• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think Anthem will get a downgrade graphically?

The first real time demo of the game was from the PS4 Pro showcase, right? That was not an amazing looking game.

The first glimpse we got was the leaked alpha footage which featured an unfinished cutscene that arguably looks better than the original game

I'm sure there was a sneak peak of it at an E3 before that wasn't there? Showed the nomad driving around a desert world and daddy Ryder's N7 armour?

And as was posted above, the PS4PRO event footage still looked noticeably better than what we actually got.

Snefer

Not typically the demos they use for press conferences or showfloor demos , no. But for Judge's week stuff and BCD demos...

cant say I have heard of that being target renders either tbh :) Target renders are mostly kept inhouse or between the dev and publisher.

Almost assuredly, id like to be proven wrong though. The reason i love bioware games though is the characters, hell even adromeda had a great cast of team mates, so hopefully that isnt lost in the loot game and the single player still has its roots in bioware rpg character goodness. Andromeda wasnt a great looking game neither was inquisition (though it had great art direction) i dont think frostbite was meant to handle open world rpg's of that nature.

Isak_Borg

I seriously doubt it because Bioware/EA need a big win after the Mass Effect debacle.

I could see them delaying it a bit for extra polish but think it's an important title for them going forward, hopefully they learned from ME:Andromeda.

Graphics don't worry me at this point but I am worried about them nailing the gameplay on a title like this. Destiny and The Division had a lot of growing pains, and don't think they've made a game in this style before so worried they might screw the pooch.

Playsage

I'm sure there was a sneak peak of it at an E3 before that wasn't there? Showed the nomad driving around a desert world and daddy Ryder's N7 armour?

And as was posted above, the PS4PRO event footage still looked noticeably better than what we actually got.

It was not a real time demo, though

On consoles, of course. Don't be stupid.

If you own a GTX 1080, there is a chance that maybe the end game will end up looking like the initial trailers.

angelic

Banned
I still doubt that was even gameplay tbh.

I agree, the trailer looks fake as hell. This flight to water transition for example, this isnt running in real time and being played by anyone. I think its all prerendered with watertight NDAs in place.

besr1.gif

I agree, the trailer looks fake as hell. This flight to water transition for example, this isnt running in real time and being played by anyone. I think its all prerendered with watertight NDAs in place.

besr1.gif

Wasnt there someone on neogaf that has seen it played live for the trailer?

Iscariot

Isn't this question sort of directly tied to "Do you think Anthem will be delayed significantly?"

If it gets pushed back to 2019, do we start to consider PS5/XBO X2 as launch possibilities?

Blah blah... Vertical slice... Something something.

Annoying, but 99% guaranteed.

Do any developers actually achieve their vertical slice aspirations?

leeh

NeoGAF, the depression of gaming.

Seriously, what's up with everyone? The game was clarified to be running on a 1X with CBR; pop-in is seen in the trailer and you all still claim it's rendered on a stupid PC.

angelic

Banned
Wasnt there someone on neogaf that has seen it played live for the trailer?

If im wrong fair enough, it just looks far too slick for a real game, theres no way they have something running to that level of fidelity.

Neither would any player be controlling the camera in that perfectly smooth swoop. It aint real gameplay, no chance.

besr1.gif

Did anyone in this thread watch the Digital Foundry analysis? If this was faked, they put a ton of effort into making it look like it was running on actual hardware.

Disclaimer: Anthem gameplay was a huuuuuge turnoff for me and I have zero I interest in the game. That said, p sure the footage is legit.

If it's really running on an xbonex, I think there would be no downgrades. Unless this is a *very* disingenuous vertical slice, for instance forcing the demo on a linear path, instead of fully open to crank up the fidelity.

Vertical slices are rendered real time but that doesn't mean the game will look on par with the vertical slice. The Witcher 3 & Watch Dogs were also real time but didn't look like their vertical slices at all.

But they were vertical slices aimed for PCs, more powerful than both consoles ended up being.

Supposedly this is a vertical slice running on a xbonex already.

Ehker

NeoGAF, the depression of gaming.

