• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fate/Grand Order |OT| That's Hell You're Walking Into

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sciel

After what I experienced, spending money on this game would be completely insane to me outside of the paid guaranteed 5*. I say this as someone who has been bilked out of a couple hundred by Fire Emblem Heroes, at least I felt like I had a chance there.
I've probably spent similar amounts on FE:H, I don't really mind spending there because even if I don't get the units I want, i still get fodder/good upgrade able 4*. Orbs are a little more reasonably priced as well.

The problem with FGO's gatcha and why I'm done with it (I've whaled during gilgamesh event) is that you get jackshit most of the time. You either have to have EX-rank luck or be the moby dick of all whales. Its either you get something good, or get close to nothing, There's nothing in between.

51 tickets and 60 Quartz:

Servants
Martha
Atalante
Tamamo... Cat x2
Lancelot

Essences:
5* Little Halloween Devil
5* Limited Zero/Over x2
5* Victor of the Moon
4* Imaginary Around x2
4* Projection x2
4* Halloween Arrangement
A few other not so useful 4*

I guess rate up is a lie? Overall, definitely above average going by rates, but missing that Tamamo. 300 quartz left to pull later.

Nabae

Unconfirmed Member
I am legit surprised that the percentages weren't increased for the western version. That's what Bamco usually for their games.
Oh, is that the norm for Bamco? The only mobile game I play from them is OPTC, and Global players were recently infuriated to get confirmation that percentages were actually decreased compared to the Japanese version.

Quonny

I've probably spent similar amounts on FE:H, I don't really mind spending there because even if I don't get the units I want, i still get fodder/good upgrade able 4*. Orbs are a little more reasonably priced as well.

The problem with FGO's gatcha and why I'm done with it (I've whaled during gilgamesh event) is that you get jackshit most of the time. You either have to have EX-rank luck or be the moby dick of all whales. Its either something good, or get close to nothing.
I mean, this isn't true unless it's for a specific servant without event CE. Limited, event CE are pretty common in the gacha. You'll likely get at least a 4* if not a 5* event CE from it if you do a couple 10 rolls.

Of course, you can be super unlucky and not get anything, but I don't think 'getting nothing most of the time' is accurate. I don't know why you'd ever roll outside of an event, hoping just for the 0.6% servant. Seems like a fool's errand. Hope for CE, pray for servants.

sonicmj1

Spent a 30-quartz roll and 3 tickets, and got an event CE and a Carmilla. Not amazing, but it's good to have a better Assassin to replace Stheno. Might roll a bit more in the FP gacha later or use a few tickets, but I don't think I'll spend more quartz.

The nicer thing is that I got Halloween Princess to drop from one of the story quests (last stage of the Carmilla one, I think), so I don't have to farm for it later.

kewlmyc

Oh, is that the norm for Bamco? The only mobile game I play from them is OPTC, and Global players were recently infuriated to get confirmation that percentages were actually decreased compared to the Japanese version.

They do for Tales of Link and I think the Digimon and SAO mobile games too. From like 3% to 6% and now 10%.

What? Why the everloving hell would they do that

Sciel

I mean, this isn't true unless it's for a specific servant without event CE. Limited, event CE are pretty common in the gacha. You'll likely get at least a 4* if not a 5* event CE from it if you do a couple 10 rolls.

Of course, you can be super unlucky and not get anything, but I don't think 'getting nothing most of the time' is accurate. I don't know why you'd ever roll outside of an event or something. Hope for CE, pray for servants.
For me, getting something means getting a 4*/5* servant, not a CE (outside of a handful, most of the current 4*s are rubbish anyways).

I did 7 10 Pulls earlier, got like 6 4* Halloween CEs. Sure, the art is nice and all and i can limit break them, but do i feel like I got anywhere near my quartz worth? Nope.

Pejo

So what are the optimal supports with CEs that I should set for this event? Zerkers + pumpkin bonus CEs? Riders for fighting casters?

Mupod

Thanks a ton to KMRiku for hooking me up. It sucks having to restart, but I can bequeath my old account to a friend who lost his to anti-emulator shenanigans a while back. That said...I kind of want to find a secondary device to try the last few rolls/tickets I'll get during the event before I give it to him. Emulators are still broken these days right?

