• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT2| A Dutch Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

dl77

I think if Bot is 1st and Ham is 2nd they'll leave them like it still. If it looks (as it has before) like Bot is getting dropped by the cars ahead the'll get him to move over for Lewis again as they've done before. There may not be a caveat that Lewis give it back though.

I think that after the Hungaroring there would have been a meeting about that very subject. It was ridiculous to expect Hamilton to give the place back when he had clearly outpaced Bottas and left him a long way behind. If it hadn't been for that he'd now have a lead of over 30 points. Fair play that he did it but Mercedes should have stepped in and told them to keep position.

Mohonky

the only way he is winning any of the remaining races this season is if Hamilton has a DNF or is behind Vettel and they can't safely swap

It was a weird start to the season, Bottas was great in his wins and Hamilton just looked like he was having one of those 'on it or nowhere' type seasons, but he's definitely come back from the break in pretty formiddable form.

If he slips back to start of the year form at some point I think Bottas might have a win in him but I dont think any driver could really hang with Hamilton when he's on it, but Hamilton can be a bit hot and cold depending on his mindset and when it came to the wheel to wheel racing Rosberg lost out every time; its just keeping Hamilton in the zone that seems to be the hard part. That's maybe where Bottas is struggling at the moment and what Rosberg warned him about when Rosberg decided to retire after winning, just that constant pressure.

Its been interesting this year, despite the points difference, Verstappen has had the measure of Ricciardo, if it werent for DNFs, he'd be ahead for sure. Ricciardos dogged attempt to make something from nothing and just keep hanging in there is his best quality but raw speed Max has him.

I think after next year is going to be interesting, I cant see Raikkonen staying and if Vettel cant deliver a WDC by then, I dare say they'll be looking for a driver like Verstappen with pure speed to put in the car whether Vettel likes it or not.

I like Bottas but a Ricciardo in a Merc would be smart, his speed may not quite be as quick as Verstappen but his ability to consistently deliver points will be something that fits the Merc outfit of wanting WCC more than WDC. I also think Ham and Ric would get along better than Ham and Max, though Ham and Max and Vet and Max would both be volatile, more so I think with Vet as they are both known to completely disregard team orders and drive very aggressively.

Any of those 4 guys in the same teams together in a WDC contending car would be...interesting for team management.

Bottas is just very measured, it will be interesting to see if Merc would be prepared to drop Bottas when he and Ham seem to be fairly calm and composed, or Merc drop Bottas and go for the full on headache that is pairing Hamilton with a Max or Ric, though especially Max. Putting Max beside Vettel or Hamilton is a 100% gauranteed way to set yourself up for friendly fire on track.

Jezbollah

Father admits Palmer eyeing Williams seat

A Stroll/Palmer duo would be a dream team.

Calling Dr Jonathan Palmer "father" understates the above - JP is a very savvy businessman who owns the majority of major racing circuits in the U.K. via Motorsports Vision, and is likely for the reason that Jolean has a water tight contract.

If they're targeting Williams, then I'd say they have a leg up on anyone else potentially in the driver market for '18

Aiii

So not worth it
Williams signing Palmer would be the perfect way to kill off that team, go full pay driver, they are one Mastercard sponsorship away from turning into Lola.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Well, if all that money would go into development of the car, it'll eventually be consistently good. Maybe. Would like to see Williams back into contention again in my lifetime.

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
How much money does Palmer bring to a team? Surely, it can't be as much as Stroll to warrant any serious consideration. I read somewhere that Kubica was also angling for the Williams seat.

frontieruk

Williams signing Palmer would be the perfect way to kill off that team, go full pay driver, they are one Mastercard sponsorship away from turning into Lola.

Guess the bill they racked up having Maldonado as a driver was bigger than we thought.

This is what happened when an IndyCar team had a driver lineup consisting of two paydrivers + Takuma Sato in 2010:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9BmgSit9cA

What a great way to pay tribute to the Lotus name and legacy guys.

To be fair I hate that fucking tyre wall at long beach in forza...

That is one hot looking car........

Hugh Grant, is that you?

Martini Will also have a say in the matter. They're the ones bankrolling Williams.

One article last week said that while Martini was the title sponsor, they weren't paying anywhere near what most other teams' title sponsors were paying.

Hopefully Kubica ends up in the Williams seat; Kubica might still have the potential to be great, Palmer will remain spectacularly average wherever he ends up.

No more news on Button? With Alonso seemingly staying, Williams seems his only option if he's returning.

Jezbollah

I think Button has GG'd out of F1 now. Given we've seen so little from him since Monaco makes me think that way anyway.

No way Williams gets rid of the Strolls - that money is critical for next year especially when whatever deal they hashed out with Mercedes to release Bottas expires.

I think Button has GG'd out of F1 now. Given we've seen so little from him since Monaco makes me think that way anyway.

No way Williams gets rid of the Strolls - that money is critical for next year especially when whatever deal they hashed out with Mercedes to release Bottas expires.

It's only a few weeks since Button said he was driving a full season next year (without specifying what series).

Remember, Stroll Sr. has been rumoured to be interested in buying Force India...

Dr.Phibes

Unfortunately Kubica has next to nothing sponsorship wise. I'd say this and the available Williams seat are the reasons Rosberg is now involved.

Jibbed

Unfortunately Kubica has next to nothing sponsorship wise. I'd say this and the available Williams seat are the reasons Rosberg is now involved.

Right now, yeah.

I'm sure there'll be many businesses interested in jumping on the bandwagon when his comeback story is the real deal.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
One article last week said that while Martini was the title sponsor, they weren't paying anywhere near what most other teams' title sponsors were paying.

I doubt they have much to give, other than legacy. Who buys Martinis any more?

hadareud

The Translator
I doubt it. I think Stroll will do well next season, he seems far more talented than he's being given credit for.

No worse than Vandoorne. Probably better.

FrankCanada97

Stroll should have went to F2 this year. In any case, I doubt it would have taken him 4 years to win the F2 championship like Palmer did. And that is taking into account that the 2014 GP2 field was garbage.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Father admits Palmer eyeing Williams seat

A Stroll/Palmer duo would be a dream team.

OMG just fuck off and leave F1 already.

I'm sure there'll be many businesses interested in jumping on the bandwagon when his comeback story is the real deal.

Nah, if you're taking Kubica you're doing this for his talent (which I believe still exists), not for the money. In F1 he always had only (small) personal sponsors and I don't see that changing even with the positive PR if they'd hire him.

Chris R

so you're saying night Monaco?

I'd be fine with a night Monaco race, but then again Monaco is usually one of two European races I'd wake up for so I can watch it, the Indy 500 and the Coke 600 live all day long.

Didn't this year since I was out of town on vacation :(

DBT85

Honda do words

"Working with McLaren, I've realised that they are a very big company which is very systematic," Honda's head of motorsport Masashi Yamamoto said. "It's obviously very strong because of that but at the same time they can find it hard to adapt to change.

"Compare that to Toro Rosso, it is a company that is growing. It is very important for us to work in partnership together, heading towards the same goal.

"Take this for an example: If we compare both teams with different cuisines, let's say McLaren is a very sophisticated French cuisine, that's the way it is. Then Toro Rosso is more like a countryside, homemade delicious stew where you can add new ingredients. We're excited to do that."

Yagami_Sama

So, Honda's Engine was not that good, because McLaren is "BiG" and now hence Toro Rosso is a small teen, their engine will be top notch ?

Like, hence McLaren wanted to win races their engine did not fit, and considering that Torro Rosso goal is score some points, their engine will fit ?

It maybe be me but, this statement sounded like Wax, is not Honda's engine which is weak is McLaren gear box which ruined everything, plus Vandoorne.

s_mirage

Criticising Mclaren for not adapting to change sounds a bit rich coming from Honda. Weren't they the ones refusing to listen to outside engineers who were attempting to help them with their design problems?

frontieruk

So, Honda's Engine was not that good, because McLaren is "BiG" and now hence Toro Rosso is a small teen, their engine will be top notch ?

