• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

Syder

NoHQAYh.gif

HpwxQjn.gif

Boxing isn't about fighting who is next in line though. It's about who you can make the most money against. They can find anybody to fight him, Canelo is the draw. For fucks sake, do you honestly think Chavez Jr is deserving? Or is he getting this fight because of his name?

Duh... Chavez Jr is getting the fight for his name. Chavez Jr used to be a huge draw. It's a huge Mexican fight. His fight with Sergio Martinez Jr had almost 500K PPV buys. There are no more names or guys for Canelo to fight afterwards, and middleweight is more barren especially after Golovkin cleared them out.

Y'know what, perhaps they could fight Lemieux after his recent televised KO against Stevens. OK, I'll give you that.

I'm puzzled as to why people think Canelo doesn't stand a chance against GGG. Look at Canelo's resume; he's probably fought the best level of opposition of anyone in the sport right now, besides Manny. He comes into the ring around 170 easy. I think he beats Golovkin too.

Duh... Chavez Jr is getting the fight for his name. Chavez Jr used to be a huge draw. It's a huge Mexican fight. His fight with Sergio Martinez Jr had almost 500K PPV buys. There are no more names or guys for Canelo to fight afterwards, and middleweight is more barren especially after Golovkin cleared them out.

Y'know what, perhaps they could fight Lemieux after his recent televised KO against Stevens. OK, I'll give you that.

You have to remember these guys only fight 1-2 times a year now. It's easy to have a blueprint where Canelo can line up enough fights to keep him busy for another 24 months, and then all of a sudden GGG is 36 or 37.

We talk about GGG's fights, what's next for Jacobs?

Hopefully a rematch but unless this PPV did big numbers, GGG's people will probably steer him elsewhere.

I'm puzzled as to why people think Canelo doesn't stand a chance against GGG. Look at Canelo's resume; he's probably fought the best level of opposition of anyone in the sport right now, besides Manny. He comes into the ring around 170 easy. I think he beats Golovkin too.

It's how he looks in his fights that's the problem. What does Canelo do better than Golovkin? Can you name one thing? Hell after watching tonight's fight, I think Jacobs boxes circles around Canelo maybe even hurts him and possibly get a KO.

Tubie

It's how he looks in his fights that's the problem. What does Canelo do better than Golovkin? Can you name one thing? Hell after watching tonight's fight, I think Jacobs boxes circles around Canelo maybe even hurts him and possibly get a KO.

All you need to do is watch his piss poor showing against Mayweather (even Cotto did much better on that).

Canelo basically hits hard and can take a lot of punishment. He's not known for his boxing.

Hopefully a rematch but unless this PPV did big numbers, GGG's people will probably steer him elsewhere.

Yeah, let's see how the numbers stack up. If they make bank, expect a rematch.

Jacobs could fight Lemieux......

That's what me and friends are thinking of, too.

Yeah. Jacobs is just, from tonight, better all around especially since he went 12 rounds with the supposed best fighter right now. What tonight just showed us was that GGG is beatable. He isn't the monster people thought he was.

Oscar is definitely looking real stern at Canelo vs GGG now and his chances of Canelo giving GGG a decent fight.

He's faster, he throws better combinations, better counterpuncher, takes a good shot, he's younger, he's battle tested. He's not some lamb being led to a slaughter.

All you need to do is watch his piss poor showing against Mayweather (even Cotto did much better on that).

Canelo basically hits hard and can take a lot of punishment. He's not known for his boxing.
he fought floyd very young, since then he got way better at boxing.

BadAss2961

I'm not sure about Jacobs beating Canelo that easily, but I agree with the rest.

Jacobs is tall, came into the ring big, and proved to be a tricky stylistic matchup for GGG. I don't think Canelo's game poses a problem of it's own against GGG. I still think it's a bad matchup for Canelo... Fighting a granite-chinned stalker who has even more power than himself and could possibly outbox him as well.