Anyways, I really don't have the free time for rerolling so this is a huge help. I'll rebuild my friends list when I can.

The problem with FGO's gatcha and why I'm done with it (I've whaled during gilgamesh event) is that you get jackshit most of the time. You either have to have EX-rank luck or be the moby dick of all whales. Its either you get something good, or get close to nothing, There's nothing in between.

yeah exactly. I got 17 Subakis when trying and failing for Ninian during her first banner. I was incredibly salty at the time...but you know what? I am out of Subakis now because he's so good as skill fodder. Can't say the same about what happened on my Tamamo hunt...I took a screenshot before I combined some but I got something like 14 of the 4* Halloween CE. Edit: it was 13. Jesus christ.

convo

So the best i got from 170+ quartz
DOzONEN.jpg
I can NP2 my Emiya and i guess i got nothing to complain about with a Jeanne spook?

Moonlight

Banned
Is there a really optimal way of doing things? Right now I'm running 40 AP with pumpkin and sweet candy CEs but I can't help but wonder if I'm not playing this correctly.

Also, which node drops the most caster gems? Need a bunch for Tamamo and Waver.

Also realized I don't have enough hearts for Tamamo's final ascension. Feels bad, lol.

Is there a really optimal way of doing things? Right now I'm running 40 AP with pumpkin and sweet candy CEs but I can't help but wonder if I'm not playing this correctly.

The most efficient way to farm Caster Gems remains the Friday Dailies.

I didn't have much, but I did a 10 roll and a single ticket. I only got the 4* Mash CE and yet another Illya Verdant thing CE. I didn't get Medea Lily in the previous banner either.

I think Orion from a single pull consumed all of my luck this year.

Also realized I don't have enough hearts for Tamamo's final ascension. Feels bad, lol.
G&A reviews on youtube has a great guide video for the event. I'm also lacking hearts for tamamo but gudaguda will have us covered.

Mupod

Rebuilding my friends list. New friend code is 818 099 662. When I'm home I'll try to send some out to gaffers I had on the old account (username Mu). I'm level garbage right now but I'll catch up quick and I'll be focusing on Tamamo. Could use a high level Vlad, Waver, Jeanne.

Gotta add my other account to this one somehow, lol. It has four 5* Halloween CEs equipped on supports.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
G&A reviews on youtube has a great guide video for the event. I'm also lacking hearts for tamamo but gudaguda will have us covered.

Do you have a link for that channel

Rebuilding my friends list. New friend code is 818 099 662. When I'm home I'll try to send some out to gaffers I had on the old account (username Mu). I'm level garbage right now but I'll catch up quick and I'll be focusing on Tamamo. Could use a high level Vlad, Waver, Jeanne.

Gotta add my other account to this one somehow, lol. It has four 5* Halloween CEs equipped on supports.

I sent you a request.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Did a few 10 pulls and tickets, got Altera, an Atalante, another Tamamo Cat, a couple Euryales/Davids/Hektors, and a bunch of event CEs (a Devil, a ton of Arrangements, and a few Jack O Lanterns).

At least it wasn't Altria again.

RSchmitz

I'm thinkink if I should level Waver's skills or ascend Hans.
I probably won't use Hans for a long time, never did actually, but it would be cool to have him ready just in case.
Waver skills, even if less valuable than an ascension, would be used every single quest though.

Heard it is more Ap efficient if you only want there CE.
So you want nothing from the event shop? If you were to concentrate on the 30AP quest instead you'd most likely get one CE to drop and could buy the remaining four from the shop. If push comes to shove you could always use some apples. But wasting all these event currencys is a bad idea imo.
I'm thinkink if I should level Waver's skills or ascend Hans.
I probably won't use Hans for a long time, never did actually, but it would be cool to have him ready just in case.
Waver skills, even if less valuable than an ascension, would be used every single quest though.
I would go with Waver's skills. It'll be quite a while for content to arrive that would benefit from using Waver and Hans. Unless you would like to use him now just to mix things up a bit (high level Waver skills aren't really neccessary right now either).

