• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden 3 |OT| Ninja Dog Revengeance

Just played the demo, and I liked it, even though I see why NG fans hate the game. Anyway, about the story in the game, I seem to remember reading somewhere that it was related to the original NG trilogy?

It has the original scenario writer from the NES games and has a lot of
cloning and mutants crap in it.

benzy

Just played the demo, and I liked it, even though I see why NG fans hate the game. Anyway, about the story in the game, I seem to remember reading somewhere that it was related to the original NG trilogy?

It's as much related to the old NES games as the Itagaki games. The plot in NG3 is directly related to NG 1 and 2 on Xbox.

Finished Ultimate Ninja, got 3.3m karma. Worst game ever.

Wow......Master Ninja really pushed my skills to the limits and I beat NG2 on X360 and NG2S on Master Ninja. I cannot imagine how terrible UNM is. I just finished Master Ninja tonight and I must say, I recommend that people steer clear from that difficulty if you get frustrated easily. I've seen some disturbingly cheap stuff in that mode, especially if you do not have quick reflexes and patience. Once I mastered the moves of the weapons, the slide and learned each enemies weaknesses, it was much more bearable though. For anyone who complains that the game plays itself, try MNM and you will be humbled with it's dirty tactics and relentless enemies.

Am I the only one not bothered by the QTE's? The final blows essentially feel like OT from NG2 to me in a strange way. Maybe it is just me, but I don't really think they interrupted the flow of play as much as people say. It isn't like they are easy to fail and cause numerous deaths.

SHAZOOM

Am I the only one not bothered by the QTE's? The final blows essentially feel like OT from NG2 to me in a strange way. Maybe it is just me, but I don't really think they interrupted the flow of play as much as people say. It isn't like they are easy to fail and cause numerous deaths.

Honestly, its not like God of War where you have to do a series of button presses that literally have nothing to do with the action involved. Most of the QTEs are just button prompts for stuff that's always been in Ninja Gaiden:

X + waggle stick breaks throws
Y to OT/Kill Bosses
Mash on X when in a Sword Clash/Steel on Bone.

If you guys want hard terrible QTEs, play Spider-man 3. God damn I hate that games QTEs.

Ninja Dom

I'm going through my first playthrough on Hard. I can see a lot of influences from Metroid Other M. Especially the running into the screen avoiding obstacles sections and the over the shoulder cam sections.

Honestly, its not like God of War where you have to do a series of button presses that literally have nothing to do with the action involved. Most of the QTEs are just button prompts for stuff that's always been in Ninja Gaiden:

X + waggle stick breaks throws
Y to OT/Kill Bosses
Mash on X when in a Sword Clash/Steel on Bone.

If you guys want hard terrible QTEs, play Spider-man 3. God damn I hate that games QTEs.

I agree the QTEs are not super offensive. it's just that the other games had so much more going on in their combat systems. OT doesn't feel like a QTE in NG2, it's more like a second to actually catch your breath knowing you're in a longer invincible animation (and they're super satisfying given how much that game fucks with you.) this game doesn't give much of a sense of accomplishment, then throws you into these canned animations over and over.

I'm not bothered either ...i played a long amount of time and i never got at a point where i was bothered ...BUT ...

The kunai climbing is horrible ...

Ninja Dom

I'm up to Day 7 on this and I have to admit that I'M REALLY ENJOYING MYSELF!!

I've been through Ninja Gaiden Xbox, NG Black, Sigma, Sigma 2 and now NG3 PS3.

I was expecting a complete train wreck but it's not really that bad. It's completely inferior to the others and has some bullshit in it.

No score, collectibles, exploring, weapons, upgrades etc. You know the list. Combat is far weaker than NG 2.

But the game is okay so far.

I'm up to Day 7 on this and I have to admit that I'M REALLY ENJOYING MYSELF!!

I've been through Ninja Gaiden Xbox, NG Black, Sigma, Sigma 2 and now NG3 PS3.

I was expecting a complete train wreck but it's not really that bad. It's completely inferior to the others and has some bullshit in it.

No score, collectibles, exploring, weapons, upgrades etc. You know the list. Combat is far weaker than NG 2.

But the game is okay so far.

You get a score when you unlock the master ninja mode. Yeah, I know, that makes no sense whatsoever.

The collectibles(scarabs, skulls) are in multiplayer and they net you more experience for your ninja. Why multiplayer??? Yeah, I know.....makes no sense.

I'm not bothered either ...i played a long amount of time and i never got at a point where i was bothered ...BUT ...

The kunai climbing is horrible ...

Actually, I got the timing down and I don't mind that either. At first, it felt weird to me admittedly, especially that burning bridge part.

SHAZOOM

So basically, if you play the game expecting it to control EXACTLY like NG1/2, with the same kind of strategies, you'll hate the game.

If you go in with no real expectations, its a solid if flawed effort.

Also, I still have no idea why the game is still above $30. If it bombed so badly, in the opinion of metascores and diehard NG fans, why hasn't it gone down in price? I want to pick this up at $20 and under (only rented it on Gamefly).

If they do another NG, I almost want them to go for a mash up of Modern NG/Nes NG/Arcade NG. Sort of like a Double Dragon Advance, where Ryu is just leaving a bloody mess across his CrossCountry trip across America.

hayejin

So basically, if you play the game expecting it to control EXACTLY like NG1/2, with the same kind of strategies, you'll hate the game.

Also, I still have no idea why the game is still above $30. If it bombed so badly, in the opinion of metascores and diehard NG fans, why hasn't it gone down in price? I want to pick this up at $20 and under (only rented it on Gamefly).

If they do another NG, I almost want them to go for a mash up of Modern NG/Nes NG/Arcade NG. Sort of like a Double Dragon Advance, where Ryu is just leaving a bloody mess across his CrossCountry trip across America.

My sentiments exactly. I'm enjoying the Ninja Trials. The Master and Ultimate Ninja mode is pretty much impossible unless you have a good communicating coop player. The Clans battle is pretty dumb with pretty much upper tier level players dominating most of the games.

Games that bomb normally do not drop as fast anymore it seems. For example, why is Never Dead and Asura's Wrath still l$60 after all this time? Knights Contract and Golden Axe: BR took forever drop to a reasonable price also.

Ok, so I really want to know.... How is the level design and graphics in comparison to NG1 and NG2? Everything I see looks like it's a huge step down in both these areas.

Also, what kills me is the story looks like a complete departure from the previous games. I wish they would have kept to the whole
Archfiend storyline and not about some random, unexplained Goddess brought forth by a previously unknown alchemy group that has no connections to the Vigoor Empire or the Fiends.

Ninja Dom

The Fiends being in the game are unexplained even though Ryu acknowledges them in a cutscenes.

I've finished my Hard playthrough and started my Master Ninja playthrough and it is a pile of bullshit - as has been said by others earlier in the thread. Immediately those helmet wearing dudes are a nightmare when they attack in a group. And it's just wave after wave of enemies.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Hopefully they sold the majority of those. I can't wait for a new ng game where they take fan feedback and fix the stuff they broke.

That's a silly mentality. It's one of their strongest brands.

They won't NOT make a new Ninja Gaiden. The question becomes whether or not NG3 is the new standard for the franchise.

SHAZOOM

They won't NOT make a new Ninja Gaiden. The question becomes whether or not NG3 is the new standard for the franchise.

Honestly, if they keep in this direction they need to make the controls responsive 100% of the time. As it is, I don't really have a problem with the idea of the mechanics like SOB or building up meter for Ninpo/UTs. Add in more weapons and customize Ninpo load outs, I see it sort of going the DMC3 route where you pick your loadout beforehand vs. switching on the fly.

Should probably soft reboot and stop using the numbering, so its not expected to be Itagaki's version.

Or maybe there really weren't enough resources to make the game more polish. I don't know.

I think they pretty much killed the Ninja Gaiden franchise at this point. You're either going to see:
1) another handheld NG game.
or
2) another reboot of the series.

Picked this up for $20 (BB DoTD) is it normal for a black screen on startup for a good minute until I see tecmo logo? I'm installed on the 360. Anyone else have this?

WhyMe6

So I played the demo and, apart from the smoky fog bit, I thoroughly enjoyed myself. I'm keen to get this cheap, or maybe the updated (?) Wii U versiom when it's cheap. Why is this game bad again?

It's a hell of a lot better than the boring DS game, too.

Ninja Dom

So I played the demo and, apart from the smoky fog bit, I thoroughly enjoyed myself. I'm keen to get this cheap, or maybe the updated (?) Wii U versiom when it's cheap. Why is this game bad again?

It's a hell of a lot better than the boring DS game, too.

The game is just...BORING!!!

Problem is the Master Ninja and Ultimate Ninja playthrough's. Not enough variety in the enemies and all it essentially is walk into an invisibly squared off area and fight tons & tons of enemies. Then walk forward a small way to the next area and repeat. The difficulty isn't from the higher skill levels of the computer AI, it's from trying to stay alive after fighting hundreds of enemies being forced on you.

Kokonoe

Banned
dv03eD8yX2mYn.png

dblpTpIDBm5dYL.png

Are these playable characters? and does the Wii U version have more?

benzy

They're nonplayable. Only Ryu is playable in this version. Wii-u lets you play as Momiji, Ayane, and Kasumi (via dlc).

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
After six months, I just beat this game! I'd say it actually wasn't that terrible overall as a "brawler" type game, but an awful NG and the wave combat was terrible. I think the reviews were mostly fair but whatevs.

Top Bottom