• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon looking to build a second HQ in North America, will add 50k jobs

Amazon is looking for a city to site a second $5 billion headquarters
Amazon.com is scouting North American cities for a second company headquarters, where it plans to employ as many as 50,000 workers, the tech giant announced Thursday.

The Seattle-based company says it plans to invest $5 billion in construction and operation of the new location, which it is calling Amazon HQ2.

"We expect HQ2 to be a full equal to our Seattle headquarters," Jeffrey P. Bezos, founder and chief executive of Amazon, said in a statement. "Amazon HQ2 will bring billions of dollars in up-front and ongoing investments, and tens of thousands of high-paying jobs. We're excited to find a second home." (Bezos also owns The Washington Post.)

Amazon is seeking proposals from local and state government leaders, and says it is focusing on metropolitan areas with more than 1 million people. It is also looking for areas that can attract and retain technical workers and "a stable and business-friendly environment."

It added that the location does not need to in an urban or downtown location, or a development-prepped site.

The Lamp

Might as well add it to Dallas like every other fucking company moving here and destroying our traffic (glares at Toyota).

They should build it near Milwaukee. They can have the taxpayers foot most of the burden, while getting products fresh off the Foxconn line.

Something tells me that creating 50k jobs is not only not as good as it sounds, but a huge blow to the workforce where they land. But that's just intuition, don't know my economics well enough to back that up

it'll probably be East coast, my Guess Pennsylvania.

THey recently acquired a old ford plant in twinsburhg ohio and turned that into a fulfilment cetner.

They jsut purchased teh remnants of Randall park mall in warrensville heights ohio and turning that into a fulfilment center.

so My guess would be either in ohio and pennsylvania. equa distance from chicago newyork, pennsylvania being closer and quicker to toronto.

so i'm guessing somewhere in pennsylvania

Which east coast cities both have a large talent base and are the ripest for extreme gentrification?

Maybe...Durham NC?

Though I could definitely see Bezos even more thoroughly gentrifying Boston.

robochimp

THey recently acquired a old ford plant in twinsburhg ohio and turned that into a fulfilment cetner.

They jsut purchased teh remnants of Randall park mall in warrensville heights ohio and turning that into a fulfilment center.

so My guess would be either in ohio and pennsylvania. equa distance from chicago newyork, pennsylvania being closer and quicker to toronto.

They just put fulfillment centers in nearly every state, so it doesn't mean much.

If we're ignoring corporate welfare, an HQ would be a place for a lot of software developers, so they'd want to go somewhere that has or could attract a lot of talent.

Anecdotally, I get messages from Amazon recruiters about once a month, and every time I respond that I'm not willing to relocate to Seattle or the United States.

I'd imagine they'd either shoot for a suburb of New York or a suburb of Toronto.

MrMephistoX

L.A or Texas might make sense given the somewhat cheaper cost of living and ability to attract Silicon Valley talent plus most tech firms are active in both locations so opportunity to poach.

Draxal

If we're ignoring corporate welfare, an HQ would be a place for a lot of software developers, so they'd want to go somewhere that has or could attract a lot of talent.

Anecdotally, I get messages from Amazon recruiters about once a month, and every time I respond that I'm not willing to relocate to Seattle or the United States.

I'd imagine they'd either shoot for a suburb of New York or a suburb of Toronto.

I'm imagining they're going Southeast USA, the PNW will remain their big dev hub.

Trump to take credit in 3...

amazon felt the heat.

LAFZrbw.png

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
If they do it in Toronto my impossible odds of getting a home there probably got slightly more impossible.

Pastry

Banned
L.A or Texas might make sense given the somewhat cheaper cost of living and ability to attract Silicon Valley talent plus most tech firms are active in both locations so opportunity to poach.

If it were to be in Texas I don't think Austin would work. Can't imagine an HQ of that size functioning in the already bursting at the seams city. If it's in Texas my money would be on a DFW or San Antonio suburb. San Antonio has more space, close to Austin for tech talent, and has a decent amount on its own, with plenty of suburbs and infrastructure. DFW is the same but a bit farther from the talent in Austin.

BriGuy

Whatever city it ends up in will get the shit gentrified out of it. It's great if you can secure one of those high-paying jobs, but everyone else is going to drown under increased property taxes.

entremet

Obviously East Coast for that talent pool there. It's not gonna be NY, CT, or NJ--high taxes. Most likely Pennsylvania or Virginia. Possibly Maryland or even Delaware.

tim.mbp

Obviously East Coast for that talent pool there. It's not gonna be NY, CT, or NJ--high taxes. Most likely Pennsylvania or Virginia. Possibly Maryland or even Delaware.

Amazon will got all kinds of tax breaks, grants, exemptions thrown at them.

entremet

Something in a 500 mile radius from Hotlanta is my bet.

Taxes doesn't mean anything, they're going to be induced to go to a specific state.

Yeah, I know. You can get tax breaks. I just don't see those three states having attractive proposals. They're shitshows of bureaucracy. I'm from the Tri-State area and know our incompetence rather well lol.

grumble

If they do it in Toronto my impossible odds of getting a home there probably got slightly more impossible.

Honestly, that is why I don't think that Toronto would be the right choice. The city's so poorly planned it'd be an issue getting international talent to work there. Otherwise it'd be perfect.

Toronto needs to be a city of midrises, and get off the detached house cancer that's crushing it.

Draxal

Yeah, I know. You can get tax breaks. I just don't see those three states having attractive proposals. They're shitshows of bureaucracy. I'm from the Tri-State area and know our incompetence rather well lol.

Trust me Im fromthe area, they have won some of them.

I'm expecting this to go to the southeast though.

Hari Seldon

Toronto would have to be willing to play the tax break/free real-estate game. It looks like from the Washington Post article that Amazon is basically saying for cities to bid for the most free shit. That is why I don't see large cities like NYC or Toronto getting this. The smaller cities with the most to gain are the ones who are going to pony up the most.

Top Bottom