• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport is extremely limited in offline mode (no saves, unlocks, etc..)

Hanmik

I'm preeeeetty sure single player does save and Ars are wrong on that front. It just doesn't sync to the servers.

the Demo clearly stated that it would not save..

The servers went down when I played, and I got a message telling me that my progress would not be saved.. when I turned off the game, and started it again and the servers came back, my progress was gone (some drivers license tests)..

so it is not like that anymore?

IISANDERII

Here come the defenders.

How does a racing game not let you save unless you are online? In what reality does that make sense?

I'll admit that I'm always connected and there is very little chance I would ever be offline while playing any game in 2017, but this is still ridiculous.

This isn't Overwatch. That comparison is just dumb.
You don’t know how right you are. This is way above Overwatch, GTS is officially sanctioned by a sports’ governing body so its need to be compliant is many times greater than probably any other game.

...what??

The full game is exactly the same as the demo, in terms of save structure and how it handles online functionality.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!

I honestly thought the demo was restrictive because it's a demo and they want to lock the functionality of it to ensure no one plays it after the service goes down. If that's how the entire game is then I want none of it.

So here's my question, what will happen to GTS once it's online service goes down in a few years, is the game a paperweight?

You don't know how right you are. This is way above Overwatch, GTS is officially sanctioned by a sports' governing body so its need to be compliant is many times greater than probably any other game.

Thank you for this. There should be some furious googling after it.

It's an online focused game man... Who cares?

Those that suddenly hand waved loot crates when it turned out their favorite game was balanced around them...

Have people read anything about this game for months .
Plus being online ( not talk about PSN+ ) to save your progress has been normal for a while now.

danowat

Banned
How many people use their PS4s without being connected to the Internet? I mean with all the patches these days...
A tiny percentage, but don't let that stop everyone going bat shit crazy over it.
I get that some people dislike a game being (essentially) online only, so if it bothers you, then pick up something else.

More than the amount MS anticipated would always be online with the original Xbox One?

There's a difference between an online only game and an online only console.

Like I'm sure there are people who have access to incredibly poor or no Internet. Those people aren't playing Overwatch.

Have people read anything about this games for month .
Plus being online ( not talk about PSN+ ) to save your progress has normal for a while now.

No, people have not read anything about the game. I was going in blindly as it's known what GT games offer.

I hate the online-only focus of games these days. It's great to save progress online, but hindering offline progress useless is a shame.

ryseing

Why would they force you to be online then? Why can’t you save arcade mode progress?

It’s constructed to force people to play online which requires PS+

There’s nothing stopping them from letting you save offline except their arbitrary restrictions. It’s not like it’s technically impossible.

This game will just be a paperweight once they close the servers.

Plus membership isn't required. An online connection is. Significant difference.

Lack of offline saves has to do with how they're handling the progression, specifically the FIA stuff. I wouldn't be shocked if that was in the contract with the FIA as they don't want people cheating their way to an actual driver's license.

Is focusing even more on the eSports stuff a poor decision? Almost certainly. But saying "it's because Sony wants to sell more Plus memberships!" is absurd.

pixelation

Online = not the same as requires PS Plus

Yes you need an internet connection to sync your account progress. No you don't need a PS Plus sub to save your progress against the AI.

Yup, plus it's an online focused game and... who doesn't have internet in this day and age?

killroy87

A tiny percentage, but don't let that stop everyone going bat shit crazy over it.
I get that some people dislike a game being (essentially) online only, so if it bothers you, then pick up something else.

I'm seriously reading some of the replies and if I facepalm'd myself any harder my hand would go through my face. Talk about glass houses, holy shit.

There is nothing gamers love more than getting angry at something that will almost certainly never affect them.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I honestly thought the demo was restrictive because it's a demo and they want to lock the functionality of it to ensure no one plays it after the service goes down. If that's how the entire game is then I want none of it.

So here's my question, what will happen to GTS once it's online service goes down in a few years, is the game a paperweight?

I'm going to guess no. Any answer is a guess since we're talking about something that is four years out at minimum.

Blobbers

nothing_to_see_here_naked_gun.gif

There's a difference between an online only game and an online only console.

Like I'm sure there are people who have access to incredibly poor or no Internet. Those people aren't playing Overwatch.

There's a difference until there's not one. This is how acceptance of stuff like this gets started.

Do you seriously not know the difference?

What do you think? Open your eyes to what's going on. It's one game today, 5 games next year, every game 4 years from now. Or are you saying you're ok with companies testing the waters for requiring online at all times?

yep, me too:

SNECZnj.png

btw, that thread has more views that OT Forza 7 thread :)

Demo does not represent the final game at times. I did not like it one bit that I had the demo for a week and I only played for mere three hours because the servers kept on fucking up and I couldn't play the game at all since it required me to be connected online.

