• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rolling Stone's Top 100 Greatest Metal Albums Of All Time

Aenima too low, and I don't see Napalm Death on there at all. Slayer too low.

Edit: I haven't read through the whole list so perhaps ND is. Bear with me.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
06) Slayer – ”Reign In Blood"
05) Black Sabbath – ”Black Sabbath"
04) Iron Maiden – ”The Number Of The Beast"
03) Judas Priest – ”British Steel"
02) Metallica – ”Master Of Puppets"
01) Black Sabbath – ”Paranoid”

Bleh....

Right bands perhaps (well I wouldn't put anything by Sabbath above what came later, and I find Slayer to be filler), but wrong choices.

Seasons in the Abyss for Slayer...#20 or so
Born Again for Black Sabbath...#20 or so also
Piece of Mind for Iron Maiden #3
Powerslave for Iron Maiden #2
...And Justice for All for Metallica #1

That will be Whiplash or Damage Inc.

Wrong,

Fight Fire with Fire, especially live in the mid-1980's.

For me, pretty much every other Industrial Metal band is inferior to Godflesh. Amazing how Nine Inch Nails gets all the praise when it is debatable he is even Industrial, let alone Metal.

It's inevitable, I suppose. Like how Linkin Park gets all the praise for metal when they aren't even metal.

Nine Inch Nails is the Linkin Park of industrial.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Today I learned Rob Halford likes Slipknot and Korn.

Lots of old weak stuff on here.

I mean I get a lot of these albums were influential but a lot of old metal doesn't hold up very well imo. Metallic and Judas Priest being the 2 big exceptions

I guess this is the Top 100 Greatest Metal Albums of All Time If You Stopped Listening to Metal Around 2000.

Also not a single power metal album in sight. Fuck sake these guys need some Kai Hansen to bring them deliverance

Preach it brother! Walls of Jericho, Keeper of the Seven Keys, Land of the Free, Somewhere out in Space, No World Order!, Kai Hansen is on another level.

MAN! MARTIANS AND MACHINES!

Also my vote for "best Metallica song" goes to Metal Militia. Best metal song ever if you ask me.

No way. Maiden and Sabbath still gain news fans every year.

Yeah I get there's a lot of people that like that stuff but I prefer waaaaaaaay heavier than 90% of the stuff in the top 25 at least. But I get why people still like Sabbath etc. (not a fan at all personally). The list just reads like someone who hasn't listened to any Metal in the last 15 years

Meshuggah is like one of the only really heavy bands on here

Maiden is legit though

Yeah I get there's a lot of people that like that stuff but I prefer waaaaaaaay heavier than 90% of the stuff in the top 25 at least. But I get why people still like Sabbath etc. (not a fan at all personally). The list just reads like someone who hasn't listened to any Metal in the last 15 years

Yeah whenever a list goes as broad as just "Metal" you know there ain't gonna be any death metal, black metal, grindcore etc. on the list. And the top of the list is always going to be Metallica, Sabbath, Maiden, Priest, and Slayer. Nothing wrong with that but it gets old after awhile.

I wanna see a publication like Rolling Stone do a "Top 20 Crazy Death Metal Albums" list or something like that. I want a list with Gorguts, Ulcerate, Benighted, Wormed, etc. on it!

"and Rolling Stone's #1 metal band of all time is... Abominable Putridity?!?!?!"

pablito

Yeah whenever a list goes as broad as just "Metal" you know there ain't gonna be any death metal, black metal, grindcore etc. on the list. And the top of the list is always going to be Metallica, Sabbath, Maiden, Priest, and Slayer. Nothing wrong with that but it gets old after awhile.

I wanna see a publican like Rolling Stone do a "Top 20 Crazy Death Metal Albums" list or something like that. I want a list with Gorguts, Ulcerate, Benighted, Wormed, etc. on it!

"and Rolling Stone's #1 metal band of all time is... Abominable Putridity?!?!?!"

Yeah this is exactly why I find greater fun in reading anyone's, literally anyone's personal top list. I'll get different shit. There's nothing wrong with a good majority of these albums but there's nothing surprising about them.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I am going to check this supposed list and if Ayreon, Star One, Avantasia, Edguy and Running Wild are missing I will have a sit down talk with myself and question the nature of true metal.
Don't. You clearly know metal more than Rolling Stone does. :p

It is pretty laughable. Orion has sheer power in its songwriting.
Aye, the power to fight insomnia.

Escape is a run of the mill 80's metal song.
That's not a bad thing. At all.

