• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016-17 TV Cancellations Thread: TNT finds "Nothing can come of nothing."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I assume they got into the "critics" version of Netflix that I keep hearing about, because I'm not sure why else you'd put the entire season of a new show up so far in advance.
Hmm? They say the security at a production vendor was compromised. One assumes a post-facility of some type.

I imagine life at that company is pretty shitty right now.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hmm? They say the security at a production vendor was compromised. One assumes a post-facility of some type.

I imagine life at that company is pretty shitty right now.
Wow, rip.

I just remember when ANN tried to do anime streaming and people just entered a random URL and managed to download an anime episode before it even aired in Japan. I don't think any heads rolled, but as you can see, they no longer offer any anime streaming on their site.

I assumed it was as bad as that. lol

Joni

It is interesting that the CW might pick up so many pilots while cancelling very little. This either bodes badly for the originals and izombie, or they will finally need to expand their schedule, airing less repeats for instance. They have time enough.

Patryn

I assume they got into the "critics" version of Netflix that I keep hearing about, because I'm not sure why else you'd put the entire season of a new show up so far in advance.

Nope, they got into the post-production studio that was doing the ADR.

Also, just to update this thread, Netflix didn't play and pay up and the guy has now released 10 of the episodes (possibly all he has?) onto the Pirate Bay.

Smart move by Netflix. While this'll hurt them a little, it at least establishes a precedent for other hackers that Netflix doesn't pay and maybe dissuades those hacker groups just looking for money.

TheOddOne

I'm sure if it will not hurt Netflix that much, because most of their stuff is already on the 'street' day one. Netflix has comfort going for them, because comfort beats cumbersome shady third party services that are never 100% reliable.

Weevilone

Also, just to update this thread, Netflix didn't play pay up and the guy has now released 10 of the episodes (possibly all he has?) onto the Pirate Bay.

Smart move by Netflix. While this'll hurt them a little, it at least establishes a precedent for other hackers that Netflix doesn't pay and maybe dissuades those hacker groups just looking for money.

Yeah the hackers have exposed themselves to risk for no return.. good precedent to set.

ZeoVGM

Banned
It is interesting that the CW might pick up so many pilots while cancelling very little. This either bodes badly for the originals and izombie, or they will finally need to expand their schedule, airing less repeats for instance. They have time enough.

I'm surprised The CW hasn't expanded onto Sunday nights yet. I feel like they would do fairly well there.

Just move Supernatural to anchor the night with a new show since it's successful wherever the hell CW moves it.

I'm surprised The CW hasn't expanded onto Sunday nights yet. I feel like they would do fairly well there.

Just move Supernatural to anchor the night with a new show since it's successful wherever the hell CW moves it.

The affiliates would never give those hours back to the network. There's more chance of me starting a thread entitled "RTTP: Dollhouse is actually a masterpiece" than there is of CW ever programming more than the 10 hours they do now.

berzeli

Banned

Somewhere out there Ratsky just twitched and spoke to no one particular "Another one on Sunday? What terror hath God wrought for me"

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

The affiliates would never give those hours back to the network. There's more chance of me starting a thread entitled "RTTP: Dollhouse is actually a masterpiece" than there is of CW ever programming more than the 10 hours they do now.

Yeah, exactly. CW programmed Sundays at the begining but eventually turned it back over to the affiliates. They will practically never get that time back now.

They would have to become a ratings juggernaut to the point where their largest affiliates would be begging them to program Sundays.

Meh, that wouldn't bother me - it's hardly like The CW makes anything worth watching anyway
I love the network but it's hard to argue that anyone gives a shit about it when three of the last four shows they aired this week (Riverfail, The Originals and Reign) couldn't even get 1,000,000 viewers in the overnight numbers.

ZeoVGM

Banned

To be fair, Dollhouse S2 is awesome so I would hope that's a likely scenario!

firehawk12

Subete no aware

Also, just to update this thread, Netflix didn't play and pay up and the guy has now released 10 of the episodes (possibly all he has?) onto the Pirate Bay.

They make it sound like social engineering or something. And it sounds like the only reason they released OITNB is because they are going "nuclear" and hoping that other studios/networks will pay:
We're not quite done yet, though. We're calling you out: ABC, National Geographic, Fox, IFC, and of course Netflix, still. There's more Netflix on the feasting menu soon (in addition to the other studios, of course), but we'll get to that later. Enjoy the fruits of our labour

So... this isn't over yet...

G0523

Unintentional double post but it's been more than 24 hours so whatever.

Sunday night's ratings:

Fast-Demo-2017-Apr-30.SUN_.png

Here's hoping that all the big shows already wrote their season finales then!

Shouldn't everything airing this year already have been written? Maybe next season stuff is in jeopardy.

Lucifer returns tonight after 24 took its slot for 12 weeks, should be 5 more episodes total (including this week) for season 2. They weirdly added like 6 (?) episodes to season 2 after the network wanted more, filmed them, then moved those 6 to season 3 to preserve the strength of the season finale (i guess the 6 episodes are more a short arc). Ironically, if the strike goes through, season 3 may end up getting delayed.

Not surprised about Pitch, TV shows that are about escapism are what seem popular (I wonder why). I'm happy for a strike though, I've got roughly 40 shows to watch and 6-18 months of no new TV would provide a great time to do it.

kevin1025

Banned
Shouldn't everything airing this year already have been written? Maybe next season stuff is in jeopardy.

If I'm remembering right, there were issues during the last strike where the showrunners weren't involved in edits of shows during post-production, so that's a possible issue. Plus if something is filming there won't be tweaks or day-of rewrites (though I'm not sure how prevalent that is on a stricter TV schedule versus films).

I managed to get through about 5 minutes of American Gods before turning it off. I know it's been a while since I read the book, but WTF was all that on the beach with the blood all over the place and super gory nonsense?

G0523

Lucifer returns tonight after 24 took its slot for 12 weeks, should be 5 more episodes total (including this week) for season 2. They weirdly added like 6 (?) episodes to season 2 after the network wanted more, filmed them, then moved those 6 to season 3 to preserve the strength of the season finale (i guess the 6 episodes are more a short arc). Ironically, if the strike goes through, season 3 may end up getting delayed.

Not surprised about Pitch, TV shows that are about escapism are what seem popular (I wonder why). I'm happy for a strike though, I've got roughly 40 shows to watch and 6-18 months of no new TV would provide a great time to do it.

Yes, but I'm just afraid of any casualties that might happen because of it. Plus, like kevin1025 said, the writers won't be there for anything that might need tweaking.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Bring back "Girl Meets Glass Ceiling," Stump.

There's no crying in cancellations.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Shouldn't everything airing this year already have been written?

All of the current season shows on broadcast are finished (S3 of The Flash, S4 SHIELD, etc).

There are a ton of cable series that are currently being written and filmed (like Halt & Catch Fire, Ray Donovan, Queen Sugar, The Walking Dead, American Horror Story, etc. etc. etc.) that are set to premiere this later this year that will be completely fucked by the writer's strike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom