• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MegaTen x Fire Emblem announced (Wii U)

Don't like this one bit.

I'm also going to be really crushed if Atlus ends up putting more of their games exclusively on Nintendo systems. I have no desire to see them deny people with those systems the chance to play their games, but as somebody who likely will not own a Wii U, I fear the thought of potentially missing out on any proper future SMT games. So, I hope this is just a special collaboration, and not any sort of sign of what's to come.

If its exclusive then they have just buy the console?Next gen is here, people will need to upgrade even if they have one console each gen. Now Nintendo is trying to get these people to upgrade to their console and its not like there are not others games to play.

Hero

Don't like this one bit.

Obviously I love SMT. My first FE has been Awakening, and I really, really like the game. However, I have absolutely no desire to see the two worlds cross over. Japan loves these cross-over games, but most of the time, I think they're stupid. Beyond figuring games, I always end up feeling like I'd rather have a new chapter of whatever games are being crossed over, instead of some ridiculous fan service project.

I'm also going to be really crushed if Atlus ends up putting more of their games exclusively on Nintendo systems. I have no desire to see them deny people with those systems the chance to play their games, but as somebody who likely will not own a Wii U, I fear the thought of potentially missing out on any proper future SMT games. So, I hope this is just a special collaboration, and not any sort of sign of what's to come.

I don't understand this logic. You'd rather them not make a new game which nobody knows how it could turn out? Crossovers get both fanbases to pull from and garner interest. It's what made games like Marvel vs Capcom and Super Smash Bros. popular and successful. Worst case scenario is they never make a game like it again. Best case scenario is we get an awesome game and extend the popularity of both series which is good for fans of either camp in the long run.

Not sure what to say to your second part, it seems that SMT is going to be Nintendo only moving forward. Persona 5 will definitely be on PS3 at least.

7Th

No, it doesn't. Mainline SMT has been on ninty since the DS with strange journey. Hasn't stopped Persona from being their Sony (and Microsoft, to a little extent) franchise. Atlus doesn't stick all their eggs in one basket.

You realize that's just two games, right? SJ and now 4.

Dantis

So much desesperation. I can even see your avatar sweating.

Can't wait for the SALT.

Ha! Hardly. Right now I'm hyped to the ceiling that a new MegaTen was announced.

That, and I have evidence to back up why it won't be on 3DS. You got nothin', brah. :p

You realize that's just two games, right? SJ and now 4.

Soul Hackers is too, and that's pretty close to mainline MegaTen. Also DeSu, for what little that's worth.

bonercop

I NEVER STOPPED BELIEVING

tumblr_lw3krdz9391r1hl7uo1_500.jpg

ok, so the idea is pretty dumb if you think about it for longer than 2 seconds but who gives a shit

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Don't like this one bit.

Obviously I love SMT. My first FE has been Awakening, and I really, really like the game. However, I have absolutely no desire to see the two worlds cross over. Japan loves these cross-over games, but most of the time, I think they're stupid. Beyond figuring games, I always end up feeling like I'd rather have a new chapter of whatever games are being crossed over, instead of some ridiculous fan service project.

I have to agree with your sentiment here. I'm not a big fan of crossover games and the only ones that I've seen that actually worked out well were Kingdom Hearts (FF x Disney) and Marvel vs. Capcom. I assume that most crossover games have fanfic-like stories only marketing those who are interested in a specific series. KH and MvsC don't necessarily market a specific crowd and can draw in new crowds (like I for one am not a big Marvel fan and I'm fine with Capcom's characters but I do enjoy the craziness of MvsC).

I'm not saying this game will suck, but I wish there were less crossover games. Even if it was Persona X Final Fantasy, I'd still be hesitant.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
But then it probably wouldn't have happened, at least not the SMT stuff.
Why not? They made one for 3DS, no? Why would they suddenly say no if Nintendo said they'd fund a new Wii U entry and say yes when they fund a collaboration entry?

Ha! Hardly. Right now I'm hyped to the ceiling that a new MegaTen was announced.

That, and I have evidence to back up why it won't be on 3DS. You got nothin', brah. :p

Soul Hackers is too, and that's pretty close to mainline MegaTen. Also DeSu, for what little that's worth.

