• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us 2 Confirmed? (Linkedin Profile)

Ascenion

Some games and films don't need sequels regardless of how well they do or how much they are loved. This is one of those games. Any sequel will feel forced imo. This never felt like a game made with a sequel in mind, though it left the possibility open. I wouldn't do it.

Javin98

Banned
Hell yes! The Last Of Us was my GOTG and I would kill for a sequel. Unlike most people here, though, I want Ellie to return as the lead character, maybe with a few cameo appearances of Joel.

I hope it's not really named The Last of Us 2 (two) Sounds so stupid....

Maybe use The Last of Us Hunters or something.

Anyway what I want from the sequel:

What I want:

• new main characters
  • don't include Joel or Ellie as their story is done
  • but they can/should use Bill
  • new locations maybe set outside of US
  • infected animals
  • some flashbacks set in a time when outbreak began
  • more interactive story where we make some decisions
  • co-op/horde mode in MP

And a ZOO as one of the places we visit so we can see, well run from this:

original.jpg

EliCash

Next game should just be one person imo. I don't want to have another NPC ruining my immersion when they bump into enemies and not get spotted.

The most intense and fun gameplay sections of TLoU are when you're alone as just Joel or
Ellie

Examples:
- Hotel basement filled with infected
- University dorm with sleeping bloater and clickers
- Escaping from David and the cannibals
- Bossfight vs David
- Left behind DLC, searching for medicine for Joel

True from a gameplay perspective, but it's the character moments that the majority of people love The Last of Us for. Story wise it wouldn't be even nearly the same experience without both Joel & Ellie. Breaking of immersion might be a necessary evil for TLOU. I think there's a perfect mix. Also I feel that those moments you listed worked so well because you just wanted the safety of getting back to the norm ie. 2 characters, exploring in the daytime with no enemies. Thinking on it the pacing in the Last of Us is pretty pitch perfect.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I hope it's not really named The Last of Us 2 (two) Sounds so stupid....

My guess is that it will be called The Last of Us: Subtitle.

I think the subtitle will be fairly substantial and it will be what they want the game to be known as in general.

jett

D-Member
It's unfortunate that his had to happen for obvious financial reasons. I can only hope they leave Joel and Ellie alone. Those two characters deserve respite. If they go back to that well I think I will actually be pissed.

Next game should just be one person imo. I don't want to have another NPC ruining my immersion when they bump into enemies and not get spotted.

"Listening to Ellie and Joel banter while exploring" is one of the core pillars of The Last of Us. It's what allowed people to grow close to the characters and the scavenging / exploring would be quite dull without it.

Or... they are just way more pissed off. I would not count them off. ND could alwats showcase them in a different light, introduce true leader, someone who founded Fireflies in the beginning of the apocalypse. In TLOU they were just "some force out there", we never got a good look at them what they really are.

ok, so they are "pissed off". How on Earth are they going to find Joel? Joel literally killed the only person who knew him, Ellie and his brother.

We know what the Fireflies are. They are survivors who are pretty much just as ruthless as raiders, but they just hide that by their justification of it being for a "greater good". We saw what they do, they go around destabilizing the last bastions of humanity in the QZ zones for their own good and goal of restoring the old US government and democracy.

They are a joke, their whole ideal system is a decade out of date and the people grasping at those dreams are only grasping at those goals because it's their way to justify all they've done in the world they are in.

Jhotun

Neo Member
I really hope TLOU2 happens, but I do not want to see the same characters and nor the same situations. Hell, I want to see emotional and believable characters, even if they are in space, but I do not want to to feel like the story in TLOU is continued or paralel or similar.
Well, whatever ND throws at me I will chew it like a good boy :)

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
It's unfortunate that his had to happen for obvious financial reasons. I can only hope they leave Joel and Ellie alone. Those two characters deserve respite. If they go back to that well I think I will actually be pissed.
I think we'll see Ellie but no Joel.

Vashetti

Banned
Not gonna happen. Their story is over.

Whats more to tell?

I completely disagree. There's way more to tell.

No Joel and Ellie? No interest from me.

My interest in TLOU stems from Joel and Ellie, and I think many others will say the same.

DieH@rd

Banned
Their story is over. Druckmann has said that numerous times.

Ok, so 13 year old girl who had 1 year of intense training in incredibly dangerous post-apocalyptic world had only 1 adventure during her ENTIRE LIFE? Even though she possibly has cure for entire mankind and one big faction knows that.

I really don't believe that her story is done. I look at TLOU same as on Road Warrior. Road Warrior was truly truly awesome, but it got great continuation in Mad Max, and next year we will get another movie from original creator that has incredible potential.

ok, so they are "pissed off". How on Earth are they going to find Joel? Joel literally killed the only person who knew him, Ellie and his brother.

Tommy was ex-Firefly. They will focus on finding him, or someone who knows where he possibly is.

Rajang

Why are people so against the idea of a sequel? I'm dying for a game with the same atmosphere, storytelling, and gameplay as TLOU.

I agree.

Just not a story with Joel and Ellie. There's nothing more to tell. Their story ended perfectly. It's left open to interpertation though.
But it's kind of obvious that Ellie doesn't believe Joel. You can see it in her eyes. She isn't stupid, she knows when people bullshit her. And she isn't going to just accept that lie either.
Druckmann once spoke about honest writing and how important that was to him. He would never force a story like that.

Vashetti

Banned
We may not get Joel AND Ellie, but we will get Ellie in some capacity.

Druckmann says he sees TLOU (1) as Ellie's origin story, essentially the birth of a female action hero.

Rajang

"Listening to Ellie and Joel banter while exploring" is one of the core pillars of The Last of Us. It's what allowed people to grow close to the characters and the scavenging / exploring would be quite dull without it.

You're right.

But I was mostly looking at it from a gameplay perspective.

EGOMON

Joel dies at the very beginning because of infection (Ellie will deliver the finishing blow) she crys here eyes out and decided no more infected and set on a new journey.

P.s. Ellie in this game is grown up, Joel is an old man

EliCash

Joel dies at the very beginning because of infection (Ellie will deliver the finishing blow) she crys here eyes out and decided no more infected and set on a new journey.

See that's the Alien 3 route. And probably the greatest indication that a sequel isn't necessary; when that seems to be one of the only ways that they can continue with these characters (by killing one instantly).

Don't get me wrong, I'll buy it day one whatever it is.

I completely disagree. There's way more to tell.

No Joel and Ellie? No interest from me.

My interest in TLOU stems from Joel and Ellie, and I think many others will say the same.

There's certainly more to tell, but I'm not sure they need to tell it. But you're right, more Last of Us basically means wanting more Joel & Ellie. I guess I'm in that camp. I'm not sure what they can do with Joel though.

Anyway, I think there's no chance of there being a Last of Us 2 without Ellie.

Are you trying to write the most cliche thing ever?

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
The game should feature a new cast, for instance a mother and her daughter/son. In a European city.

Neiteio

I just finished my third playthrough, this time on the PS4 version.

I really hope they know what they're doing. Game feels perfectly complete as is.

KAL2006

Banned
It could be The Last of Us in a new setting, world and characters. Similar to Bioshock Infinite. Perhaps the last humans left in a alien take over.

One of the most critically praised games of the generation which has sold 8 million + and has a dedicated multiplayer community...there's like 0 reasons why a sequel should not have been green lit.

I would love for a sequel.

Top Bottom