• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 Beta |OT| Garry's Mod

What's the best class?

Results are only viewable after voting.

RemiLP

quick question...

Why are we respawning in the strike when the kabal just took our light?

Isnt that the whole point of the big kabal guys speech at the end of the storry, when he said we simply forgot to be afraid of death?

quick question...

Isnt that the whole point of the big kabal guys speech at the end of the storry, when he said we simply forgot to be afraid of death?
Strike takes place later on in the story no idea what happens in between.
Also since the traveler is still around just weakened its reasonable to assume guardians just have weakened powers. Not that they no longer have light at all.

Freeman76

Yeah but the game still needs fun weapons. Luke Smith and the rest of the team took out all the fun from weaponry in The Taken King so I hope they aren't repeating that in the full game. Gunplay can only go so far if the weapons don't feel fun to use.

Define fun though.

I find all the weapons in the beta fun. Fair enough the exo you get at the start of the mission isnt the best but its only the same as a suros from D1.

quick question...

As has been said, Strike takes place later in the storyline.

Also, this isn't a choose your own adventure where failing at any part will mean Gameover.

RemiLP

As has been said, Strike takes place later in the storyline.

Also, this isn't a choose your own adventure where failing at any part will mean Gameover.

no of course not, that would be unplayable for everyone :p But the closest thing to no light we have is the "dark zones", where you cant be revived.

It seems so pointless to have that intro to the game, if they will just ignore it the very next turn.

But as you both said, i didnt think about the fact that we dont play this in the same order as we would in the full game, so they might give us a reason for this.

ZehDon

I spent a couple of hours with the PvP mode, to try and look a bit deeper into the dual primary weapon system. The distinct traits of each weapon class makes for very minute differences in situational effectiveness, which the walled off experience of the PvP mode shine a spotlight on. For example, the subtle difference in immediate DPS of the SMG against other weapons is useful in finishing off a damaged opponent compared to reloading. This option wasn't available in D1, because your alternative weapon was a special, which you didn't always have ammo for. The longer range of the scout rifle makes a good opener, and swapping to a pulse or auto rifle for mid-close range changes things up. The differences in weapons are basically non-existent across a long enough time line, but taken in moment-to-moment effectiveness, and due to the hyper-limited aspect of this mode in D2, those difference add up quickly. It's certainly subtle, but it rewards map knowledge, weapon knowledge, and situational awareness significantly more than D1 ever did, and so I think, at least for now, it appears to have a decent ceiling. It's slower, more tactical, and less bombastic than D1's PvP, which could feel like a crap shoot with all the one hit kills flying around. Some people are going to like it more, some people are going to like it less. It's different in how much it rewards focus, but I feel like it at least rewards you for playing well, as opposed to handing out partition medals in the form of one-hit kills on a short timer.

The super and grenade cool downs I'm of two minds about. On one side, D2 feels quite different, and very much it's own beast, with it's own mindset. If Bungie want to put a laser focus on skillful gunplay, they should embrace it and keep the timers as long as they are. Guns and a player's skill with them determine the outcome of matches currently. Shortening the cool downs for grenades and supers opens up the one-hit kill spam from D1, and shifts the focus. Gunplay would go from the near-single determining factor, to simply an element of success in PvP. Coupled with the power curb of gear to come, this might eventually turn D2 back into D1 after we're all geared up and max levelled. For my preference, I'd prefer Bungie stay the course and keep things the way they are now. I can only die to random super, grenade, melee, rocket, or special weapon rounds, so many times.

For all the good Bungie have done with the changes to PvP mode, they're all the wrong choices for the PvE aspect. Replaying the campaign mission after a few hours in PvP, and it's evident Bungie are simply wrong. The slower pace of the PvP mode doesn't suit the narrative Bungie are framing. We're grunts here, not legends. We're not aggressive, pushing forward, taking the fight to the enemy. We're plodding bullet hoses, having to take cover until the regen system tells us we're OKed to keep playing. The minute differences in the weapon classes that have room to be felt in PvP are utterly lost amongst the noise of the campaign. The weapon dance of the original Destiny is lost, and with it, the moments that I loved from Destiny. Swapping to a shotgun to drop a charging enemy instead of pulling back. Making a tactical jump-retreat, while still firing offensively, and dodging enemy fire instead of taking cover while your shields charge. Sliding into a special ammo drop, reloading while jumping, and letting a Fusion rifle blast clear a wave of adds before you hit the ground. The dual primary system simply doesn't allow for any of that. Heavy weapons are for bosses. The rest of the time, it's primaries. I tried to re-create as much of my favourite moments as I could, but it's just empty. The weapons are balanced and homogenised to such a degree that swapping weapons has only a single discernible advantage: not reloading. Pulse rifle to hand cannon. Auto rifle to SMG. It's all the same. And multiple play throughs of the campaign mission just highlights how utterly uninteresting the sandbox is with such limited tools. The "excitement" now comes from scripted moments. Enemies bursting through doors. Unexpected Drop pods. Timed ambushing mob spawns. Rather than the combat sandbox offering up organic moments that shine, fueled at its core by the fantastic weapons, the system now falls back on pre-designed moments that Bungie insert. I simply loathe the thought of "daily story missions" now. At least D1 fell back onto it's combat sandbox to carry the game. Fueled by the Primary, Special, and Heavy weapon system, D1 was simply exciting to play, even during the worst story missions. Destiny 2 has mitigated the sandbox with its dual primary system, and now appears to be falling back on scripting to make up the difference.