Y u playa hatin? Despite the art direction, DeSu1 was an almost great game and DeSu 2 was a good game

Hero

I have to agree with your sentiment here. I'm not a big fan of crossover games and the only ones that I've seen that actually worked out well were Kingdom Hearts (FF x Disney) and Marvel vs. Capcom. I assume that most crossover games have fanfic-like stories only marketing those who are interested in a specific series. KH and MvsC don't necessarily market a specific crowd and can draw in new crowds (like I for one am not a big Marvel fan and I'm fine with Capcom's characters but I do enjoy the craziness of MvsC).

I'm not saying this game will suck, but I wish there were less crossover games. Even if it was Persona X Final Fantasy, I'd still be hesitant.

Never thought I'd see the day that people wish there were less games.

Caelestis

I am not that familiar with FE, but I am interested for the SMT part. I hope the gameplay will be something decent.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Never thought I'd see the day that people wish there were less games.

I'm not asserting that I want less games. I'd rather have a sequel or a brand new original game rather than a crossover game.

Aeana

Don't like this one bit.

Why won't you own a Wii U if it has games that interest you on it? Isn't that what drives the desire to purchase a platform? Games?

I just had a thought: NichM confirmed that Kaneko still works at Atlus. Kaneko hasn't worked on anything since Strange Journey, and hasn't worked on a console game since Raidou 2.

Is this Kaneko's return to console games?

I find it strange that he'd be working on a crossover instead of a mainline SMT title.

That's now what I was saying. I was saying that it's far removed from mainline SMT, so it added little value to my point.

Tone wise, DeSu was closer to SMt Mainline than almost any other Megaten of it's time, as odd as that is.

Still wondering why no SJ. Chiaki got top billing because who else from that game are they gonna add, plus her transformation is baller

Midou

Why won't you own a Wii U if it has games that interest you on it? Isn't that what drives the desire to purchase a platform? Games?

This is what always bothers me.

Game 1 came out, but it's on console X, I don't want console X, I sure hope it comes to console Y instead.

Game 2 came out, but it's on console X, I don't want console X, I sure hope it comes to console Y instead.

Game 3 came out, but it's on console X, I don't want console X, I sure hope it comes to console Y instead.

Man I'd buy console X but it just DOESN'T HAVE ANY GAMES I WANT, why do all these games I want KEEP COMING TO IT?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
They are probably going to use the same demon models for this and Persona 5.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Tone wise, DeSu was closer to SMt Mainline than almost any other Megaten of it's time, as odd as that is.

Still wondering why no SJ. Chiaki got top billing because who else from that game are they gonna add, plus her transformation is baller

Trailer was a teaser. There could be more stuff we don't know about.

Dantis

I find it strange that he'd be working on a crossover instead of a mainline SMT title.

Like I say, the only reason I can imagine would be that he wanted to get back into something more big budget.

We already know he isn't doing SMT4, so I'd assume that whatever he is doing, it isn't technically a mainline title.

Tonally in that it was based around the apocalypse, but that's about where the similarities end.

It is weird that SJ hasn't been shown. Maybe they'll reveal more characters later on?

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Why not? They made one for 3DS, no? Why would they suddenly say no if Nintendo said they'd fund a new Wii U entry and say yes when they fund a collaboration entry?

Because Atlus has shown no intention of wanting to give up the SMT series like that, there wouldn't be any reason for Nintendo to be involved. I think this approach is the way both Nintendo and Atlus could agree to do this.

I just hope it's an interesting approach.

TreIII

If they do it well, I could see FE x MT doing similar to those two examples you just listed.

The main thing I'll be interested in seeing is how they'll try to reconcile the two worlds. Barring the likes of Majin Tensei and perhaps the upcoming SMT4, mainstream Megaten thrived in largely modern worlds. It'll be interesting to see what could happen if guns are officially introduced into the FE weapon triangle...

CSX

Time to start the CSX Wii U savings box AWW YEAAAA

I want either Megaten JRPG gameplay with FE party members or Fire Emblem SRPG with SMT characters and demons as units. Anything else would be bad

^did you play the Devil Survivor series?

I kind of think there should not be any Persona characters in this. It should be devil summoners only, for balance purposes. That leaves the SMT, Devil Summoner and Devil Survivor branches to pull characters from, but they very well could just be stickin to
SMT only

Dantis

I kind of think there should not be any Persona characters in this. It should be devil summoners only, for balance purposes. That leaves the SMT, Devil Summoner and Devil Survivor branches to pull characters from, but they very well could just be stickin to
SMT only

Even so, I wouldn't be surprised to see Narukami show up.

