• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Scientific Facts are Social Constructs" - is this true?

pigeon

Banned
I don't see the distinction, morally. Philosophers and physicists can both be evil, and both be good.

Technology allows mass murder, ideas permit it.

Historically, the idea that science is meaningful and philosophy isn't has been a big contributor to it, though.

Cocaloch

You seem a little perturbed and I'm not sure how you would know whether or not I was looking up the definition.

I guess I could have been more specific, though I think what I said was pretty clear. I wasn't saying you never in your life looked up the definition of fact. That would be a stupid claim. I was saying posting a hyperlink on GAF was not looking up the definition of the word, which it clearly isn't. You may have looked it up first, but you were doing something different in posting it. It doesn't take a genius to understand what you were actually doing in that action. That is the action I was talking about.

It implies that you think I'm lying, which I don't appreciate.

I mean if you were actually saying that posting that link was you looking it up you are clearly incorrect. If you were just talking about another thing you did then it's kind of a random non-sequitur.

I honestly looked it up because I thought fact == truth and to me whether or not you believe something has no bearing on whether or not it is true. When presented with something counter to that, I thought, oh, perhaps my understanding of the word "fact" is incorrect, I should check. So I did.

Okay. I'm not concerned with that. You then did somethings after that. Those are the things I'm calling out.

exYle

I agree with you but I wouldn't put it that harshly lol.

I'd say if your discipline cannot prove its assertions through repeatable experiments then it is not very useful. This includes a lot of physics as well lol. But still fun to talk about.

This includes the idea that science is a social construct. Ok it is fun to debate, but not useful to assert unless you can prove it. Show me the experiment that proves this, and make sure that it is repeatable.

How about the gamut of scientific knowledge that has been eventually disproven over the centuries?

ibyea

Banned
So, what would be capital T truth?

It's not science, I absolutely can tell you that. Nor is it available to us mortals. Look up epistemology and even the attempt to define knowledge is a difficult problem, and how Gettier's cases ruin everything. But I will emphasize, just because we don't have the capital T truth does not make mean it is pointless to obtain a good approximation of knowledge.

ShyMel

I just don't know about throwing the word "scientific" in there then, unless the goal is to be bluntly provocative

Well if that class is anything like mine were, sometimes professors have to be provocative to engage students and get them interested in discussing subjects. Especially in larger classes.

I've only really run into the problem is Psychology classes, where you still have a lot of "soft" skills professors running around who seem like they're more interested in trying to validate themselves than actually staying current and useful on their information. For them, they seem to be pushing the narrative of "there are no right or wrong answers" as a self-defense mechanism because they don't actually have most of the right answers and are too lazy to learn them.

I agree with you but I wouldn't put it that harshly lol.

I'd say if your discipline cannot prove its assertions through repeatable experiments then it is not very useful. This includes a lot of physics as well lol. But still fun to talk about.

This includes the idea that science is a social construct. Ok it is fun to debate, but not useful to assert unless you can prove it. Show me the experiment that proves this, and make sure that it is repeatable.

Invent me a time machine to go back and 'understand' history.
Then invent me an anthropological framing device that allows me to empathise fully with an individual back in time. Wipe my mind clear so I have no distorting views.
Then invent me a computer into which I can feed every single strand of cultural, social and political meaning generated and grasped by a person in time, and have it explained in simple terms.

I'll be waiting, cheers. Would make my life a lot easier.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
One can (granted with luck, money and training) observe that the earth is not flat.

You can observe what you call 4 things, and demonstrate how 2 of them put together with another 2 of them makes 4... but if society collectively started saying that 2 and 2 together makes 7... then 7 would become the new 4 (and obviously something else becomes the new 7.. maybe 2) and it would no longer be a fact that 2+2=4

It was asked if 2+2 = 4 is a fact...

