• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

To smartphone owners: Will you get a PlayStation Vita?

Kosma

Banned
Exactly, the controls of the Vita are amazing. But why would I want another portable device, next to my phone that is, to carry around and play games that still would be better played in long sessions, on a big screen etc.

Portable phones now offer the on the go gaming, for at home gaming I have at home console/PC.

I still think both Vita and 3DS are viable, but in a much more niche way. 3DS for kids that don't have good phones yet, a real toy. And Vita to hardcore enthousiasts. (not saying that 3DS wont be played by hardcore enthousiasts, it will obviously too, but that won't be the main crowd imho as tech heads will flock to PSP).

(I'm a previous owner of a GB, Game Gear, GBA, DS, PSP. This will be the first gen without me having a portable.)

Kosma

Banned
SmokyDave said:
The 'best played' bit is the crux, I suspect. Vita is close, but it still ain't the 7.1 / 1080p big screen affair that PC (and to a lesser extent console) gaming is.

Pretty much. Vita is really, really nice. But when at home I still have better options.

Because of the type of games I prefer playing, it isn't even a question. I am getting a vita. My phone shall remain as it is. Personally I do not like gaming without buttons.

Negaiido

SmokyDave said:
The 'best played' bit is the crux, I suspect. Vita is close, but it still ain't the 7.1 / 1080p big screen affair that PC (and to a lesser extent console) gaming is.

I doubt anyone would use 7.1 for a PC though, you would need a special corner for your PC. It's not something you just hang in your living room.

Carl

Definitely. Own a HTC Desire S. Only games i ever play on it are Grand Prix Story and Game Dev Story. And i get bored of them quickly. No question about me getting a vita.

SmokyDave

Negaiido said:
I doubt anyone would use 7.1 for a PC though, you would need a special corner for your PC. It's not something you just hang in your living room.
My HTPC begs to differ, it's just a big console in a different case ;)

Rolf NB

Kosma said:
Portable phones now offer the on the go gaming, for at home gaming I have at home console/PC.
But phone gaming is so limited by dem controls!

(and the eternal circle of this thread can continue for another day)

Kosma

Banned
Rolf NB said:
But phone gaming is so limited by dem controls!

(and the eternal circle of this thread can continue for another day)

:)

Bu bu bu

I guess the consumer will decide with their wallet (or have they already seeing the 3DS price bomba?).

I'll be getting a Vita.

Gaming on smart phones and being content with that is like only gaming on Kinect and being fine with that.

thebeeks

Banned
I fully expect to get a Vita eventually, but not at launch.

It's not that I prefer gaming on my iPhone, I just want to see the system's library after a year or two.

Mastgrr

Kosma said:
Exactly, the controls of the Vita are amazing. But why would I want another portable device, next to my phone that is, to carry around and play games that still would be better played in long sessions, on a big screen etc.

I still think both Vita and 3DS are viable, but in a much more niche way. 3DS for kids that don't have good phones yet, a real toy. And Vita to hardcore enthousiasts. (not saying that 3DS wont be played by hardcore enthousiasts, it will obviously too, but that won't be the main crowd imho as tech heads will flock to PSP).

(I'm a previous owner of a GB, Game Gear, GBA, DS, PSP. This will be the first gen without me having a portable.)

Same here. I'm a life-long handheld gamer. I really haven't found Nintendo nor Sony to motivate me enough as to why I should pay $250 for another console to drag around + $40 per game + carry around cartridges. Doing everything in one device really works, and the games are cheap & good & satisfactory too.

Top Bottom