• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Execs Respond to #PS4NoDRM Campaign (GAF namedropped)

"Microsoft is getting beaten up a lot on it," Keighley explained. "Sony, I think, has been seen as this kind of white knight so far that's not going to restrict used games. Based on some of the things I'm hearing, I don't think that's entirely true, because I can't see publishers allowing one system to do one thing and one do another."

That was it? That was what Keighley said? lol he knows fuck all about what Sony are doing, I thought it was at least a supposition based on talks with someone at Sony.

Not sure why the important pieces are not bolded:

"This is why I love PlayStation fans - the passion bucket overflows," Sony's head of hardware marketing John Koller wrote in response to the campaign.

"Humbled by the outpouring of passionate PlayStation fans and their willingness to talk to us directly," said SCEA producer Nick Accordino. "Please know that we hear you. <3"

"I love passionate #PlayStation Fans!!", Sony Worldwide Studios product boss Scott Rohde added.

This sounds good. Very good. I am pretty sure they are waiting for E3 to announce their strategy, it would just make a lot of sense.

Majine

Banned
They are not waiting for E3. It's not the kind of bulletpoint in an E3 presentation. Embrace your next-gen jail, people.

Heyt

Banned
Microsoft did not adress the subjet until the unveling of XBone was over, I expect Sony to evade the topic until E3 is over so the bad news don't get as much headlines as XBone did.

Clefargle

I think this is a long term misstep for any company to buy into, I hope neither goes on to implement in fully. If its only one console and not the others, I have the feeling that that one will suffer as the odd man out. On the other hand, if they both have it, the poor Wii Us position with publishers could get even worse as it could be viewed as a piracy platform. Christ, that would be fucked...

Don't forget that Microsoft will have their press conference before Sony! It makes even more sense to wait because of this. If they decide now to say that there is no DRM, than Microsoft is forced to do the same. If they wait until E3, Microsoft does not know what Sony will do. It's a pretty big tactical advantage.

Famassu

this is about money, now that i learned ms plans to keep a cut of "allowed" used game sales.

News flash, Sony isn't going to say no to money.
People said the same thing about Sony keeping online gaming free. And yes, they have, indeed, said no to money in that regards and invented the superior service in PS Plus.

drmb.png

Certinty

Well at least they replied instead of completely ignoring it.

E3 is going to be when we really find out though.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
They are not waiting for E3. It's not the kind of bulletpoint in an E3 presentation. Embrace your next-gen jail, people.

It's not a conference thing, no, but it's the type of thing they'll (hopefully) have to clarify once and for all in interviews at E3, though.

Ashes

Banned
Microsoft in the shit storm, and Sony not commenting. Doesn't look good for Sony fans.
If there is an actual boycotting campaign, the entire console under the TV industry will be in limbo, seeing how the wiiu has thus far failed to kick off.
Consumers don't like change. When it comes to physical real world goods, they buy books, DVDs, blurays, and don't see why games have to be the one that calls back home once a day.

I really hope Sony doesn't plan to follow MS/EA. but I have a feeling all these "We hear you" comments as nothing more than "We need to sugar coat our DRM strategy even better!" Aka finding a better lube for the shaft.

I doubt that Sony can ignore the big publishers demands here. It will be a question how draconic the anti-used policies will be. But I predict, they won't tell us anything for the next months. The negotiations will take that long.

If Sony is desperate enough to please the vocal minority that they are willing to toss 3rd parties under the bus then thats a problem.

I hope whatever they have is smarter and more friendly them Microsofts system. I think they know they have to be very careful about how they word everything do to with this subject.

Also they way every Sony employees response has the word "passionate" in it makes me think someone sent a internal memo around with approved responses or something.

Damn...lots of pessimists in this thread lol.

no Hope.

Like I said in the other thread...there is nothing wrong with trying...not matter how bleak it may be.

I am far to weak to say I'll boycott if they do (plus the effects aren't the end of the world in my case...still sucks royally tho) but imagine after all of this they still go in dry lol.

"oh we heard yall.....bite the pillow"

prag16

Banned
"We hear you. We're going to go away and word how we're going to fuck you over very carefully.

We're also very glad that Phil Harrison no longer works for us"

This is about what I got out of it.

Sony will probably in the end do something similar to MSFT, but end up getting a lot less flack for it.

If Sony is desperate enough to please the vocal minority that they are willing to toss 3rd parties under the bus then thats a problem.

I hope whatever they have is smarter and more friendly them Microsofts system. I think they know they have to be very careful about how they word everything do to with this subject.

Also they way every Sony employees response has the word "passionate" in it makes me think someone sent a internal memo around with approved responses or something.