Like, hence McLaren wanted to win races their engine did not fit, and considering that Torro Rosso goal is score some points, their engine will fit ?

It maybe be me but, this statement sounded like Wax, is not Honda's engine which is weak is McLaren gear box which ruined everything, plus Vandoorne.

No it's more like McLaren is 5* restaurant will only accept perfection in their dishes and experimentation or deviation are frowned upon, Toro Rosso being a home cook, so experimentation and hideous results are to be expected.

Honda do words

tumblr_lh7qs2RDRA1qa2iqs.gif

Aiii

So not worth it
I guess we finally found Wax's Honda VTEC forum insider. It was literally their PR department. Makes total sense given the bullshit that lad posts every week.

Hasney

I will laugh my arse off if the Honda engine next year works better than Renault.

Won't happen, but mannnn. Just thinking about Alonso being out qualified by a Toro Rosso is making me laugh.

Aiii

So not worth it
Maybe not at the season opener, but I certainly wouldn’t bet against Honda getting better than Renault, that engine is pretty shit.

Now I am not sure STR is the best way to prove that engine is good, especially after they lose Sainz, but mweh, it has a shot.

Fox Mulder

They have to do what they have to do.

Williams haven't done shit really in forever. Force India has passed them as the best of the rest and have two pay drivers. Williams might finish 7th this year.

2019 is the big year for contracts anyways.

Fisico

I doubt it. I think Stroll will do well next season, he seems far more talented than he's being given credit for.

No worse than Vandoorne. Probably better.

Wowow hold your horses on that one, Vandoorne was one of the best junior driver we ever saw, Stroll was good but was promoted way too early to infer anything about his real level.

And this season shouldn't give any indication about Vandoorne's level either (asides from being slightly below a two times world champion with 15 years in F1).

John_B

Williams needs a figure like Kubica to excite the team, help guide the development and deliver strong results that aren't flukes. I hope Rosberg can make it happen by also offering himself as part of a promotional package.

F1 is delivering binge-watching with four races in October. It will be some exciting races to determine if the championship goes to the end or not. Malaysia seems critical for Vettel considering a track like Mexico where it will be difficult to finish second on merit.

Lach

I'll be missing two races due to travelling (probably three as my 12 hour flight back home lands about 2 hours before the US GP starts...)

Yagami_Sama

McLaren situation is quite complicated. Even when they were using Mercedes engine, they were not doing that good.

I think that last time I saw they winning a race was in 2012, and I think that was Button who won and the last podium I remember was on 2014, with Magnussem on P2 and Button on P3.

I don't have high hopes, but I wish that with the Renault engine, they might be at least a podium contender

McLaren situation is quite complicated. Even when they were using Mercedes engine, they were not doing that good.

I think that last time I saw they winning a race was in 2012, and I think that was Button who won and the last podium I remember was on 2014, with Magnussem on P2 and Button on P3.

I don't have high hopes, but I wish that with the Renault engine, they might be at least a podium contender
If I recall Button only got that podium in Australia because Hamilton didn't get passed lap 3 because of a spark plug and Dani Ric got penalized for using too much fuel or some shit. Their 2012 was their last good car and they opted throw that concept away stupidly and did something else that nobody knew was going to work or not one year before a complete formula overhaul. Everybody assumed they'd evolve the 2012 car for 2013 and they end up making a car that bounced up and down around Monaco.

hadareud

The Translator
Wowow hold your horses on that one, Vandoorne was one of the best junior driver we ever saw, Stroll was good but was promoted way too early to infer anything about his real level.

And this season shouldn't give any indication about Vandoorne's level either (asides from being slightly below a two times world champion with 15 years in F1).

We'll see.

In my opinion Vandoorne is hugely overrated.

FrankCanada97

Joe Saward is predicting that Lando Norris will drive for Prema in F2. Sean Gelael being the second driver. I will be very disappointed that a team as professional as Prema is takes Gelael.

Top Bottom