He's faster, he throws better combinations, better counterpuncher, takes a good shot, he's younger, he's battle tested. He's not some lamb being led to a slaughter.

Faster? Canelo is slow, and even if he was faster the difference would be negligible. Takes a good shot? Golovkin takes much bigger shots therefore I don't see Canelo being able to KO him much less hurt him. Ok, maybe a better counterpuncher... maybe. Canelo definitely has youth on his side and he's definitely battle tested. I don't think he's some lamb being led to a slaughter, I just think he doesn't have any additional skills or attributes to overcome the obstacles Golovkin presents, unlike Jacobs who was bigger, faster, more athletic and has much better footwork which he exploited to allow him to get his punches off much quicker and constantly move around and frustrate Golovkin. In that case, I thought Golovkin would've done a much better job at cutting off the ring, and I didn't have much faith in Jacobs in putting it all together, but he definitely did and looked the best I've ever seen him.

Chichikov

I had Jacobs 115-112, but honestly, there were a couple rounds that were pretty close (plus I was pretty drunk). So I don't think it was a robbery, but 115-112 for GGG seems high to me, I'll have to rewatch the fight.

Either way it was a good fight, I think Jacobs outboxed GGG for most of it, and if he doesn't have a couple of lapses of concentration he wins this decisively. I also wasn't super impressed with Golovkin, I think the right fighter can beat him pretty handily, though I'm not sure if that's Canelo.

TheCrow

Robbery? Lol, damn good fight but just because GGG looks human doesn't mean he lost. Had it 115 to 112 for GGG. But I can see 114-113 too.

Canelo doesn't fight like Jacobs so I don't see how this fight affects that match up.

During the fight I had it a draw / maybe going with Jacobs by one round.

But I watched the replay this morning with no sound and I think it was clear GGG decision, he was landing that jab all night, and the fact that Jacobs was competetive I think lead me to score more for Jacobs out of surprise/rooting for the underdog.

Many of the close rounds I think GGG just shaded due to his accurate jab, and dictating the pace.

kinggroin

Banned
Ok so after watching again, I give it to GGG.

Back to what I was saying earlier the first time, his jab was landing almost at will and was able to slip most of Jacob's punches.

I think I was just so surprised by Danny's energy, willingness to trade on the inside, finding the body near the end, along with GGG gassing out the last quarter of the fight that the actual points were being glossed over.

Still close, but 114-113 GGG.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
2 bad decisions in one night.

Jacobs and Chocolito both won.

BTW.. I had Ward over Kov in a super close fight.

pixelation

Of course he has a chance against GGG, Golovkin did not look that special yesterday TBH.

Brashnir

Lomachenko is taking solid fighters and making them look like dog food in the ring. Hoping we see him in the ring with someone on the elite level soon and he doesn't get old waiting for a big fight.

I've always said out all of the Eastern European fighters including Kovalev and Golovkin; Lomachenko was by far the best. He has the perfect blend of athleticism, speed, power, footwork, technical ability, and ring IQ I love watching in my fighters. Loma had no business ever losing to Salido.

Golovkin is massively overrated and I can't believe he's the #1 P4P on ESPN's list.

CrocoDuck

Hi guys, I'm still a Junior so I can't make a thread about this. So I want to ask the Boxing community here for help.

I've been contemplating a lot about picking up boxing. I have experience hitting the bag/jump rope/speed bag from doing it at my local gym. But now that my membership has expired, I want to take it to the next level by joining a dedicated boxing gym.

My question is, what are the standard membership fees for a boxing gym? I've checked online and they all seem to vary. The one that's closest to me has an offer for 100 per month/once a week; and an unlimited use for 180 per month. I have the money for it, but I don't want to feel too ripped off. I checked their website and they seem to have a good amount of amateurs and professionals training there, and their reviews are pretty good, too. If it helps I live in NYC Brooklyn. Thanks guys.

I was at the Ward-Kovalev press conference this morning. Here's my write-up:

https://sundaypuncher.com/ward-kovalev-ii-is-on-62b3cb989f9a

I am super pumped for this fight.

EUO2or5.jpg

It was at the penthouse of a hotel in NYC, which was awesome. But there was light blasting in which basically made it impossible to take good pictures, which was not awesome.

Thank you for the write up

Hi guys, I'm still a Junior so I can't make a thread about this. So I want to ask the Boxing community here for help.

I've been contemplating a lot about picking up boxing. I have experience hitting the bag/jump rope/speed bag from doing it at my local gym. But now that my membership has expired, I want to take it to the next level by joining a dedicated boxing gym.

My question is, what are the standard membership fees for a boxing gym? I've checked online and they all seem to vary. The one that's closest to me has an offer for 100 per month/once a week; and an unlimited use for 180 per month. I have the money for it, but I don't want to feel too ripped off. I checked their website and they seem to have a good amount of amateurs and professionals training there, and their reviews are pretty good, too. If it helps I live in NYC Brooklyn. Thanks guys.

A lot of boxing gyms are independent, so their prices differ between gyms. For example, I went to the Wild Card Gym in Hollywood and was told it would be 50 per month.
I believe if you go to a gym that has a lot of cutting edge equipment, the membership will be expensive, whereas a gym that has the old school aesthetic will be somewhat cheaper. If you can, research other gyms in your area and compare their prices.

Tater Tot

"My God... it's full of Starch!"
A lot of boxing gyms are independent, so their prices differ between gyms. For example, I went to the Wild Card Gym in Hollywood and was told it would be 50 per month.
I believe if you go to a gym that has a lot of cutting edge equipment, the membership will be expensive, whereas a gym that has the old school aesthetic will be somewhat cheaper. If you can, research other gyms in your area and compare their prices.

This is 100% correct. It all depends on the location, coach's stable of fighters, wear and tear of equipment, how much time the coach will put into teaching you.

There is not real set price for example I was used to paying 80-100 dlrs a month here in Socal but when I went to a tournament in Oxnard I was surpised they only pay 40-50 dollars. They also have a really big boxing scene up there.

The only advice I can give you is to call all the local gyms up and ask to speak to the headcoach. Make small talk and then ask him "How many miles should I put to my roadwork so that I have good conditioning?"

If they say 5 miles just hang up. If they answer and tell you it does not matter but to just run for a set amount of time (ex: 45 min ) then they know their shit.

I was at the Ward-Kovalev press conference this morning. Here's my write-up:

https://sundaypuncher.com/ward-kovalev-ii-is-on-62b3cb989f9a

I am super pumped for this fight.

http://i.imgur.com/EUO2or5.jpg[img]

It was at the penthouse of a hotel in NYC, which was awesome. But there was light blasting in which basically made it impossible to take good pictures, which was not awesome.[/QUOTE]

IS Kovalev as scary in real life as he is on screen?

CrocoDuck

This is 100% correct. It all depends on the location, coach's stable of fighters, wear and tear of equipment, how much time the coach will put into teaching you.

There is not real set price for example I was used to paying 80-100 dlrs a month here in Socal but when I went to a tournament in Oxnard I was surpised they only pay 40-50 dollars. They also have a really big boxing scene up there.

The only advice I can give you is to call all the local gyms up and ask to speak to the headcoach. Make small talk and then ask him "How many miles should I put to my roadwork so that I have good conditioning?"

If they say 5 miles just hang up. If they answer and tell you it does not matter but to just run for a set amount of time (ex: 45 min ) then they know their shit.

IS Kovalev as scary in real life as he is on screen?

Thanks guys. I caved in and they gave me a free lesson. Holy shit, I was dead by the end of the session. I want to continue with the training, but god damn, major kudos to everyone who does this for a living.

Top Bottom