• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tequila Works reaquired the rights to RiME

Bit saddened because it was a game I was very interested in due to its artstyle. But considering the history / lack of information about the game I guess its not too surprising.

Sounds like the project has been undergoing very troubled development if it was in a state to give Sony (of The Last Guardian fame) cold feet about the game...

This game has had some serious issues for a while now from the few things we've heard. I mean everyone was expecting some kind of Shadow of the Colossus/Ico style adventure game but last time I heard about this game it was a MOBA and they were actually scrapping that idea since it was not working out at all. This was only a few months ago if I remember correctly.

what in the world?

killroy87

Weird, that's super out of left field. I feel like for Sony to willingly let this go, the game either wasn't moving forward, or it simply wasn't that good.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Sony doesn't seem adverse to tossing money at a seemingly hopeless project. See Team ICO for example.

That project comes from developers with a track-record of success, and seemingly was hamstrung by technical rather than creative issues. New hardware = problem solved.

Alebrije

Well it seems this game will take more time to be released , the bright side is that could be available for more platforms.

The only thing that concerns is why Sony dropped it.

otakukidd

I'm really surprised by the fact Sony sold back the IP. Selling of IP almost never happens even when you don't use it for 10 years and have no plans on using....

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Same happened with Remember Me, that game got picked up by Capcom after Sony dropped it. Turned out pretty mediocre in the end, but Dontnod followed it up pretty strong.

That said, we should keep our hype in check when the only thing we have is a reveal trailer. Sure it looked interesting and reminded us of Ico and Wind Waker or what not. But in the end it's difficult to know how "real" that trailer is and if it's really resembles the game that we run wild in our imagination.

But the game really did look promising, so I hope it turns out well for them.

Man that sucks so bad. This game looks so beautiful, would be a shame if they can't get the gameplay right.

There were rumors a while back that it was actually a tower defense game? If true i know id be less into it.

Sony dropping out can't be a good sign.

How could it be a tower defense game?
I am going to have to watch these trailers again.

Lets be honest the windwaker,ico feel and tge art style pulled everyone in(me too) otherwise we knew nothing.

Ive seen reports it was tower defense,survival puzzle game,no combat,etc. No one knew what it was lol

Well if they are planning for it to come to more platform's down the line, I'm okay with that. Hopefully this game doesn't get cancelled because it looked so good. I'm rooting for you tequila!

wapplew

I mean, when Sony who fund a ballet dancing procedure generated platformer drop the game 3 years in, it's must be something.

Caronte

That's weird. On this interview from March 3rd a designer talked about the game as if it was still exclusive to PS4, even saying things like "fortunately we have enough time to make RiME the way we want to".

This game has had some serious issues for a while now from the few things we've heard. I mean everyone was expecting some kind of Shadow of the Colossus/Ico style adventure game but last time I heard about this game it was a MOBA and they were actually scrapping that idea since it was not working out at all. This was only a few months ago if I remember correctly.

You are fucking with us, right? Can anyone corroborate that?

Game must be in a pretty rough shape considering Sony has shown some patience when it comes to other games in the past even when developed externally, Until Dawn for example. Shame though game really looked interesting from the trailer maybe it will come out and surprise me.

Memento

If Sony dropped the IP ownership, there were definitely some serious development problems with the game. Problems so big they would rather give up entirely on it.

I am afraid this game will never see the light of day, my friends. If it does though, not sure anymore if its going to be good :(

Such a shame, because the visuals are stunning. It was one of my most antecipated PS4 titles since its announcement.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
That's a shame. The game looked really promising. I'm wondering what caused the dissolve of the contract? Game development is hell, though. The amount of work studios put in to get a game into our hands is insane. I've worked for Activision, Konami, Vivendi, Square-Enix, Obsidian, Capcom, etc, and there is so much behind the scenes "drama" (I hate to use the word, but I can't think of another more apt one) that it's a wonder we get so many games a year in the first place.

I hope the studio will be able to bring their game to their public. It'd be a shame if they had to cancel it, but I'm sure they'll find another publisher.

Begaria

I was a big supporter for Rime throughout 2014 and most of 2015, but when it didn't show up at PGW or even PSX 2015 and Tequila kept going, "soon, soon, soon", I jumped off the hype train. It looked good back in 2014, but no info, the rumors of troubled development, and now this is just too many red flags.

Teeth

That project comes from developers with a track-record of success, and seemingly was hamstrung by technical rather than creative issues. New hardware = problem solved.

Weren't you the one who was stating that The Last Guardian's issues were more likely a workflow and design problem than strictly technical? ie- the "large quadruped" issue?
Which I agreed with, which is why I suspect the catbird will end up being gated bespoke animations rather than anything systemic or AI driven.

KingJ2002

Both Sony and Microsoft dropped publishing.

Sounds like the obvious is in front of us... development issues are present. If the game is fundamentally flawed and isnt fun... they're not going to get many big publishers to hop on board the hype train for it. They may just have to put this game out themselves for all platforms... try to break even and try again.

Both Sony and Microsoft dropped publishing.

Sounds like the obvious is in front of us... development issues are present. If the game is fundamentally flawed and isnt fun... they're not going to get many big publishers to hop on board the hype train for it. They may just have to put this game out themselves for all platforms... try to break even and try again.

Whilst its likely they didn't want to just say it had quality concerns, part of the reason MS (seemingly) dropped it was because it didn't have MP/social aspects, sounds like a very MS thing to decide doesn't fit in their line-up ahead of development issues. It was also quite different under MS I believe, Sony liked their vision, at one point anyway

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Welp. This was the game that convinced me to buy a PS4 :(

Oh well. I got "The Witness," which was everything I expected from this game.

Glix

I really hope that the stuff said about playtesters in that rumor post is not true...

I hate that shit. There are so so so many great games that never would have come out or would have come out differently if developed around test groups.

It's the dumbest shit EVER.

PS - It can be good for some stuff, showing what needs to be tutorialized, etc...

But to alter a game because a group of playtesters said "its not fun" is the stupidest shit I have ever hear.

I bet you they'd say that shit about Myst. Should Myst not have come out?

I wonder what the fucking survey results were from Demon's Souls... Probably why it didn't come to the USA at first...

So fucking frustrating.

Frodo

I love how constantly Sony teases games that are, either; never released, or; released on a different platform than the one they were announced for.

They should know better by now other than announce a game too early.
Good luck for the team behind the project. Hope it gets saved somehow as it looked indeed interesting.

Top Bottom