• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Speculation] Nintendo stopped 3DS development a long time ago, despite what they say

I'd be surprised if Nintendo continues with the 3DS due to the rampant piracy on the device and Nintendo's own actions that went against their words in the past in a similar situation.

I can't really speak about the general impression, but it did seem like a lot of people were/are running with the idea that the Switch will not replace the 3DS.

Were people actually saying the Switch and 3DS would coexist and be equally supported forever, or that Nintendo would hold onto the 3DS a little while longer before moving away from it completely (as they did with GBA and even OG DS)? To me it was obvious 3DS isn't a hot potato on the same level as Wii U but it was clearly not going to be taking up the majority of their resources, and that was the line of thinking that I saw a lot of other people subscribe to as well.

Tank Troopers is Vitei.

Thnx.

Were people actually saying the Switch and 3DS would coexist and be equally supported forever, or that Nintendo would hold onto the 3DS a little while longer before moving away from it completely (as they did with GBA and even OG DS)? To me it was obvious 3DS isn't a hot potato on the same level as Wii U but it was clearly not going to be taking up the majority of their resources, and that was the line of thinking that I saw a lot of other people subscribe to as well.

A lot of people thought the 3DS would get its own, separate successor from the Switch. This was backed up by a poor translation/interpretation of a comment made by Kimishima as well.

The OP doesn't necessarily prove that there won't be a separate 3DS successor, but it at least shows that all of Nintendo's internal developers are focusing on the Switch now, which sorta implies there won't be any separate system released.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
I'm not sure about 2017, but Fall 2016 was decently significant in Japan for the 3DS.

Miitiopia (in-house)
Animal Crossing: New Leaf - Welcome Amiibo (in-house w/ Eighting assisting mini-games)
Tank Troopers (in-house w/ Vitei)
Super Mario Maker for 3DS (US in-house studio)

Some people discount the fact that fist-party games that are largely outsourced still use budget and internal resources (producers, coordinators, technical artists, technical programmers,debuggers) from Nintendo.

Pokemon games developed by GameFreak usually tax Nintendo's localization programmers and server programmers for example.

Yeah, most of their teams are most likely on Switch.
People keep saying "3DS ain't dead yet!" But I don't see much that's particularly exciting.
Even IS that's making FE on 3DS are also making one for Switch out next year
Just hope that the 3DS winter boost last year didnt cause Nintendo to greenlight more game

LordKano

I'd be willing to bet that the next Pokemon is on 3DS only though.

It is? Haven't heard about this. Where is the decline showing?

Well, it sold 15 millions on both its first and second year, 13 millions on its third, 7 millions on its fourth, 5 millions on its fifth and 7 again on its sixth, thanks to Pokémon GO. I can only see it declining way more this year, with the lack of system-seller.

Yeah, most of their teams are most likely on Switch.
People keep saying "3DS ain't dead yet!" But I don't see much that's particularly exciting.
Even IS that's making FE on 3DS are also making one for Switch out next year
Just hope that the 3DS winter boost last year didnt cause Nintendo to greenlight more game

If anything it should have underscored to Nintendo how important it is to get a mainline Pokemon out on the Switch as soon as humanly possible. Especially if they want to catch some of that Pokemon GO success.

I'm still believing Stars is real and a Switch exclusive, it would do wonders for the platform this year.

When was the last time you could walk into a B&M and even see a 3ds sitting there? I haven't seen a 3ds in stores since the holidays.
I saw some Galaxy and standard color New 3DS XLs in stock at a local Fred Meyer (Kroger) but they still had a printed sign up saying only one per customer was allowed due to limited availability. Also spotted like 3 XLs at a Walmart. So they're finally starting to trickle in, however slowly.

I think you are right, OP. The fact that its only some associated 2nd parties and port teams releasing games on 3ds probably means the numerous internal teams are working on only Switch. Arms is MK team (but probably close enough to done that they are also working on MK9 or even a new IP potentially) , Splatoon 2 is AC team (but probably close enough to done that theyre working on a full AC Switch), Oddessey is allegedly done so theyre probably already prototyping out stuff for a new IP or new game in an existing franchise. Aonuma's team is working on something new most likely and just have a small squad on the BoTW DLC.

A lot of people thought the 3DS would get its own, separate successor from the Switch. This was backed up by a poor translation/interpretation of a comment made by Kimishima as well.

The OP doesn't necessarily prove that there won't be a separate 3DS successor, but it at least shows that all of Nintendo's internal developers are focusing on the Switch now, which sorta implies there won't be any separate system released.

Maybe my eyebrow is just being raised by the whole idea that Nintendo shifting focus away from the 3DS is some radical notion. There have been theories and speculation about things counter to that, but it's been an obvious conclusion to reach for a long time. Like people have been pointing out forever that there's not really a lot of AAA stuff coming out and that Nintendo's top developers had been silent for a long time (with most of those fruits being the stuff revealed at the Switch event).

If anything it should have underscored to Nintendo how important it is to get a mainline Pokemon out on the Switch as soon as humanly possible. Especially if they want to catch some of that Pokemon GO success.

I'm still believing Stars is real and a Switch exclusive, it would do wonders for the platform this year.
Yeah, hopefully. 3DS didn't get a Pokémon game till two years in despite launching on the month of Black and White as well as black and white 2 being DS exclusive the following year.
Stars this year alongside Mario should seal Switch's success

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
The 3DS & 2DS aren't going anywhere until Nintendo can manage to get the Switch down to a more mass market price point.

Baleoce

Reggie said 3 months ago that it had a long and robust future ahead of it.

But honestly, who knows.. He's probably just saying that. Companies never really admit to winding things down when there's still money to be made, and a considerable install base, even if they are trying to support a newly released system. Look back to the support for PS3/X360 when this gen first came out. There was a good buffer there for a while (not that it's a directly comparable platform leap, I just mean in terms of supporting an existing install base). It does seem like it's winding down though tbh. I think part of the issue is that "longterm support" to them might mean something completely different than it does to us. To them it's probably infastructure, accounts and the odd release. To us it's games games games.

LordKano

They could do something unexpected like release Stars to Switch and Gen4 3DS remakes in quick succession.

Game Freak can barely release one functional Pokémon game each year, and even then, they couldn't in 2015. You can't expect them to make both Stars and a full-remake simultaneously.

Same could be said of wiiu support in 2015 and 2016. Even that didn't result in high Switch output.

Nintendo is already very dependand of third parties for their own output. This is something Nintendo is doing for years.

So result is not more output for Switch or less for 3ds.This is how Nintendo works now.

Baleoce

Makes sense to sell to the 60+ million audience than the 1+ million audience, honestly.

Although, if they announce it for Switch, it wouldn't just be a 1+ million audience to be fair. People would certainly buy the system for it.

What is the install base for Switch at currently anyhow? I've no idea.

redcrayon

'Support' isnt the same as 'development'. They said that they'd support it through 2018. Seeing as Nintendo has been publishing Dragon Quest in Europe, I wouldn't be surprised if (Pokemon aside) their main 3DS first-party activity next year was publishing DQXI here. They also publish Monster Hunter in Europe, so they might have a hand in that too. Shepherding through the last round of late localisations would round the handheld off nicely in 2018.

Game Freak can barely release one functional Pokémon game each year, and even then, they couldn't in 2015. You can't expect them to amke both Stars and a full-remake simultaneously.

It's on the assumption that the Switch ver would be a very minor revision that's been in planning since Sun/Moon. Those companions with Gen 4 pokes in the new movie are making me suspicious

Futureman

Part of your point is that most of the 1st party games are being made by external studios. I don't get why those don't "count." Those external studios could be making Switch games.

LordKano

It's on the assumption that the Switch ver would be a very minor revision that's been in planning since Sun/Moon. Those companions with Gen 4 pokes in the new movie are making me suspicious

A very minor version is still the first HD Pokémon game, that's a lot of work lol.

Berordn

We know this to be true with Kirby at least since Nintendo sits on those titles. Planet Robobot appears to have been completed in 2015, and Team Kirby Clash Deluxe actually has a 2016 copyright despite coming out a few weeks ago.

This new Kirby title was probably finished sometime last year and they're just waiting for the chance to bring it to market.

Cartho

I think the OP is pretty much spot on.

Any new 3DS games coming out this year or next year likely started development a decent time ago and the dev teams didn't want or weren't able to port them over. This could have been due to the main development being too far gone and reliant on the touchscreen or through lack of dev kits / desire to learn a new system.

It's no different to how Dragon Age Inquisition, Shadow of Mordor and Destiny, all very big titles, released on PS360 as well as PS4 and Xbox One. 3DS support will gradually peter out until all of their dev teams are working on Switch. I can't see them greenlighting any new 3DS exclusive projects from now on. Or, at least, certainly not any larger scale projects.

Game Freak can barely release one functional Pokémon game each year, and even then, they couldn't in 2015. You can't expect them to amke both Stars and a full-remake simultaneously.

Not saying that this is concrete evidence, but didn't people find tons of unused animations and models in Sun/Moon? I feel like you don't do all of that work for nothing...

LordKano

Not saying that this is concrete evidence, but didn't people find tons of unused animations and models in Sun/Moon? I feel like you don't do all of that work for nothing...

Yep, actually there's a ton of unused content that's pointing to Stars really existing at some point.

-Setsuna-

Dragon Quest XI, Alliance Alive, FE Echoes, Ever Oasis, Dai Gyakuten Saiban 2, Snack World, Layton's Mystery Journey, Famista Climax, Hey! Pikmin, Sekaiju to Fushigi no Dungeon 2, Radiant Historia PC, SMT Deep Strange Journey, new Kirby game... to name a few.

Also, Miitopia is a pretty sweet game. I hope you guys will give it a chance.

Noctilum

I am thinking Nintendo will be doing upgrades to Switch, like manufacturers do smartphones/tablets, probably semi-annually though. This gen Switch will drop to $200 to replace 3DS as more accessible system and the next one may use Tegra X2 and go for $300, maybe include a camera, etc. I think Nintendo is just trying to hold onto 3DS as long as possible until this can happen.

LoveCake

I love my original 3DS!

The Switch has nothing to offer me as a 3DS and WiiU owner, Nintendo released a fair amount of free DLC for Animal Crossing: New Leaf late last year, unless I can port my entire town to the Switch Animal Crossing it's a no go for me.

Isn't the Switch the 'third pillar' though, if not then what is?

LordKano

I love my original 3DS!

The Switch has nothing to offer me as a 3DS and WiiU owner, Nintendo released a fair amount of free DLC for Animal Crossing: New Leaf late last year, unless I can port my entire town to the Switch Animal Crossing it's a no go for me.

Pillars right now are Switch, 3DS and mobile. By the end of this year, there will be only two left.

Sapiens

It's felt like they were slowing things down for at least a year now. If you're a 3Ds owner, you've really felt the lack of must haves from Nintendo imo.

What's being released now is only there to give the sense it is an active system. It exists mainly to sell the boat load of amazing legacy software. And it's hard to sell people a system if they don't see any new name brand name games coming out.

Pokemaniac

If Sun and Moon get a third version (something I'm getting increasingly doubtful of after they blew their load of Mythicals in one go), that is probably the last major unannounced 3DS game in the pipeline. Otherwise, yeah, it's just a few cheap side projects and localizations.

Kyzer

Banned
So you lay out the theory and then point out a few exceptions, do I need to say it or is it obvious that your theory is incorrect?

FE and Kirby count as games. And honestly id argue the external team games too, especially if theyre commissioned by Nintendo for a Nintendo property.

LordKano

So you lay out the theory and then point out a few exceptions, do I need to say it or is it obvious that your theory is incorrect?

? I laid out a theory and gave a few examples as to why I think it's the case. Yes, there are still a few Nintendo games coming on 3DS (namely, two), just like there were still a few Nintendo games coming on Wii U in 2016. Will you argue that Nintendo was still considerably investing on Wii U in 2016 though ?

b3b0p

I love my original 3DS!

Right there with you.

Love my Original 3DS and my recently acquired (Pikachu) New 3DS. I have no inclination or desire for a Switch, or any console for that matter.

Between the 3DS and my Steam library that's a ton of gaming. I'm content.

If they released a new portable though I would be interested. A true dedicated handheld. Not a hybrid console. Until then Nintendo.

Kyzer

Banned
? I laid out a theory and gave a few examples as to why I think it's the case. Yes, there are still a few Nintendo games coming on 3DS (namely, two), just like there were still a few Nintendo games coming on Wii U in 2016. Will you argue that Nintendo was still considerably investing on Wii U in 2016 though ?

Thats the thing though, not investing considerably and "stopped developing games" are not the same thing. If that was your actual point and argument I concede

Top Bottom