• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

zkylon

zkylewd
They said they won't do any major changes or remove/replace stuff from the current ending, so I think they'll "subtly" retconn the ending by just adding a few scenes that make clear what really happens post-Starchild. No indoctrination theory, no nothing, just the companions you brought to the Catalyst running to the Normandy, and all the ships escaping the colored explosions. Then, a few scenes with the universe being rebuilt, saying that with half the galaxy on the Sol System, they fixed the relays in no time and life was back as great it was. All the civilizations of the galaxy build statues of Shepard and everyone's happy, specially Tali, who miraculously revives if she was killed by some reason.

tl;dr fan service + hackjob to kinda explained what happened + fan service + fan service + fan service + fan service + fan service + fan service. I don't know if people will like it, but that's where my bets are.

And I seriously doubt they'll dump the franchise, director's cut or not. This is EA we're talking about...

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
And I seriously doubt they'll dump the franchise, director's cut or not. This is EA we're talking about...

Every time some major pub commits to another game they do a study. If the results are "NO, we won't buy another game in ME universe" they won't make it.

they need to fix their short dev cycles, not the ending. Also Hudson said that they don't want to make games in post-ME3 universe which is baffling to me. I mean they can retcon it easily because it's pulp sci-fi.

subversus

HAHAHAHAHA

well, I guess that is it

twitter.com/#!/GambleMike/status/193201678000979968

"What would be the most exciting place in the ME universe to revisit? Which time period?"

zkylon

zkylewd
Every time some major pub commits to another game they do a study. If the results are "NO, we won't buy another game in ME universe" they won't make it.

they need to fix their short dev cycles, not the ending. Also Hudson said that they don't want to make games in post-ME3 universe which is baffling to me. I mean they can retcon it easily because it's pulp sci-fi.
I don't think there's enough indication to suggest a new ME wouldn't be widely successful, shitty ending or not. Most people never even get to the ending, and there's people that just play the games for the shooting. I mean, if Bioware put a no-dialogue mode in the game, it's because it was requested.

The percentage of people that hate the ending are probably the usual vocal minority, the same people that said DA II was terrible, only that in this specific case of the ending, there's no discussion, it's just shit. Bioware and EA are doing what they owe ME players (say all you want about entitlement but this series had deceptive marketing like no one) by fixing the ending for free, and they seem to be taking notes for DA III, but (and I agree with you that they should) I don't see them changing their CoD-like schedule anytime soon.

Fingers crossed, though. DA: O and ME1 were fantastic, ambitious games, and all that Bioware needs is a little more time, and a whole lot less focus testing.

subversus

I don't think there's enough indication to suggest a new ME wouldn't be widely successful, shitty ending or not. Most people never even get to the ending, and there's people that just play the games for the shooting. I

actually at least half of those who bought the game finished ME2 (or slightly more - I don't remember for sure and I can't find this interview now) according to Bioware. That corresponds nicely to their figure of 54% who imported their saves in ME2. I think this figure won't change much for ME3. And most of these people ARE PISSED now. So no, these people are important to Bioware because there are a lot of them, they buy CEs and DLC and Mass Effect doesn't sell 10 million copies with each release to remain profitable in case of people giving up on the franchise.

Rufus

HAHAHAHAHA

well, I guess that is it
"Please say contact wars, please say contact wars, please say contact wars..."

Hurgh.

And because it turns out to have been a story, nay legend, some old man told to a child. They gave themselves the perfect out.

Sotha Sil

Damn, and I was about to pitch a sequel, too. The new protagonist, Falcon, is a young human from Vancouver whose family was hit pretty hard by the Reapers. Needless to say, the city is in pretty bad shape, and you (yes, you!) have to rebuild it. You spend most of the game exploring the galaxy, searching for supplies; but in the post-relays universe, human explorers spend most of their travelling time in cryo-sleep. When you come back from each voyage, a few years have gone by, and Vancouver changes! Chest-high rubble, lots of re-used assets. Bioware will eat it up.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Damn, and I was about to pitch a sequel, too. The new protagonist, Falcon, is a young human from Vancouver whose family was hit pretty hard by the Reapers. Needless to say, the city is in pretty bad shape, and you (yes, you!) have to rebuild it. You spend most of the game exploring the galaxy, searching for supplies; but in the post-relays universe, human explorers spend most of their travelling time in cryo-sleep. When you come back from each voyage, a few years have gone by, and Vancouver changes! Chest-high rubble, lots of re-used assets. Bioware will eat it up.

Still want my agents of the shadow broker game. Six agents, one for each class. Short stories that connect to create a main plot.

Zen

Banned
HAHAHAHAHA

well, I guess that is it

The first contact war is the only thing that comes to mind (since you'd pretty much have to have humans). But really? Who cares if it's a prequel. I'm sure you could have some game that's good on its own merits but what does any of tht matter when everything ends in a room with a ghost child giving you three terrible choices completely devoid of everything that came before.

I wonder if Bioware/EA realize how 'we don't want to make games in the post ME3 portion of the universe' completely cripples them. I could give a shit about upcoming pre ending DLC, and any pre ME games just seem needless.

Sotha Sil

Still want my agents of the shadow broker game. Six agents, one for each class. Short stories that connect to create a main plot.

This sounds awesome. Right next to "C-Sec Noir" in the "too awesome for us" folder. I'm sure Casey Hudson has one of those in his office.

Zomba13

You love deus ex machina's in your stories? What's the point of reading a book or watching a movie if the only important thing that matters is at the very end? Also, what emotional connection was there between Shepard and the human child? Did he know his name? Facebook friends? Tell me.

I'm facebook friends with the kid. He's a dick. Always posting racist rants :(

Also we all know we need an Archangel game.

subversus

Started playing ME1 to get my ME fix which ME3 didn't provide.

Damn, this game is so much better. Writing is much better, there is inventory, squadmates mean something.

ugh. I must stop doing this and delete all ME games from HDD.

Gazzawa

Damn, this game is so much better. Writing is much better, there is inventory, squadmates mean something.

GTFO! Enjoy your long elavator rides. Borderline retarded combat. Endless mako hillclimbing. Yeah the writing is still great. Squadmates didn't mean shit when all their powers were recharging useless in combat especially on higher difficulties. Inventory could have been done better. Its a tough pill to swallow these days.

subversus

GTFO! Enjoy your long elavator rides. Borderline retarded combat. Endless mako hillclimbing. Yeah the writing is still great. Squadmates didn't mean shit when all their powers were recharging useless in combat especially on higher difficulties. Inventory could have been done better. Its a tough pill to swallow these days.

ugh. it has become as simplistic as it gets. Most dialogues are finished with 2-3 dialogue choices. Sentences are short and simple. Characters make their point VERY clear so all dumb people could get them. And I just had 5 dialogue choices in a conversation about the view on the Citadel. GTFO yourself.

technical issues aside it's still feels like a better game.

Gui_PT

I do agree that the combat is rather stiff and not as enjoyable as in the other games.

But ME1 beats ME2/3 in everything else.

Edit: Inventory 150 item limit is annoying

Gui_PT

I dont even understand why it has caught.on as much as it.has.

Because it's good?

It's well done despite a few glitches.
Powers and weapons are awesome. And it's cool to get a party of 4 started, using certain characters to combine powers and deal with the enemy.

tier-list-jpg.5066

GTFO! Enjoy your long elavator rides.
I will, since they introduce sidequests from listening to the news on those rides as well as hearing how my actions are having an impact on the world at large while not breaking the atmosphere with a flashy loading screen gif.

Borderline retarded combat.
I like not running around an empty room looking for ammo that was forcefully explained into existence.
I will miss biotic charge, though...

Endless mako hillclimbing.
My favorite part of ME1!

Yeah the writing is still great. Squadmates didn't mean shit when all their powers were recharging useless in combat especially on higher difficulties. Inventory could have been done better. Its a tough pill to swallow these days.
I've enjoyed it since I bought it, but okay.
Except inventory, that still blows, but it's a non-issue once you have played it through once because you're almost guaranteed to have everything you could want.

Rodhull

How is ME1 on insanity compared to the other 2? Quite tempted to give it a try but with the combat being so much worse I'm not sure if it'll be too frustrating. Also what class is
recommended for it. I've only played through on Normal as a Soldier and Biotic.

Snookie

So i've let the dust settle now, and honestly this game/series has kinda killed gaming for me. Its hard to explain but i just have no motivation to play anything right now. I'm pretty close to the end of skyward sword(i stopped playing it when I got me3 at launch) but everytime I sit down to play it I always get that why bother feeling. I just want to sell all my collectors edition stuff and get it out of my house.

How is ME1 on insanity compared to the other 2? Quite tempted to give it a try but with the combat being so much worse I'm not sure if it'll be too frustrating. Also what class is
recommended for it. I've only played through on Normal as a Soldier and Biotic.

I played through it on insanity with soldier on a completed profile. Its very annoying when every enemy is able to use that stupid ability that lets them regen health rapidly like krogans. Toxic mods are a must. Other than that, it was still pretty easy.

Montresor

Did you ever play ME2 Arrival? You know what happens to a local system that has a Mass relay in it explode right?

Did you have an issue with what happened to your alien comrades (who traveled to the Sol system via the Mass Relays)...?

Did you bring peace to the Qurian/Geth conflict?

Agreed. Yes I did play ME2 but I didn't realize until now that billions of people died as a result of all those mass relay explosions. FYI, I agree now that the ending is dumb.

You love deus ex machina's in your stories? What's the point of reading a book or watching a movie if the only important thing that matters is at the very end? Also, what emotional connection was there between Shepard and the human child? Did he know his name? Facebook friends? Tell me.

I'll admit that any attempt the game made to project an emotional connection between the kid and Shepard was really weak. However, are you going to forget that Shepard was having fits about the kid throughout the game? He had those silly dreams in which he chased the kid, trying to save him, only to see him burn in flames. Whether Shepard should legitimately care about the kid, it can't be denied that he does care, however poorly it was executed.

And anyway, I don't generally like deus ex machinas. I just like the idea of that godlike character, like the space kid, gracing the main character with its presence. But he didn't come out of nowhere to save the day. All of his solutions required the Crucible, which Shepard moves mountains in order to complete. I don't see the kid as a deus ex machina - he's there just to tell Shepard how to use the Crucible. He nudges Shepard towards an ending, but that is a miniscule contribution compared to what it took to build the Crucible in the first place.

Did you have a problem with the sudden thematic shift (synthetics vs. organics) or the Reaper's motivations (synthetics killing organics to protect organics from creating synthetics that would destroy organics)?

And this:

didn't happen in DXHR. You aren't shown vivid detail of the consequences of your actions. You aren't even told.
Jensen just rambles on philosophically while stock footage plays
. Although the endings in DXHR were a problem, they at least made sense thematically

I had no problem with the thematic shift.

And regarding DXHR, my bad. I remembered that incorrectly! But at least (slight Deus Ex spoilers)
there is a prompt that indicates the title of each ending before you flick the "ending" switch

theDeeDubs

Just finished last night and loved most of it. I've 1k'd all three so I feel I definitely devoted enough time into each. My feelings on this are based on all three games played at Insanity with squad powers set to manual. I thought the combat in 1 was mostly awful so it will be ignored in regards to gameplay comparisons, although stylistically it had its pros and cons. That being said I feel most everything was improved from 2:

Your squadmates weren't braindead and didn't need quite as much babysitting. I didn't like the removal of full health regen because I'm an item hoarder and hated the thought of using health packs to top off my health. After I realized the packs were plentiful and you were able to revive squadmates without consuming one I adjusted. The decision between facing the risk of running over to revive someone to conserve a pack or using it from the safety of cover was a welcome addition.

I enjoyed most of the new enemies. The Banshees were very cool and even more terrifying after finding out their origin (I encountered them in MP first). Having to fight Cerberus really mixed it up too. Having two potential threats not only kept the fights from being monotonous over the course of a 30+ hour game but gave each area a more lived-in feel--as in it didn't feel like npcs were just standing there waiting for you. It felt like you were dropping out of a ship into a real contested warzone.

LOVED the dream sequences. I usually hate them, but these were powerful. This game definitely tugged at the heart, especially every scene involving Thane. It's sad that we get more character development in the "final" game than we do in the others. Seeing the loss of his friends take a toll on Shep made him less wooden and more sympathetic than in 1 & 2.

The variety in environments was great. I felt like I finally got to see the world in this one, which in turn made me actually want to save it. I wish all 27 missions were mandatory because I feel sorry for anyone that just mainquested this. ME1 was the biggest offender in this regard. 100%n that one made the environments feel more copy-n-paste than DA2 did.

I don't have strong feelings either way on the ending. I usually hate the end to most thing be it TV shows, movies, or games though. This was giving me major Matrix vibes and I half expected the Architect to be at the top of the Citadel elevator instead of the kid. I honestly didn't care too much about closure at that point though because the entire game felt like closure to me. Shep did his duty, said his goodbyes, and made his love. It was a cathartic tale of the life of a soldier and their highs of camaraderie and their lows of loss or the ever present threat of it.

As far as the future of Mass Effect... I want a Kai Leng spinoff. Let me be a badass biotic ninja please.

Saw an interesting comic earlier today where it showed F!Shepard hallucinating that her friends/squadmates were beside her as she blew up casper and the deus ex machina device.

Would have made the actual scene quite poignant if they had implemented something similar, even if the ending is still shit.

As far as the future of Mass Effect... I want a Kai Leng spinoff. Let me be a badass biotic ninja please.

You actually want to play someone straight out of a fucking cartoon? There's nothing badass about him in the games.

LOVED the dream sequences. I usually hate them, but these were powerful

I'd be interested in hearing why you think they're powerful and well-done. Slow motion and vent kid makes me detest them. The only good thing about them are the whispers from dead squadmates you can hear.

If they had shifted the focus away from the fucking kid onto your squad and ditched the slow motion, then it would have been so much better.