Enter Sandman and Load are better than that shit.
And Orion > Ktulu in that case, too.
lol, and people say my opinion should be bannable? xD

Seasons in the Abyss for Slayer...#20 or so
Born Again for Black Sabbath...#20 or so also
Piece of Mind for Iron Maiden #3
Powerslave for Iron Maiden #2
...And Justice for All for Metallica #1
Born Again... over the Sabbath s/t?? Whaaaaaaa

And people say my opi... yeah, yeah.

but a lot of old metal doesn't hold up very well imo
!?!!
And people say m....

Bitanator

Just popping in to say Escape is a great song, and James does not like a lot of songs in their discography, does not mean shit when he does not disown the travesty that is Fuel, the correct choice for worst metalica song right up there with Invisible Kid and Ronnie.

Preach! I get why they went with the Ozzy albums, but Heaven & Hell (and the whole Dio-era of Sabbath in general) is my favorite from the band. It's actually what first got me into metal, after stumbling onto a live video of the band performing the title track in 1980 on YouTube about 10 years ago.

Yeah, agreed. Dehumanizer is something else. "I" is one of my absolute favorite songs.

Ristifer

Just popping in to say Escape is a great song, and James does not like a lot of songs in their discography, does not mean shit when he does not disown the travesty that is Fuel, the correct choice for worst metalica song right up there with Invisible Kid and Ronnie.
It's kinda easy to say that, though, considering Load, Reload, and St. Anger are not really fan favourites (though I love Load/Reload). Escape is on an album of high quality material, so it sticks out like a sore thumb. It's surrounded by Trapped Under Ice and Creeping Death. I see why people like it, but it's the most bland 80's Metallica song for me. It has none of the personality that made Metallica's 80's material so great. That's why I have to disagree. But if you like it, you like it.

Black Sabbath recording their first album in 1 day is sick. I listen to it almost weekly.

Not a shocking list given the magazine.
I think they had already been playing most of that material for a while before they actually recorded it. Apparently when they played warning in the early days they'd just jam for like 30-40 mins on that one track.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
And justice for all - Metallica #1.

Anyways, it's just their opinion and not actual fact.

Ristifer

Curious about all those who pick Justice as Metallica's best album, do you want any kind of remix of that album at all? Or do you like the way it sounds now?

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
Curious about all those who pick Justice as Metallica's best album, do you want any kind of remix of that album at all? Or do you like the way it sounds now?

It definetly needs a proper remix with Jason's bass track actually in the mix. That would be incredible.

Doesn't seem likely at this point.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Genre's name is "Glam metal/hair metal". I hate this kind of elitism where people doesn't see any band softer than thrash as "metal". Glam metal is metal, Poision is metal, Def Leppard is metal, Bon Jovi is metal. Call it anything you like, glam metal, hair metal or pop metal but it's still metal.

Thrash metal is just a subgenre of metal, not the real definition of metal. Metal can be softer then you ever thought.
I wasn't going to post till later but this post is just so ridiculous. Bon Jovi is not metal.

Not my favorite album of theirs because of the mixing. There's just zero low end. Still a good album but I'd like it a lot more if it had a proper mix.

Lots of old weak stuff on here.

I mean I get a lot of these albums were influential but a lot of old metal doesn't hold up very well imo. Metallic and Judas Priest being the 2 big exceptions

The classic stuff does hold up well but I agree that the list lacks diversity. I love Sabbath/Solo Ozzy but there is no reason it needs to make up almost a third of the top 25.

deim0s

Im happy that Slayer's Reign in Blood, Megadeth's Rust in Peace, and Metallica's Ride is in there.

Sabbath as number 1 is fine, classic.

Artdayne

Let me introduce you to this thing called ...And Justice for Jason

You're welcome!

Already mentioned.

No Cliff Burton in AJFA though, he was a big influence on the band. He was also a brilliant bassist. Jason Newsted's bass parts were mixed out of AJFA by Lars to haze him. I just don't get how people can prefer AJFA with that in mind. Now, if you're listening to And Justice for Jason, then there's a stronger argument at least.

Obscura

What a shit list. Not even bothering looking past the top 25.

If you don't have a comprehensive knowledge of extreme metal and it's many sub (and sub sub) genres you shouldn't make a top 100 Metal albums list. Even if you ignore all that it's still inexcusable to not have either of Mercyful Fate's first two albums in the top 25.

Yes, I'm a bitter metalhead.

PudieRSC

Too many repeating bands in that top 25.

Is it a best album list or popularity contest?

Both.

Whenever I see lists like this, especially from big names like RS, I always read them with the idea of it not being about just being the best album from a musical/talent perspective but also influence, popularity, etc. As someone else said it reads more as "These are the 100 albums that define metal" instead of just simply being THE BEST metal albums.

Top Bottom