• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Omaha |OT| We Swear We're More Than the College World Series

Status
Not open for further replies.
I lived on Offutt AFB from '91-'97. Don't remember too much of Omaha, except when we went to malls or movie theaters. I did go to the Henry Doorly Zoo for a field trip once, and later went with my family.

Quite frankly though, I have no real nostalgia for the place, and have no intention of going back.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I lived on Offutt AFB from '91-'97. Don't remember too much of Omaha, except when we went to malls or movie theaters. I did go to the Henry Doorly Zoo for a field trip once, and later went with my family.

Quite frankly though, I have no real nostalgia for the place, and have no intention of going back.

Well damn if you lived there for 6 years and only did that much stuff, I presume you wouldn't really nostalgia for anything! You missed out, though.

Willenium

hahaha, an omaha thread on NEOGAF. what the hell???

Why the hell would anyone make this thread? I live here and i hate myself every single day

Cunninghams on 120th and Blondo is amazing pub food. Get the avocado chicken sandwhich.

Frank's New York Pizza on 132nd and Dodge has great lunch specials, 2 slices and a drink for like, 5 bucks.

King Kong is classic, but if you want other great Gyro's hit up Legacy gyro's on West Center and 168th, good stuff.

Fernando's is the best secret mexican food place in town, around 9 buck for whatever but you get enough food for two days. On 114th and Dodge.

i think i can see why you have yourself every single day. west O is a characterless monochromatic suburban nightmare.

RESTAURANTS:
stella's in bellevue. quite possibly the best burger in the greater omaha area. no plates, no problems.

don & millie's. get some food, get a lot of $1 margaritas and $1.50 bottles. a friend of mine recently smoked several cigarettes inside the one on saddle creek road and nobody said anything to him. "NO RULES. JUST RIGHT."

three happiness on leavenworth. cheap, fast, awesome chinese food.

BARS:
the elbow room on the corner of 50th and center. CHEAP draws, free shuffleboard.

VENUES:
the slowdown, barley street tavern, the sydney... all good. do not go to the waiting room. drinks and tickets are always way overpriced

i was going to get married on home plate at Rosenblatt Stadium. now i am never going to get married.

EDIT: as far as pizza goes, i think Varsity kicks the shit out of Zio's any day of the week.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I think my buddy might still work at Three Happiness. It is definitely good cheap chinese food. That QT at the bottom of the hill probably sold me a few thousand gallons of Dr. Pepper in my lifetime. :p

By Varsity, do you mean Roman Coin? I do really like that place, too, but we might be thinking of different places.

Heh, grew up there, don't remember it being called The Magic City, but that's probably just me. I do get weird looks from time to time for living in Austin and walking around wearing my Husker's cap.

You have done a terrible thing leaving Grisanti's off of your Food list. I dream about their soup and salad probably at least once a week, and their garlic bread is damn good too. I fully intend to partake in all three while visiting family these coming holidays.

see5harp

I didn't think the zoo was all that great. I was enrolled in Animal Behavior at Creighton my senior year and had free reign of the zoo whenever I wanted, and that was the year the desert opened. I remember two of my friends lived over there near rosenblatt and that area was SUPER shitty. Worse than north/south Omaha for sure.

I grew up right off of 48th and center and always saw that BBQ place you are talking about. Never tried it because of how crappy the building always looked. Might have to give it a try sometime whenever I am closer to midtown.

It's such a small little building isn't it. My dad showed it to me because he knows the owner, so that's really the only reason I got into it. I had them deliver pulled pork for my grad party a few years back because it's so good. Anytime I'm hungry and find myself in that area, I always go in and get something.

FyreWulff

Heh, grew up there, don't remember it being called The Magic City, but that's probably just me. I do get weird looks from time to time for living in Austin and walking around wearing my Husker's cap.

It's technically an old nickname for South Omaha. Just trying for something eye catching.

I didn't think the zoo was all that great. I was enrolled in Animal Behavior at Creighton my senior year and had free reign of the zoo whenever I wanted, and that was the year the desert opened. I remember two of my friends lived over there near rosenblatt and that area was SUPER shitty. Worse than north/south Omaha for sure.

that was around right before the zoo started rebuilding itself. Their plans for expansion after they take over the Rosenblatt grounds is crazy. They're gonna be getting rid of that horribly outdated Cat Complex.

Speaking of Midtown, that whole new area at Midtown Crossing is pretty nice. Love the Cinedine theater.

Yeah, they did good work with the Midtown Crossing. I still don't think the condo/apts are very occupied, but it's a fun place to go drink and catch a movie. Crave is good and we enjoy going down there for the summer music stuff they have on Thursdays (or is it Wed?).

Since the election is coming up soon, what are the odds that the second district votes democratic this year and gets an electoral vote?

FyreWulff

Since the election is coming up soon, what are the odds that the second district votes democratic this year and gets an electoral vote?

If everyone actually shows up to vote, it's possible. I don't even care about who splits it, I just like the fact that we can actually do it unlike other states (- Maine).

Jimothy

I've driven through Omaha a couple times on roadtrips. It looks like a really depressing town, just like every other plains city. That entire region is just awful.

Ominym

Banned
I'm originally from Omaha, but go to school in Lincoln. When the fuck has anyone ever called it "The Magic City"?

FyreWulff

I'm originally from Omaha, but go to school in Lincoln. When the fuck has anyone ever called it "The Magic City"?

Explained upthread.

Know what'd be magic? If these fucking clouds would go away. Speaking of Lincoln though, I wish it'd be more feasible to daytrip/go there without needing a car. I like going there to check things out.

Speaking of Midtown, that whole new area at Midtown Crossing is pretty nice. Love the Cinedine theater.

I still need to try that out. I moved out of the area ( was only a few blocks from it) before it really got completed/going.

zomaha

wings: oscar's #1 easily
pizza: johnny sortinos, la casa, don carmelos, zios. mama's is also really good, disagree with the dude that said bland
steak: the drover is #1 and venice inn is also a favorite
burgers: dinker's is the best in omaha, never been to stella's but that's bellevue anyway
bbq: hartland is probably the best, but a childhood favorite is smoke pit

also have to mention california tacos, timeout chicken and pettit's pastry

see5harp

I think I used to go to Smoke Pit like 3 times a week at midnight. that was right down the street from Creighton. That's the scary spot with plastic plates right? In the years since, I've actually experienced good BBQ (I remember a place called McKenna's around 72nd near Nebraska Furniture Mart) so I know Smoke Pit wasn't actually good BBQ, but it was great drunk/high food.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
wings: oscar's #1 easily
pizza: johnny sortinos, la casa, don carmelos, zios. mama's is also really good, disagree with the dude that said bland
steak: the drover is #1 and venice inn is also a favorite
burgers: dinker's is the best in omaha, never been to stella's but that's bellevue anyway
bbq: hartland is probably the best, but a childhood favorite is smoke pit

also have to mention california tacos, timeout chicken and pettit's pastry

Mama's is terrible, but you can get good pizza anywhere. At least you didn't mention the grease abomination that is Big Freds.

You are spot on with Dinker's though. It is the best burger I have ever had anywhere, period.

see5harp

I do have to say that Chinese food is an absolute tragedy in Omaha. I know there aren't that many asians in Nebraska and Iowa but that was a culture shock. I had to visit family in Chicago for decent korean/chinese/japanese and even the Chinese food there is shit compared to California.

Willenium

"Vietnamese Restaurant" next to nebraska furniture mart is easily one of the best asian food joints in town.

anybody else really excited about the Lancers' new auditorium in ralston?

anyone??

FyreWulff

I do have to say that Chinese food is an absolute tragedy in Omaha. I know there aren't that many asians in Nebraska and Iowa but that was a culture shock. I had to visit family in Chicago for decent korean/chinese/japanese and even the Chinese food there is shit compared to California.

You pretty much have to make it yourself. I get my ingredients from the Mekong Market and New Asia Supermarket in South Omaha. If I eat out, it's usually to Top of the World on 83rd and Center. My stepdad showed me a really good buffet in Lincoln, I'll have to ask him the name after he gets off work tonight.

"Vietnamese Restaurant" next to nebraska furniture mart is easily one of the best asian food joints in town.

anybody else really excited about the Lancers' new auditorium in ralston?

anyone??

It's really hard for me to get behind pro teams in Omaha because I figure they'll take off in 3 years. Ralston's new stadium does look pretty neat though. They build up too much and they'll get annexed :p I still need to get around to checking out the Royals Stormchasher's new stadium in Sarpy County.

Updated the restaurants in the OP. I think it might be better to change it from which area of Omaha they're in to a general Omaha heading then have the other headings be the unannexed suburbs, etc

Willenium

as far as public transportation goes, i haven't had a car for the past 2 days and i've had to get to a bus stop TWO HOURS before my shift in order to be on time. i live 10 miles from my work.

FyreWulff

as far as public transportation goes, i haven't had a car for the past 2 days and i've had to get to a bus stop TWO HOURS before my shift in order to be on time. i live 10 miles from my work.

Sounds like our bus system. There's some areas where you can get a bus within 15 minutes and some where you best be out there 2-3 hours or you're not getting to work / getting home.

Before they changed the 3 to run directly from South O -> Midtown -> North O, for me to take a bus all the way from South Omaha to that area around 40th and Dodge required me to go through Downtown first and transfer. They left South O out of the transfer loop there for the longest time.

The downside to the consolidation is if I need to go downtown, I can no longer just wait for the 9 if I miss the 7 leaving/going to downtown. The 9 doesn't go any farther south than Vinton now.

Either way we need to start thinking about some non-bus transit because the city is clearly starting to get too big to be sustainable just with busses.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
If you want wings, you might as well drive to Lincoln and hit the Watering Hole.

Also, coming from a Czech family, Bohemian Cafe is pretty much a staple of family events. It's not fine dining or anything, but it's amazing traditional Czech food, and near the Zoo or Downtown

Willenium

If you want wings, you might as well drive to Lincoln and hit the Watering Hole.

Also, coming from a Czech family, Bohemian Cafe is pretty much a staple of family events. It's not fine dining or anything, but it's amazing traditional Czech food, and near the Zoo or Downtown

blaaarf, if i'm eating anywhere on 13th street in that area, it's the Ethnic Sandwich Shop, Donut Stop or Burger King, haha

FyreWulff

One of my favorite "secret" spots for breakfast is actually the Stockyards Hy-Vee cafe. In the morning, it's staffed entirely by 70 year old German / Polish / Czech women who make AWESOME food. It's pricey though.

Don't bother with later in the day, it switches over to teenagers who couldn't give a fuck.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
blaaarf, if i'm eating anywhere on 13th street in that area, it's the Ethnic Sandwich Shop, Donut Stop or Burger King, haha

Oh come on! It's been there for almost 90 years!

Building_Tour_Main.jpg

43-Bohemian-Cafe-05.jpg

appetizers.jpg

hungry just looking at it

Ominym

Banned
Pizza: Partial to Roman Coin, as the Tommy Boy is phenomenal.
Wings: Buffalo Company. Especially if you like large wings and vinegar.
Italian Food: Marlanas. It's basically a house, in a neighborhood. But it's awesome.

Movies: I really like the Cinedine in Midtown, as it's usually cheaper (food is pricey though). But I'm also a big fan of Aksarben, which has pretty good drink specials.

Also, probably well known, but worth mentioning. Jones Bros cupcakes was nationally recognized by the Food Network as the winner of "Cupcake Wars".

Finally? Fuck, and I mean fuck Blue Moon Fitness.

mollipen

Man. I miss Omaha. Airport is small as fuck, but the town is great.

After having lived in both LA and Osaka, Eppley is mind-blowing. I can walk the length of the main building with the check-in counters in like less than a minute! That's crazy!

I don't want to hear anybody complaining about the weather, because I miss Omaha's seasons so much. I was slapped in the face with that fact when I went back. On the other hand, the more time I spend away from Omaha, the harder it gets to go back. I still love the city, and do still wish I could be back living there sometimes. (If I had the cash to return, but the Cinema Center, and open it back up, that's a dream of mine. *laughs* I miss you so much Cinema Center. *cries*)

For me, though, it's easy to get used to the options that larger cities can present. Omaha's choices for Japanese restaurants are still utterly bare-bones, as is the selection of Asian grocers. (I know there ARE options, but they can't begin to match the selection or prices of what I get here.

Another thought: I really, really wish something interesting would be done with Crossroads. Seems like there's been this slight intention to do something with it for a number of years, but it still just continues to pathetically cling to life. Near where I live now, there's a mall that no doubt used to be your typical indoor mall, but now it's nothing but crazy Asian shops and local stores you've never heard of. I LOVE that! Unlike most other malls that have the same old shops, you go in there, and you don't know what you'll find. That's what I want to see done with Crossroads—offer up great deals on rent for stores that are local to Omaha, and have it be a place you can go where you get a variety of interesting shopping options no other mall can provide. Not that I'm sure these exact shops would go for it, but stuff like Gamers, Gadgeteer, Homers, etc. Make it a mall celebrating Omaha's retail offerings, not just same-old same-old chain shops.

Also, I forgot: Donut Stop! An undeniable trademark of Omaha to me. Also, Imperial Palace Express at Westroads. I know you might think I'm crazy, but they have some of the yummiest chicken fried rice I've ever eaten in my life. Every time I'm back home, that's absolutely on my list of places I have to go.

FyreWulff

Crossroads is thoroughly dead at this point. I've seen the plans for it but not sure if those are still going anywhere. And if you think about it, it's complete mismanagement to have a retail space at 72nd and Dodge and die. Same with Parkfair downtown.

Is Dodge and 72nd still a nightmarish shithole of traffic jams during busy times? I like to think that I'm used to bad traffic now, but I always worry when I plan going back, for whatever reason. Probably all those years trying to get to Family Fun Center going eastbound during rush hour.

FyreWulff

Pretty much. I try to avoid that intersection around rush hour still.

Also finally got around to going out to Elkhorn to get some Game Fuel after a tip by BeekleMatter. No Frills actually staffs their checkout lanes out there!

Also finally got around to going out to Elkhorn to get some Game Fuel after a tip by BeekleMatter. No Frills actually staffs their checkout lanes out there!

YEA!

The Godfathers that started it all is in Elkhorn. All Godfathers but that one are a complete and utter sham.

FyreWulff

YEA!

The Godfathers that started it all is in Elkhorn. All Godfathers but that one are a complete and utter sham.

Yeah I need to stop by a Godfathers again sometime. The South O one went under and died, and the Bellevue one got to be pretty eh.

That was the first time I've been out that far west and not be on I-80. That No Frills is out there in that field all alone, waiting for a neighborhood to be built next to it :lol

FyreWulff

Building_Tour_Main.jpg

43-Bohemian-Cafe-05.jpg

appetizers.jpg

I know where I'm going for eats tomorrow.

Anyone interested in an OmahaGAF meetup in the next two weeks? I nominate Don & Millie's at Midtown (near the Medical Center). Central-ish location near a bus system node.

Canuck76

Banned

Building_Tour_Main.jpg

43-Bohemian-Cafe-05.jpg

appetizers.jpg

Holy Cow man! Just went there like two weeks ago!

This is a frigging salt of the earth Omaha restaurant. Been around a loooongg time. I got the dill turkey i believe? Pretty good and a ton of food.

Also yes Crossroads is pretty scary. I chill at the Barnes and Noble there between work and college and the general mall bathrooms seem like a perfect place to be raped/killed. Great little bin for hypodermic needles. That pretty much says it all.

And i can't believe this dissing of Asian and Japanese food specifically. Blue grill in Legacy? And that KOBE sushi place on like, Dodge and 168th?

There's stuff to complain about in Omaha but i would say asian food isn't one of them.

mollipen

And i can't believe this dissing of Asian and Japanese food specifically. Blue grill in Legacy? And that KOBE sushi place on like, Dodge and 168th?

I know this may make me sound like a stuck-up bitch, but not only do Omaha's Japanese offerings not even begin to compare to what you'll find in Japan, but they don't even come close to bigger cities like LA.

I used to love Sakurabana (back when it was Sushi Ichiban), and I still have a lot of love for Sushi Japan, but the stuff you get at both places is just way too Americanized. I dont mind the trendy fusion stuff at places like Blue sometimes, but if you want real Japanese food, there's so little of it in Omaha.

Also, in terms of quality, you can just tell they don't have a lot of real competition.

I think the comparison I'd make is, like, if the closest think Omaha had to Mexican food was Romeo's. That's how I see the scene in Omaha for Japanese food.

FyreWulff

Having been in Vancouver for the past months, and going back to Vancouver in a while for a year or two, Vancouver's is better.. but mostly in freshness. You can tell the Nebraska restaurants have to have certain ingredients frozen to even make it affordable.

The downside to Vancouver's asian cuisine.. you find a place you like, it's out of business within 4 months due to high restaurant turnover.

And yeah, Vancouver's idea of Mexican Food is basically Romeo's.

