• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

S-E news: New Agni's Philosophy in June 2013, (very) small VXIII and LR:XIII update

RPGCrazied

Only thing I'm interested in from SE currently is Versus. Fuck Lightning. :p I'm so tired of that universe and character. I would say Kingdom Hearts anything, but who's to say when we will get another game from them.

Globox_82

Banned
That would make sense.
Far more likely:
- Versus stays PS3 exclusive and is released in late 2014 (after PS4)
- Agni's is announced PS4 exclusive, then moved to 720 as well. PC gets a Facebook companion game

:(

yup I can see something like this.

Reveirg

You should note that he came in from the Eidos side.

He states multiple times in the interview that he's constantly going to Japan and has been working closely with the Lightning Returns, Versus XIII, FFXIV and Agni's Philosophy teams.

Besides, no matter where he comes from in the company, he's bound to be aware of everything if he's world technological director.

Even Eidos Montreal and S-E montreal's higher-placed staff know most of what's going on at S-E Japan.

There is literally no reason for Versus to stay exclusive at this point. But anyway can't wait to see Agni's Philosophy game or whatever. Hopefully Toriyama has nothing to do with it. Hopefully a lot of people from Square Japan have nothing to do with it.

Takao

Banned
Versus XIII (soon to be XV) will be PS3 exclusive ... in Japan. I have to imagine at some point during this game's tumultuous development cycle they ported over their tools to 360, and PC.

Versus XIII (soon to be XV) will be PS3 exclusive ... in Japan. I have to imagine at some point during this game's tumultuous development cycle they ported over their tools to 360, and PC.
I wouldn't be surprised but I don't use that logic. I mean they can barely get their shit straight on finishing it for one console, they're gonna start trying to optimize it for another as well? I mean I wouldn't be surprised if they did but I wouldn't be surprised if it stayed exclusive. Or at least a timed one.

Unless Versus is released on the next consoles I doubt they change the name to 15 at this point. 15 will probably be the relaunch of the franchise on next gen consoles.
I mean they can barely get their shit straight on finishing it for one console, they're gonna start trying to optimize it for another as well?

Who says it has to be optimized. See FF13

There is literally no reason for Versus to stay exclusive at this point. But anyway can't wait to see Agni's Philosophy game or whatever. Hopefully Toriyama has nothing to do with it. Hopefully a lot of people from Square Japan have nothing to do with it.

Yeah, no way the game could sell 5 million on the ps3's pitiful user base.

Takao

Banned
I wouldn't be surprised but I don't use that logic. I mean they can barely get their shit straight on finishing it for one console, they're gonna start trying to optimize it for another as well? I mean I wouldn't be surprised if they did but I wouldn't be surprised if it stayed exclusive.

If it's currently not on 360 or PC there's no way SCE doesn't try to get it to be PS3/PS4 at the very least.

Yeah, no way the game could sell 5 million on the ps3's pitiful user base.

It probably could, but unless the port job is a significant challenge there seems to be no reason to keep it exclusive. Probably why 13 was able to sell so much
I'm sure as shit glad an Eidos guy is in charge

Ha, I was never worried technically about any of their games. The story will still probably be written by you know who.

Squire

Banned
Should've asked about FFX HD, too, but whatever. I'm pretty sure Agni's will be FFXV and I'm sure as shit glad an Eidos guy is in charge.

If Versus ever releases I'm betting it's a swan song for this generation. Not next gen but released during it.

Agni's Philosophy is probably just a next-gen tech demo and we'll be waiting years for a real Final Fantasy to hit the new consoles.

imtehman

Banned
I'd be extremely shocked if Versus isn't multiplatform at this point.

And lets be honest, many here still care if it does or does not.

Caelestis

So we have a showing date for a demo-possible future game, and nothing concrete on Versus... I guess that will also come out before Versus then.

Meeeeehhhhhh. Speaking as a former FF fan, call me when they actually have a decent game in the works. I expect to be let down even from a tech perspective as the preproduction stuff from XIII was much better looking than what we actually got ingame. It seemed like every time I saw ingame shots of XIII prerelease, Lightning looked more and more poly starved :l FF needs a serious reworking cause if what they have in store are just more linear jaunts down ever prettier corridors you can count me out

SykoTech

So we'll be getting a Agni tech demo for the PS4 like the PS3's FFVII one? Eh.

Nothing else sounds particularly new. Non-news as usual, SE.

That would make sense.
Far more likely:
- Versus stays PS3 exclusive and is released in late 2014 (after PS4)
- Agni's is announced PS4 exclusive, then moved to 720 as well. PC gets a Facebook companion game

:(

That does indeed sound like the most likely outcome.

Meeeeehhhhhh. Speaking as a former FF fan, call me when they actually have a decent game in the works. I expect to be let down even from a tech perspective as the preproduction stuff from XIII was much better looking than what we actually got ingame. It seemed like every time I saw ingame shots of XIII prerelease, Lightning looked more and more poly starved :l FF needs a serious reworking cause if what they have in store are just more linear jaunts down ever prettier corridors you can count me out
they do have something more than decent in the works. It's called Versus!

Mario007

No kidding. That game was focus tested to death... I'm sure LR will be too. Actually, I'm sure they will after that godawful Lightning survey they just had on their site.

Didn't that actually help FF13-2 to become the superior game? I mean they are focus testing game elements which they did with FF13-2 and gameplay wise the game was amazing. Now, if they start focusing Toriyama's 'ideas' maybe we'll get a decent FF. Actually scratch that, the guy has genuinly interesting ideas but its his execution that is fucking awful.

It probably could, but unless the port job is a significant challenge there seems to be no reason to keep it exclusive. Probably why 13 was able to sell so much

I say 5 million because that's the series limit at this point, based on the last two entries. Versus could be on 20 different platforms and it can't sell more than that.

The only reason to port is if the expected revenue from the port outweigh the costs of creating and distributing the new version. Obviously there was that fear with the ps3 situation back in 2008, hence FFXIII 360. Even then the ps3 version shipped like 4 million. I don't see any reason to port Versus to 360 at this point. They should just focus on completing the game and shipping it already. There's more than enough people with ps3's now and the system is cheap enough for someone to buy it with a copy of the game.

As for PC? LOL. Wii U will see Versus sooner than that platform.

Reveirg

As for PC? LOL. Wii U will see Versus sooner than that platform.

I think people are underestimating the massive shift of philosophy going on at S-E right now. S-E Japan is growing closer and closer to their occidental counterpart, and this will most likely be shown with things like PC versions of Japan-developped games.

You're probably right. But maybe Eidos can knock some sense into them.

I really don't understand why FF13 and 13-2 was on 360 but not PC.

The only reason to port is if the expected revenue from the port outweigh the costs of creating and distributing the new versio

I'm sure the 360 version could cover the cost of porting. There are still many people who own 360s but do not own PS3s in NA. Like I said the only reason to keep it exclusive is if the tools they created for the game on PS3 are too difficult to port to 360.

I think people are underestimating the massive shift of philosophy going on at S-E right now. S-E Japan is growing closer and closer to their occidental counterpart, and this will most likely be shown with things like PC versions of Japan-developped games.

Next gen projects, sure. I'm talking about Versus. If that game isn't even showing up on other consoles, forget about the PC.

I just want to know more about Lightning Returns. I ended up enjoying 13-2 alot so I'm definitely interested in that game

Would be cool if Final Fantasy 15 were unveiled at E3 next year, using their next generation engine.

If Agni's Philosophy is 15, I really don't want to see it unless they are at most 1.5 years away from completetion. If they don't plan to release until like 2016 than forget it.

StuBurns

Banned
That would make even less sense....
I disagree. SE have pushed the game's release to the point it can't come out while it's target platform is viable. The only reason to do that is if you don't intend to release it on that platform. Moving it to next-gen is stupid if you intend to turn a profit, unless you have been financially incentivized by a first party.

CronoShot

Wasn't Agni's Philosophy running on some ridiculous PC hardware? Even with optimization it would have to be seriously toned down for consoles, unless they're far more powerful than rumors suggest.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
What went wrong with FF13-2? I never played it.

13-2 basically took all the user complaints about XIII and made a game without any sort of depth/heart. It's really a shell of a game that left no desire in me to ever visit it again.

Vamphuntr

FFD : Très bien, alors forcément j’ai parlé de Final Fantasy Versus XIII, et maintenant parlons de Lightning Returns : FF XIII. On a été plutôt stupéfait car on aura le droit à un troisième épisode centré sur ce personnage de Lightning qui est assez adulé par les fans, un personnage très charismatique. Est-ce que ce projet reprend un certain prototype de FINAL FANTASY VERSUS XIII en termes de développement de technologies ?

Shaking my head at the bolded part. Lightning is charismatic and loved by the fans? In which universe?

I disagree. SE have pushed the game's release to the point it can't come out while it's target platform is viable. The only reason to do that is if you don't intend to release it on that platform. Moving it to next-gen is stupid if you intend to turn a profit, unless you have been financially incentivized by a first party.

Yeah, I mean let release it for a console we don't even know will succeed. It's not like everyone is going to throw their PS3 out of the window when the PS4 will be out...

Reiko

Banned
Until I see something that would indicate otherwise, Agni's Philosophy is just more of Square Enix dabbling in CGI movie making.
Albeit very pretty CGI movie making.
Show me gameplay, something that isn't a mere tech demo and some actual concrete progress and I'll believe this isn't just another Last Guardian money sink.

SE needs to cut this focus group pandering shit out. There is no such thing as "right focus groups". It's destroying the franchise.

I'm expecting something along the lines of Resident Evil 6's QTE-riddled mess.
We all loved RE6 right, guys?

AGNI is porting Square's movie making CG into playable graphics. That's the entire point of the graphics engine.

We can finally play a Kingdom Hearts title that looks as good as the CG.

The graphics style has stagnated since KH2.

Stark

Banned
Wasn't Agni's Philosophy running on some ridiculous PC hardware? Even with optimization it would have to be seriously toned down for consoles, unless they're far more powerful than rumors suggest.

They said it was running on stuff that could be bought/used from the general market, iirc. So it definitely is doable.

But I doubt the next-gen consoles will have the highest end cards or equivalent.

StuBurns

Banned
Yeah, I mean let release it for a console we don't even know will succeed. It's not like everyone is going to throw their PS3 out of the window when the PS4 will be out...
Can you name a single game that sold in the multi-millions more than a year after that console was replaced?

they do have something more than decent in the works. It's called Versus!
That bit of vaporware? I lumped that in with TLG when I closed the door on my hopes and dreams man :/

Truth be told. I think I just grew up. I'm not a teenager anymore. If I'm gonna spend 60+ hours on a game whose chief draw is its plot, I demand more than the usual convoluted anime-esque plot with PG13 fanfic ready romance shoehorned in to ensure that SE ensnares both genders. At this point, I'm mostly in it for the usually stellar artwork and oftentimes memorable score. Nobody builds worlds quite like Square and it's something that I still appreciate even if the last game I enjoyed was IX.

If VS. represents a major fundamental shift in mechanics then color me surprised. Because for a series that's run for about two decades now, it's quite short on innovative mechanics and has run quite a staid course.

13-2 basically took all the user complaints about XIII and made a game without any sort of depth/heart. It's really a shell of a game that left no desire in me to ever visit it again.

I platinumed it and I think this is a bit harsh, it was a really lovely RPG in places with a lot to see and do, and nice music. I'm sure your initial review was a somewhat positive too, or I could just be remembering it wrong.

Durante

It wasn't really ridiculous. Just a single GPU. Basically a normal (though high-end) gaming PC.

That bit of vaporware? I lumped that in with TLG when I closed the door on my hopes and dreams man :/

Truth be told. I think I just grew up. I'm not a teenager anymore. If I'm gonna spend 60+ hours on a game whose chief draw is its plot, I demand more than the usual convoluted anime-esque plot with PG13 fanfic ready romance shoehorned in to ensure that SE ensnares both genders. At this point, I'm mostly in it for the usually stellar artwork and oftentimes memorable score. Nobody builds worlds quite like Square and it's something that I still appreciate even if the last game I enjoyed was IX.

If VS. represents a major fundamental shift in mechanics then color me surprised. Because for a series that's run for about two decades now, it's quite short on innovative mechanics and has run quite a staid course.

Seeing as FF XIII had one of the most innovative and exciting battle systems I have ever seen in a JRPG I very much disagree with this. Every new FF seems to be innovative in that sense. They certainly aren't rehashes.

And I dunno if growing up is it. Maybe for you. But i'm 32 and love FF more than ever. But my chief draw is enjoyable battle systems and customization, not story.

Top Bottom