• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata passes 2 million shipments + downloads

Tapejara

Between NieR and Yakuza this has been a good year for niche franchises finally finding success in the West. Grats to Taro and Platinum!

Durante

Is that how much it would cost? What's wrong with the PC version?
Well, maybe it would cost a few thousand.

Anyway, unless you are using an NV Kepler GPU (where the situation seems unclear), this is what is wrong with the PC version:
  • Fullscreen resolutions don't work correctly. (I estimate ~1 hour to fix)
  • Stuttering during cutscenes (maybe 2 hours)
  • Somewhat inefficient use of compute shaders (another 2 hours to at least greatly mitigate)
All of this is already implemented in a mod.

In addition to those PC-issues, there are also some issues which are common to both PC and PS4 Pro:
  • Glow effect buffers are not scaled from the base PS4 resolution, regardless of actual rendering resolution.
  • Same for the AO buffers.
These are also fixed in the same mod (I did it) -- it took 8 hours or so in total without source access.

So basically less than one man-week to make it a great port, and obviate the need for people to install a mod to enjoy it at its fullest.

Sayad

Yup, but more like hovering around 600k.
Although, then again, the SteamSpy figure is the "Sold" not "Shipped" one.
Shipped/sold shouldn't be far off from each others when we're not talking about the first shipment, it's hard to push in multiple shipments if they aren't being cleared and post release individual shipment especially for this type of game aren't going to be big any way.

Not enough profit to pay a few hundred dollars for the hours of work it would take to patch the PC version though.

It's staggeringly good compared to expectations (and most likely budget).

Offer your body to them and fix the game. Dont forget about raw mouse input

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Fuck yeah I love this game sooo much!!! Also I'm playing through the game on my 4th time and I just discovered
if you in route C talk to Anemones as A2, you get story behind A2's friends and how A2 and Anemones first met.
How the fuck did I miss that?

I hope he tries a new ip now.(one with fewer shmups sections and more platinum deep combat)
They never try be have Boyonetta like combat. NieR Automata's combat is evolved version of original NieR and Drakengard 3 combat.

I hope they keep their promise and port it to the Xbone. I know it will only be for a tiny amount of people but everybody needs to play this masterpiece.

DKHF

Probably uninteresting info to most lol but slightly interesting sales info, the developers said on their Niconico stream 2 days ago that Automata was at 1.97 million. So it took less than 2 days to sell or ship (likely sell since the game is currently discounted on Steam and PSN) the remaining 30k.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I'm playing through the game now and it's fantastic. Congrats to platinum for the game selling so well despite it being release around horizon and Zelda

Hesemonni

Banned
Although not as moving experience as the first Nier, it was a blast and I'll gladly take anything Nier and Yoko Taro related throw at my way. Awesome news!

Shipped/sold shouldn't be far off from each others when we're not talking about the first shipment, it's hard to push in multiple shipments if they aren't being cleared and post release individual shipment especially for this type of game aren't going to be big any way.

They shouldn't, but the distinction is still here.

Jazzem

Disappointing to hear there are still issues with the PC version, Square-Enix (at least the non-Eidos side) is so bad at just leaving games with blatant issues unpatched :/

Jimrpg

Between NieR and Yakuza this has been a good year for niche franchises finally finding success in the West. Grats to Taro and Platinum!

Well too bad Yakuza Zero sold 'average' again. Kiwami might have sold better though - though no numbers yet. But Zero is the real deal! Seriously - everyone give it a go, its fun!

Congrats to Platinum!

Danjin44

Although not as moving experience as the first Nier, it was a blast and I'll gladly take anything Nier and Yoko Taro related throw at my way. Awesome news!
I Absolutly LOVED original NieR and played it it multiple times. But Automata was also moving experience as much as original game was. I personally love how the characters in Automata was very different than original NieR, same way the NieR had very different tone and characters from Drakengard.

RossoneR

Banned
Bought it, on route C, im highly disappointed. I just dont see magic people find in it and im forcing myself to finish it.

Still glad it did well for platinum.

Glass Rebel

Nice. Greenlight a sequel with Platinum and all the spin-offs.

NieR JRPG by Silicon Studios.

NieR rhythm RPG by indieszero.

etc. etc.

Mivey

I wonder how many millions of dollars the Steam version has to make for them to afford a patch? I would say another 20 should afford them to start a preliminary technical analysis, and another 30 would see the actual patch released. That's my guess, anyway.

Spinky

I love this game even though the 9S route is a total slog, but did this really sell two million because ass?

Danjin44

I love this game even though the 9S route is a total slog, but did this really sell two million because ass?
I might be minority here but I loved Route B. I truly belive Route C wouldn't be as good as it was if wasn't for route B and also some of the best quests was in route B.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
So, PC fans gonna' avoid the next Nier or they'll eat that up too even if the PC devs treat it the same?

Even with the heavily publicised port quality it still reaches top of the charts if there's a sale.

Last nier sale had it just under pubg in the global top sellers.

If, 3 years ago, you had told me we'd get a Platinum developed Nier sequel that would end up getting near-unviersal acclaim and sell fantastucally (to the point of saving Platinum), I would've called you insane.

What a rollercoaster 2017 has been for gaming.

Nier even getting a sequel was a massive surprise.

Soar

Absolutely happy for them. Game is my GOAT, and after repeated playthroughs I am appreciating each route more and more, if that's even possible. The game may look sparse but the attention to detail is top notch.

Top Bottom