Seriously, what's up with everyone? The game was clarified to be running on a 1X with CBR, pop-in is seen in the trailer and you all still claim it's rendered on a stupid PC.
You have a clear bias to want to believe in this E3 trailer, but we've seen too many reasons not to by now.

Frostbite gives me hope, but then Bioware subtracts some of that hope.

At the very least I don't think it'll be an Ubisoft or Gearbox level downgrade.

Maybe the PC version will be able to get close to what was shown at E3 at least.

Without an ounce of doubt, YES.

Honestly, what do we even gain from not expecting everything to be downgraded? Almost everything that was showcased from this generation has been downgraded in some substantial way (including Uncharted 4, bite me). If it does reach that level of polish on launch day, THEN I'll give it the hype it deserves, but I'm too cynical to be blatantly marketed to like this so many times. I'm just hoping the gameplay is as seamless as it's presenting itself to be
it won't

I have worked on 20+ AAA games, I am fully aware of the work involved in E3 demos :) Its not at all by definition target renders. A target render is when you make a non-realtime render, and then you try to achieve that visual quality, its quite different. Sometimes that is being presented at E3 and is indeed a fake demo, but thats rarer than people on gaming forums think.

I think we're talking past each other here. I am not talking about a target renderer as in a Killzone 2 demo showing, I'm talking about polishing parts of a game prematurely for marketing and promotional purposes on a trade show.

Also, 20+ AAA games is a lot of games under your belt. Holy cow! I don't work in the games industry, but have worked a lot with software, and usually what we'd do is that we'd go out of our way to polish up a part of the app to show the client how it would feel across the spectrum.
it helps give the client a good idea of how the entire finished product could look like.

But of course it's only a tiny bit we've built, and we don't always are able to hit that level of quality across every aspect of the software, but we do try, and my experience has been that it's a motivator.
I just assumed it would be the same on many development teams.

Mubrik

On console (ps4/xbone)
Fuck yes.
Not a downgrade tho (Should be possible on PC?), technically what we've seen wasn't running on both consoles, no way.

Is it running on frostbite engine? If yes good chance it can look as good. If no then very good chance for a downgrade. was the demo running on PC? If so I expect medium-low setting on vanilla Xbox one and PS4. And medium with couple of high settings on Xbox one x and ps4pro.

DevilDog

I really don't see what is so graphically impressive about this, it's just good resource management.

Plus, the frostbite engine is made to look good and to fuck everything else. I don't expect a downgrade, only a change in graphics, maybe.

That storm looked annoying as hell for gameplay.

Snefer

I think we're talking past each other here. I am not talking about a target renderer as in a Killzone 2 demo showing, I'm talking about polishing parts of a game prematurely for marketing and promotional purposes on a trade show.

Also, 20+ AAA games is a lot of games under your belt. Holy cow! I don't work in the games industry, but have worked a lot with software, and usually what we'd do is that we'd go out of our way to polish up a part of the app to show the client how it would feel across the spectrum.
it helps give the client a good idea of how the entire finished product could look like.

But of course it's only a tiny bit we've built, and we don't always are able to hit that level of quality across every aspect of the software, but we do try, and my experience has been that it's a motivator.
I just assumed it would be the same on many development teams.

Yeah, alright then :) Its just that target render tend to mean something else in a game production, is all. But yes, E3 demos are prematurely polished. If done well its a benefit to the game, if done in a bad way its a timesink. Hehe, yeah I managed to put my fingers into a lot of games over the years.

Ehker

Such as? Cause that DF article came to a very solid conclusion.

Bias with who? Ubisoft? Bioware?

Xbox, obviously! You know that.

And DF isn't always the best source, since they also said Watch_Dogs delivered on the promise of its initial E3 2012 trailer. That's a hard claim to take.

It's time to get wiser to these E3 trailers, don't you think? Wait for real gameplay.

leeh

Xbox, obviously! You know that.

And DF isn't always the best source, since they also said Watch_Dogs delivered on the promise of its initial E3 2012 trailer. That's a hard claim to take.
So because I said DF came to a solid conclusion that its running realtime on a 1X I'm bias towards Xbox? K. Great conclusion jump.

Top Bottom