• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 11 is a truly magical piece of shit

Astral

I’ve had problems with it too but I figured out that it was all Tinder. Tinder in this update crashes the whole fucking phone if left open.

old

My biggest problem with i0S 11 is that they removed the scrobble bar from the pull up menu. Loved scrobbling songs playing in the background.

Bring back the scrobble bar!!!

gcubed

At least iOS gets updates.

i mean, the structure of it is so shit that you have to have an OS update to update things like safari, mail, calendar, etc.

I love my ipad, but it is definitely eye opening coming from Android and hitting all of the limitations in iOS.

Giolon

My biggest problem with i0S 11 is that they removed the scrobble bar from the pull up menu. Loved scrobbling songs playing in the background.

Bring back the scrobble bar!!!

Do you mean scrubbing? If so, 3D Touch / Long Touch on the player widget in control center for an expanded interface including the scrubbing bar. Alternately, pull down from the top to open Notification Center for scrubbing controls while something is playing.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Haven’t really encountered anything of note on my 6S, but I do get the iMessage bug fairly often. Definitely no freezes or app crashes. Battery drain has been awful on my phone in general even before iOS 11 so not sure that’s really the culprit of my current battery woes.

Surfheart

Yeah, its not in good shape atm on 7+

* Battery life is not as good, phone heats up like a mofo just browsing twitter.
* Input field/keyboard for imessages randomly disappears and I have force quit.
* Some apps get stuck in landscape aspect.
* UI performance has degraded.
* Podcast app is a disaster.
* Taps sometimes don't register
* Taps on status bar to scroll Safari randomly stop working, force quit Safari to fix.

jstripes

Banned
i mean, the structure of it is so shit that you have to have an OS update to update things like safari, mail, calendar, etc.

I love my ipad, but it is definitely eye opening coming from Android and hitting all of the limitations in iOS.

At least iOS gets updates.

Cipherr

Yeah my friend has been bugging out over it and Ill admit Ive been having a laugh.

"They removed the text under the apps on the dock thingie! Why!"

"My battery dies in half the time now!"

"All of a sudden my IDApple password doesn't work!"

"I cant fix my password because it says my security questions are wrong! I remember what street I grew up on, how can it be wrong! It never changed!"

"Oh my god the security question was case sensitive!?"

"Why is my computer getting my texts 4 hours before it shows on my phone all of a sudden!?"

"Oh god now I have to wait 96 hours for my account to recover etc etc"

I probably got a lot of that wrong because I havent touched Apples ecosystem in an eternity, but this shit has had me laughing my lungs out for the last week or two. He upgraded and its been a fucking nightmare. Moreso than usual.

Watching the same guy that tries to tell me I don't REALLY enjoy my headphone jack, sitting on a phone with some rep with his phone plugged to his Mac trying to do some phone form of holding Control-Alt-Delete so he can "Reset and Recover" his phone that's stuck in some... mode, which will of course delete all the data on the phone
e5YuU.gif
so he can restart it and discover later than none of the data he thought was in the cloud, was actually IN the cloud, so its gone.... is just..

Wow.

plex keeps on freezing my ipad mini 2 and it feels way more sluggish than ios 10 ever was

I hate it

I also don't like clicking a link in inbox or whatever and it just opens up chrome a tiny window instead of just taking me fullscreen

BTA

My 6S has been having weird enough problems (occasionally just turning off but then going to the home screen without the white+apple restart and still letting me use Touch ID, Safari constantly losing all my tabs, etc.) as is that I don't want to upgrade.

But my Watch battery swelled and the replacement they gave me is fully upgraded, so I have to go to 11 just to use it again...

strata8

This OS needs a beast of a hardware to perform well. I have to say it works great on iPad 10.5, but I actually wish they didn't even bother releasing it for iphone 6.
But that’s crap, it really shouldn’t. The iPhone 6 is nearly as fast as some Android flagships, there’s no excuse for iOS running as poorly as it does. It’s not like it’s doing anything far more advanced than Android, and Apple has the luxury of optimising for a relatively small number of devices.

reKon

Banned
To all those complaining, did you factory reset or not? I'm not an iOS user, but doing this has always solved any issue I had after a major Android update (well I actually don't have issues, but I feel like automatically doing the reset, prevents issues from ever occurring!)

mokeyjoe

But that’s crap, it really shouldn’t. The iPhone 6 is nearly as fast as some Android flagships, there’s no excuse for iOS running as poorly as it does. It’s not like it’s doing anything far more advanced than Android, and Apple has the luxury of optimising for a relatively small number of devices.

Processor-wise, but only 1gb RAM. Maybe RAM is more of an issue for iOS 11.

But I agree, iOS 11 is poorly optimised, given that there are performance issues even on iPad pros.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
These stories are so crazy. It has been working really well on my iPhone 6. The only thing I wish they did was make the control center completely customizable. I find it too convoluted. They should let us move things around and even make a second page like before if we want to. Maybe I just need some time to get used to it.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Same here on a 5s. I think it’s gotten slightly better with the point updates and with apps getting updates.

- apps occasionally freeze and eventually crash. When they are frozen the phone often doesn’t respond and screen and button presses queue up
- control center still sometimes doesn’t recognize music players other than Apple Music (how convenient) and volume controls stop working. Super annoying when you’re working out

Whogie

It's rough. I've been using 11.1 beta just so I could get bug fixes faster. It has its own set of problems, but it doesn't seem as bad.

The 1GB RAM devices like my iPad Air or my parents' iPhone 6 are fucked, performance-wise.

Exotoro

ios 11 locked me out of my apple id for like two weeks until i finally was able to reset my password through their shitty service

not a great first impression

its been working okay otherwise but feels very like a very unnecessary visual change

ZOONAMI

No problems on my 8+, but I wouldn’t expect any problems vs upgrading an older device. Clean installs help?

Definite issues with Siri on my Apple Watch via iPhone 6 since updating. Super frustrating as it works flawlessly at times still and was very reliable before the update - WTF.

Mr Swine

Banned
I just switched from Android for the first time in 10 years (iPhone 8) and am wondering why I bothered. iOS is so buggy it’s making my Nexus 5X look lke a piece of brilliance.

Why is iMessages so buggy?
Why does my performance slow to half-speed sometimes?
Why does Spotify sometimes stop playing after sending a message?
Why does Siri randomly get prompted when I turn my phone off?

Has it always been this bad? Yeesh...

Only the half speed or 30fps bug is all I got. Otherwise iOS 11 has been pretty stable

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I just switched from Android for the first time in 10 years (iPhone 8) and am wondering why I bothered. iOS is so buggy it’s making my Nexus 5X look lke a piece of brilliance.

Why is iMessages so buggy?
Why does my performance slow to half-speed sometimes?
Why does Spotify sometimes stop playing after sending a message?
Why does Siri randomly get prompted when I turn my phone off?

Has it always been this bad? Yeesh...
This is so odd to me. I've been running iOS for years and I haven't had any of these issues.

Wifi takes ages to reconnect after unlocking on my 6S+ now. It's annoying to open twitter or spotify or whatever and have them using 4G for a while before the phone gets a clue. If I open settings it will reconnect immediately for some reason.

Dougald

I haven’t had any issues on my 6S, apart from poor battery life for the first 24 hours after upgrading, and control centre looking like the sort of terrible windows xp desktop applets I used to install when I was a teenager, only marginally more useful

hEist

Had some issues on 11.1 beta 1 on iphone7
- apps opening in landscape mode (specially tweetbot all the time)
- minimized facetime calls and switching to another app showed me half of the screen just plain black
- notifications still buggy
- 1-2 springboard crashes
- every 3-4 days hardlooks

junmped on beta 2 last night:
so far no problems here.

BeeDog

Utterly slaughtered my old 6 Plus battery overnight, and the UI performance is way down. Also hate the Wifi/bluetooth reconnection behavior, any way to turn that shit off? The Wifi keeps trying to reconnect to the weak office signal all the time despite me turning it off.

Tobor

I don’t understand why some of you are having these problems while others(like myself) have no issues whatsoever.

I’m on a 7+ and an iPad Pro, no issues.

And I love the new podcast app. It’s easier to use than before. Give it a chance before condemning it.

Yea I like Apple but iOS11 has been a terrible experience for me thus far on my 7 some of my major issues:

It doesn't always register taps (seriously getting out of a twitter moment is a PITA now because taps in the upper portion just don't register(

Apple apps (and Twitter) will flat out stop responding for no reason

Battery life is complete ass

Bluetooth will sometimes randomly disconnect

Safari becomes nonresponsive if I'm on a webpage for too long, doesn't even matter what page I'm on. I've had it freeze on google ffs

kikiribu

Yeah I regret updating. I’m on 6S Plus and it really doesn’t feel polished yet. Weird locking, bottom of page on browsers doesn’t finish loading sometimes, sometimes if I take a screen shot I get a white screen, random freezes..

Just feels pretty buggy a lot of the time.

Fine on my iPad, but my iPhone 7 isn't havin' a good time. I had to restore my phone after apps would randomly hang for up to ten seconds at a time.

valkyre

6s here and ios 11 since first beta, works like a wonder.

Today I also installed IOS 11.1 beta 2 and they finally brought back 3D Touch multitask (that was removed in IOS 11)

I am very very happy.

Phone runs smooth as butter and I am impressed because its going to be a 3rd year that this phone feels fast/fresh as fuck.

Iphone feels like a great investment for the future.

Mindwipe

iOS in general has just become progressively worse since Jobs passed. Now I would argue that Android is the better OS in nearly every aspect, whereas before I would argue that iOS's walled-garden approach had benefits in terms of stability, intuitiveness, quality of first-party apps, etc. All of which have slowly gone down the drain since Jobs's passing.

The walled garden never helped there. It was always the case that iOS benefitted from being a relatively clean, new OS without legacy cruft.

But now it's the worst of all worlds - Apple don't make any of the legacy cruft work, and they also clearly don't have the time or resource to go through and do a proper code cleanup - iOS's code base is full of things written for hardware features or functionality that no longer exists or has been through several directions of travel now, and frankly it's beginning to show really badly.

A bit of this happened with iOS8, but clearly not enough, and the situation is getting really bad again. It needs a Snow Leopard. But software leadership in Apple is totally lacking now.

Kaimu

IOS 11 has been working really well on my 6S. Very strange that everyone seems to be having so many issues. Hopefully IOS 11.1 fixes some of that?

medrew

I don’t understand why some of you are having these problems while others(like myself) have no issues whatsoever.

I’m on a 7+ and an iPad Pro, no issues.

And I love the new podcast app. It’s easier to use than before. Give it a chance before condemning it.

I was waiting for this post and it did not disappoint

Perfect low level astrolad

kiguel182

It has been great on my SE and iPad Mini. Really smooth and with minimal bugs.

The iPad stuff has some clunky UI stuff (mostly related to drag and drop) but it has been fine.

Top Bottom