• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raise the flame shield: Your "controversial" gaming opinion.

Nizz

PS3 controller > Xbox 360 controller
For me as well. :) Also...

I can't find anything compelling about Final Fantasy games.

I can't seem to get into the more cartoony/mascot character type games. Games like Jak & Daxter, Ratchet & Clank, Sly Cooper.

Tomb Raider Anniversary-->> Uncharted 1.

Azure J

- Megaman's best visuals were in Megaman 8/Megaman & Bass. If they make another one that looks like that with the speed & level design of the 8 bit games, it'd easily be the best of the classic games.

- The farther Nintendo goes away from OoT, the better. Fans won't let them experiment if it doesn't result in their idea of an "OoT2" but get mad when its "hurr durr the saem shit gaiz". More Majora's Masks and Skyward Swords please. Even Windwaker which was a very direct sequel did a lot to shed ties to that instance in the franchise.

- Darkstalkers >>>>>> Street Fighter by a good green country mile. Also Makoto is the best fighting game character ever.

- Metroid Prime 2 suffers from Majora's Mask Syndrome. It's the best game in that series all because it builds on things introduced in the first, but goes chronically underrated in the face of the accolades poured onto Metroid Prime before it.

El Sloth

Banned
LittleBigPlanets jump physics are just fine for the game.

Fighting games shouldn't be patched with the same frequency that similar competitive games in other genres are. I think Super Street Fighter IV should have been allowed to stew for a bit longer before deciding to make major changes to characters.

Just to clarify I'm purely talking about balance patches not ones that would take out game breaking bugs or the like.

The new Razer tablet thing, project Fiona I think it's called, actually looks pretty interesting to me. Yeah, it looks pretty ugly as it does right now, but if they manage to make the controllers detachable and the tablet happens to also be just a decent tablet then I think it could end up being a pretty cool product. Probably expensive as shit though.

The Giantbomb podcast is only okay. The games they mostly talk about aren't really what I want to hear about the majority of the time.

Edit: Elena > Makoto. Just because.

*Big Post*
I'll give you this: You've got moxy coming into this thread with that tag.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
For me:

I don't think Nintendo is as innovative and groundbreaking as many claim they are, and truthfully think that they peaked during the SNES, and it was all downhill from there (as a guy who grew up on Nintendo through the 80's and through to the present, this hurts me to say more than you suspect). Their handhelds have been improving more than their consoles over the past three generations (although I did enjoy my Gamecube, despite only owning, like, 5 games for it...).

I actually really like Final Fantasy XII and XIII, LA Noire, and Heavy Rain.

I don't think Valve is the be all, end all of game publishers/developers like some folks do, but I do like them and what they've done for the industry through games like Half Life, Portal, and their Steam service.

I think companies like Bethesda, who routinely get away with releasing buggy products, yet get heaps of praise should suffer some kind of, I don't know, horrible punishment or something. Not as harsh as losing their jobs, but, maybe a hard spanking.

I also think the PS3 controller is better than the 360 controller, and in general, think the PS3 is the better system of the two.

That's about it for me. I'm not terribly controversial, to be honest.

Oh, I also like pretty video games. I grew up playing Pitfall on the Atari 2600 and Super Mario Bros on the NES. I've earned the right to want the gaming industry to wow me with it's technical evolution. I'm a graphics whore and proud of it.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
I don't like any Zelda games.

Final Fantasy VI is good, but over-rated.

Beyond Good & Evil isn't that great and I regret buying it on XBLA.

Looking back, none of the Halo games were actually that good either.

SimonM7

I dunno that controversial is the word, I'll rarely get confrontational enough with a minority opinion of mine to have it get to that point. I am, however, of the mind that Limbo is upsettingly overrated and to me embodies the very definition of style over substance. It's ironic, also, how it'll quickly come up in conversations about the exact opposite, cited as one of the big displays of depth and artistic nuance in video games.

I'm no stranger to such claims in regards to other games with actual coherent messaging and follow through on their artistic aspirations, so I'm not playing the pretension card in a casual dismissal of that type of stuff. It's just that in an ocean of indie games that do that type of stuff with greater conviction, I have to imagine Limbo was put on a pedestal by virtue of its XBLA and mainstream press exposition, propelled to pseudo-arthouse fame by striking visuals and cheap, haphazard allusions.

I didn't find the the fail-yourself-to-the-finish-line-centric gameplay remotely compelling either, deliberate and thematically justified though it may be. Unfulfilling is a word I'd use to describe it.

Actually this got sorta confrontational after all. :O Keep in mind I love you even if you disagree!

Seda

I could NOT get into Persona 3:FES. It is, to date, the only game I have stopped playing out of dislike and I ended up selling it (and I rarely sell games, never RPGs). It was my introduction to Shin Megami Tensei.

I actually kind of sort of feel bad for that. I think I will try it again, but I bought some other PS2 games I want to go through first.

I dunno that controversial is the word, I'll rarely get confrontational enough with a minority opinion of mine to have it get to that point. I am, however, of the mind that Limbo is upsettingly overrated and to me embodies the very definition of style over substance. It's ironic, also, how it'll quickly come up in conversations about the exact opposite, cited as one of the big displays of depth and artistic nuance in video games.