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
So you want nothing from the event shop? If you were to concentrate on the 30AP quest instead you'd most likely get one CE to drop and could buy the remaining four from the shop. If push comes to shove you could always use some apples. But wasting all these event currencys is a bad idea imo.

He's probably referencing that Youtube vid stating 40 AP's the most efficient place to farm after you farm the 30 AP for the one CE drop.

EDarkness

I decided to do a 10 pull since it made sense to try for Carmilla, but I ended up with the worst pull I've ever had in this game. Ugh. It just takes me out of the game totally and I want to quit. The pull rates are the worst and getting shitty crafting essences is terrible. A total waste of time and all the saving I've done recently to amass 30 SQ. Since I've been playing this game, I've had the shittiest luck. I can't even build up my Emiya anymore since I need gold stone things and I haven't been able to get any for a couple of weeks now. Not sure what to do with this game now. I'm just so frustrated.

Nabae

Unconfirmed Member
Huh, I didn't know story Vlad could drop that CE. That's certainly an efficient way of approaching it if max limit breaking Halloween Princess is a high priority.

I'm glad events have some story to them.
Kiyohime too cute, I'm going to max ascend her even though I'm already set with Heracles and Tamamo Cat.

I decided to do a 10 pull since it made sense to try for Carmilla, but I ended up with the worst pull I've ever had in this game. Ugh. It just takes me out of the game totally and I want to quit. The pull rates are the worst and getting shitty crafting essences is terrible. A total waste of time and all the saving I've done recently to amass 30 SQ. Since I've been playing this game, I've had the shittiest luck. I can't even build up my Emiya anymore since I need gold stone things and I haven't been able to get any for a couple of weeks now. Not sure what to do with this game now. I'm just so frustrated.
Come now, it's just a game, try not to let it bother you that much. Though if your enjoyment mostly hinges on getting the best servants from the gacha and you're not obsessed with the Fate franchise, I think it'd be wiser to focus on another gacha game instead.

A lot of my servants haven't received their 2nd or 3rd ascensions yet. Do keep in mind that there's no need to feel rushed in a single player game. Most of the content is pretty easy to clear for now and the mats you need will be in future event shops if dailies/story grind isn't working out.

Quonny

If you're to the point where you're playing for the pulls and not the game/story itself, it might be time to quit.

It's a dangerous path to walk being so invested in the gacha systems.

Great. Just what I wanted. Another Saber. Sumanai. Between Altria, two Saber Alters, d'Eon, Nero, Siegfried and a mountain of Gilles, I'm convinced the game is hell-bent on giving me Sabers.

Actually I wanted Siegfried so I'm kind of happy. He's no Tamamo, though.

100+ quartz and a handful of summon tickets gone. No Tamamo. Time to start saving for Scathach and Iskander...

EDarkness

Come now, it's just a game, try not to let it bother you that much. Though if your enjoyment mostly hinges on getting the best servants from the gacha and you're not obsessed with the Fate franchise, I think it'd be wiser to focus on another gacha game instead.

A lot of my servants haven't received their 2nd or 3rd ascensions yet. Do keep in mind that there's no need to feel rushed in a single player game. Most of the content is pretty easy to clear for now and the mats you need will be in future event shops if dailies/story grind isn't working out.

It's getting harder to do anything in the game since I feel like I don't have a good enough spread of decent characters. I rely constantly on friend units to pull my guys through and I guess the enjoyment of the game is getting a decent character and leveling them up by doing the daily fights. The guys I have are almost capped out again and I'll be in the same point I was a couple of days ago with nothing to level up and nothing left to do except wait for another servant drop. I've done the different Singularities and I'm working through the Halloween one now, but I feel like I want a new project to play with and I can't get one. The act of pulling for character shouldn't be this annoying and worthless. I've played many other games and they're not this bad.

I want to try to stick it out, but it's getting harder and harder to do so. I don't need the best servants. I'm surprised I even got Zhuge (though, I don't see what's so special about him, honestly, but I have three decent characters and that's it. A whole lot of crappy 1 or 2 star characters that aren't worth messing with since they can't survive really tough fights and I don't feel like the damage they do justifies the trouble of leveling them up a whole lot. Looking at other people's friend units, I guess other folks feel the same way. I don't need 5* units since it's such a pain in the ass to get them, but another decent 4* unit that isn't a saber would be nice. I tried messing around with Mash, but since she's a story unit her growth is really crappy and she can't really keep up with other units.

The game just doesn't throw people enough bones to keep everything interesting...especially for those who are unlucky in pulling characters. At least that's how I feel right now. I'm not saying that I haven't gotten some enjoyment out of the game. I don't like the story, but some of the fights have been interesting and I do enjoy doing the daily quests, though now I have so many of the green blocks that I have nothing to use them on since summon tickets are limited per month (which sucks...with the shitty drop rates they shouldn't have a problem with folks pulling more often).

I don't know, man. I'm just frustrated right now. Ugh.

Did 3 10 pulls and got a shit tons of alexander, a second Jannu and Carmilla. I even bought 36 SQ for tamamo but still.

I got some questions:

1- The best way to farm is getting all the shop CE and then farm again to get the mats + statues right? (I dont really care much about Elizabeth caster)

2- Which mission is the best to farm to get the CE?

3- After that, which mission is the best to get mats/statues?

4- How long is gonna be Tamamo on the gatcha?

Thanks

B.O.O.M

I only have one 5 star drop (either essence or character), since I started this. The drop rates are honestly bumming me out on the game. Probably going to stop playing outside of short bursts once in a while. Doesn't feel rewarding anymore personally.

edit: I'm basically done with the single player stuff btw. Just have that final boss in the Okeanos left

It's getting harder to do anything in the game since I feel like I don't have a good enough spread of decent characters. I rely constantly on friend units to pull my guys through and I guess the enjoyment of the game is getting a decent character and leveling them up by doing the daily fights. The guys I have are almost capped out again and I'll be in the same point I was a couple of days ago with nothing to level up and nothing left to do except wait for another servant drop. I've done the different Singularities and I'm working through the Halloween one now, but I feel like I want a new project to play with and I can't get one. The act of pulling for character shouldn't be this annoying and worthless. I've played many other games and they're not this bad.

I want to try to stick it out, but it's getting harder and harder to do so. I don't need the best servants. I'm surprised I even got Zhuge (though, I don't see what's so special about him, honestly, but I have three decent characters and that's it. A whole lot of crappy 1 or 2 star characters that aren't worth messing with since they can't survive really tough fights and I don't feel like the damage they do justifies the trouble of leveling them up a whole lot. Looking at other people's friend units, I guess other folks feel the same way. I don't need 5* units since it's such a pain in the ass to get them, but another decent 4* unit that isn't a saber would be nice. I tried messing around with Mash, but since she's a story unit her growth is really crappy and she can't really keep up with other units.

The game just doesn't throw people enough bones to keep everything interesting...especially for those who are unlucky in pulling characters. At least that's how I feel right now. I'm not saying that I haven't gotten some enjoyment out of the game. I don't like the story, but some of the fights have been interesting and I do enjoy doing the daily quests, though now I have so many of the green blocks that I have nothing to use them on since summon tickets are limited per month (which sucks...with the shitty drop rates they shouldn't have a problem with folks pulling more often).

The free 4 star welfare units are some of the best in the game

Nabae

Unconfirmed Member
It's getting harder to do anything in the game since I feel like I don't have a good enough spread of decent characters. I rely constantly on friend units to pull my guys through and I guess the enjoyment of the game is getting a decent character and leveling them up by doing the daily fights. The guys I have are almost capped about again and I'll be in the same point with nothing to level up and nothing left to do except wait for another servant drop. I've done the different Singularities and I'm working through the Halloween one now, but I feel like I want a new project to play with and I can't get one. The act of pulling for character shouldn't be this annoying and worthless. I've played many other games and they're not this bad.

The tier list that puts Waver near the top is based on the JP version that's 2 years ahead, and while he's still an amazing support servant right now, the reason he's so highly regarded is because he really shines when fights get more drawn out, starting with
Camelot.
As Mash upgrades with the story, she'll also be amazing. The new appreciation for Jeanne D'Arc with challenge quests aside, there are plenty of folks who place upgraded Mash above Jeanne for general content, since unlike Jeanne, Mash actually has good skills.

