• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns (Mercury Steam, Metroid 2 reimagining, 9/15) announced for 3DS

Cerium

TRAILER

September 15.

Revealed and demoed on Treehouse.

Some extra footage along with some developer related stuff/Sakamoto giving more details - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEV7DYlFjFs
https://nintendotreehouse.tumblr.com/post/161796687927/up-close-and-personal-with-samus-aran

A short blog post by Nate Bihldorff talking about playing Metroid and then getting hands-on with this.

Gameplay Details:

• 2.5D graphics
  • Based on Metroid II, you still have the Metroid counter
  • Rather than the old rumbling earthquakes, there are Chozo gates where you place Metroid DNA obtained from killed Metroids to modify the world
  • Free aiming of the beam rather than being locked to angles (audio cue and highlight when pointed at enemy)
  • Pickups now automatically pulled in without charge beam
  • A melee move that can be used to counter and stun enemies that get too close to you or charge you, boss fights have QTE counters and finishers
  • Enemies killed after counters will drop more pickups
  • Some bosses will have sparkles that briefly appear that, if hit, will drop health/missiles mid fight for you
  • Beam switching (power and ice shown)
  • Place colored pins on the map
  • Fast travel points known as teleport stations
  • "Aeion abilities," powers that have to be replenished with pickups similar to health and missiles
  • One example is a pulse that outlines unexplored parts of map in a 10x10 grid around you and will highlight things like bombable blocks on the current screen
  • Another is a shield that powers up your melee and absorbs damage in exchange for draining your Aeion meter
Flashback: MercurySteam Has Been Working On A Metroid Prototype For Wii U And 3DS

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Well this is gonna piss off some folks.

You thought the outrage over Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon was bad? Wait until this shitstorm start brewing.

I fucking LOVE surprise Treehouse Live announcements. Last year Rhythm Heaven Megamix was my announcement of the show.

WHY WAS THIS NOT IN THE SPOTLIGHT?

Because the spotlight was for Switch games.

Regginator

Metroid 2 remake? ...Why? I mean I'll take it, anything better than nothing at all for 13 years. But why not something new, why not Metroid 5? :(

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Dammit Nintendo, let me buy this for my Switch! Not getting a 3DS for it, so I guess I'll just have to wait for MP4.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
well, sad that it's not on the switch. same graphics but higher res would have been enough for me

but then it will be my last 3DS game. gonna dust off the 3DS and charge it.

Dies Iræ

WHY WAS THIS NOT IN THE SPOTLIGHT?

tumblr_n7ege5vDJx1r8suc9o2_r1_500.gif

Top Bottom