• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

Deku Tree

Can you beat him on normal mode without parrying? I couldn't figure how to damage him once
he puts up the red barrier
. I took the last half off by parrying.

Well you can stun lock him, but that is an advanced technique.

The point is that in master mode if you can’t hit almost all of your parries then he recovers all his health while crawling around on the wall in his invulnerable state.

Finished this today! Played it completely blind aside from looking up the last few shrines to get 120. The Gerudo desert one seemed particularly unfair considering it doesn't turn up on the sensor. Similarly, looked up what was coming in the trial of the sword rooms after carefully making my way through the beginning trials only to get one shotted.

230 hours spent apparently. One of the best games I've ever played

Strampas

Neo Member
I know have 119 shrines completed, and I know the location of the last
Kakariko village
I have a few side quests left, but I haven't been able to find them. It's a little tricky.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Urgh I need help with this korok puzzle. It's in the southeastern part of the map.

Basically it's the three apple tree puzzle, except the problem is that two of the trees have one apple each. I tried grabbing all the apples to make the two match the single no-apple one, but nothing happens.

I know have 119 shrines completed, and I know the location of the last
Kakariko village
I have a few side quests left, but I haven't been able to find them. It's a little tricky.

That sounds like the shrine that needs a couple of sidequests done before it triggers. The start of it is I think at night, go into the houses and look for a girl who is asking you to find 10 fireflies. When that finishes, the next quest will reveal the shrine. Hope thats not too spoilery.

Orgen

Urgh I need help with this korok puzzle. It's in the southeastern part of the map.

Basically it's the three apple tree puzzle, except the problem is that two of the trees have one apple each. I tried grabbing all the apples to make the two match the single no-apple one, but nothing happens.

Mmmm the 3 Apple trees puzzle is solved making all of them having the same number of apples (and in the same positions). But not taking all of them, there shouldn't be a tree "Apple-less".

I had no idea there even was a apple based korok puzzle, and I'm near the end of the game. Wow. So much I've still not seen, got no idea where the snow bowling minigame is either that I hear is great for rupees.

Red

I had no idea there even was a apple based korok puzzle, and I'm near the end of the game. Wow. So much I've still not seen, got no idea where the snow bowling minigame is either that I hear is great for rupees.
You can see them on the map, similar to the rock pattern puzzles. Scroll around until you see three trees aligned conspicuously. Sometimes they are not trees (as in the desert area). And sometimes the trees don't have apples. They all look the same on the map, so once you find one you will know what to look for.

Boss Doggie

Mmmm the 3 Apple trees puzzle is solved making all of them having the same number of apples (and in the same positions). But not taking all of them, there shouldn't be a tree "Apple-less".

then how come one tree has no apples?

Kaizer

Banned
Honestly, I've gotta admit I'm a bit lost when it comes to the Korok Puzzles. I've done two Divine Beasts at this point & 33 Shrines but I've only collected 15 Korok seeds in total. It feels like I just need to look-up a guide or video walkthrough for them as there's clearly not something connecting with me.

The easy ones like lifting a rock or placing an apple in a basket arent the problem - it's everything else I come across.

SPCTRE

you guys, I need some advice from BotW veterans -

I'm LTTP with the game and it's going to be my first Zelda ever. I do own a Wii U, haven't yet decided when I'm getting a Switch. Possibly in a year or two - this Christmas would be the earliest from where I'm sitting.

Should I skip the Wii U version entirely and postpone getting into the game?

Edit: I should probably add that I am not starved for games, my backlog across platforms is... significant :eek:

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Been playing five weeks now, and have just completed climbing my final tower so the whole map is visible.

Finally settled on my MO for the game, which is to build it up in layers like a painting - map first, then towns, shrines as I find them, then side-quests, shrine quests, beasts. So there's a *long* way to go.

Also got my horse killed in northern Akkala, so trotted off to find the Horse God. Found that a rather emotional conversation to be honest.

Still finding new stuff round every corner. Amazing.