I've only cleared the strike once, so I wanna go through a few more times before I give deeper thought to it, but I feel that the strike is the "real" sandbox test. At a surface glance, this is not filling me with confidence. The dual primary system is just too damn limited. The moments I loved are just absent, replaced by shoot, take cover, reload. Shoot, take cover reload. Shoot, take cover, reload. I swapped guns half way through because I was bored, rather than necessity. The differences in primary weapons are not big enough nor exciting enough to carry the primary moment-to-moment experience of the game. And by extension, they're not enough to fuel the loot grind. I hope I find something more beneath the surface.

I feel like Destiny 2 is Destiny 1 with everything down-turned to 7, instead of cranked up to 11. If I had to guess, I think Bungie learned that if they let the power curve grow too high, they can't control the sandbox anymore. I think Destiny 1 simply got crazier than they expected, so they reigned everything in. Year 1 exotic weapons being so much more powerful, interesting, and by extension sought after, than anything they added to the game since, is a sign of this. It feels like they'd simply rather everyone has differently named assault rifles with minute differences, than another Thorn or Ghorn turning the sandbox on its head, and they tuned the entire game accordingly. For balancing the game and keeping Bungie in control, that makes perfect sense. They can guarantee your experience, and by extension, ensure that they know what they need to do to feed their player base: bigger numbers and assault rifles with new names. Destiny 2 is a reboot that wants to turn down the volume. It's taken someone like me and made me interested in PvP, because I feel like my skill matters, so there's merit in some of their choices. But it's made me disinterested in PvE, and that's a pretty crazy change.

Makikou

I think this has to be the most well-thought out post of D2 critique so far.

And I agree with pretty much everything that it says.

eizarus

Banned
I'm watching a Planet Destiny video (https://youtu.be/6Ia741akxqc) and one of the D2 Devs said that the Beta build we're playing is already months old and not representative of the current build (at the time of beta release). A lot of the concerns have already been addressed like PvE enemy health, grenades and so on.

Pandy

quick question...

It's from later in the game. Stuff happens in between, apparently.

Deku Tree

I was worried that D2 would ruin my life like D1 did.

I should say thanks, Bungie, for making D2 PvE gameplay shit, now I can feel confident that D2 won’t ruin my life.

Go outside I guess? Yay!

Nothus

Not at all. It has a steep learning curve. If you use all the combo's available to you.
Its a beast. You have speed, movement, close range attacks, long range attacks and large area attacks.

How do you do long range and area attacks? What are the button presses?

All I've been doing are R1 melees and also the dodge into a melee to create the arc bursts.

Freeman76

I was worried that D2 would ruin my life like D1 did.

I should say thanks, Bungie, for making D2 PvE gameplay shit, now I can feel confident that D2 won’t ruin my life.

Go outside I guess? Yay!

Lol jesus! Some of this thread is hard to take seriously but this is just taking the piss

Theorry

So fun to do haha.

4lyV0IL.gif

IISANDERII

Sounds like burn out, you probably played D1 loads and D2 isnt different enough. I cant see a problem with any of this beta, its more of the same but refined.

Maybe you should wait it out a few months before buying it cheap down the road.
I haven't played Destiny in a very long time, I never even bought any DLC.
I was looking forward to seeing all the additions since vanilla Destiny so I'm very underwhelmed.

Gothos

I'm watching a Planet Destiny video (https://youtu.be/6Ia741akxqc) and one of the D2 Devs said that the Beta build we're playing is already months old and not representative of the current build (at the time of beta release). A lot of the concerns have already been addressed like PvE enemy health, grenades and so on.

I think we all expected those things (power ammo, enemy hp, grenades, etc) to change because they are quite easy to change since it's simply a matter of adjusting numbers. The biggest gripe people have with D2 is new weapon system and that will not be changed in the release.

leng jai

Enjoyed the campaign mission well enough, but I'm disappointed to see Bungie stubbornly cling to its long standing tradition of not having audio sliders. It's not reasonable to think that one sound mix will be balanced for all sound systems and setups, but they continue to do it anyway. The weapon sounds are way too quiet and the ambient sounds too loud and I can do nothing about it.

What? I get the exact opposite.