Actually, vent kid being immolated is another plus point of the dreams, though it doesn't make up for how bad they are

zkylon

zkylewd
actually at least half of those who bought the game finished ME2 (or slightly more - I don't remember for sure and I can't find this interview now) according to Bioware. That corresponds nicely to their figure of 54% who imported their saves in ME2. I think this figure won't change much for ME3. And most of these people ARE PISSED now. So no, these people are important to Bioware because there are a lot of them, they buy CEs and DLC and Mass Effect doesn't sell 10 million copies with each release to remain profitable in case of people giving up on the franchise.
Hmm, I don't consider myself to be a cynic, but history has shown, again and again, that people just buy anything. CoD's audience may be a lot less discerning than ME's, but I don't know. Maybe.

Delete them, play TW2, be glad for Poland. It's all we got left...

big ass image
That's pretty decent lol.

subversus

So i've let the dust settle now, and honestly this game/series has kinda killed gaming for me. Its hard to explain but i just have no motivation to play anything right now. I'm pretty close to the end of skyward sword(i stopped playing it when I got me3 at launch) but everytime I sit down to play it I always get that why bother feeling. I just want to sell all my collectors edition stuff and get it out of my house.

Play The Witcher 2.

flyover

Prequels are awful. Just awful. Even if they are better games. It's so creatively bankrupt. Move on.

Yeah, it's a stupid idea. I hate prequels -- in almost any medium. Such a lazy way out of having to come up with something new. There are a few exceptions, but very few.

Drakken

Yeah the writing is still great.

?

If you like super generic action movie dialogue, I guess. The writing in ME3 was frequently laughable, especially during cutscenes. Scenes that were supposed to carry some weight to them and show emotional connections between the characters typically fell flat for me.

Prequels are awful. Just awful. Even if they are better games. It's so creatively bankrupt. Move on.

I think the best term for it is "lazy." Also "safe."

Prequels can be good, even great (MGS3, for example), but there has to be a point to it, a way to make the past mean something for the overall development of the series. It shouldn't just be filling in the blanks (Peace Walker, for example).

?

If you like super generic action movie dialogue, I guess. The writing in ME3 was frequently laughable, especially during cutscenes. Scenes that were supposed to carry some weight to them and show emotional connections between the characters typically fell flat for me.

There were a couple of nice moments. However, yes, overall I felt the same way. There were many points in ME2 and even, say, Jade Empire, where I was genuinely stunned by the quality of the writing in dialog. Like, I can't believe I'm seeing this in a video game.

In ME3 most of it was pretty banal "war-time" banter. Also I literally laughed out loud at the whole "<stabs Kai Leng> That's for Thane" thing.

Rufus

Also I literally laughed out loud at the whole "<stabs Kai Leng> That's for Thane" thing.
I thought it was the best moment featuring Kai-Leng, but the set-up for it was so incredibly daft. There were similar problems with Thanes death. The set-up was just so stupid.

Rapstah

I thought it was the best moment featuring Kai-Leng, but the set-up for it was so incredibly daft. There were similar problems with Thanes death. The set-up was just so stupid.

Both your squad mates get really busy chatting with people over omni-tool instant messaging or looking out the window when Kai Leng clearly does not die. Bothersome cinematic.

Also, is Bring down the Sky now absolutely dead for download for everyone? Origin does not accept the universal key, the DLC button in the ME launcher brings you to Origin, and Origin does not have it listed. Deprecated?

Cutscene Incompetence at its finest.

The problem is that Thane's death could have been avoided by... pretty much anything. Like having Shepard shoot Leng. Or have Thane shoot Leng, instead of charging at the guy who has a melee weapon when you have a ranged weapon.

And just what are Shepard's team doing in both these instances?

Ranting about plot contrivances is so cathartic.

Randdalf

In any future Mass Effect game I want to play as a Krogan seeking vengeance, set during the period when Shepard was dead. To see all the stuff that happened in that period, that we never got to see.

still annoyed that BioWare have refused to change the ending

In any future Mass Effect game I want to play as a Krogan seeking vengeance, set during the period when Shepard was dead. To see all the stuff that happened in that period, that we never got to see.

This is exactly the kind of stuff I find immensely ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ-inducing and worthy maybe of a side game by some B-grade developer.

Rufus

The problem is that Thane's death could have been avoided by... pretty much anything. Like having Shepard shoot Leng. Or have Thane shoot Leng, instead of charging at the guy who has a melee weapon when you have a ranged weapon.

And just what are Shepard's team doing in both these instances?
He should have just pulled the trigger. He had the perfect opportunity, but being a master assassin he chose to style on the guy first... And then he forgets he's supposed to be good at this stuff and jumps at Leng. Basically turns his back to him in mid-air, too, when all the oh-so-dangerous Leng has to do to win is what? Stick out his sword in Thane's general direction. Come on... Not even a dirty trick on Lengs part to make us actually hate him instead of just being annoyed? Or even a coughing fit on Thane's part? No, he loses because he's an idiot all of a sudden.

Ranting about plot contrivances is so cathartic.
Indeed.

Top Bottom