Anyway, I went to the meeting about the Q street bridge in South Omaha tonight. I was a bit sad to see such low turnout (it was seriously like.. 5 people, not counting Gernandt) but it's not controversial and single-topic so I guess it's not as exciting to show up for. Apparently that damn bridge (the one that goes over the tracks between 26th & 28th) is currently labeled "fracture critical". They're taking the bridge completely out and replacing it with a new one with a 10 foot wide sidewalk on one side w/ 6 foot high fences to accomodate bicycles. Should be pretty nice when it's done in 2015.

After learning that the city considers the bridge on structural member away from collapse.. we're driving over the L street bridge now when leaving and coming back to South O :p

Canuck76

Banned
I know this may make me sound like a stuck-up bitch, but not only do Omaha's Japanese offerings not even begin to compare to what you'll find in Japan, but they don't even come close to bigger cities like LA.

I used to love Sakurabana (back when it was Sushi Ichiban), and I still have a lot of love for Sushi Japan, but the stuff you get at both places is just way too Americanized. I dont mind the trendy fusion stuff at places like Blue sometimes, but if you want real Japanese food, there's so little of it in Omaha.

Also, in terms of quality, you can just tell they don't have a lot of real competition.

I think the comparison I'd make is, like, if the closest think Omaha had to Mexican food was Romeo's. That's how I see the scene in Omaha for Japanese food.

I can't speak to the quality of the Japanese food, as I haven't been to Japan, but in terms of Chinese food Gold mountain on 156th and Maple is one of the closest authentic chinese food places you'll see in America. From someone who's lived in Southern China and brought Chinese people there, it's on par with stuff in Las Vegas in terms of "real" chinese stuff in america.

Along with that there's great Korean, Vietnamese and Thai places and with all the Burmese immigration here i have to imagine they'll be a good Burmese sometime soon.

Only Asian food i think they're seriously lacking is Indian, but it's the Midwest and what we already have is much more than expected.

mollipen

I can't speak to the quality of the Japanese food, as I haven't been to Japan, but in terms of Chinese food Gold mountain on 156th and Maple is one of the closest authentic chinese food places you'll see in America. From someone who's lived in Southern China and brought Chinese people there, it's on par with stuff in Las Vegas in terms of "real" chinese stuff in america.

Is Gold Mountain fairly new? I've never heard of it, and wish I had before my last trip back. If Omaha does indeed now have a more authentic Chinese place, that'd be awesome. As much as I love the Americanized stuff, "real" Chinese is also great for its own reasons.

ZBR

I'm surprised there hasn't been a mention for Crescent Moon in Midtown. I can never resist ice cream from Ted and Wally's. For burgers, I must recommend Stella's in Bellevue. For Mexican food, go to Taqueria Tijuana in South O Or Abelardo's out on 90th and Maple. Nicola's Italian Wine and Faire in the Old Market is pretty good. M's Pub in the Old Narket is a bit pticey but good also. Jim and Jennies Greek Village on 90th and Maple has awesome Greek Food!

Canuck76

Banned
Is Gold Mountain fairly new? I've never heard of it, and wish I had before my last trip back. If Omaha does indeed now have a more authentic Chinese place, that'd be awesome. As much as I love the Americanized stuff, "real" Chinese is also great for its own reasons.

Yeah i think it's very recent, within the last 2 years or so.

Carlisle

Cool thread. I lived in Omaha for 7 years growing up and then went to UNL for college. Don't think I'll ever wind up back there again though.

What's this? An Omaha thread on GAF? I'll join in!

Burgers: got your choice fast food or restaurant. Fast food would be either Don & Millie's, or Runza. Restaurant would be Stella's, or Burger Star.

Wings: no idea. Lived here for 20+ years, and still can't figure that out.

Pizza: love Sortino's, and love Pizza Shoppe.

Chinese: Canton House is pretty good, thy have freshly-cooked duck hanging in the front window. Otherwise, like China Palace on Saddle Creek, and House of Lee ("Ree").

Crossroads is a giant blemish. I still go to Barnes & Noble quid a bit, though.

Midtown is cool, but too expensive for my tastes. Absolutely love how Benson is reshaping it's image.

To the haters: glad they got rid of Rosenblatt. I like the new stadium, and glad to see Omaha trying to grow up. Now, we just need to get people into office who actually want to see this city grow. I don't want to see this town turn into another Lincoln.

We need a OMA-GAF meetup!!

Also, anyone willing to get a Omaha board game group going? I don't feel like driving to Bellevue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom