• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

libertytoast

Neo Member
Looking through all the launch games, in my opinion many are asking for too much.

I gladly pay full price for any game I'm interested in, usually buy all games day one, and have never complained about prices vs. game length (or genre) but this is the first time that I feel some developers are blatantly trying to take advantage of us. Since we're buying an extremely pricey platform they think we'll happily pay premium prices for what are essentially make-shift proof of concept experiences with purchased assets mixed with programmer art. I'll no doubt have fun with them but it sure doesn't feel right.

Yeah. I plan on paying full price for The Gallery and Audioshield, whatever it may be. Unfortunately a lot of the games I'm interested in with the pricing announced (Brookhaven Experiement, #SelfieTennis, Windlands) are asking $20 for something that looks too bare bones to justify the price.

Zalusithix

Sure. But there are always going to be games that have complex interactions that may not have a physical equivalent, such as passing commands to AI squad mates, or in a time senstive strategy game, or quick shortcuts in an editor like UE4 or Dreams. There's always a place for hybrid solutions that are more efficient than solely relying on holographic selections.

Holographic selections are lays a great replacement for 2d menus, but they aren't always the best replacement for good ol' buttons
I'm not saying buttons are useless. I'm saying we should avoid them as much as possible. Squad mate orders for instance. I'd say voice commands might actually come into their own there. After all, every headset has a built in mic. Even without naming NPCs, you could just look at them and speak naturally and they could be contextually aware that you're speaking to them. There's just so much possibility that VR affords that should be tapped before falling back on ye ol buttons.

viveks86

I'm not saying buttons are useless. I'm saying we should avoid them as much as possible. Squad mate orders for instance. I'd say voice commands might actually come into their own there. After all, every headset has a built in mic. Even without naming NPCs, you could just look at them and speak naturally and they could be contextually aware that you're speaking to them. There's just so much possibility that VR affords that should be tapped before falling back on ye ol buttons.

Agreed

Compsiox

Banned
Are the cables between the PC and breakout box just standard HDMI and USB 3? Depending how long they are I might want to swap them out with longer ones, thinking to attach the breakout box under the edge of my desk so that it is (1) more discreet, and (2) any tugging won't get passed on to the PC

lzSIG4t.jpg
j

IMACOMPUTA

We are in this shitty Chicago boat together.
I just called FedEx to see if there was anything headed my way and they said no.

VR sux.

Jk omg I can't wait plz arrive tomorrow somehow.

Anyone in the Midwest get delivery confirmation?

Chicago here. Charge still pending since Thursday. No updates in email or on Fedex Delivery Manager.

I'm sad. ;_;

Yes, they are. Tomorrow.

taco543

I still haven't gotten any email from htc, valve, digital river, or anything else.

I'm ready to Jack in damnit!!
M0eFDXu.gif

PolishQ

Oooh! I got a FedEx shipment notification of a 20lb package for Wednesday before 8pm!

No email from HTC yet.

I'm one of the people whose authorization charge appeared last week, remained for a few days, and then disappeared. Guess it all worked out!

Rochester, NY here.

Some Vive touchpad criticism here:

Are these the same trackpads on the steam controller? And is there any confirmation on whether they are configurable like the steam controller?

Since the person who wrote the review is a self proclaimed non gamer I'm just going to chalk this up to not having enough time to acclimate to the controller. I recently got into PC gaming and built my first rig and it took me about a week to get used to using a mouse accurately again, let alone being comfortable with using it, coming from using game pad exclusively for many years.

Arulan

Almost 5 pm, my payment is still pending, no shipping email

Fuck

If you're not signed up for Fed Ex delivery manager try giving them (Fed Ex) a call. That's what I had to do, and they confirmed it had shipped. I still haven't received an email from HTC.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
cheers. Weird USB cable with the same connector on each end. Didn't even know you could buy them. How long is the cable you get from the PC to breakout box? Think I'm going to Velcro it to the underside of my desk

Finally worked out my room too (I think). Probably need some padding for some wall edges, similar to this https://www.safehomeproducts.com/shp2/product/four-4-pieces-of-pole-padding-tan-48-in-lengths/padding-corner-edge-pole/pole-protector-posts/159400/159400.aspx

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
I've gone ahead and canceled my May order (Just ordered it the other day after Rage-canceling my Rift) and put in another order with Paypal. It seems that is the easiest and safest way to do this.

taco543

cheers. Weird USB cable with the same connector on each end. Didn't even know you could buy them. How long is the cable you get from the PC to breakout box? Think I'm going to Velcro it to the underside of my desk

Finally worked out my room too (I think).
Not a bad idea.... Hmm...

I don't know how to reiterate this more strongly. Everyone should do TheBlu: encounter as their first VR Vive experience. Everyone. OP should have it in OP as huge banner linking to the free experience. Instead it's not even mentioned.

This isn't even a thing to argue. Yes yes all the other programs are great to play and use forever. But your first experience? 100% should be TheBlu.

Shoyz

I hope they're gonna be shipping these all night long. I ordered 2 minutes in and live within hours of the warehouse, and seeing people in CA get their Vives today when I have no tracking yet is really starting to sting. Wish it was first come first serve.

That tinge of hope that it could somehow ship today and arrive tomorrow..

Have they announced a price for Modbox? Is there a list of prices anywhere?

Cartman86

Banned
From the Destructoid review.
As well as barrier walls appearing at the edges of your safe movement space, you can at any time look out the headset video camera to get a feel for where you are in your room. You can also, with varying success, set the headset camera to assess physical objects in the room and add them to your world as laser grid outlines.

Is this the thing that was mentioned a little while ago by a dev that Valve had added but turned off? Curious if they are actually going to enable this in final software. Seems like one of those features that compared to everything else they are doing won't "just work". Would obviously be useful for animals or children who walk into the space.

Arulan

I don't know how to reiterate this more strongly. Everyone should do TheBlu: encounter as their first VR Vive experience. Everyone. OP should have it in OP as huge banner linking to the free experience. Instead it's not even mentioned.

This isn't even a thing to argue. Yes yes all the other programs are great to play and use forever. But your first experience? 100% should be TheBlu.

It happened to be my first VR experience when I tried the Vive for the first time in Toronto last year.

Deadstar

Has anyone made a matrix mod where you lie down on the bed and when you open your eyes you are on the Nebuchadnezzar? I'd also like a mod where you walk through a crowd like in the Matrix test.

Added to my personal list! I see it's available tomorrow, will it be free? Why do you think it should be the first experience?

Krejlooc

Banned
Whoa hey, just got mine too (Austin)! I guess you weren't signed up for the FedEx thing, because I got that notification hours ago.
I've been signed up for Fed ex notifications since dk1, I get them all the time.

The htc email beat fedex. I still dont have my fedex notification. And the payment is still pending. But I have an official shipping notice from htc.

got to try the brookhaven experiment demo for like 10 min but had to stop cause I was getting too scared. I know it's just a game but damn. I legit have chills and goosebumps all over.

anyways, the controllers are so damn amazing, just so intuitive to use. being able to move my arms around freely takes getting used to coming from a dk2 and an xbox 360 controller lol. cant wait for all of the software to unlock tomorrow!

I've been signed up for Fed ex notifications since dk1, I get them all the time.

The htc email beat fedex. I still dont have my fedex notification. And the payment is still pending. But I have an official shipping notice from htc.

That's kinda weird. Is the shipping address on the HTC email correct? I ask because I've read a couple of people had to correct their addresses that somehow got changed.

Come on guys alot of you are getting yours this week and think you have it hard. Just feel bad for us may shipments. (I changed from oculus to vive about a month ago). The only thing that keeps me going is impressions.

I'm in NM, order confirmation from :01 after pre-orders went up, signed up for the FedEx stuff, payment stuff was all fine, and still nothing on the shipping front. I can see the logic behind them shipping based on how far you are from the distribution center, but fuck if it isn't annoying to see a bunch of people saying they have shipping notifications when they are in states all around you. Crossing my fingers that mine also ships tonight but it's definitely discouraging.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom