• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim on PS3: The Last Stand / Update: Digital Foundry investigates

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Someone please post when the US patch goes up... would really appreciate it.

JJD

Just downloaded all the patches. I will finally start my first Skyrim playthrough. Hopefully everything will be all right.

sp3000

Last I checked, the PC's got the best version of the game, so I'm not really seeing your point.

I think the problem is it's a huge pain having to develop with the split memory, and is very restricting on what devs can do while on the xbox they can use the 512 however they want. No matter how you look at it, it was an utterly stupid decision to split the memory on the PS3.

godnorazi

Banned
I may just buy this now.

i just cant understand getting a mod friendly game as skyrim (or any gamebryo game) for a console... im not a PC elitist... i pick my PS3 for most games due to 50" plasma and couch comfort but mods are a huge part of skyrim and thus i got it for PC

JJD

Agreed. Split memory configurations are dumb.

Thank you for your contribution to this thread.

I think the problem is it's a huge pain having to develop with the split memory, and is very restricting on what devs can do while on the xbox they can use the 512 however they want. No matter how you look at it, it was an utterly stupid decision to split the memory on the PS3.

Can't we let this talk for the other threads? This has been discussed exhaustively and don't add nothing to the topic at hand: wether the last patch actually fixes Skyrim's PS3 problems.

Can't wait to jump in tomorrow morning, I literally just hit the magic lag in my 110 hour play through yesterday so it worked out great for me timing-wise.

i just cant understand getting a mod friendly game as skyrim (or any gamebryo game) for a console... im not a PC elitist... i pick my PS3 for most games due to 50" plasma and couch comfort but mods are a huge part of skyrim and thus i got it for PC

Because everyone has a gaming PC?

How was your play through before that?

It got fairly laggy starting around 85-ish hours, but I'm FAR more tolerating than the average gamer when it comes graphical stuff like this. It was frustrating but playable. Just hit unplayable to me yesterday, fast travel to Whiterun and it took me like five minutes to get to the Inn.

Even I draw the line there.

JJD

It got fairly laggy starting around 85-ish hours, but I'm FAR more tolerating than the average gamer when it comes graphical stuff like this. It was frustrating but playable. Just hit unplayable to me yesterday, fast travel to Whiterun and it took me like five minutes to get to the Inn.

Even I draw the line there.

I consider myself pretty tolerant to lag in offline games too. I borrowed Fallout on the 360 from a friend and played it for 40 hours, then I bought it for the PS3. There's no question that the PS3 version was inferior but I platined the game and all the DLC, and it's issues didn't bother me that much.

If Skyrim runs like Fallout ran on PS3 I guess I won't have many problems!

Anyway I'm glad I waited this patch, I've been wanting to play this game for more than 2 months now! Hopefully it fixes all your issues with the game!

godnorazi

Banned
People don't buy upgradeable computers anymore.

pretty much any modern dell or hp has a decent cpu/motherboard... dell just had a sale for an i7 2600 powered desktop for $500, even a $300 i3 powered desktop will play any game out with the right video card and 4+ gb ram. you might need to get a quality 500w PSU that can be found for $30 on sale (my OCZ 500w modxstream was $25 on sale and has great reviews)... the radeon 5770 will put out graphics better than the ps3/360 and will fit into any small case

Its not a demanding game man.
it can be very demanding, especially if you go nuts on some of the mods.

Of course not everybody has a gaming PC, but if you have the option to pick up Skyrim on PC it really is the way to go. Comfy couch PC Skyrim with mods is one of the best things out there right now and its only getting better.

godnorazi

Banned

Jucksalbe

Banned
Why buy a new $400 PC when I can play games on consoles I already own? Not everyone cares about mods. But I can at least expect a game to run decently on a console it was released for.

Now let's get back to the original topic.

Dave1988

My save wieghs 15 mbs and I have over 160 hours clocked in in Skyrim. Here are my experiences pre and post patch:

Pre-patch: Lag would kick in after 20 or 30 minutes depending on what I was doing. The framerate would also get choppy whenever I entered Windhelm because of the heavy snowfall (same thing happened in mountain regions). Horse riding and dragon fighting would also make the lag kick in.

Post patch: played over an hour and a half and so far 99% of the lag is gone. There is the occasional stutter here and there but the difference is night and day, basically. To test how well this patch holds up I did the following things:
1. Rode from Downstar Sanctuary all the way to Morthal. No lag with a bit of stutter when I uncovered a new dungeon.
2. Fought dragons. No lag.
3. Fast traveled to and ran around Whiterun and Solitude. Before the patch these two towns were the most laggy for me and where the game would basically turn into a slideshow. Now, there's a bit of lag when I enter the city and the game stutters at times when I'm running around Whiterun. It's not perfect but it is a tremendous improvement.

Honestly, I'm both impressed and pissed of by this patch. I'm impressed because it seems that it fixed this game breaking bug and at the same time I'm pissed that it took almost two months before this was patched. This patch should've been a day one patch, not a month two one. But I guess I should be thanking the heavens that Bethesda actaully fixed it.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
My save wieghs 15 mbs and I have over 160 hours clocked in in Skyrim. Here are my experiences pre and post patch:

Pre-patch: Lag would kick in after 20 or 30 minutes depending on what I was doing. The framerate would also get choppy whenever I entered Windhelm because of the heavy snowfall (same thing happened in mountain regions). Horse riding and dragon fighting would also make the lag kick in.

Post patch: played over an hour and a half and so far 99% of the lag is gone. There is the occasional stutter here and there but the difference is night and day, basically. To test how well this patch holds up I did the following things:
1. Rode from Downstar Sanctuary all the way to Morthal. No lag with a bit of stutter when I uncovered a new dungeon.
3. Fast traveled to and ran around Whiterun and Solitude. Before the patch these two towns were the most laggy for me and where the game would basically turn into a slideshow. Now, there's a bit of lag when I enter the city and the game stutters at times when I'm running around Whiterun. It's not perfect but it is a tremendous improvement.

Honestly, I'm both impressed and pissed of by this patch. I'm impressed because it seems that it fixed this game breaking bug and at the same time I'm pissed that it took almost two months before this was patched. This patch should've been a day one patch, not a month two one. But I guess I should be thanking the heavens that Bethesda actaully fixed it.
This is really good news. I refused to buy it until it got fixed even though I really wanted to play it. Hopefully more people have the same results as you.

colinp

Banned

Oh happy day!

(PC Aryans, gtfo of this thread!)

JJD

Wow man that's great!!! Props to Bethesda at last! PS3 players never wanted the best version of the game, just something playable!

Also, SMH at all this PC talk...take that to the Skyrim thread or the mod one please.

Synless

Wow man that's great!!! Props to Bethesda at last! PS3 players never wanted the best version of the game, just something playable!

Also, SMH at all this PC talk...take that to the Skyrim thread or the mod one please.

Hell if I didn't want the best version of the game on ps3! I didn't get that though so I bought the 360 version.

I managed to check it out briefly tonight and although my save (so far) only has shrunk to 12 megs, the lag is the best as I can even remember. It's like a whole new game again.

It looks good, load times ... not sure if they've improved much (can't really tuck into it tonight) but the lag moving around is incredibly fixed.

So far so good.

It fixed the quest bug I ran into so i'm satisfied. Thankfully I had another save right before I was suppose to start the quest since it didn't add it on the other save I had. It was the "Bloods Honor" quest in Driftshade. Hopefully everything is good from now on.

Archon473

This is really good news. I refused to buy it until it got fixed even though I really wanted to play it. Hopefully more people have the same results as you.

Welp, looks like I can buy Skyrim now!

I'm excited for the patch and am anxious to buy the game and experience it, but is it worth the $60 asking price? We waited three months to finally get the finished product. Assuming the release date was February this year, paying $60 would be no problem. But we waited while others enjoyed it, and many suffered and were unable to enjoy it. I am all for paying what is owed and supporting game developers and their IP; even thinking positively, Bethesda worked to improve the PS3 version and patch bugs from all versions. It is fair to say they did their job and made a great game.

After waiting for so long, however, I can't justify paying the day-one asking price. All hype faded, experiencing the game as a community is over... I agree the game's value remains, but I can't justify spending full price on Skyrim after all this. Maybe Amazon has ruined me; even Deus Ex: Human Revolution, a great game, was $35 after three weeks. This means to many consumers it was not worth full price. The only way to speak to developers is with our wallets. After three months, I can't agree that Skyrim is worth $60.

jonabbey

I'm excited for the patch and am anxious to buy the game and experience it, but is it worth the $60 asking price? We waited three months to finally get the finished product. Assuming the release date was February this year, paying $60 would be no problem. But we waited while others enjoyed it, and many suffered and were unable to enjoy it. I am all for paying what is owed and supporting game developers and their IP; even thinking positively, Bethesda worked to improve the PS3 version and patch bugs from all versions. It is fair to say they did their job and made a great game.

After waiting for so long, however, I can't justify paying the day-one asking price. All hype faded, experiencing the game as a community is over... I agree the game's value remains, but I can't justify spending full price on Skyrim after all this. Maybe Amazon has ruined me; even Deus Ex: Human Revolution, a great game, was $35 after three weeks. This means to many consumers it was not worth full price. The only way to speak to developers is with our wallets. After three months, I can't agree that Skyrim is worth $60.

You're missing out on something great. Up to you what you value it at.

I don't think it would hurt waiting for a sale or price drop. I got mine for $40 a bit before Christmas and think it was worth it. Keep an eye out for sales if you don't want to pay $60. I know I did!

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
Glad to hear that it seemed to fix the major problems. Now I can finally buy this game for PS3.

Shame it took so long, but at least Bethesda is doing the right thing.

Top Bottom