It's technically not, and I'm being hideously pedantic here because I can, because in the end what we call 4 is only 4 because that is societal convention... 4 could be anything if we decided it so.... Same with 2.... There is nothing inherently factual about 4... we can change it tomorrow and the world would keep on going as normal, with some early adaption issues of course.

Would you agree that a point of confusion here is that some people are talking about the absolute value of a certain thing, while others are talking about the axiomatic definition of a thing, and that a lot of us are condescendingly assuming that the others don't know that based on the inevitable disagreements that occur when discussing incomparable parameters?

Historically, the idea that science is meaningful and philosophy isn't has been a big contributor to it, though.

I'd frame it more as 'science' was used at points (e.g. Nazi use of eugenics) to justify morally diabolical action. But that appropriation of science is not born simply out of science. It was born out of romanticism also, for example. People, as we know to our cost/delight, pick ideas and tools that they can justify to themselves by appeals to higher virtues. Those virtues are explained in philosophy.

Cocaloch

Why? Like this is a massive assertion without any justification at all.

You realize that experiments cannot get at all the things we might want to learn and think about right? You realize that your entire assertion here rests on principles that fundamentally cannot be shown through experimentation right?

Would you agree that a point of confusion here is that some people are talking about the absolute value of a certain thing, while others are talking about the axiomatic definition of a thing, and that a lot of us are condescendingly assuming that the others don't know that based on the inevitable disagreements that occur when discussing incomparable parameters?

Sure... I guess?

g11

Saw this on Twitter today:

Do you think that science at the end of the day is all just theory and that nothing, not even gravity or the periodic table, should be considered objective? Is the professor sharing what you feel to be is a truth in its own right?

I just hope that's not a science class.

Cocaloch

Out of curiosity, do students of sciences read the likes of The Structure of Scientific Revolutions at undergrad?

Generally no. But I'm not sure it was ever really true that most science majors read it. It's generally read by philosophy, history, sociology, and anthropology students though.

That's not what's going on here. The difference isn't only a difference in arbitrary semantics. It's that a certain set of semantics leads to a system that is not internally consistent.

I'd frame it more as 'science' was used at points (e.g. Nazi use of eugenics) to justify morally diabolical action. But that appropriation of science is not born simply out of science. It was born out of romanticism also, for example.

The modern era is marked by "science" built from testing and processes and hypothesis that were as often later proven "wrong" as "right." Because these thinkers often lacked in scope, space, equipment, view, etc., etc. But they were certain they were producing knowledge - which is (related to) that thing we so often consider fact, isn't it?

Generally no. But I'm not sure it was ever really true that most science majors read it. It's generally read by philosophy, history, sociology, and anthropology students though.

I think many scientists don't even study the history of science...At least before PhD level.

That's a damn shame. We did read it in my undergrad work, but my degree was in anthropology.

exYle

Given that we can't really comprehend absolute values without viewing it through an axiomatic lens, taking a stance towards absolutism is effectively futile. Our brains don't work like that.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
I guess I could have been more specific, though I think what I said was pretty clear. I wasn't saying you never in your life looked up the definition of fact. That would be a stupid claim. I was saying posting a hyperlink on GAF was not looking up the definition of the word, which it clearly isn't. You may have looked it up first, but you were doing something different in posting it. It doesn't take a genius to understand what you were actually doing in that action. That is the action I was talking about.

I mean if you were actually saying that posting that link was you looking it up you are clearly incorrect. If you were just talking about another thing you did then it's kind of a random non-sequitur.

Okay. I'm not concerned with that. You then did somethings after that. Those are the things I'm calling out.

Ah I see, yeah you're right - I just quickly posted the link after I read it because I was on hold on the phone and the CSR came back on the line. Essentially that post should have read: "Here's the definition I found and the one that I typically think of when I hear the word "fact" - I see facts and beliefs as related, but not interchangeable. Feel free to link me to some definitions that are differing"

Cocaloch

I don't see the distinction, morally. Philosophers and physicists can both be evil, and both be good.

Technology allows mass murder, ideas permit it.

The difference isn't that philosophers make ideas and scientists discover facts, it's that philosophy is critically reflexive. Science should be too, but in increasingly discarding, especially amongst lay people, its philosophical framework and buttress it loses sight of that.

Futureman

Maybe this has already been mentioned but lots of these intro college courses will present various influential frameworks within their disciplines. Just because this is on a slide in some college classroom doesn't mean the professor necessarily believes this or is trying to indoctrinate students.

I remember learning about Freud in college and some students thinking it was broadly accepted psychological theory.

Cocaloch

I think many scientists don't even study the history of science...At least before PhD level.

The vast majority of scientists never seriously study the history or philosophy of science. This includes the PhD level.

That's a damn shame. We did read it in my undergrad work, but my degree was in anthropology.

It's a good book, but I think the real shame is that scientists increasingly do not engage with any sort of humanistic or social scientific examination of science.

The Wart

This is true. Some sets of agreed upon "facts" do a better job of predicting and providing control over the natural world than others, and the "facts" generally grouped as "scientific facts" are clearly the best at this. But that doesn't mean that any set of "scientific facts" should be considered as Objective Truth, whatever that means. For instance, someone citing evolution should consider that the theory of evolution is not a "fact" so much as it is a framework for housing a massive network of interrelated propositions. Any individual claim in that framework may be true or false, more or less controversial within the field, etc. So it is not that simple.

The vast majority of scientists never study the history or philosophy of science. This includes the PhD level.

This is the sad truth.

Hari Seldon

How about the gamut of scientific knowledge that has been eventually disproven over the centuries?

Yeah I worded that incorrectly. If you are saying that science is a social construct, that implies that different cultures come up with different science, correct? I think we all agree on this. Obviously most of the soft sciences easily are social constructs, as many cultures have different competing but unprovable assertions regarding psychology or even Human Evolution.

For me to believe that science is a social construct, I want to see another culture with provable with experiment science that is somehow fundamentally different from the equivalent provable with experiment science that we have.

I want to see a culture with working radios based on Bob's Laws of Electromagnetic which are fundamentally different than Max's. And not just the same theory but more generalized (i.e. Einstein vs Newton regarding gravity).

Really? This seems a lot like the opposite of formalism to me,

and then you dismiss everything that disagrees with that as "contrarianism".

The contrarianism I'm referring to is more of the bong rip Terryology variety. What I mean by swapping the meaning of the glyphs is an acknowledgement of formalism more than a derision.

The vast majority of scientists never seriously study the history or philosophy of science. This includes the PhD level.

It's a good book, but I think the real shame is that scientists increasingly do not engage with any sort of humanistic or social scientific examination of science.

Yeah, that is a damn shame. I think a philosophy/history of science module should be required for all STEM undergrads.

Someone reacting to “scientific facts are social constructs” like that is probably going to fail the class.

Scientific Facts are about consensus. The consensus has been wrong, frequently, for most of human history. There’s plenty we’re still not sure of.

Taking a screenshot like this and flipping out about how “absurd” it is is intellectually dishonest; they aren’t even trying to understand the concept.

See, this is a good example of reacting without comprehending. That’s not what’s being said here. “Scientific facts” are.

Also, learn about the history of science! It’s full of obvious-to-us bullshit, and obvious-to-us bad methodology. People 50 years from now are going to look at stuff we commonly believe to be true and shake their heads. Learning to be skeptical of disciplines that claim to be skeptical is important. Look at the current crisis in reproducibility in peer-reviewed papers.

The scientific method is great, but we’re still irrational emotional social animals trying to convince each other we’ve got this figured out.

Remember when no one believed that the Sun revolved around the Earth

Remember when no one believed black people were biologically inferior to white people

I'm so glad for the omnipresent impermeable objective truth of science

Everything you think is a social construct unless you were raised by wolves, have not interacted with people, and don't know a language.

No it's not. How much, philosophy and history of science have you read?

Glad to see both of you elaborating on your points so the rest of us can learn anything at all from your posts!
I know full well that science changes over the course of time, and that certain types of sciences are indeed based on mysticisms that exYle brought up, so I don’t understand the acerbic reaction you have towards my statement. I agree that science nor philosophy are fields that I have a genuine interest on, so I was writing with the societal connotations of “real science” as defined by contemporary thought, such as the existence of global warming. If I’m not being well-reasoned or well-informed enough to participate in the discourse, then I agree, but I don’t think baring your fangs at my statement and expecting me to be incredibly well informed and read on complex philosophical and scientific texts would amount to anything much other than fishing for arguments.

If your goal is to inform me that, yes, science changes over time and new findings lead to new theories, then I understand that.

Yeah I worded that incorrectly. If you are saying that science is a social construct, that implies that different cultures come up with different science, correct? I think we all agree on this. Obviously most of the soft sciences easily are social constructs, as many cultures have different competing but unprovable assertions regarding psychology or even Human Evolution.

For me to believe that science is a social construct, I want to see another culture with provable with experiment science that is somehow fundamentally different from the equivalent provable with experiment science that we have.

I want to see a culture with working radios based on Bob's Laws of Electromagnetic which are fundamentally different than Max's. And not just the same theory but more generalized (i.e. Einstein vs Newton regarding gravity).

Great post!

Timbuktu

That is surprising, I've read into these things and I'm an architect. I didn't think the scientific community is still so resolutely positivist, do they think these kind of thinking undermine their position or contaminate their idea of science somehow? It is similar in other professions as well, some tend to regress into the core knowledge of their fields.

Hari Seldon

Why? Like this is a massive assertion without any justification at all.

You realize that experiments cannot get at all the things we might want to learn and think about right? You realize that your entire assertion here rests on principles that fundamentally cannot be shown through experimentation right?

Yeah this is probably too harsh lol. I meant it in the narrow context of a conjecture that can be proven via experiment is more useful than one that cannot. For example, anyone high on acid can come up with a theory of the universe, but unless you can prove that it is correct it is pretty useless lol. Even hardcore mathematical physics like String Theory falls into this. The theory is pretty damn useless in my eyes until it can make a prediction that can be proven. Otherwise it is just fancy math and nothing else.

I am loving this retort that "I won't accept your critique of science until you can validate it according to the norms of science."

If only this were true across the board. IMO there should be no sacred cow, no idea left unchallenged.

Seems that this thought as more or less drifted into the grad programs and not that of undergraduate.

This is unfortunate but not surprising. My thoughts on this are really inchoate, but I sort of wish we hadn't lost the distinction between the land-grant/A&M model of education and the liberal arts model. Different groups of people have very different ideas (none of them wrong) about the purpose of higher education.

If anyone wants to make a mega post detailing the different definitions and nuances of “social construct” and the different types of “sciences” that fall under the umbrella of being a social construct, then that would be well-appreciated.

Thus far, I understand that accepted scientific definitions changing over time makes the scientific facts a social construct, which is something I’m in agreement with.

What I don’t understand is: why label science as a whole as purely socially constructed when science itself has a self-correcting empirical methodology?

Cocaloch

Yeah, that is a damn shame. I think a philosophy/history of science module should be required for all STEM undergrads.

I teach a required history of science class for STEM majors seeking a specific extra qualification. They get a survey at the start of the class and another 5 or 6 weeks in. At the start it's generally 95% of students who say that Science exists outside of people doing it, by the second survey it's only about 50%, and most students will acknowledge that even if they disagree with seeing science as a social construct it is at least valid.

Ok so this naturally developed into another exact sciences versus social sciences battle

I'm not seeing anyone putting social sciences above science. I'm seeing people say everything but science is pointless, and other people saying that science is social. The later doesn't diminish science in any way.

I know full well that science changes over the course of time, and that certain types of sciences are indeed based on mysticisms that exYle brought up, so I don't understand the acerbic reaction you have towards my statement.

Your statement was calling something garbage. Are you really that surprised you got a negative response? Your comment was hardly value neutral...

If I'm not being well-reasoned or well-informed enough to participate in the discourse, then I agree, but I don't think baring your fangs at my statement and expecting me to be incredibly well informed and read on complex philosophical and scientific texts would amount to anything much other than fishing for arguments.

If you had said "I disagree that science is a social construct" you would not have received those responses. I honestly am shocked that you cannot see that yourself.

mavo

Banned
How is Science not a social construct?

Remind me of how people always put experience and science in some sort of dichotomy.

Everything is inherently subjective because it arises out of us, the subjects.

The claim of objectivity is to understand an objects inherent properties outside of the realm of human senses and experience. This is inherently impossible, as even notions of "object" and "property" are confined within human sensibility. We are permanently contained within ourselves.

However, this is not a strike against science unless one thinks science has to be objective to be superior to other approaches to understanding the world. Yes, science is a social construct. Social constructs are not inherently errant, but at some point people came to treat them as such. "Race is just a social construct" - and? Everything is a social construct. The statement is not particularly illuminating on its own.

What science has over every other way of thinking is this: it creates standards of mutual measurement and communicability. To state the temperature of an object is not an objective claim - it is a subjective one. But we have methods so that any other human can attempt to take a temperature reading and receive the same proximal subjective experience. That is the value of science - it does not automatically fall to the same level of pseudosciences like alternative medicine directly as a result of becoming "subjective".

I'd imagine these books would be on the course reading list:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laboratory_Life

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leviathan_and_the_Air-Pump

https://books.google.co.uk/books/about/Making_Natural_Knowledge.html?id=ttE8AAAAIAAJ&redir_esc=y

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Structure_of_Scientific_Revolutions

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/TechnoFeminism

Along with a million others from the Strong Programme, ANT theorists, and so on. And this is the more sociological stuff, the tip of the epistemological iceberg really. Is science an old fashioned post-reformation revalatory, or is it a system for inscribing truth values, or something else entirely.

Fhtagn

I know full well that science changes over the course of time, and that certain types of sciences are indeed based on mysticisms that exYle brought up, so I don’t understand the acerbic reaction you have towards my statement. I agree that science nor philosophy are fields that I have a genuine interest on, so I was writing with the societal connotations of “real science” as defined by contemporary thought, such as the existence of global warming. If I’m not being well-reasoned or well-informed enough to participate in the discourse, then I agree, but I don’t think baring your fangs at my statement and expecting me to be incredibly well informed and read on complex philosophical and scientific texts would amount to anything much other than fishing for arguments.

If your goal is to inform me that, yes, science changes over time and new findings lead to new theories, then I understand that.

Well, the opinion you put forth was hyperbolic and intense. “Actual garbage.” That generally results in a similarly intense response.

The trick the original twitter user is pulling is to present the phrase “social construct” out of context enough that they can say “hey, look, academics are full of shit.” They aren’t even paying attention to what their professor is saying; they have been prepped to think this concept is bullshit and took a photo to try to shame their professor instead of learning the argument being made.

Social construct doesn’t mean false. Recognizing that what we recognize as science is affected by the society it is practiced within is very important. It’s not just that science changes over time. It’s that what achieves critical mass as “indisputable facts” is also subject to what society will allow; there are plenty of ideas that have the weight of decades of research that are just too controversial for society to accept as indisputable facts. Hell, climate change, evolution, vaccines... all things that in wider society are considered science facts or fiction based on social norms.

The concept of social construction is not one that invalidates the idea of facts, it is one that illuminates how facts come to be accepted as facts.

And that’s why it’s not “actual garbage”

What I don’t understand is: why label science as a whole as purely socially constructed when science itself has a self-correcting empirical methodology?

And where did that methodology come from?

Cocaloch

I'd imagine these books would be on the course reading list:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laboratory_Life

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leviathan_and_the_Air-Pump

https://books.google.co.uk/books/about/Making_Natural_Knowledge.html?id=ttE8AAAAIAAJ&redir_esc=y

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Structure_of_Scientific_Revolutions

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/TechnoFeminism

Along with a million others from the Strong Programme, ANT theorists, and so on. And this is the more sociological stuff, the tip of the epistemological iceberg really. Is science an old fashioned post-reformation revalatory, or is it a system for inscribing truth values, or something else entirely.

Excellent recommendations, well I don't know the last book, but that's not going to get through to people here. I've beaten that drum here many times, especially Leviathan and the Air Pump. The problem is people first have to see this understanding as at least somewhat valid before they will actually commit to learning about it. Calling it actual garbage and dismissing everything but experimentation is not a good start.

Your statement was calling something garbage. Are you really that surprised you got a negative response? Your comment was hardly value neutral...
That’s fair.

That’s why I went back and qualified exactly what I meant when I posted that. If someone were to tell me that global warming didn’t exist, then I’d call them garbage. If someone were to tell me that gravity didn’t exist, then I’d call them garbage.

Clearly I’m making gross oversimplifications of the rationale, so I’m asking to be educated so I can understand and have a baseline understanding of the nuance behind the subject.
Well, the opinion you put forth was hyperbolic and intense. “Actual garbage.” That generally results in a similarly intense response.

The trick the original twitter user is pulling is to present the phrase “social construct” out of context enough that they can say “hey, look, academics are full of shit.” They aren’t even paying attention to what their professor is saying; they have been prepped to think this concept is bullshit and took a photo to try to shame their professor instead of learning the argument being made.

Social construct doesn’t mean false. Recognizing that what we recognize as science is affected by the society it is practiced within is very important. It’s not just that science changes over time. It’s that what achieves critical mass as “indisputable facts” is also subject to what society will allow; there are plenty of ideas that have the weight of decades of research that are just too controversial for society to accept as indisputable facts. Hell, climate change, evolution, vaccines... all things that in wider society are considered science facts or fiction based on social norms.

The concept of social construction is not one that invalidates the idea of facts, it is one that illuminates how facts come to be accepted as facts.

And that’s why it’s not “actual garbage”

And where did that methodology come from?
I see. Obviously the context of social construct was so far removed from the screenshot itself that it led me to conflate “fake” with “social construct.” I see way too many alt-right nonsense about “social constructs” that it clouded my perception.

Thank you.

exYle

If your original post was not designed to incense, then your intentions have mismatched your actions.

You're not expected or required to have advanced knowledge of these topics. But if you enter a discussion on said topics with a dismissive tone, then I don't think it's unfair that you were, in turn, dismissed.

mokeyjoe

As an anthropologist working in a STEM field this whole thread amuses me greatly.

1. Obviously on some level scientific facts are social constructs. Science is a human social enterprise which seeks to create 'facts' to best describe the natural world. Sometimes these facts are right, sometimes they eventually get proven wrong and superceded by better facts. Sometimes (as with Newtonian physics), they retain great usefulness but do not accurately portray reality. Sometimes, they do seem to be perfect descriptions of reality. Great. Any statement is still a social construct whether right or wrong.

2. It is especially important to know this as a scientist. All ideas can be challenged, you simply can't do science if you start treating facts as holy cows, that, in itself, is profoundly unscientific. That does not mean you throw everything out because it's 'all made up'. Everything stands or falls on the basis of evidence.

3. Take the case of Cecilia Payne-Gaposchkin for instance. She was the first to discover that the sun was primarily made of hydrogen and helium. The evidence was clear, but she was persuaded not to publish this as she was a student, a woman, and this was at odds with general scientific belief at the time. This 'information' did not become a scientific 'fact' until 4 years later when it was eventually discovered again by a senior male researcher. Now, whatever you think of the process by which research becomes accepted as fact, it not apolitical or asocial.

4. You don't have to agree with a concept to learn about it! This isn't something a professor just 'made up'. We're taking about social constructivism, postmodernism, and fundamental tenets of STS. Any lecturer would be entirely remiss to leave out massive and influential philosophical movements in a class such as this just because some people don't like the idea. There are huge, often contradictory, schools of thought in a subject area that straddles everything from genetics and neuroscience, to politics and philosophy. You don't just leave stuff out because it's no longer fashionable. If you want to disagree with something you should do so from an informed perspective, not one of ignorance.

Cocaloch

Yeah this is probably too harsh lol. I meant it in the narrow context of a conjecture that can be proven via experiment is more useful than one that cannot.

I don't know if I agree, they are fundamentally different sorts of knowledge and should be understood as qualitatively different. The ideas that the English Civil War came about partially because of a decline in the authority of the aristocracy, that math fundamentally cannot have a single unified set of axioms, that pi is transcendental, that humans take 9 months to gestate, and that E=Mc^2 are all just different. None is abstractly better or worse than the others. That's a weird, and pointless!, game to play.

Even hardcore mathematical physics like String Theory falls into this. The theory is pretty damn useless in my eyes until it can make a prediction that can be proven. Otherwise it is just fancy math and nothing else.

The problem with theoretical physics is different, and theoretical physics is not analogous to Economics, History, Philosophy, or Comparative literature.

I see. Obviously the context of social construct was so far removed from the screenshot itself that it led me to conflate ”fake" with ”social construct." I see way too many alt-right nonsense about ”social constructs" that it clouded my perception.

Thank you.

I think the key issue with that is the alt-right uses the word to diminish the thing it's being applied to. People in this thread aren't doing that. I'd say most people in this thread are arguing that all conceptions are social constructed, because all conceptions are created by a specific subjectivity and ones social context will always be quite impactful on their subjectivity.

4. You don't have to agree with a concept to learn about it! This isn't something a professor just 'made up'. We're taking about social constructivism, postmodernism, and fundamental tenets of STS. Any lecturer would be entirely remiss to leave out massive and influential philosophical movements in a class such as this just because some people don't like the idea. There are huge, often contradictory, schools of thought in a subject area that straddles everything from genetics and neuroscience, to politics and philosophy. You don't just leave stuff out because it's no longer fashionable. If you want to disagree with something you should do so from an informed perspective, not one of ignorance.

I'm also not sure this is unfashionable. I'd say most Historians, Anthropologists, and Sociologists of Science hold a lot of ideas from the SSK even if they are not outright SSKers themselves.

stephen08

It depends what the meaning is here. If we are talking about Scientific facts and the authority we as a society we ascribe to them then yeah, they are something of a social construct. If it’s saying the basis of science is just what society dictates it be well then obviously not.

Like others have said more context is needed here but I’m sure the rational skeptic community (TM) have said as much already...

Scientific Facts are about consensus.
Never in any eternity. Never ever. That's absurd.

Scientific facts are facts. That's it. Consensus is what happens when you have 90 of one and 10 of the next but there is no 100% repeatable result that can be measured and quantified time and again but it's "close enough".

Consensus seeks to agree on a direction and is not considered Science Fact.

E:
There is a consensus in the scientific community that the universe is probably teeming with life, but it's not fact as it hasn't been proven yet.

mavo

Banned
Never in any eternity. Never ever. That's absurd.

Scientific facts are facts. That's it. Consensus is what happens when you have 90 of one and 10 of the next but there is no 100% repeatable result that can be measured and quantified time and again but it's "close enough".

Consensus seeks to agree on a direction and is not considered Science Fact.

E:
There is a consensus in the scientific community that the universe is teeming with life, but it's not fact as it hasn't been proven yet.

There is obviously some consensus on what is considered a fact (or in how to arrive to facts), hence when somebody presents their conclusion we say they are facts.

There needs to be a consensus in what is a "fact" for sure.

Top Bottom