• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pyramids of Giza and Orion's belt alignment true?

Everyone knows about the theory of the Pyramids of Giza aligning with the Orion's belt constellation. So researching little bit on this, the original statistics were refused by some scientist because it didn't align exactly with the belt. However, they calculated the alignment for 2550BC when they originally theorized that's about when the Pyramids were built. New calculations indicate that the alignment to the Orion's belt is precise in 10500BC, indicating that the Pyramids are much older. I just want to know if this is true and accepted?

Everyone knows about the theory of the Pyramids of Giza aligning with the Orion's belt constellation. So researching little bit on this, the original statistics were refused by some scientist because it didn't align exactly with the belt. However, they calculated the alignment for 2550BC when they originally theorized that's about when the Pyramids were built. New calculations indicate that the alignment to the Orion's belt is precise in 10500BC, indicating that the Pyramids are much older. I just want to know if this is true and accepted?

That's what the Illuminati want you to think.

Jacob

I've never heard of the earlier dating theory before but if the Ancient Egyptian civilization was actually 12,000+ years old I'd think that archaeological evidence of this would have been discovered by now, given the amount of work that has been done there.

Ri'Orius

Not familiar with the specific topic, but if someone is trying to use an Ancient Aliens-style celestial alignment to refute the archeological date of an ancient structure, it's almost certainly bullshit.

Here you go dawg
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orion_correlation_theory
Krupp also pointed out that the slightly bent line formed by the three pyramids was deviated towards the north, whereas the slight "kink" in the line of Orion's Belt was deformed to the south, and to match them up one or the other of them had to be turned upside-down.[11] Indeed, this is what was done in the original book by Bauval and Gilbert (The Orion Mystery),[12] which compares images of the pyramids and Orion without revealing that the pyramids’ map had been inverted.

Oops

Everyone knows the pyramids actually point to the aliens' home world. The same aliens that built them

3TtcutJ.gif

Iksenpets

Banned
What if the builders calculated for it to be aligned to 8000 years in their past?

What if they were just sort of shit at doing the alignment, and we've made a ridiculous theory out of an attempt to correct for their mistake?

The historical record on all of this is pretty clear, regardless. They weren't built 12000 years ago.

norm9

~10000 bc sounds about right since thats the time period when the Sphinx was created, based on the water level damage on the limestone or something.

platocplx

Honestly I believe humanity is a lot older than we think. And probally over time we will keep finding more and more evidence proving that. Time is a concept humanity has a hard time grasping especially vast quantities. Where people can't see how we evolved etc.

As for this? Maybe? If we see that the pyramids are way older.

Belker

Is there evidence for the Egyptians placing emphasis on Orion or saying it had some part in their religion?

Let's say it could align, maybe the first question is 'Why would it?' To build something so massive with such precise placement; they would have to be a compelling reason to do so.

EDIT from Wikipedia

Through the hope of new life after death, Osiris began to be associated with the cycles observed in nature, in particular vegetation and the annual flooding of the Nile, through his links with the heliacal rising of Orion and Sirius at the start of the new year.[12] Osiris was widely worshipped as Lord of the Dead until the suppression of the Egyptian religion during the rise of Christianity in the Roman Empire.[15][1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osiris

What if they were just sort of shit at doing the alignment, and we've made a ridiculous theory out of an attempt to correct for their mistake?

The historical record on all of this is pretty clear, regardless. They weren't built 12000 years ago.
"Man, these stones are heavy as fuck! Let's just put 'em down here. No one's going to fret over this."

HeySeuss

Well the Sphynx is a lot older than scholars believe when you consider the evidence of water erosion. But I don't think the pyramids are older than we think. I do think they were built to mimic Orion's belt, but they're also the most prominent group of stars in the sky. Not like they had to be directly overhead to be patterned after.

i just said the theory of it. not that people believed in it

And I said that not everyone knows it, because not everyone spends their time reading up on nonsense.
There are plenty of things that I don't know about. I'm sure someone somewhere has theories about all sorts of crazy stuff - doesn't mean I'm going to take the time to find out about it.

Here you go dawg
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orion_correlation_theory
Krupp also pointed out that the slightly bent line formed by the three pyramids was deviated towards the north, whereas the slight "kink" in the line of Orion's Belt was deformed to the south, and to match them up one or the other of them had to be turned upside-down.[11] Indeed, this is what was done in the original book by Bauval and Gilbert (The Orion Mystery),[12] which compares images of the pyramids and Orion without revealing that the pyramids’ map had been inverted.

Oops

but that was if it was aligned 2550BC.

one can argue that in 10500BC, it aligned perfectly, with consideration of the axial precession. that is why i'm asking, because not only did the Orion's Belt aligned but the Spinx aligned true north and faced directly to Leo.

HeySeuss

And I said that not everyone knows it, because not everyone spends their time reading up on nonsense.
There are plenty of things that I don't know about. I'm sure someone somewhere has theories about all sorts of crazy stuff - doesn't mean I'm going to take the time to find out about it.

You don't need to follow conspiracy theories to notice the correlation between the Giza pyramids and Orion's belt. Unless you've never seen any of the stars before.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
they aligned the pyramids to the position of orion's belt at the time of the aliens' arrival.

they also left behind the screenplay for men in black.

Neither has 99% of the world's population. Unless you've never seen aerial photos of the famous Giza strip I'm not sure how you can be so obtuse here.

I've never seen them in relation to the stars.
And I couldn't tell you what most of the "constellations" are, anyway.
Plus, the OP is talking about how they were arranged thousands of years ago.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
You don't need to follow conspiracy theories to notice the correlation between the Giza pyramids and Orion's belt. Unless you've never seen any of the stars before.

Except they don't correlate, beyond there being three of them. The pyramids are upside down compared to the Orion stars and they're off by well over 10 degrees compared to the stars' alignment with one another at the time.

If they are meant to correlate, the civilization that managed to align 60 ton blocks to an error margin of inches somehow managed to miss the mark by many meters when it came to where to put the fucking buildings.

Jedi2016

I just finished reading a book on the history of the pharaonic era of Egypt, and it turns out there's actually pretty good archaeological evidence of the original unification of the country and the founding of the First Dynasty. Not a lot of written details, to be sure, but there's still carbon dating... meaning we know pretty conclusively when it happened. And it sure as shit wasn't twelve thousand years ago.

There are plenty of other pyramids all over Egypt, and they don't line up with anything. Placement near another pyramid was usually just a way of trying to make oneself look more important and riding the coattails of the greater pharaoh.

The one true thing about the placement and orientation of the pyramids at Giza is that they're perfectly aligned with true north (or were, at the time of their construction... they're off by a fraction of a degree now).

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
but that was if it was aligned 2550BC.

one can argue that in 10500BC, it aligned perfectly, with consideration of the axial precession. that is why i'm asking, because not only did the Orion's Belt aligned but the Spinx aligned true north and faced directly to Leo.

The Pyramids wouldn't look anything like they do today if they were built 100,000 years ago. They would be eroded mounds at best, if totally gone and absorbed by the surrounding natural environment.

Top Bottom