TheMoon

Honestly, I've gotta admit I'm a bit lost when it comes to the Korok Puzzles. I've done two Divine Beasts at this point & 33 Shrines but I've only collected 15 Korok seeds in total. It feels like I just need to look-up a guide or video walkthrough for them as there's clearly not something connecting with me.

The easy ones like lifting a rock or placing an apple in a basket arent the problem - it's everything else I come across.

basic rules:
if there's a circle/whole anywhere, either something (you or a rock/boulder) has to go through or you have to complete the circle
if there's a high tower/tall tree -> probably a korok at the top (look out for the sparkly leaves dancing around)
if there are identical things placed in a line, make everything be symmetrical/identical
see a tiny windmill? stand next to it, look around to see what happens
tree stump with leaf symbols? stand on it, then run through the goal
dancing leaves moving around on the ground? catch up to them, hit A

those are all that come to mind right now

you guys, I need some advice from BotW veterans -

I'm LTTP with the game and it's going to be my first Zelda ever. I do own a Wii U, haven't yet decided when I'm getting a Switch. Possibly in a year or two - this Christmas would be the earliest from where I'm sitting.

Should I skip the Wii U version entirely and postpone getting into the game?

Edit: I should probably add that I am not starved for games, my backlog across platforms is... significant :eek:

might as well wait now. you've made it through the biggest hype phase already.

Boss Doggie

You may have picked them previously, or they may have been knocked off by a nearby impact, or the trees are not part of a korok puzzle. If you have the DLC, check with the korok mask.

it is a korok puzzle, the mask reacts

so basically I have to wait for a full respawn then? how long do the fruits return?

Red

If you only have 15 seeds after two beasts, I think they may be.

it is a korok puzzle, the mask reacts

so basically I have to wait for a full respawn then? how long do the fruits return?
I had to wait for a blood moon to respawn fruit for one of the
durian
puzzles, so it may be a while.

ffdgh

I genuinely didn't know those triple trees were puzzles until that korok mask came alone and started rattling around one of them near zora domain.

Red

I genuinely didn't know those triple trees were puzzles until that korok mask came alone and started rattling around one of them near zora domain.
Maybe I've played too many games in my life. I've found over 700 korok seeds now and I thought the offerings were among the most conspicuous.

I did miss the big ones in Necluda until several visits in.

I misunderstood your post. I didn't know about the tree puzzles until a good bit into the game. I actually found trees with a different fruit first, and then realized apples could function the same way.

Tb0ne07

Just finished this a day or so ago, did all the divine beasts, found all fairies, probably about 90 shrines, no idea how many seeds but probably a few hundred.

What a game! this one had our whole family enthralled and is all my 4 and 8 year old can talk about. I've never liked the open world genre but this game did a great job at making just about everything you do feel fun and interesting. The sense of exploration (hey whats that over there? let's go check it out..), finding secrets and solving puzzles were all done really well. I went in pretty blind and only used a guide with some of the memories. The first time seeing a dragon was quite a sight and when the map finally started opening up it really felt like a next generation experience to be able to look at a far distant point and know that you could actually travel there. And I played this on the Wii U! What a swan song for the system, despite the lower resolution and some frame-rate issues at times, the technical and artistic achievement can't be overstated. In fact, it reminded me of Metroid Prime, a great fusion of technical and artistic capability coming together to form a great experience.

I'm glad I saved the Castle for the last, as that was a great area to end on as well.

I will agree that the story was just...there. I think I see what they were trying to do but it didn't quite come off like they wanted, although my 10 year old self might have really enjoyed it. I think it's time to expand on the world and conflict within it and not just have a rehash of saving the princess and the land from Ganon again..

Some other small niggles such as inventory/weapon management and some clunky menu navigation hinder the overall flow of the game and I would have liked to have a few "true" dungeon areas, also the music - while great was a little too sparsely used. But all small issues compared to the overall masterpiece.

I'm going to take a break and jump back in when the second DLC hits.