Melchiah

For all the good Bungie have done with the changes to PvP mode, they're all the wrong choices for the PvE aspect. Replaying the campaign mission after a few hours in PvP, and it's evident Bungie are simply wrong. The slower pace of the PvP mode doesn't suit the narrative Bungie are framing. We're grunts here, not legends. We're not aggressive, pushing forward, taking the fight to the enemy. We're plodding bullet hoses, having to take cover until the regen system tells us we're OKed to keep playing. The minute differences in the weapon classes that have room to be felt in PvP are utterly lost amongst the noise of the campaign. The weapon dance of the original Destiny is lost, and with it, the moments that I loved from Destiny. Swapping to a shotgun to drop a charging enemy instead of pulling back. Making a tactical jump-retreat, while still firing offensively, and dodging enemy fire instead of taking cover while your shields charge. Sliding into a special ammo drop, reloading while jumping, and letting a Fusion rifle blast clear a wave of adds before you hit the ground. The dual primary system simply doesn't allow for any of that. Heavy weapons are for bosses. The rest of the time, it's primaries. I tried to re-create as much of my favourite moments as I could, but it's just empty. The weapons are balanced and homogenised to such a degree that swapping weapons has only a single discernible advantage: not reloading. Pulse rifle to hand cannon. Auto rifle to SMG. It's all the same. And multiple play throughs of the campaign mission just highlights how utterly uninteresting the sandbox is with such limited tools. The "excitement" now comes from scripted moments. Enemies bursting through doors. Unexpected Drop pods. Timed ambushing mob spawns. Rather than the combat sandbox offering up organic moments that shine, fueled at its core by the fantastic weapons, the system now falls back on pre-designed moments that Bungie insert. I simply loathe the thought of "daily story missions" now. At least D1 fell back onto it's combat sandbox to carry the game. Fueled by the Primary, Special, and Heavy weapon system, D1 was simply exciting to play, even during the worst story missions. Destiny 2 has mitigated the sandbox with its dual primary system, and now appears to be falling back on scripting to make up the difference.

I've only cleared the strike once, so I wanna go through a few more times before I give deeper thought to it, but I feel that the strike is the "real" sandbox test. At a surface glance, this is not filling me with confidence. The dual primary system is just too damn limited. The moments I loved are just absent, replaced by shoot, take cover, reload. Shoot, take cover reload. Shoot, take cover, reload. I swapped guns half way through because I was bored, rather than necessity. The differences in primary weapons are not big enough nor exciting enough to carry the primary moment-to-moment experience of the game. And by extension, they're not enough to fuel the loot grind. I hope I find something more beneath the surface.

I feel like Destiny 2 is Destiny 1 with everything down-turned to 7, instead of cranked up to 11. If I had to guess, I think Bungie learned that if they let the power curve grow too high, they can't control the sandbox anymore. I think Destiny 1 simply got crazier than they expected, so they reigned everything in. Year 1 exotic weapons being so much more powerful, interesting, and by extension sought after, than anything they added to the game since, is a sign of this. It feels like they'd simply rather everyone has differently named assault rifles with minute differences, than another Thorn or Ghorn turning the sandbox on its head, and they tuned the entire game accordingly. For balancing the game and keeping Bungie in control, that makes perfect sense. They can guarantee your experience, and by extension, ensure that they know what they need to do to feed their player base: bigger numbers and assault rifles with new names. Destiny 2 is a reboot that wants to turn down the volume. It's taken someone like me and made me interested in PvP, because I feel like my skill matters, so there's merit in some of their choices. But it's made me disinterested in PvE, and that's a pretty crazy change.

Well put. I couldn't agree more. Too bad I'm not at all interested in PVP, so I have no reason to get the sequel that plays very differently from what I enjoyed.

dyergram

Armor affects your Agility, Armor, and Recovery now, not your ability cool downs. There is room for exotics to change cooldown periods, sure, but that would be entirely speculative.

As it stands, there is no known way to wear gear to reduce cooldowns on abilities.
The upgrade shards do this the titan has a unlockable where grenade kills recharge grenades. Also there's no reason why armour couldn't affect cool downs we've seen like two sets per class.

Theorry

Armor affects your Agility, Armor, and Recovery now, not your ability cool downs. There is room for exotics to change cooldown periods, sure, but that would be entirely speculative.

As it stands, there is no known way to wear gear to reduce cooldowns on abilities.

ntESopV.png

Nye1DsB.png

IKm0kUa.png

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
isn't that an effect of the weapon and not the agility/armor/recovery stats?

either way it's good to know we can still somewhat improve the timers.

Enjoyed the campaign mission well enough, but I'm disappointed to see Bungie stubbornly cling to its long standing tradition of not having audio sliders. It's not reasonable to think that one sound mix will be balanced for all sound systems and setups, but they continue to do it anyway. The weapon sounds are way too quiet and the ambient sounds too loud and I can do nothing about it.

Are you sure your sound system is set up properly? This sounds like you may have your console set up to output 5.1 and your audio receiver/speakers are only outputting the L/R channels or something.

The audio mix seemed fine to me with both headphones and speakers, I've played on both Xbox and PS4 and didn't experience what you're talking about - adjusting your speakers/audio receiver/audio output type may fix your issue.

Beta done. Not invested in all the changes so dunno the nuances, so to me felt like Destiny 1.5 (sorry but easy shorthand). Eeehh, think it will take the same space as D1 for me: so near, yet so far.

Top Bottom