If that's representative for the final game then lol.

Doesn't matter that much. People love to get upset about this but it doesn't really affect anyone.

Tell that to all the people who couldn't play DriveClub at launch (and for up to a month afterwards) because the servers were dying constantly. "Doesn't really affect anyone" my ass.

The quote isn't exactly right. You can't save your game to the online servers, but arcade mode still works, and single-player progress is saved normally.

The demo was a little different. When the servers were down, everything was down. They explicitly said that the full game wouldn't have that issue.

If this is true, that's at least better--online required for online-only modes, fine. But this also directly contradicts the Ars Technica article, which says campaign mode is not accessible AT ALL and that unlocks and credits in arcade mode are not saved while offline. There are screenshots that literally say that progress is not saved while offline. The article also says Sony pointed them to a blog post about what's contained in the offline save (basically just game settings like resolution and volume) when asked for comment. So where are you getting your information from?

Also, this doesn't address the other claims in the article, like PHOTO MODE being locked behind online functionality. What possible reason is there to restrict PHOTO MODE? Even the stated reason of the FIA partnership requiring it doesn't make any sense.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
5 million is bad for GT standards.

Your claim was GTS and GT6 are what killed the series. so we're moving goal posts now? I mentioned that it came on the PS3 after the PS4 had already launched and if GT6 somehow killed the series, we wouldn't have GT Sport and I doubt Polyphony would still be open.

Hasn't this been known for months if you even did a modicum of research or digging into this game? I mean, they referenced a bunch of e-sports shit when it was announced, it's been clear where the focus was. Now, that might not be for you, and that's fine, but lets stop acting like people are being deceived here. They have a giant sticker on the box. They are being fairly transparent.

Ehker

Some of the people who ate defending this are ironically the ones who latched on the XBOX 1 always online feature
Online connection for an online focused game is not the same as a console with DRM for all games also hampering used game sales.

Hasn't this been known for months if you even did a modicum of research or digging into this game? I mean, they referenced a bunch of e-sports shit when it was announced, it's been clear where the focus was. Now, that might not be for you, and that's fine, but lets stop acting like people are being deceived here.

Yup.

c0de

I wonder what the actual reason is behind that? I mean, it is definitely a business decision rather than a technical one because why not do a local save? It's not like it would waste any resources on the console at all.

Zedark

It's 2017. This is a thing.
It still is bs in 2017, though.

Good thing I decided to now out in the end. Definitely don't like this trend of Locking single player offline content behind online to get people to pay the online ransom.

Gestault

As much as I think the communication around this game ended up being complicated because of the changes in scope over its development, I think PD has done a decent job getting out in front of realizations like this. The major challenge to them on the public discussion side has been the well-meaning enthusiasts fighting the clarifications at every step. Even realities explained clearly in the final demo, I saw people insisting that it would be different in the final game. There are/were confirmations all over the place letting people know it's primarily an online title, that the career is an advanced (and rewarding) skill tutorial, and not to expect track dynamics like changing weather or passage-of-time for the game as it launches. Which is fine for me when what's there is polished to a mirror finish. They'll be supporting the game with tons of post-launch additions/improvements.

(I do still dislike that the single-player stuff outside of the free-play mode need online.)

amdb00mer

Wait.... This can't be right...... There's no fucking way this is real......

Gotta be patched in. Could you imagine racing offline and earning a bit of credits? Then it not letting you save or thinking it auto-saved and you come back and are missing all those earned credits. I would bet this gets patched on Day 1.

I wonder what the actual reason is behind that? I mean, it is definitely a business decision rather than a technical one because why not do a local save? It's not like it would waste any resources on the console at all.

E-sports.

I just saw an article about the reason why very brief on Arstechnica

"The reasoning behind the move has to do with the linkup between Gran Turismo and the FIA, the international organization that runs world motorsport. FIA-recognized e-sports are an integral part of the game, so keeping everyone's saves in the cloud is meant to keep everyone honest and above-board."

See above.

Yes it does. Gran Turismo came out as a game that you could play to immerse yourself in car culture and escape and not deal with others optionally.

Did you try it? Because this has car--and racing culture--in spades.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Good thing I decided to now out in the end. Definitely don't like this trend of Locking single player offline content behind online to get people to pay the online ransom.

They did not lock single player out. You can play every bit of single player content you want in this game without a PS plus subscription.

Top Bottom