Big Nikus

So, I'm gonna start the game tomorrow, and I still don't know if I'm gonna play with english, japanese or french voices. What's the consensus about the english Vs japanese dub ?

Hebra region is awesome, I've found so many secret caves and areas.

It's amazing how this game keeps giving, montha after buying it. It's very close to a masterpiece, really. I love it. It's probably the best of almost every 3D Zelda, although Majora and Ocarina have a fond place in my heart.

Hebra region is awesome, I've found so many secret caves and areas.

It's amazing how this game keeps giving, montha after buying it. It's very close to a masterpiece, really. I love it. It's probably the best of almost every 3D Zelda, although Majora and Ocarina have a fond place in my heart.

Hebra was my favorite area. So amazing.

Before Master Mode, I was 3/4ths of the Beasts down, ready to explore my final uncharted land.... But Master Mode is so fun, I've simply restarted and am having just as much of a blast starting from scratch.

This game is officially (for me) Metal Gear Solid 3's successor.

OmegaDL50

Does anyone know the precise location of the pre-release trailer location shown in this photo.

I want to go there and see if it's changed in the final release or even if it location still exists.

a1JuHld.jpg

Seeing as Death Mountain is north by north-east in this picture.

I'm guessing it's either Central Hyrule or the Ridgeland area.

W-00

Well, I beat Ganon.

I had been planning on waiting to face Ganon until I had all of the shrines and Divine Beasts taken care of, but then I found the last memory and
Zelda asked me to rescue her
, so I had no choice but to mount a all-out frontal assault on Hyrule Castle with zero Divine Beasts and a mere 108 shrines cleared. It probably would have been smarter to attack from a different direction (such as
warping to the shrine inside the castle
), but that would have been way less epic. Anyways the Master Sword ran out too fast and there was a lightning storm and too many guardians (so I didn't want to use the rubber armor), so I had to warp out, heal, and wait for a better time.

When I went back in, there was another lightning storm! But I'd thinned the guardians out enough the last time, so I was able to make my way to Ganon. For the first
three phases
of the fight, my abundance of bomb arrows and Savage Lynel Bow made it laughably one-sided. The
fourth phase
kicked in and Ganon started getting in a lot of hits. I still won, though. In phase
five, Calamity Ganon
came sort of close to beating me (I still had plenty of fairies, but I'd used most of my good food). I'd never actually bothered with
parrying lasers
before, so that was new to me.

I suppose I can wait a bit before finishing the rest of the game. Fate/Extella comes to the Switch tomorrow, so that should be a decent change of pace.

Red

Does anyone know the precise location of the pre-release trailer location shown in this photo.

I want to go there and see if it's changed in the final release or even if it location still exists.

a1JuHld.jpg

Is the coliseum on the left?

AngryMoth

Been playing this the last couple of weeks since I got my switch.

It took me a surprisingly long time before I really started enjoying it, maybe 12 hours or so. It was very annoying how quickly weapons break in the beginning of the game and I was scared of getting into combat for a long time since I hadn't found any decent stuff and had no reliable way of getting more. Also felt kind of aimless but that went away once the quests started mounting up.

About 30 hours in now though and really loving it. I'm getting better at using the abilities creatively which is where a lot of fun can be found. Just did Eventide island which was a blast.

Really wish I'd had the foresight to put a stamp down whenever I've found a korak seed because I desperately want to find more I've no idea where I've already explored and where I haven't at this point.

Before Master Mode, I was 3/4ths of the Beasts down, ready to explore my final uncharted land.... But Master Mode is so fun, I've simply restarted and am having just as much of a blast starting from scratch.

I had all beasts down and 200+ hours and restarted in Master Mode and yes it's been so much fun! I'm amazed that I'm having as much fun as my first time although I'm playing very differently now; deliberately avoiding being a completionist, trying to get from A to B in the most efficient/practical route possible. Only collecting things I see on my way, might make a small deviation if I spot a worthy target when looking over the landscape and plotting my route (who am I kidding, I always get distracted and lost in the world and take a hundred screenshots every time I play).

I'm stealthing my way and avoiding most enemies at this stage, unless I see a worthy reward (if enemies aren't holding weapons that are better than what I have I don't bother with them). The significantly increased challenge of combat has changed the dynamic of the game tremendously for me (at least so far); I think about and plot my attacks/stealth a lot more than before. Every multiple-enemy encounter is tense.

Just upgraded some of my Runes at the lab, and my next destination is going to be the castle (which I haven't been inside in my previous game). I'm curious how far in I can go in my current state and what loot I'll find. Might have a go at Ganon (if I can make it that far), I'm curious if I have it in me to beat the game basically straight after visiting Kakariko and Hateno... I doubt it but we'll see :)

I didn't want to experience the final chapter of the game with my normal mode 200+hrs overpowered Link. It would have been a walk in the park. I want to be truly challenged and I hope that will make it more memorable for me.

W-00

Really wish I'd had the foresight to put a stamp down whenever I've found a korak seed because I desperately want to find more I've no idea where I've already explored and where I haven't at this point.

They should automatically be marked when you find them, but are only visible on the closest zoom level.

RedSwirl

Y'know, I was surprised at how much I ended up liking Hyrule Castle in terms of its design.

I was afraid it was just gonna be a lazy mash-up of monsters or was maybe expecting another dungeon. In the end though it actually reminds me a bit of Deus Ex and Thief levels in how it's designed to feel like something that was once a functioning castle. I was impressed how things like the docks, library, kitchen, mess hall, and prison were all where they felt like they needed to be. Multiple entrances and everything. It felt like I was actually storming a castle. I guess if you were to compare it to other Zelda games, it feels like a far more complex version of the castle from ALTTP.

Xbro

Wait I thought the powered up Master Sword from the Trial of the Sword gives the sword a boost in malice areas as well.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I've put a few hours into the game tonight (the most I've played to date) and no less than five times has it started to rain when I was climbing a cliff. WHAT THE FUCK. Is the game just messing with me?

TheMoon

a1JuHld.jpg

It doesn't exist. The game world was changed dramatically since then.

GameXplain took a shot at it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WPfdauozHw

we had a thread on it here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1353539

That first background simply isn't there anymore.

AngryMoth

They should automatically be marked when you find them, but are only visible on the closest zoom level.
Ah thanks for that, never noticed it.

The other thing I was wondering about is if there's anywhere you can store items since I have a bunch of guardian++ weapons taking up my inventory space but I don't wanna waste them the caliber of enemies I'm fighting at the moment.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I've put a few hours into the game tonight (the most I've played to date) and no less than five times has it started to rain when I was climbing a cliff. WHAT THE FUCK. Is the game just messing with me?

Very unfortunate that it happens so often. When I brought it up someone mentioned that you could see upcoming weather in the HUD somehow but I can't see it.

Anyway, I'd previously talked about the music being the Achilles heel of this game and got strong disagreement. Now that I finally opened up all areas of the map I have to say my opinion has only solidified. The Gerudo music in Ocarina was my favorite and the new theme is just bland, like the rest of the game music. The only memorable themes are basically the battle theme and recycled ones.

RiggyRob

Very unfortunate that it happens so often. When I brought it up someone mentioned that you could see upcoming weather in the HUD somehow but I can't see it.

Anyway, I'd previously talked about the music being the Achilles heel of this game and got strong disagreement. Now that I finally opened up all areas of the map I have to say my opinion has only solidified. The Gerudo music in Ocarina was my favorite and the new theme is just bland, like the rest of the game music. The only memorable themes are basically the battle theme and recycled ones.

The weather icons in the bottom right show what's coming up, so you can see if it's about to rain/snow etc.

Cant believe theres 120 shrines, Ive completed around 70 so far and feels like I filled up world.
I am less than 10 away from 100% completion. You'll be surprised at some of the spots they're hiding!

They're not always in obvious spots; some can be found within the world itself

Top Bottom