• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix trademarked Deus Ex: Human Defiance [The film]

Andrew.

Banned
I have no clue if this is related, but I did notice yesterday there was what looks like a "Defiance" key chain in the top corner of the Assassin's Creed image.

Thats for a different game altogether.

As for a new Deus Ex?

I didn't ask for this. Found HR to be incredibly boring.

Derrick01

Banned
Human Revolution wasn't on the same level as the original Deus Ex, but it was still fun, wasn't it? Aside from the surprise that was Dishonored, we just don't get even hybrid stealth games without strong IP behind them anymore. So the next Thief game may be a watered-down version of the classics, but at least they'd be doing something positive with the IP. I'll take an additional 20 hours of fun if less impressive gameplay over zero additional hours of old-school stealth. We have to take what we can get, and I'll definitely take that kind of game over most of the AAA alternatives in today's market.

It was alright but I don't look at it like a stealth game, because that and Dishonored are horrible in that regard. At least in Deus Ex's case it's not meant to be a stealth game so I give it a pass there. It had a slew of other problems compared to the first game though and while it was still a decent game it's not something I'm willing to settle with just to play another game with the words Deus Ex slapped on the cover.

As for thief that is supposed to be pure stealth and I won't settle for anything less without ruthlessly tearing the game apart. I've grown old enough to see all of my favorite IPs pissed on by this generation, or last generation in some cases, and I don't want to see another one become ruined by this industry. I'll gladly take no Thief game and stick with the already released ones if they can't make a proper one.

robin2

While there was certainly a lot of love behind HR, too much aspects of the gameplay were just bad imo; I hope they'll deeply revise them. Potential for greatness is always there, since it's DX; just be bold Eidos.

Deus Ex HR felt like a Metal Gear Solid game to me. That level of light stealth. Not as deep as MGS3, closer to MGS1/2, but the feeling was definitely there.

Kadayi

Banned
Sounds like a sequel. Great as the original game was at the time, it was all very X-files/Dark Skies and might come across as a bit hinky and dated now if it was simply an HD remake.

Geoff9920

By the name they're to trademarking it sounds like it could be a remake of the original Deus Ex... That would be a recipe for disaster. There's no way Eidos could live up to those expectations. However, if it's a sequel to Human Revolution then I'm all for it.

damn that's nice

capture6tumd.png

I'm guessing it's the Wii U version of HR rumored. maybe new game?
i just don't see how they could release human revolution for any console..
it wouldn't be fun

Epcott

Wow, first a movie adaption of HR is announced (cringe) now this? I better get back to playing Revolution before they announce a Deus Ex theme park.

Draft

I'd like the next DX to take place post DX2. Let's go 50 years into the future and get really crazy. Female PC would be sweet.

FACE

Banned
It was alright but I don't look at it like a stealth game, because that and Dishonored are horrible in that regard. At least in Deus Ex's case it's not meant to be a stealth game so I give it a pass there. It had a slew of other problems compared to the first game though and while it was still a decent game it's not something I'm willing to settle with just to play another game with the words Deus Ex slapped on the cover.

As for thief that is supposed to be pure stealth and I won't settle for anything less without ruthlessly tearing the game apart. I've grown old enough to see all of my favorite IPs pissed on by this generation, or last generation in some cases, and I don't want to see another one become ruined by this industry. I'll gladly take no Thief game and stick with the already released ones if they can't make a proper one.

If thief 4 isn't a pure stealth game blood will be shed.

So you value the legacy of those IPs and don't want to see their brands associated with a lesser successor; I respect that. I look at it from another perspective: all modern AAA games are going to appeal to the lowest common denominator. To the extent using a classic franchise can increase the depth of such a game, even a little, I'd willingly sacrifice that sacred cow to get a more enjoyable game than I otherwise would. Sometimes it fails anyway (Hitman: Absolution), but it's worth trying.

padlock

If it is a sequel to HR, I just hope that they don't try to make the game more accessible to a broader range of gamers.

What made HR so incredible (It's my favourite game released in the last 5 years), was that it played somewhat like an early 2000's PC game.

Hope it's a new game, I was thinking about a sequel earlier this week, I don't think I could articulate why but Human Revolution is easily in my top ten of the generation.

Although if it is just a wiiu version I'm sold on my third copy of this game if it improves on literally anything (or just includes off TV play)

Lime

They really need to hire some proper animators this time around. The body and lip movements during dialogue looked like they were made by their newly hired intern.

They also need to properly finish their end-game before the final deadline - what we got was a poor, counter-intuitive decisions that seemed completely arbitrary from the rest of the game.

They also need to do proper storytelling in terms of the villains - e.g. they were visually distinct and the trailer hyped them up to be significant for the game, yet they simply showed up in the game and died. That was basically their function and we didn't get any chance to get proper characterization of their motivations and conflicts with Jensen.

Meelow

Banned
Hopefully this is a new game that's coming to the Wii U and not a two year old port of Human Revolution (unless it's both which be cool).

wtf with all that WOW IT'S CERTAINLY FOR WIIU posts???

It's not a port, it's a sequel obviously because you don't port the game with changing its name drastically.

and yes, it won't come to wiiu as it's next-gen.

But the Wii U is next gen (technically current gen now) so yeah...

Lime

Jonathan Jacques-Belletête better be on board again as art director.

If he was responsible for the urine-post processing filter to convey the Golden age-renaissance theme, he needs to reign it in next time or get someone more competent.

He also needs to stop putting himself into the game as the main character.

stn

All I ask is a few things:

-Boss fights done well (you need them in an FPS)
-Take-downs shouldn't waste energy
-More urban cities and less of what we saw
on that space station or whatever it is near the end
-More of a Neo-Tokyo vibe
-Better way of illustrating the choices and consequences system
-Better ending

I think all these requests are reasonable, nothing too outlandish. Anyway, I'm on board no matter what. My only concern is the story:

If DX1 comes after HR then where do we go from there? How about re-writing DX2 as if JC lives and then having him be the protagonist once again? I'm also down for more Jensen, he was good. Just give him more personality, make his story more personal.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
If he was responsible for the urine-post processing filter to convey the Golden age-renaissance theme, he needs to reign it in next time or get someone more competent.

He also needs to stop putting himself into the game as the main character.

mma_no_gif.gif

Man's truly an awesome Art Director and his direction with the other artists on the team have created an incredible mark on the cyber punk genre with their own flare with the implementation of renaissance to mold in the old with the new. It's truly something special and it's why I consider Human Revolution the best presentation shown in a game out of this generation (this did dethrone Mass Effect/Bio Shock me when I gave a long thought on this but they are very close). I can't wait to see the interesting stuff in the sequel in regards to what they had to pull back, especially Montreal and the ideas they had on some of the architectural surroundings with the hub they was working on. An updated engine post Tomb Raider with better character models and features will truly make this even more fantastic.

If DX1 comes after HR then where do we go from there? How about re-writing DX2 as if JC lives and then having him be the protagonist once again? I'm also down for more Jensen, he was good. Just give him more personality, make his story more personal.

Well there's still a lot to witness before the events up to Deus Ex 1
the fall of Everet and the rise of MJ12 with Page, the nano technology, the destruction of the statue of liberty, Simmons, the true birth of the Denton project
so much more that strongly makes me believe that Adam Jensen's story will continue, among with Pritchard included (man is always alive no matter what)
especially with the unknown party from Missing Link which heavily hints on rescuing Adam Jensen at the right time and how that he will be fully focus for the bigger cause on the things he witnessed at the end

Story sequel is going to be godly.

Top Bottom