I'm no stranger to such claims in regards to other games with actual coherent messaging and follow through on their artistic aspirations, so I'm not playing the pretension card in a casual dismissal of that type of stuff. It's just that in an ocean of indie games that do that type of stuff with greater conviction, I have to imagine Limbo was put on a pedestal by virtue of its XBLA and mainstream press exposition, propelled to pseudo-arthouse fame by striking visuals and cheap, haphazard allusions.

I didn't find the the fail-yourself-to-the-finish-line-centric gameplay remotely compelling either, deliberate and thematically justified though it may be. Unfulfilling is a word I'd use to describe it.

Actually this got sorta confrontational after all. :O Keep in mind I love you even if you disagree!

This post is all true.

I like Braid, which gets similar complaints of being over rated, because the core mechanic was fun and as a puzzle game I think it succeeded. Limbo literally fails at everything bar looking and sounding good.

Azure J

Edit: Elena > Makoto. Just because.

Offtopic, I hate this match up so fucking much. WHY IS HER GROUND GAME SO FULL OF SHENANIGANS? :lol

To make this post have something of worth:

- Motion controls offer more varied game play experiences and I can respect them for that much when they're done well. Pointer controls however? They should have been the next joystick, but of course since they got introduced as both secondary to motion and a "part" of the motion experience, everyone had to jump the gun and potentially kill it before it could prosper.

- Smash (especially after N64) is a fighting game.

Mengetsu

Puts Flame suit on

-FFVII Is overrated.
-FFX is underrated.
-FFXII is overrated.
-Halo after 1 is overrated.
-Legend Of Zelda Wind Waker is underrated.
-RE4 was good but also the worst thing to happen to the series.
-JRPG's are loved but, the Madden/COD has taken over this generation of children.
-Call of duty series has made online play the best and worst this generation.
-Fighting Games are back DLC or not they are here to stay and will sell.
-Nintendo is under appreciated this generation.
-Graphics has broken most gamers spirits this generation.
-PS3 Vs 360 Has broken gamers values this generation.

squidyj

I appreciate a cinematic game more than a fun game.

It leaves a bigger impact on me. MGS4, Heavy Rain, Uncharted, some of my favourite games of this gen.

Absolutely 100% agreed although I feel sometimes MGS4 detracted from itself with some pretty wat scenes (marriage proposal lol).

Heavy Rain is my favourite game for PS3 as of now, it is the best.

I hate the fact that official threads cant have dissenting opinions about the game without everyone jumping down the critics' throat. I hate the people who demand game reviewers review a game without bias, yet they themselves cant do the same in most threads.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
The quest lines in Skyrim excluding the Daedric stuff are all garbage, and mostly everything in Oblivion outside of the Oblivion gates were better.

sp3000

Cryostasis has one of the best stories in any game ever made. Most of you will never play it because of it's high system requirements. Even fewer will actually bother to take the time to understand it.

However, those who do actually take some time to think about it will have experienced a story that's up there with Fyodor Dostoyevsky's works in it's attention to detail and it's ideas.

MGS series sucks compared to Splinter Cell. Not saying it's a bad series though.

Starcraft is the stupidest RTS series ever made, requiring a maximum of micro and a minimum of any semblance of large scale strategy beyond a build order. It's popular because it's easy to get into, much like COD. Command and Conquer, Homeworld, and Total Annihilation did far more to innovate the genre than it ever did. Naturally, they aren't as popular because they are more complicated.

Portal 2 was not worth more than 30.

In general, the more popular a game is leads to a good indication of how stupid it's players are.

Gears of War sequels all sucked. The first was only good because there wasn't another game like it at the time.

HL2 sucks compared to HL1.

Thief 3 is the best stealth game ever.

Unreal 2 wasn't a bad game. Neither was Invisible War. They are better than most of the games released these days.

Dragon Age 1 was an ok game, but at least it wasn't as bad as Dragon Age 2.

Skyrim is nothing more than a modded Oblivion with a slightly modified engine.

UDK is better than Minecraft.

Uncharted series has mind numbing gameplay and is likely more uninvolved than Call of Duty.

SimonM7

I like Braid, which gets similar complaints of being over rated, because the core mechanic was fun and as a puzzle game I think it succeeded. Limbo literally fails at everything bar looking and sounding good.

Yep, I love Braid. I was just afraid that mentioning that fact in my post would be me asking to be jumped in an alley by guys with switchblades.

ugoo18

COD in it's current form is a cancer to gaming.

An Exclusive should always remain just that an exclusive.

There i said it.

qq more

I've actually expected much worse from this thread, I'm kind of surprised.

Sonic 06 is better than Sonic Colors and Sonic Unleashed.

Oh my god... I still can't get over this.

Mega man 8 is one of the best mega man games ever and is much better than mega man and bass.

Okay, not so crazy as much as I hate Mega Man 8, it at least had one of the best levels of the series. (Tengu Man)

Unless you are 13 and can't afford better, portable gaming is waste of your time.

Fun is not the most important barometer for measuring a videogame; a though provoking game is more interesting than a fun game.

