that's just it. it really wasn't. he writes an article saying she doesn't need life saving surgery, and then leaves her to decide if she wants to reveal what she really wanted the money for or not.

every time someone robs a bank, I don't feel like I need to know what they were hoping to spend the money on to 'understand' the story. They wanted money they didn't have and tried to get it through illicit means.
The problem is that she's still going to be soliciting donations under those false pretenses until someone actively tells people the real reason and forces a change in behavior/creates awareness. Holding that info back is doing the public a massive disservice

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Yeah, I'm not entirely sure how he did anything wrong. Isn't his job as a journalism to...be a journalist? It's morally reprehensible to out someone before they're ready, but would this have been a problem had he merely said "she doesn't need this surgery. It's for something else"?

I can understand how difficult it can be to set up a campaign to ask for money for SRS, but I don't see how that justifies lying about elective surgery, and pretending it's instead some other required life-or-death procedure.

I don't really understand what's going on in this whole situation, so someone may have to explain this to me.

Domstercool

You can expose the fraud without outing this person. It isn't either or. Let's stop acting like he had no choice.

That's kind of different compared to a person having a hidden agenda in a PUBLIC donation plea. It's horrible, it's the worst kind of thief.

Imagine if you knew your donations to some charity was actually going towards something bad........it's just misleading and to do it in front of the public, and with no shame? Geees.....

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Not sure how this is game related

It's an article posted on a gaming website with contextual ties to a Kickstarter started by an indie game developer. It's no less tangential than threads about entertainment apps on the X360.

I've never heard of this. This is so strange. What the hell is going on? Even reading his post, I don't necessarily see why he got fired.

Wut?

If he said she didn't need it for life saving surgery people are inevitably going to ask why, so he told them.

The only reason this is an issue is because the person is transgendered************************************************************** (dunno why there are stars after the word) Destructoid are just trying to cover their own asses wether they are in the right or wrong, it's disgusting how people have to walk on eggshells around issues like this and this is coming from someone who is gay.

Jac_Solar

Huh? A criminal is a criminal. He did the thing journalists are supposed to do, even though he had held it back for awhile. It doesn't matter what race, creed, sexual affiliation or whatever a person may be; a criminal is a criminal, a scammer is a scammer. Are certain groups of people supposed to be above the law now? The only logical scenario here is that he's being fired for witholding the information for so long..

Effect

Seriously. He could have gotten across what she was lying easily. No one has a problem with that. That should have been brought to light. What she was trying to do was wrong. Period.

However he did not have to actually out her the way he did. He shouldn't have done that. That was all kinds of wrong. That is why he's in trouble and he deserves to be. Even if he was working for a newspaper, etc that action wouldn't be tolerated. That puts people's lives in actual danger and calling yourself a journalist does not excuse you from that. This is why there are ethnics classes and rules that exist for journalist.

He did the thing journalists

Crappy situation and I'm trying to figure out why it's relevant to Destructoid at all. He's not a journalist and this wasn't journalism.

I understand the situation with trans/LGBT and womens issues with games. Do these issues require gaming websites to make investigative revelations about non gaming LGBT issues? Not in the slightest.

He should have left it be because it really wasn't any of his business nor was it the business or policy of his employer to focus on or investigate that issue.

Nags

Banned
I hate liars.
I also hate opportunist journos that shit on people for gain. Both are at fault in their own ways.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Scam artist? It's not like she was trying to get hundreds of thousands of dollars to record a podcast.

$30,000 isn't pitance. that's cash that she stole from people under false pretenses.

I hate liars.
I also hate opportunist journos that shit on people for gain. Both are at fault in their own ways.

what was he going to gain?

Either he releases the info and she commits suicide or he does nothing and she walks away with 30 large in ill gotten gains.

This was always lose lose for him.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Did he out her before the suicide broadcast? From reading this, it looks like he mentioned the details afterward.

Yes, he mentioned the deets because after she'd done what she threatened to do with no relation to his actions, the threat didn't exist anymore so it wasn't "on him" so to speak.

I guess the trans community is up in arms over mentioning her "male" name and things like that. I mean if you want liars and cheats to be the paragons of your movement, by all means form angry mobs and batter down people's doors on those absurd basis.

Wut?

If he said she didn't need it for life saving surgery people are inevitably going to ask why, so he told them.

all that needs to be established is that she doesn't need life saving surgery. that establishes that she is a liar and a con artist. the details of what she really wanted to spend the money on don't have to be made public.

again, when I read a story about a bank robber, it never bothers to say why they wanted the money, and this doesn't bother me. does it bother you?