Jawmuncher

Time to start the CSX Wii U savings box AWW YEAAAA

I want either Megaten JRPG gameplay with FE party members or Fire Emblem SRPG with SMT characters and demons as units. Anything else would be bad

I just hope it doesnt keep some of the traditional difficulty of most Megaten games.
I think something like Persona where you have a large option to choose from would be best.
But I guess that all sort of depends on how the game plays.

CSX

^did you play the Devil Survivor series?

SMT only

Yea and i didnt like it. if they going SRPG route, it needs to be hella FE gameplay wise.

Maybe SMT characters will have an MP bar instead of weapon endurance :p

mollipen

There hasn't been a Nintendo home console since the NES where I've owned more than 10 games in the entire life of the system. I tend to love Nintendo handhelds, but I'm getting to the point where I can't justify spending the cost of a console for such a small library - especially when I have so many games for other platforms that I've not gotten to yet.

And, beyond that, there's almost nothing about the Wii U that has any appeal to me, beyond the whole Miiverse aspect. I would never say that Nintendo makes terrible consoles, because I don't believe that - they just tend to make consoles that are not for me. So, unless the Wii U gets to the point that I could see myself using it as a primary console, I can't rationalize a purchase.

Obviously games drive the interest in a console, but at this point in life, I feel like I have to be more adult about things. *laughs* If has to be about more than a handful of games I'm curious about. Now, if Atlus' ENTIRE MegaTen line went Wii U exclusive, including Persona, that would put me in a spot where I'd have to give things seriously consideration. But, I'd also have to rethink my entire console-owning strategy as well. I just don't want three consoles sitting next to my TV anymore. Best-case scenario, I'd love to have only one.

Yea and i didnt like it. if they going SRPG route, it needs to be hella FE gameplay wise.

Maybe SMT characters will have an MP bar instead of weapon endurance :p

Most of the characters in the SMT side shown, don't even have mp at all, just the Demifiend. Dudes gotta rely on phys and devil summoning

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
This is what always bothers me.

Game 1 came out, but it's on console X, I don't want console X, I sure hope it comes to console Y instead.

Game 2 came out, but it's on console X, I don't want console X, I sure hope it comes to console Y instead.

Game 3 came out, but it's on console X, I don't want console X, I sure hope it comes to console Y instead.

Man I'd buy console X but it just DOESN'T HAVE ANY GAMES I WANT, why do all these games I want KEEP COMING TO IT?
Yeah, this is it exactly.

CSX

Most of the characters in the SMT side shown, don't even have mp at all, just the . Dudes gotta rely on phys and devil summoning

Yea true. maybe for those they get weapon endurance like FE characters and demons linked to their summoners (if summoner dies then demons disappear as well)

Again assuming this is FE gameplay wise

Mlatador

Banned
Fucking awesome news!! I really hope it's an SRPG. Ahhh, fuck, as long as it's not an FPS or Uncharted Clone - I'll get it anyway!

Hero

I'm not asserting that I want less games. I'd rather have a sequel or a brand new original game rather than a crossover game.

So games like Smash Bros, Marvel vs Capcom, Kingdom Hearts, etc aren't new/original titles?

It's the Bayonetta 2 meltdown all over again.

SykoTech

Talk about out of left field. Gonna need some sort of details before getting to excited, but that's certainly intruiging.

The whole "Persona 5 for the 3DS" seems more and more likely now that Nintendo and Atlus seem to have a really good relationship.

No it doesn't. Not at all.

mollipen

I don't understand this logic. You'd rather them not make a new game which nobody knows how it could turn out?

I would never tell a company not to make a game, because just as you said, we never know what the outcome will be. I'm saying that, as a concept, I almost always hate crossovers, and even while I have fond feelings for both franchises here, I have absolutely no interest in seeing them coming together.

But, again, I've never been the type who wants to see people denied games because I'm not interested in them. At the same time, I'm going to be honest in my feelings on projects like these.

NeonZ

Some people didn't like how simplified the whole management gameplay was compared to the actual Nobunaga games, but Pokemon + Nobunaga (Pokemon Conquest) was pretty standalone, the player didn't need to know about either series to play it, with every character and mechanic introduced in the game itself.

This game is clearly being made for an older audience than Conquest, but I don't think they'd go for some 'fanservice only' approach.

Top Bottom