Caster Liz from the Halloween event is a great servant to work on, since she's currently the best offensive caster right now, and is still a great servant to have even when better ones come. She won't even compete with Waver for ascension mats, since she uses special candy from the event shop to ascend. Next month we get the amazing Nobunaga (4* Archer), and December we'll get Santa Alter (4* Rider). Later next year we'll get some overpowered boss killer welfare servants. Progression in general is slower compared to some other gacha games, but FGO is a relatively chill game. With how quickly AP depletes, it doesn't expect you to treat it as a time sink.

EDarkness

The free 4 star welfare units are some of the best in the game

What free 4* units? I haven't gotten any of those from the game and I've been playing for a couple of months now. Not sure if I need another caster, but if/when I get Elizabeth, I'll level her up and work on her skills. A caster that does decent damage would be good to have, I think.

The tier list that puts Waver near the top is based on the JP version that's 2 years ahead, and while he's still an amazing support servant right now, the reason he's so highly regarded is because he really shines when fights get more drawn out, starting with
Camelot.
As Mash upgrades with the story, she'll also be amazing. The new appreciation for Jeanne D'Arc with challenge quests aside, there are plenty of folks who place upgraded Mash above Jeanne for general content, since unlike Jeanne, Mash actually has good skills.

Caster Liz from the Halloween event is a great servant to work on, since she's currently the best offensive caster right now, and is still a great servant to have even when better ones come. She won't even compete with Waver for ascension mats, since she uses special candy from the event shop to ascend. Next month we get the amazing Nobunaga (4* Archer), and December we'll get Santa Alter (4* Rider). Later next year we'll get some overpowered boss killer welfare servants. Progression in general is slower compared to some other gacha games, but FGO is a relatively chill game. With how quickly AP depletes, it doesn't expect you to treat it as a time sink.

I can see what you're saying, but Mash in my group dies pretty fast and does crappy damage. She's capped at 40 and has been for a while now. I keep her around a a backup in my group, but she just can't handle stuff like other characters can. If she's supposed to tank, then she doesn't do it very well at least in the content I'm in now. Ultimately, it doesn't matter. I did enjoy building her up and I'll continue to do so.

My problem really with the game is that with what we're allowed to do, the drop rates are terrible and with the number of units that can/should be leveled up it's so hard to actually do so. Now, I understand that not all servants should be leveled to the absolute max, but it's hard to even get one to that level, let alone two. If you want to keep playing, eventually you'll hit a wall even if you're only playing a short amount of time per day. I personally place one session a day and generally until I run out of AP (even if I level up, I stop playing and hold that energy until the next time I play), but I don't feel like I can make much progress in what time I devote to the game. It just doesn't let you do that. The grind is serious and severe with drop rates that are atrocious. I tried to grind out some gold stones to level up Emiya when the Archer dailies were up and I didn't get 1 of them. Not 1. I dread to think of what it'll be like once I get Artoria Alter or Zhuge to their next level. When hitting that wall, what else is there to do? Level another servant until you hit that wall again with that character? Just seems like crappy design all around. I don't feel like I'm making progress and what little progress I am making hasn't made doing anything in the game much easier. I was hoping to at least get another servant to work on since I'll be at that dead end again very soon, but getting new units is hard and even the rate ups don't seem to mean anything if even getting a servant is difficult in the first place.

At least with other games, I felt like the little time I spent in it was fulfilling in some way. This game almost encourages the player not to even bother.

Grazzt

The first guerilla quest should show up at 22:00 utc (in one hour). Be sure to equip your Little Devil CE's / bring a support with it.
Ah thanks. Did another 10 pull and still no little devil ce, I’ll just rely on support.
Pumpkin head drop rate is horrible. Did 40 ap quest 4 times, only dropped once.

chrono01

I feel bad, this is the second event that I have to depend on my friends for their CE (I can never manage to pull the 5* CE with my gacha pulls).

I swear, I'll make it up to you all some day!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom