• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden 3 |OT| Ninja Dog Revengeance

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
yeah it is. I loved the CG in the game sooooo much when it came out. Its a shame the CG cutscenes have only gotten downgraded with every port.

Alma 2 gives me the most trouble by far. I should really watch a guide on how to hit her consistently.
Downgraded with every port?

The cutscene before the fight is kinda neat though. :p

Argh, that cutscene pissed me off.

Starting off in that beautiful field, with the flowers, and I'm thinking 'Oh, this is gonna be a great setting for final battle...'

...then it all burns up and you're in generic hell-level. Ugh.

BTW, is there a create-a-mission mode in NG3? And if no, why the fuck not? How hard is it to create a forge-mode style setup where you pick a location, you select the enemies you want to use, and you set the triggers (drop this enemy in when a certain number are defeated, yada yada).

Man, the fourth time I fought that exact same red hooded boss with the exact same attack patterns and animations, I just KNEW how personal and intimate the relationship was between us.

Ya know, I've seen this mentioned a couple of times in this thread (possibly each time by you, you've got enough hate for the game and posts to boot...) and I didn't see it at all. Every time I fought him he ended up doing more shit I hadn't seen the previous encounter.

Playing NGB on the 360 the FMVs look like total shit. Sigma they look more or less the same since they were just ported and not rendered again in higher resolution. No idea about Sigma+ but I couldn't imagine them looking different again.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Playing NGB on the 360 the FMVs look like total shit. Sigma they look more or less the same since they were just ported and not rendered again in higher resolution. No idea about Sigma+ but I couldn't imagine them looking different again.

The default option crops them to play in 16:9 in black and sigma. They look pretty much the same if you set them to their original 4:3 ratio...but I'm sure you knew that already...

On 360 they do judder a lot, but that's an emulation issue.

SHAZOOM

Okay beat Black on Normal. Thank god you can push start when you collect the dark Dragon blade and skip straight to Murai. Mural was cake.

I barely touched any weapons other than the flails in my run. TDS for bosses, Lunar for crowd control, but otherwise the flails let me do damage while staying mobile.

Will start up a Hard run later.

Veelk

Banned
Ya know, I've seen this mentioned a couple of times in this thread (possibly each time by you, you've got enough hate for the game and posts to boot...) and I didn't see it at all. Every time I fought him he ended up doing more shit I hadn't seen the previous encounter.
Yeah, I'm perfectly happy to bash NG3 for fun, but he did always have another move or two when I fought him.

Okay beat Black on Normal. Thank god you can push start when you collect the dark Dragon blade and skip straight to Murai. Mural was cake.

I had no idea lol.

Not that it matters, as there was only a chapter or two left by the time you get the DDB. Which really sucks, you never get a chance to experiment with the weapon properly. Man, this game needs a NG+.

Sweet Christ, Doku certainly learned how to handle the flying swallow, didn't he? He used to be a push-over.

I figured out that if you hit him with the FS during his little five-move combo, he doesn't block it and you can lead right into the xxxyy combo for some good damage.

Fiddling with a STUPID platform puzzle now. 10 minutes of fussing away from GameFAQs.

Ænima;36739722 said:
I believe that the game totally sucking will impact sales more than you think. Terrible word of mouth combined with getting a 3 on IGN, by far the biggest video game website, will hurt NG3 sales in America big time imo.

It'll still probably sell better than Ninja Gaiden 2 and take the franchise mainstream, which is what Tecmo wants. It's a win-win for them. Sales-wise, I can see this being a success. Especially since it's gonna be a launch title for the WiiU.

The default option crops them to play in 16:9 in black and sigma. They look pretty much the same if you set them to their original 4:3 ratio...but I'm sure you knew that already...

On 360 they do judder a lot, but that's an emulation issue.

Right, the stuttering (and the colors looking washed out and blotched) was an emulation issue. That's mainly what I was referring to. That's why I specified 360 since playing on my OG Xbox they look just fine. I figured that what was being talked about since that's really the only time I could see anyone mentioning them looking worse with each port.

On the subject of the thread: I actually enjoyed NG3. I do still feel like I prefer Sigma 2, with Black right there with it, as my favorite modern NG if only because you do have more options and none of the encounters are just constantly throwing sword sponges at you (and Sigma 2 I get Ayane and Momiji).

If they could make it feel more like the previous 2 by patching in multiple weapons, at the very least, I have to wonder if opinions of it would change at all. There's more "wrong" with it than just that, but it would be a start.

Either way, I really enjoyed it. It had some frustrating parts to it but I refused to play on anything below Hard until I completed it... but now I need to if I want those other trophies.
Maybe I'll play Hero mode with the Move

Robot Pants

Did anyone know about this glitch?. If you buy the claws for use in the trial mode for 240MS points, it unlocks the trials also.

http://www.iberiansngrealm.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14923

Also the new Ultimate Ninja difficulty DLC is described on the website now.
Doesn't really say what's in it, or if it's a 1 hit kill (I think it will be), but the there will be a special leaderboard for it when it drops.
You also get 2 more Ultimate Ninja trials, and a costume
lolololol but no one cares
http://teamninja-studio.com/ng3/us/dlc/index.html

The nickel and diming for this game is just UNREAL.
I can't even keep up with all these dlc packs. Not to mention the scythe will be coming out soon to add to the confusion.
Glad I rented this game and have since sent it back. Good riddance.

I really don't why how anyone can fuck this up,Ninja Gaiden has the absolute best combat system ever,you don't touch that you just add more techniques and

1- Cool set of enemies and weapons
2- Levels that inspired by NG1 Hayabusa Village and NG2 tokyo.
3- Basic as shit story like saving some whore princess from a demon lizard (Hayabusa is a badass here to kill stuff we don't need to know anything other than that)

yet they fucked it up.

QTEs are super repetitive,serious lack of non human enemies, no hidden items or anything..and one ninpo and one UT ( well I have more later?) !! the hell even the freaking Izuna Drop lack the powerful "impact" of NG2/Sigma2 ,and what with the stealth parts? this is not a realistic ninja simulation,Ryu Hayabusa don't need to sneak, he fought tanks and giant huge demon monster,this is like if the Hulk will use reason and diplomacy.

Seriously was team Ninja members completely drunk during development? because it's not like a complete new studio,this is the Sigma team and they actually remade NG2 and did many right things with Sigma1/2 so they should know better than this.

Today was a very bad day for me :(

I won't call them "good" but they were better, and it's weird, because Hayashi improved the camera in Sigma1/2 to just to gave us NG1 camera again, well at least the game stay true to NG in one thing.

catching up on this thread but holy shit, this post made me lol

Jigsaw

Banned
Not sure. My guess is no though

yea,bought it and i can't access the new trials,booooo-urns

was the first and last dlc i bought for this game,good luck koei

am i the only one how thinks day 5 was fucking awesome?i wish the whole game was like this,no damn mutant apes that kill you in 2 grabs,just me vs a dozen ninja who go kamikaze on you instead of begging for their lives

CAVE343

yea,bought it and i can't access the new trials,booooo-urns

was the first and last dlc i bought for this game,good luck koei

am i the only one how thinks day 5 was fucking awesome?i wish the whole game was like this,no damn mutant apes that kill you in 2 grabs,just me vs a dozen ninja who go kamikaze on you instead of begging for their lives

Day 5 was nice indeed, best day imo.

Ugh, realized I missed some scarabs. What's the fastest way back into the Aquaduct after you've cleared the water-level and the Doku boss battle?

(NInja Gaiden Black)

Is it just me, or is the color palette in Ninja Gaiden and NGB much wider and prettier than the color palette in Ninja Gaiden 2?

I speaking specifically to environments.

maybe that's not accurate-- they don't look nice in NGB if you play on 360 and I remember them looking crappy in NGS, but that could be because the compression stands out more compared to the in-game graphics. uh, forgot how they look in NGS+ already...

dankir

After slogging through this it looks like the series really did leave with Itagaki. Not sure why they felt to change a battle system that was pretty incredible and give us this mess instead.

Ninja Gaiden 2 needed some polish to make it even better, not be completely rebuilt from scratch. QTE's were incredibly annoying and forced. Shame on you Tecmo!

Check our my review

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-OCFSCZC8s

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
maybe that's not accurate-- they don't look nice in NGB if you play on 360 and I remember them looking crappy in NGS, but that could be because the compression stands out more compared to the in-game graphics. uh, forgot how they look in NGS+ already...
Exactly, it's more a case where the flaws of the video are more visible on higher resolution displays than any sort of downgrade. XBOX games in general featured very poor quality video to begin with (though NG was better than most).

Jigsaw

Banned
ok so i'm sitting at the third encounter of day 1 on master ninja for an hour now and i'm about to give up,this shit is ridiculous

first wave are only normal soldiers and rocketlauncher guys,ok
next wave adds those annoying hard-to-izuna-drop guys,still ok
next wave adds krausers and the game cheats by removing your UT for whatever reason,but ok
next wave throws shield guys into the mix,but ok
next wave more krausers and shield guys,i can take them down with 5% health left,YES I WON
....next wave,alchemists,cool,dead,all from beginning

can someone explain the steel on bone shit to me?is it totally random?do i have to inflict a specific amount of damage and then hit the enemy with a specific combo to trigger it?i noticed that after a few hits i can slide into the normal soldiers and then triggering it with triangle

but mostly i can't even fight on the ground because any enemy could grab me any time,so all i'm doing is spamming the freaking izuna drop and run-square-square on the guys with the orange daggers (sliding behind them and launch them into an izuna is not working that well)

You just need to learn what each enemy is vulnerable to.

Armored soldiers with glowing knives: on-landing 360Y into ID
Beret soldiers: X+A, A, Y. Insta-kills them every time.
Alchemists: Running + XX (after chapter 5: running + XXXXXY or running XXX, >Y ID). Though in the first chapter, I think every alchemist encounter besides the 1v1 can be bypassed with ninpo. Just save it for them.

For steel on bone, target one of the common grunts. Use XYXXX on him, which should bloody his clothes (signifying he is at low health), then slide into him, hit Y, and then hit X to finish the SoB. Hit X again to chain it to a nearby enemy and repeat.

SHAZOOM

You just need to learn what each enemy is vulnerable to.

Beret soldiers: X+A, A, Y. Insta-kills them every time.
Alchemists: Running + XX (after chapter 5: running + XXXXXY or running XXX, >Y ID). Though in the first chapter, I think every alchemist encounter besides the 1v1 can be bypassed with ninpo. Just save it for them.

For steel on bone, target one of the common grunts. Use XYXXX on him, which should bloody his clothes (signifying he is at low health), then slide into him, hit Y, and then hit X to finish the SoB. Hit X again to chain it to a nearby enemy and repeat.
So there's some degree of high level play in NG3. Or at least some solid strategies.

Jigsaw

Banned

yep,read that in another forum and it's really helping,when you finish an ID you can instantly do another OL 360 ID,and another,and another,as long as it connects to another enemy

i've been abusing running xx (+ID) the majority of my hard playthrough already,it's really broken

i'm now at the part with the fog and stealth is stupid in this game

Jigsaw

Banned
master ninja day 3 > encounter with the 2 turrets,words can't describe the amount of cheapness

i think i never raged so hard about a game nor did i break a controller in ng1 or 2,but in ng3 i broke 2 within in hour

2012-04-11-065248fyjr8.jpg

now i have to get a new ps3 and ps2 controller,thank you hayashit

Victrix

*beard*
I like to imagine he broke them because he was so enraged over the death of quality in NG, not because he has terrible rage issues that require professional attention

Jigsaw

Banned
LOL

how the hell did you break those? Threw them against the wall?

in the beginning,yes,then i twisted the green one,the silver one i just crushed on the floor

I like to imagine he broke them because he was so enraged over the death of quality in NG, not because he has terrible rage issues that require professional attention

LOL

Robot Pants

master ninja day 3 > encounter with the 2 turrets,words can't describe the amount of cheapness

i think i never raged so hard about a game nor did i break a controller in ng1 or 2,but in ng3 i broke 2 within in hour

2012-04-11-065248fyjr8.jpg

now i have to get a new ps3 and ps2 controller,thank you hayashit

HA! wait til you get to the acid pit on MN. You better plan the previous encounter before hand too.

Jigsaw

Banned
Ok I understand throwing a controller of the game your playing. But you went specifically outta your way to destroy your ps2 controller as well?

no,after the ps3 controller stopped working for whatever reason i plugged in my old ps2 controller via usb adapter and tried further,without much success

HA! wait til you get to the acid pit on MN. You better plan the previous encounter before hand too.

i read about that,can't wait to get there,lol

I have been spending some time with this game for the past few days and currently at the boss in Day 7. I've been a huge NG fan bought and completed NG, NGB, NGS, NG2 (Final boss but counting as beating it and NGS2. The game is pretty meh but has some fun parts.

Cons
-Boring generic enemy types. What makes matters worse there is such a limited set of enemies.

-No mid bosses

-Levels are pretty bland compared to the cool locals in NG2. Day 5 is the only decent level. You wont find sweet looking levels like Neo Tokyo, Ninja Graveyard, NYC or Venice.

-Lack of weapons. Only the Ninja Sword? Really? and I can't even level it up.

-No leveling up HP

-ZERO sense of exploration. No reason to search levels for more Essence or Karma

-The combat is not as fun. God of War seems to have more depth to it and is more fun.

-No decapitations

-Terrible parts like kunai wall climbing

Pros
-Some bosses are pretty fun

-Day 5

Pretty meh game. I would give it a 5 or a 6. I enjoyed Ninja Blade much more.

I have been spending some time with this game for the past few days and currently at the boss in Day 7. I've been a huge NG fan bought and completed NG, NGB, NGS, NG2 (Final boss but counting as beating it) and NGS2. The game is pretty meh but has some fun parts.

Cons
-Boring generic enemy types. What makes matters worse there is such a limited set of enemies.

-No mid bosses

-Levels are pretty bland compared to the cool locals in NG2. Day 5 is the only decent level. You wont find sweet looking levels like Neo Tokyo, Ninja Graveyard, NYC or Venice.

-Lack of weapons. Only the Ninja Sword? Really? and I can't even level it up.

-No leveling up HP

-ZERO sense of exploration. No reason to search levels for more Essence or Karma

-The combat is not as fun. God of War seems to have more depth to it and is more fun.

-No decapitations

-Terrible parts like kunai wall climbing

Pros
-Some bosses are pretty fun

-Day 5

Pretty meh game. I would give it a 5 or a 6. I enjoyed Ninja Blade much more.

Haha, once I got so mad during a match of Halo 2, that I calmly turned off the game, unplugged my controller, picked up my car keys, went outside, placed the controller under the rear wheel of my car, and drove backwards and forwards over it for 5 solid minutes.

I'm totally serious. I was pissed.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
The only raging I do is shouting nonsensical obscenities or gripping my controller like a vice. I'd never actually destroy a piece of property.

SHAZOOM

I think you guys need to flip off your TV more often. Release your anger in small doses so you don't ... break a $50 controller. Yeh.

i-Lo

After slogging through this it looks like the series really did leave with Itagaki. Not sure why they felt to change a battle system that was pretty incredible and give us this mess instead.

Ninja Gaiden 2 needed some polish to make it even better, not be completely rebuilt from scratch. QTE's were incredibly annoying and forced. Shame on you Tecmo!

Check our my review

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-OCFSCZC8s

Are you also the reviewer in that vid (the girl)? We Canadians are so pwetty XD

Btw, I found that review to put my mind at ease for returning it to Futureshop 2 days ago.

Are you also the reviewer in that vid (the girl)? We Canadians are so pwetty XD

Btw, I found that review to put my mind at ease for returning it to Futureshop 2 days ago.

Her profile says she's just the host... could be I guess though. I've played games with many a good-looking girl up here in Vancouver. Never a game as tough as Ninja Gaiden (in single-player anyway).

Lmao. I'm a motherfucking hot head at times but I have never got mad at a videogame to point that I'm breaking controllers.

Stupid people and mobile phones on the other hand........

Top Bottom