They are not throwing 3rd parties under the bus, what a ridiculous statement. Does Sony's current policy throw 3rd parties under the bus? Because ideally it wouldn't change.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Their continued silence is troubling.

Not really. There's no way in hell they'd say anything, one way or another, before E3.

If they're employing DRM, then they're taking time to carefully announce it at E3. If they're not, they have no reason to give up all this free publicity and come out as heroes on stage right next to Microsoft at E3.

UberTag

I doubt that Sony can ignore the big publishers demands here.
Isn't it hypocritical of big publishers to make demands of Microsoft and Sony on anti-consumer restrictions for their next-gen platforms while continuing to release software... not just generic software but the VERY SAME GAMES... on platforms where those same restrictions don't exist (X360, PS3, PC)?

KLonso

Just a note to anyone planning to switch to PC games if both consoles have used game fees, trading games in on PC isn't exactly an option.

Carl

Why is the silence unsettling? They're not going to come out and say "Hey guys yeah, we're not having DRM, thx 4 the tweets"

E3 is less than 2 weeks away. They'll address it in media interviews.

sublimit

Banned

What hardcore?My friend is a total casual gamer and yesterday that we had this discussion he told me that he would never buy a machine like Xbone even though he never buys used games.

And if one of the machines fails what the3rd party publishers will do then?Remain with a console that is flopping and ignore millions of potential customers on another?

Edit:Oh you replaced Hardcore with vocal minority.

It's been three months since the unveil. That's a ridiculously long 'long holiday weekend' by most standards :p

I get the fear and anger with the rumors and statements from MS, but Sony has been getting a seriously free ride all of this time. I wish I could believe that the tempest in a teacup for all of this would get someone to reconsider, but I don't. Publishers are the major beneficiary to how this works, so that's how you know who is really pushing for it. Shitting on MS is popular and funny because they say just enough to get themselves further into trouble with those that already have it out for them, but they haven't done anything yet and they aren't alone in getting these things made and implemented.

Gold_Loot

Those expecting answers so soon need to step back a moment and look at the big picture. This is something that can't be fixed in just a few days. IF Sony had a simular DRM practice in place with agreements from 3rd parties to support it, they would need to re-write as well as communicate with 3rd party publishers on ways to losten it's grip or simply get thier blessing to have it scraped entirely. Doing the latter would likely require ALL publishers agreeing to having DRM terminated.

In short, this is something that's going to take a little bit of time and a lot of gab. For now, let's keep making positive civil noise on twitter and forums. Hopfully Sony (as well as MS) and publishers can stop, see the trouble these policies can cause us the consumer, and find smarter less intrusive ways to combat the second hand market.

Yeah ideally, they'd just wash their hands of it and say do you...

Sure a lot of the big guns will do this but what about the little guys? They don't have the manpower of he EAs of the world...

also since Sony has come out and said that there will be no online requirements (this statement wasn't as vauge as the used games one...they even mentioned other countries and clearly said that it could function without. Microsoft danced around this with :"It doesn't need online...but ti needs to be connected" and the 24 hour thing)..how would they even do it? Activation codes/Cd Keys? Then each used copy has to come with one to via the retailer or else you have to buy one?

That's what I am wondering...how do you restrict the used market without online?

Then why wait?

They've acknowledged the situation. I believe they are waiting for MS to finish squirming. No better time to reveal your hand than at the big stage of E3. All of the coverage will only make the announcement that much more dramatic. Could you imagine a no DRM announcement at E3. Gamers everywhere would rejoice. Pre-order overload

Isn't it hypocritical of big publishers to make demands of Microsoft and Sony on anti-consumer restrictions for their next-gen platforms while continuing to release software... not just generic software but the VERY SAME GAMES... on platforms where those same restrictions don't exist (X360, PS3, PC)?

But how long will they really do this? Of course they can't ignore the huge install base for the holiday business, but after that? They will try to sell their generic blockbusters for next-gen without the unpleasant used market. And this anti-consumer shit will work, I'm afraid. Sad times ahead...

Delryk

DRM is coming to PS4 too and that cant be escaped. This was probably discussed with MS, Sony and 3rd parties awhile back. Yes, competitors talk to eachother, some things need to be standarized, and this would be a major one. MS might as well wanted to clear the air now and Sony took the "we'll say nothing until last minute" approach. Anything is possible.

Marleyman

Banned
I get the fear and anger with the rumors and statements from MS, but Sony has been getting a seriously free ride all of this time.

Probably the easiest ride ever considering what MS has gotten since the 21st. 3 months of no threads, only positive talk. Even after MS announced what they did, you would think some would put 2 and 2 together but even then they were talking about how Sony is the console they are choosing because they are focused on the gamer. It has been mind boggling to watch.

Top Bottom