• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which is your favorite game and do you think it will ever get dethroned?

Kneefoil

My current favourite GoAT is The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask. And of course it can be dethroned.

Ocarina of Time was my all-time favourite for almost ten years. After replaying it so many times, and after playing so many other great games, its ranking has dropped drastically. It's nowhere near my top 10 video games list, and even whenever I rank just Zelda games, it usually ends up at #6 or #7, IIRC. I don't see why the same thing couldn't happen to Majora's Mask.

Raven117

For me personally, no. Mine are Chrono Trigger and FFVI. I played them when I was 12 and 13 respectively. The perfect age for this.

You can say that the only reason I pick up a controller at all anymore is to simply try and recreate those feelings of wonder.

A few games have done this for me since.

Demon's Souls was the first in a long time to do it.
Witcher 3 as well.

A handfull of others.

nickerous

Nooooooooooooope.

Mine too and probably not. Nothing has come close to going down that shaft at the beginning and thinking, "What happened here" and seeing what was left of mother brain from the first metroid and realizing, "I happened here...I did this". Put that with the music/rest of the game and it is the best there is, the best there was, and quite possibly the best there ever will be....(I'm watching 1997 Raw on the WWE Network).

Favorite Game is basically an impossible question for me. There's so many games I love, all for different reasons. Right now it might be Breath of the Wild, but ask me this question later today and it might be To The Moon, or XCOM 2, or Super Mario World.

So yeah, my Favorite Game is constantly in a state of flux and dethroned moment to moment.

Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap. And it will never be dethroned because I will never feel the same about games as I felt in my childhood.

Shotpun

Fallout 2.

And sure it could be dethroned, just give Obsidian a good engine, enough time and resources and ask them to make a new open world Fallout game with grittier and less civilized setting than these modern Fallout games have.

Fallout: New Vegas

Likely to be dethroned? If Fallout 4 is any indication, no, not a big chance. That would require them to improve their writing, their world building, their quest design, and that they don't jump on the Games as a Service train anymore then they already have done.

It could possibly be dethroned by Cyperpunk 2077, depending on the direction CD Projekt takes with it.

Sid Meier's Pirates

Don't think it will be, even if devs try. Don't think they understand what made it so good. The useage of the map, different time periods, the silver train, the treasure fleet, the career building, the highscore list, etc. Maybe Mount&Blade 2 could have some of those influences, but it's probably to multiplayer oriented for that.

Jagged Alliance 2

If Firaxis continues with XCOM games, then perhaps. XCOM2 had many similarities with it

Monkey Island 2

Not really. Don't think there's an audience large enough, with the patience required for these games, for it to be realistic to hopefull. It would require a Witcher III class game to enter that genre, without anyone expecting it.

Portal 1

Could happen, definitely think that. There's a market for that kind of game, and there's plenty of devs with resources enough for it.

Super Metroid. There's too much to write about it so no. Deus Ex usd to come in a close second but some aspects haven't aged well whereas I find Super Metroid basically perfect. RE4 and Portal 1 round my list off but they can't touch the brilliance that is Super Metroid.

I fully don't expect anything to surpass till we have real a VR revolution

RooMHM

Half-Life. I don't see how it could be possible in any dimension. All the more now Valve is "gone".
HL2 was an amazing attempt though.

MGS2. I don't expect it but it's certainly possible. At times, I've had trouble determining my favorite game between it and my other favorite, FFXV, so I may already consider it dethroned to some degree. Divinity OS 2 has really swept me off my feet, PUBG is improving with each update, Dragon Ball FighterZ is literally the game of my dreams based on what I've seen, so yeah I can easily see opportunities for it to be dethroned, within the next several months alone.

God of War 3

And no, I don't think it will ever get dethroned. The whole game felt like a finale to the awesome God of War 2. The opening sequence is the single best and most spectacular section of any game ever made. It's also the best conclusion to one of the most amazing cliffhangers ever made. The whole game is pure epicness. You kill all the gods while the whole world around you colapses step-by-step.

Gameplay is ace, too. Fantastic combat, some of the most epic bossfights ever made, great platforming and minigames.

And it was easily the best looking game of it's time and still holds up well to this day.