Welp. We have a winner.

Also, to add to the controversy thread:

-Pokemon Red/Blue are overrated and has not aged well.
-Pokemon Black/White is boring and Unova is the worst region ever. GS/HGSS and Platinum are still the best.
-Sonic 3D Blast is an underrated game. It's an okay game, not really bad.
-Sonic Advance 3 is also underrated, not great either It's better than Shitty Advance 2.
-Super Smash Bros Melee is so damn overrated.
-Mega Man 9 is great, but I think 10 is better.

6/1/13 EDIT: I feel sort of like an asshole looking back at this. After going back to Melee for a bit I can see the big appeal. I still like Brawl more, but Melee is still a damn great game and the combat feels more satisfying. Also 3D Blast probably deserves the hate it gets looking at Sega1991's stream the other night. The level design looks kind of sadistic sometimes. Though that game is definitely no Sonic 06.

As for Pokemon R/B, I still think it hasn't aged well but it's not really overrated seeing as how everyone seems to hate on it (and sometimes G/S :(). Though thinking about it... calling R/B dated isn't exactly controversial. What a silly thing to say!

Angry Fork

1. Red Dead Redemption is terrible.
2. Mario Galaxy is very weak. Not terrible or insufferable the way RDR was, but nothing compared to SM64 and a massive disappointment in every way.
3. FF13 is great/highly enjoyable. It has it's problems but the pros definitely outweigh the cons.
4. Mass Effect 2 was awful, almost as bad as Red Dead Redemption. Especially when compared to ME1 which had it's problems but was very good.
5. TF2 on PC is the best multiplayer game ever made.
6. Bioshock 2 was great and one of the best games of that year. Not as good as the first but a much worthy sequel. Even the multiplayer was good but the horrible netcode/lag killed any chance of me continuing to play it. Hoping for a part 3 set in Rapture to form a finished trilogy.

and this:

Most of those indie games like Limbo are beyond boring.

Mass effect is a piece of shit game.
I know gaf loves it but...

-The AI is appalingly bad, animations are really shit too but no the AI is on a whole new level of bad. In a game where you have the play with an AI squad the entire time the AI is kind of important...
-planets are 5 minutes of terrain tool in UE3, not even bothering with a smooth brush. + a skybox
-Barely any character exposition, none for many of the 'key' characters, no character growth
For a game so pretentious about its storytelling it does a really awful job at it.
-no effort in the design of ANYTHING except the normandy exterior, every level looks like some random meshes plunked down and copy pasted in some shitty bit of terrain
-terrible pacing (especially when you first get to the citadel but all the way throughout the game as well)
-I already played kotor almost 10 years ago, I don't need to play an inferior clone by the same company again.

Only spent 10 euros on it and I want my money back.
I know that feel bro, I spent 5 bucks on it. That could buy me 4 soft shell tacos and a gumball.

sp3000

Unless you are 13 and can't afford better, portable gaming is waste of your time.

Fun is not the most important barometer for measuring a videogame; a though provoking game is more interesting than a fun game.

Finally someone who shares this opinion. Let's be friends.

Oreoleo

Cryostasis has one of the best stories in any game ever made. Most of you will never play it because of it's high system requirements. Even fewer will actually bother to take the time to understand it.

I have an ATI card and played through the whole thing at 19 fps because of it. Come at me bro!

After reading through the whole thread none of this really seems controversial at all. In fact I've seen a lot of people with most of these opinions.

Every 3D Zelda game is boring as fuck.

Morrowind is just not a good game.

Metroid Prime is utterly mediocre.

I can count in one hand the number of good JRPGs that I've played. And I've played quit a bit.

Bayonetta is dull crap for people who enjoy easy combo gratification and brain dead AI. Vanquish is even worse.

Smash bros [all] is not a fighting game. It is a party game and a bad one at that. I've had way more fun playing Marvel with a bunch of friends than that shit.

Jump! Ultimate Stars does everything smash bros does but better, and it also has some really unique and interesting mechanics that help it stand on its own.

I hate Counter Strike because I'm terrible at it!

Killzone 2 is one of the worst games ever made. I'd say it belongs in the same category as Sonic 06. The input lag is so severe that the game is fundamentally broken. Killzone 3 fixes most of the extra input lag and is a much better game.

Psi

The only good sports game is Mutant League Football.

Online multiplayer is terrible compared to splitscreen/lan where everyone is in the same room.

Bgamer90

Banned
Sports video games make gameplay adjustments more regularly than games of other genres. Games of other genres usually rely heavily on new stories for their sequels (without having that many gameplay adjustments).

Pirabear

Banned
-Don't get the Giantbomb hype. A gaming site with goofy host is nothing new.

-I don't have a problem with Kingdom Heart's plot. Why people expected a cross world/franchise JRPG to not be convoluted, I'll never know.

-Don't care for most 1st party games from any of the big three in general. With the exception of the Dreamcast, my favorite games on any given system are mainly 3rd party.

-New Vega's janky-ness turned me off so much, I stopped less than 2 hours in and don't see myself giving it another shot anytime soon. I don't know how anyone can pull the "ambition" card for something that buggy.

Top Bottom