BibiMaghoo

So...

Why did this journalist make it personal? That seems to be the issue here. He was doing a job, and did it well enough it seems, but then was asked to drop it, and made it a personal twitter spat?

That makes no sense at all.

To involved it seems.

legacyzero

Banned
So somebody does some great journalism in this industry, tries to help somebody, exposes them, and then gets grilled for it?

Is that how I'm understanding all this?

Jburton

Banned
2. The story doesn't need the details of what exactly she was planning on spending the money on. All he had to reveal was that she didn't need life threatening surgery, and then she could have decided if she wanted to go ahead to try to get the SRS on a separate fund raiser.
3. I am not defending her actions, but I don't think two wrongs make a right. Yes, the writer did nothing illegal, but that doesn't mean outing a person like that is morally right and something we should be lining up to defend.
4. No one's free speech has been infringed here. A company can fire someone for publicly taking a position they don't like. It doesn't remove that persons right to express that opinion. Destructoid are not required to provide any belief a platform.

1. He probably will be.

2. She was trying to / was committing fraud, he did not purposely set out to "out" her ..... more so to state what the money was actually for.

3. He is a journo who is detailing a story, the story is in the details ........ they are only doing this because somebody did not like the truth he stated, why would someone's gender / sexual oreintation protect them from being exposed as a someone committing fraud.

A crime is a crime, unfortunately this persons fragile state of mind and sexual orientation and gender status is creating a situation that would not exist otherwise.

Also if it is true that Chloe tried to commit suicide based on the fact that her lie was about to be exposed is sad and unfortunate but adds weight to the fact that she knew she had done wrong.

This is an unfortunate mess but I do not believe someone should lose their job for doing their job, he used no language of hate or anything like that ..... he just presented a story of facts.

So he says..."Unfortunately, Chloe is lying. The money is not going to be used for life-saving surgery. It's going to be used for surgery that has very little; if anything at all to do with Chloe's physical health."

Because the people reading it are going to be satisfied with a vague reference to another kind of surgery right?

He didn't do anything wrong.

Disagreed. Any journalist worth a damn would try to find out what the scam artist was really intending. Be it just a simple con, or if it was in fact for a specific reason.

I also like how Chloe apparently got all of the money from that fundraiser that got shut down already.

IndieGoGo has people for this, and an automated system. It triggered. Should've left it at that.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
And that justifies outing her?

You people are sick.

nothing justifies outing her except when in a story like this and as a member of the LGBT community, no, I'm not sick.

She did something wrong and instead of doing the right thing and returning the money without harm done she decides to attempt suicide thus forcing his hand.

Either he doesn't tell someone the real reason and be called a monster for causing this or he does tell someone about the situation and is called a monster for outing her.

He was never going to win.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
all that needs to be established is that she doesn't need life saving surgery. that establishes that she is a liar and a con artist. the details of what she really wanted to spend the money on don't have to be made public.

again, when I read a story about a bank robber, it never bothers to say why they wanted the money, and this doesn't bother me. does it bother you
?

There's a big difference between robbing a bank and soliciting money under false pretenses.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Wut?

That's silly. He could simply say "It's not my place to tell". Journalists don't seem to have an issue not telling the public about the 100's of games they see in preview. The least he could do is not tell inquiring minds about the sensitive and private matters of another individual.

Polari

Scam artist? It's not like she was trying to get hundreds of thousands of dollars to record a podcast.

What the fuck? She tried to fleece people of money through false pretences. That's a serious crime. The fact your fanbase is stupid enough to give you money for a podcast isn't.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed

again, when I read a story about a bank robber, it never bothers to say why they wanted the money, and this doesn't bother me. does it bother you?

...what?

Instead of a bank robber, which isn't a good analogy at all, let's use an example of someone pretending to need donations towards a medical procedure that will save their life. Now it turns out they don't have a medical emergency, but need it for "something else."

Explain to me why its good journalism if the person reporting the story knows what that "something else" actually is but chooses not to report on it.

nothing justifies outing her except when in a story like this and as a member of the LGBT community, no, I'm not sick.

She did something wrong and instead of doing the right thing and returning the money without harm done she decides to attempt suicide thus forcing his hand.

Either he doesn't tell someone the real reason and be called a monster for causing this or he does tell someone about the situation and is called a monster for outing her.

He was never going to win

That's kinda what I was seeing, too. Sucks, man. :/

Top Bottom