WestEgg

I really don't think Ocarina of Time can be dethroned. Not because the game is higher quality than anything else that's come since, but because I'm never again going to be 9 years old, having my mind blown by an immersive 3D adventure the likes of which had never before been seen (I actually played Zelda before Mario 64). Bigger things have come since, but I don't think that kind of leap in just redefining what my expectations for a video game could be will ever happen again. Ocarina didn't just raise the bar, it put the bar on a damn rocket ship and flew it to the moon.

Akronis

Half Life and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. SoC.

HL for just linear SP goodness and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. for the quality emergent survival horror open world goodness.

I don't think either will be dethroned, but I'd love for someone to. I need another HL or S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

pablito

Final Fantasy Tactics

I can see something dethroning it, as The Witcher 3 came close. Considering that I'm looking forward to Cyberpunk 2077 far more than I ever was TW3, and how good TW3 turned out to be, it has a shot.

Super metroid and probably not, despite pumping 3 straight years into destiny, nothing hits me in the feels like super metroid.

And before anyone calls out nostalgia goggles, i played it for the 1st time in 2010. And im 35.

Majin Boo

Ocarina of Time.
I don't think anything will dethrone it. As others have said, experiencing a masterpiece like that at a young age is just too powerful. Entering Hyrule Field for the first time and running towards Hyrule Castle as the sun sets will always be my fondest gaming memory.

Super Metroid is my favorite game of all time.

I won't say that it will never be topped, but nothing else has even come close so far. Not within a country mile. I replay Super Metroid every few months or so. It's so beautiful.

BumRush

Final Fantasy VI and I doubt it. Games meant something entirely different to me when I played FFVI for the first time as a kid. I still enjoy videogames, but as an adult with a wife, kids, bills, etc. they don't have the same magic they once did.

Stalker, Mount & Blade and Civilization. All three unreached it its genre up to date to me. Dont know if a game gets me hooked again like these that time i discovered them. Zelda botw is doing that maybe at the moment (80 hrs in, half of the map). No hype, just videogame perfection.

Gothic gets a special point, best pc rpg ive played and am waiting for it to be dethroned.

I don't see anything coming close to the experience of vanilla World of Warcraft but I can't go back and play it due to the community being such a significant part of the package.

In terms of revisitable games, my GOAT is probably Castlevania SotN. I mean its POSSIBLE to dethrone. Zelda BotW came close, and after time could surpass it.

Street Fighter Alpha 3 and Super Turbo and III 3rd Strike are my favorite fighters and the move from 2D sprites nearly cements them but if someone can make Skullgirls, I guess it could happen too.

Half Life 2 and its episodes are IMO the finest games I've ever played.

Have they been dethroned? Yes, by a multitude of games, but nothing will come close to the experience that Valve crafted.

Even RE4 IMO beats HL2 when it comes to the actual gameplay. Games like The Last of Us has surpassed Valve in environmental storytelling. However I don't hold these games in the same regard as HL2. I played it a the perfect moment in my life where it really resonated with me.

FiveSide

Banned
My twin pillars are SMT: Nocturne on the artsy side and Resident Evil 4 on the entertainment side. I'll gladly bump them down a slot if something better comes along, but I just absolutely, utterly, do not believe they will ever be topped for the foreseeable future. Maybe I'm just a cynic.

sublimit

Banned
Thoughts on TLG?

I loved it but just like SOTC and (especially) Ico it's not for everyone. And i'm not saying this in an elitist manner at all.

I understand most of its criticisms but personally i just either flat out don't agree with them or i don't care enough for the few flaws it does have to make me not see the things it actually does right (which for me are much more important than its flaws).

The Legend of Zelda (NES)

Will it get dethroned? Maybe. Bloodborne and Breath of the Wild came really close and if I'm honest with myself, they're probably both better games.

Surfinn

Half Life 2 and its episodes are IMO the finest games I've ever played.

Have they been dethroned? Yes, by a multitude of games, but nothing will come close to the experience that Valve crafted.

Even RE4 IMO beats HL2 when it comes to the actual gameplay. Games like The Last of Us has surpassed Valve in environmental storytelling. However I don't hold these games in the same regard as HL2. I played it a the perfect moment in my life where it really resonated with me.

I think it's hard to compare HL to other games in terms of storytelling, honestly. It's such a unique approach. Which makes it incredibly hard to beat, for me. I love that style so much

Top Bottom