• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantasy Star Online 2 Vita Import |OT| Save This World With Your Own Hands, For Free

Status
Not open for further replies.
TBF, that's like every MMO. It only matters when you get to the top epsilon of level and equipment.

Normally if I've reached that point, I'll take a break for a few months and come back to it

Personally the game is way more like PSU then it is the old PSO games, There is no sense of atmosphere or any weight to the characters with people flipping around and staying airborne for like 20 seconds at a time.

It is also taking the PSU approach of slow dripping tiny amounts of content out over extended periods of time instead of having a content full game at launch.

I have alot of other issues with the game that made me just outright quit even though I spent thousands of hours on the old PSO games and PSO2 was my most anticipated game in a long time but it is ok at being what it is I suppose. Just be cautious if you go into it expecting a sequel to PSO instead of an evolution of PSU.

I can't agree on your assessment of the game's content. At the game's launch after open beta it had roughly the same amount of content the original PSO did, and based on how the updates have been going it feels more like they're adding content in as its created rather than PSU's approach to having a complete game unlock itself over time. And you can't beat the asking price for all this.

Which class did you play, by the way? I can understand complaints about Hunters being too PSU-like, but the other two classes play nothing like PSU's equivalents, and the specialized classes later on are pretty much a complete departure. The combat in PSO2 really reminds me more of Monster Hunter than either PSO or PSU, and after well over a thousand hours I'm still not bored with it.

TBF, that's like every MMO. It only matters when you get to the top epsilon of level and equipment.

Normally if I've reached that point, I'll take a break for a few months and come back to it

The issue is in the fact that PSO isn't really an MMO, and the level cap goes up so slowly that its extremely easy to end up level capped with gear good enough to make the vast majority of the current content in the game a total joke.

It isn't as much an issue if you enjoy playing a bunch of classes or have no issue just taking a break for a couple months but that isn't how everyone likes to play these kinds of games.

The level of content PSO2 launched with in japan was a complete joke that rivaled the launch of PSU in dearth of content. It has gotten a little better over time since then but it is still moving along at a snails pace.

I can't agree on your assessment of the game's content. At the game's launch after open beta it had roughly the same amount of content the original PSO did, and based on how the updates have been going it feels more like they're adding content in as its created rather than PSU's approach to having a complete game unlock itself over time. And you can't beat the asking price for all this.

Which class did you play, by the way? I can understand complaints about Hunters being too PSU-like, but the other two classes play nothing like PSU's equivalents, and the specialized classes later on are pretty much a complete departure. The combat in PSO2 really reminds me more of Monster Hunter than either PSO or PSU, and after well over a thousand hours I'm still not bored with it.

I have played a hunter ever since the first PSO on DC so that was what I played there as well. I disagree about the amount of content though, there may be a comparable amount of areas but outside of that it was severely lacking at launch. I have also never really been on board with forgiving games of there misgivings because they are free either. I would gladly pay for the disc and have to fork over 10 bucks a month or whatever for online if it means getting a 100% complete game that they can put all there content updates into a V.2 disc based update ala PSO.

I could see a comparison to MH though, but when I have to choose between if its more like PSO or PSU the choice is pretty easy for me in that it reminds me way more of PSU.

Keylow415

Keylow : I had to go back, enter my name and password, then do another captcha thing online and it allowed me to login.

Thanks a lot dude. Finally got it working only at level two but what I played im likening it so far. I'm in ship two what block does most english players play? My name is keylow w/ jap ps id keylow415.

The issue is in the fact that PSO isn't really an MMO, and the level cap goes up so slowly that its extremely easy to end up level capped with gear good enough to make the vast majority of the current content in the game a total joke.

It isn't as much an issue if you enjoy playing a bunch of classes or have no issue just taking a break for a couple months but that isn't how everyone likes to play these kinds of games.

The level of content PSO2 launched with in japan was a complete joke that rivaled the launch of PSU in dearth of content. It has gotten a little better over time since then but it is still moving along at a snails pace.

There's the content argument again. Let's nip this in the bud:

PSO at launch: Forest (1 area, 1 boss), Caves (1 area, 1 boss), Mines (1 area, 1 boss), Ruins (1 area, 1 boss)
PSU at launch: Guardian Colony (1 area, no boss), Parum (1 area, 1 boss), Neudaiz (1 area, 1 boss)
PSO2 at launch: Forest (1 area, 1 boss), Volcano (1 area, 2 bosses), Desert (1 area, 1 boss), City (1 area, 1 boss)

You're -really- making the argument that PSO2 had less content at launch than PSU?

LaneDS

I just hope the eventual U.S. release doesn't feel like PSU, where I felt like the rest of the multiplayer was finished and simply locked off (versus an MMO where you know content just isn't developed yet, usually). PSU seemed obvious since the single player sections were there, but you couldn't fight the final boss in MP for whatever reason (at first).

Still am totally going to try PSO2, and even if it comes out somewhere in between PSO and PSU I'd probably be happy. The music at least is very much PSO, right? Same or mostly the same composers? That is always my first thought about PSO when I think back to it: how great the music and atmosphere was. The gameplay was simple but satisfying, but it was the perfect game at the time for me when it launched on the Dreamcast (R.I.P. little buddy). If PSO2 recaptures any of those feelings then it'll be a win for me (on PC or Vita, I'm happy either way).

PSO at launch: Forest (1 area, 1 boss), Caves (1 area, 1 boss), Mines (1 area, 1 boss), Ruins (1 area, 1 boss)
PSU at launch: Guardian Colony (kind of 2 areas, no boss), Parum (kind of 2 areas, 1 boss)
PSO2 at launch: Forest (1 area, 1 boss), Volcano (1 area, 1 boss), Desert (1 area, 1 boss), City (1 area, 1 boss)

You're -really- making the argument that PSO2 had less content at launch than PSU?

The level cap at launch in PSO2 was what, 40? I mean even now months after the launch its still not even close to what PSO launched at. Hell even the mags had a level cap at launch if I am recalling correctly.

Areas aren't the only content these games have at launch, number of items as well as number of levels are very much important.

My aim isn't to convince anyone not to try the game to formulate there own opinion, the game is free so the only thing you lose trying it out is time should you dislike it. I would just have anyone wanting what I would consider a true sequel to PSO to temper there expectations so they don't end up as let down as I was.

I just hope the eventual U.S. release doesn't feel like PSU, where I felt like the rest of the multiplayer was finished and simply locked off (versus an MMO where you know content just isn't developed yet, usually). PSU seemed obvious since the single player sections were there, but you couldn't fight the final boss in MP for whatever reason (at first).

Still am totally going to try PSO2, and even if it comes out somewhere in between PSO and PSU I'd probably be happy. The music at least is very much PSO, right? Same or mostly the same composers? That is always my first thought about PSO when I think back to it: how great the music and atmosphere was. The gameplay was simple but satisfying, but it was the perfect game at the time for me when it launched on the Dreamcast (R.I.P. little buddy). If PSO2 recaptures any of those feelings then it'll be a win for me (on PC or Vita, I'm happy either way).

I don't think the first one will be as visible of an issue as it was in PSU as there is no offline mode in PSO2. I would be more wary of how SoA will handle updating the US version considering there sketchy past with falling so far behind the JP version in content.

Atmosphere was one of the weak points for PSO2 for me though, but it had nothing to do with the music as the music was pretty good. I felt the atmosphere took a more cartoony and often times kind of blandly generic path I guess? It is a bit hard to explain but I found it didn't have the kind of bleak hopeless feeling I took from PSO. Obviously a subjective thing though.

ezodagrom

PSU at launch: Guardian Colony (1 area, no boss), Parum (1 area, 1 boss), Neudaiz (1 area, 1 boss)
PSO2 at launch: Forest (1 area, 1 boss), Volcano (1 area, 1 boss), Desert (1 area, 1 boss), City (1 area, 1 boss)

PSO2 also had Tundra at launch, and Tunnels was released a couple of weeks after launch.

The level cap at launch in PSO2 was what, 40? I mean even now months after the launch its still not even close to what PSO launched at. Hell even the mags had a level cap at launch if I am recalling correctly.

Areas aren't the only content these games have at launch, number of items as well as number of levels are very much important.

My aim isn't to convince anyone not to try the game to formulate there own opinion, I would just have anyone wanting what I would consider a true sequel to PSO to temper there expectations so they don't end up as let down as I was.

Why would the exp scale in different games compare directly? Sure, you could reach silly high level numbers in PSO but that only means you're hearing level up dings more often and each level means less in the long run. Levels in PSO2 are on a much steeper scale; at present, if you're level 50, you only have around half the total exp needed to reach level 55. You don't see super high level numbers, but at least the level numbers actually mean something, and getting there isn't exactly a cakewalk.

Mags were originally capped at level 100 but were brought up to 150 fairly early on, and that hasn't changed for the vast majority of the time PSO2 has been online.

You're entitled to your opinion but there's such a disconnect between our experiences that it's making me wonder if we really played the same game.

Why would the exp scale in different games compare directly? Sure, you could reach silly high level numbers in PSO but that only means you're hearing level up dings more often and each level means less in the long run. Levels in PSO2 are on a much steeper scale; at present, if you're level 50, you only have around half the total exp needed to reach level 55. You don't see super high level numbers, but at least the level numbers actually mean something, and getting there isn't exactly a cakewalk.

Mags were originally capped at level 100 but were brought up to 150 fairly early on, and that hasn't changed for the vast majority of the time PSO2 has been online.

You're entitled to your opinion but there's such a disconnect between our experiences that it's making me wonder if we really played the same game.

I am aware how EXP scaling works, but getting your first character to level cap in PSO wasn't a cakewalk. Hearing level up dings in pso more often also didn't result in less in the long run considering how much time it took to reach level 200 once that came out, talk about exp scaling. PSO also never had EXP boosters available but I guess that's a totally different discussion. I prefer my content to be there all at once then slow dripped out over time as I tend to play games in very large chunks of time in short timespans. I am sure there are plenty who feel the opposite way.

I am aware its all opinion though and it was never my intention to derail the discussion to being about me and my opinions or me vs the fans of the game type of deal. I just attempted to answer his question honestly considering my viewpoint seemed like one from the perspective he was after.

As always take any subjective opinions with a grain of salt, particularly when you can try the game out for free.

ezodagrom

I am aware how EXP scaling works, but getting your first character to level cap in PSO wasn't a cakewalk. Hearing level up dings in pso more often also didn't result in less in the long run considering how much time it took to reach level 200 once that came out, talk about exp scaling. PSO also never had EXP boosters available but I guess that's a totally different discussion. I prefer my content to be there all at once then slow dripped out over time as I tend to play games in very large chunks of time in short timespans. I am sure there are plenty who feel the opposite way.

I am aware its all opinion though and it was never my intention to derail the discussion to being about me and my opinions or me vs the fans of the game type of deal. I just attempted to answer his question honestly considering my viewpoint seemed like one from the perspective he was after.

As always take any subjective opinions with a grain of salt, particularly when you can try the game out for free.
The original level cap for PSO was lvl 100 actually (PSO ver.1 on the Dreamcast).

AcwZiWo.png

Holmes

Someone in the Vita thread said that there will be an Asian version releasing with an English text option. Is this true? Can't find any info on this.

The original level cap for PSO was lvl 100 actually (PSO ver.1 on the Dreamcast).

Yeah I know, but if you are going to include content updates in how long leveling up lasts then you can't discount the updated versions PSO got. Getting your first character to 100 in PSO wasn't really a super quick process though. That was why it says "level 200 once that came out though", I wasn't counting 100-200 when talking about what was included at PSO launch.

IMACOMPUTA

Forgive me if this has already been answered, but pc->vita play together on the same servers?
And I can have one character that i play on both pc and vita?

Forgive me if this has already been answered, but pc->vita play together on the same servers?
And I can have one character that i play on both pc and vita?

Yes and yes. Just be aware that there are three block types; the 0xx blocks are PC only, the 1xx blocks are Vita only, and the 2xx blocks are PC and Vita.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Yeah I know, but if you are going to include content updates in how long leveling up lasts then you can't discount the updated versions PSO got. Getting your first character to 100 in PSO wasn't really a super quick process though. That was why it says "level 200 once that came out though", I wasn't counting 100-200 when talking about what was included at PSO launch.
I think the bigger issue at launch was the way they structured the difficulties. The low lv cap didn't really bother me, but being stuck in normal and a hard mode that didn't feel that much different from normal was a letdown. I'm not sure what they could have done differently though considering the later areas were still in development (mines, skyland, ruins).

Going back to the lv cap, you also have to take into consideration that they structured the game to let you change classes. 3 classes each with a lv 30 cap brings the initial lv cap closer to PSO's. I'll admit it was a bit pointless to do all 3 at launch, but they've corrected that with subclasses.

I think the bigger issue at launch was the way they structured the difficulties. The low lv cap didn't really bother me, but being stuck in normal and a hard mode that didn't feel that much different from normal was a letdown. I'm not sure what they could have done differently though considering the later areas were still in development (mines, skyland, ruins).

Going back to the lv cap, you also have to take into consideration that they structured the game to let you change classes. 3 classes each with a lv 30 cap brings the initial lv cap closer to PSO's. I'll admit it was a bit pointless to do all 3 at launch, but they've corrected that with subclasses.

That kind of just brings me back around to feeling its more like PSU then PSO though whether people see that as a good or bad thing. PSU also had class switching and leveling all of them as well as a ton of areas total but a really sloppy transition between the difficulty levels for them, at least that is my opinion. I put alot more stock in levels and items than I do total number of areas because for me the entire point of PSO type games is leveling, item hunting and stat progression.

When I say it reminds me more of PSU then PSO that isn't meant to be to be automatically taken as a knock, even PSU isn't an exact comparison point. I just personally found more that reminded me of PSU then PSO.

Killthee

I'd love some details on how the microtransactions work in game. Is it all done via an in game PS Store interface or do you just use the SEN Wallet to fund your SEGA ID for purchases like MGO2?

I'd love some details on how the microtransactions work in game. Is it all done via an in game PS Store interface or do you just use the SEN Wallet to fund your SEGA ID for purchases like MGO2?

I know you can't use PSN or the SEN wallet for purchases at all, I believe there is an in game store but that part I could be mistaken on when it comes to the vita.

You still have to go through Segas setup to spend money for PSO2 transactions though.

Killthee

I know you can't use PSN or the SEN wallet for purchases at all, I believe there is an in game store but that part I could be mistaken on when it comes to the vita.

You still have to go through Segas setup to spend money for PSO2 transactions though.
Wow, I'm a bit surprised by that. I figured they wouldn't let another game do that again after Metal Gear Online 2.

d0c_zaius

boo sega id webpage keeps giving me an error when I try to register.

It is an error (027)
is a network error. I'm busy now.

weird, tried another email and it worked fine. yay! now just to update...

Jubern

It's been a long time since I last played the game, and now it asks me to enter a confirmation key that should be sent by email. Problem is: the mail isn't coming. It's properly registered and everything, I've triple-checked, but the mail with the key isn't coming so I can't login :(

Not sure I want to start over...

It's been a long time since I last played the game, and now it asks me to enter a confirmation key that should be sent by email. Problem is: the mail isn't coming. It's properly registered and everything, I've triple-checked, but the mail with the key isn't coming so I can't login :(

Not sure I want to start over...

If you're using Gmail, it ends up in Spam a lot. Otherwise, the SEGA ID management page lets you change email addresses.

Blueblur1

I agree with aliencowz7. You can't really say that PSO2 had as much content as PSO when it launched. When PSO2 launched there were only two areas: Forest and Caves. And it's story mode, the quests the matter board unlocks, was far from complete. That is not a complete game.

And the combat is precisely PSU's combat except that you can combo infinitely and use different PAs in the same combo. The Force combat is more less the same too aside from being able to move and cast Technics at the same time. The largest departure is the Ranger gunplay which controls like a standard third person shooter which is an improvement but if the content surrounding the gameplay isn't interesting (which is a whole another discussion) then improved gunplay doesn't mean squat.

Jubern

If you're using Gmail, it ends up in Spam a lot. Otherwise, the SEGA ID management page lets you change email addresses.

Huh, it WAS in my spam. I'm using Yahoo JP and for some reason, while I was getting all the mails from SEGA, the mail confirmations are the only ones that ended in spam o_O

Time to play!

I agree with aliencowz7. You can't really say that PSO2 had as much content as PSO when it launched. When PSO2 launched there were only two areas: Forest and Caves. And it's story mode, the quests the matter board unlocks, was far from complete. That is not a complete game.

Whoa, hold the phone. Let's look at that content breakdown I posted earlier this page:

PSO2 at launch: Forest (1 area, 1 boss), Volcano (1 area, 2 bosses), Desert (1 area, 1 boss), City (1 area, 1 boss)

PSO2 definitely had at least four areas at launch - Desert appeared as of pre-open beta. There might have been a fifth as someone mentioned Mines was present by the game's launch but I can't recall if this is accurate. Story may not have been complete but I don't really have an issue with it being released slowly, especially considering the high quality of story cutscenes.

And the combat is precisely PSU's combat except that you can combo infinitely and use different PAs in the same combo. The Force combat is more less the same too aside from being able to move and cast Technics at the same time. The largest departure is the Ranger gunplay which controls like a standard third person shooter which is an improvement but if the content surrounding the gameplay isn't interesting (which is a whole another discussion) then improved gunplay doesn't mean squat.

If you really think Force plays identically between PSU and PSO2, then you've obviously not spent any time with the class in one or both games.

PSO force: techs release instantly, use character TP (recharge with fluids)
PSU force: forced charge time for every tech, use weapon PP (recharge with photon charges or switch weapons)
PSO2 force: techs release instantly or charged, use character PP (recharge with time)

It might not sound like much, but the fact Forces are tied to the same PP meter as everyone else with no means of instant recharge makes them play very, very differently from when they had PP in the thousands to work with. Nevermind PSU's tech selection bears very little simularity to PSO and PSO2's; the Diga (earth) techs and the Dam/Nos tech styles are completely unique to that game, and much of the techs that share the same name don't behave similarly at all.

ezodagrom

PSO2 definitely had at least four areas at launch - Desert appeared as of pre-open beta. There might have been a fifth as someone mentioned Mines was present by the game's launch but I can't recall if this is accurate. Story may not have been complete but I don't really have an issue with it being released slowly, especially considering the high quality of story cutscenes.
Tunnels wasn't available at launch (it was released around 2 weeks after launch or so), but the Frozen Tundra definitely was (when I say launch, I mean July 4th, when the lvl 40 cap was added, I don't count the open beta as launch, even if data from the open beta was transfered to the release version).

Got some time in tonight. Been a long time since I played with my character リエラ_サオトメ (Riela Saotome), so it feels good to jump in again. I quit the game last year and decided to wait for the Vita release before I jumped in head first.

Falling in love all over again.

Jonnyram

The fact that I can play an online game like this, any time, anywhere, is nuts!
Tether my Vita to my iPhone and BAM.

And boy, does this look good on Vita.
I'm still a total noob, but anyone that wants to play together, give me a shout.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Geez, and my Package version probably won't be here till next week! Looks like I'm formatting my 32GB for a bit tomorrow! >_<
If you're in a hurry, you can always download the PC version and create your character there.

Geez, and my Package version probably won't be here till next week! Looks like I'm formatting my 32GB for a bit tomorrow! >_<

As Keiician mentions, you can just use the PC version to create your character, and it'll be there for you when you get onto Vita.

Also, because I haven't mentioned it this page yet, don't forget to use the friend invite system to receive reward badges as you level up! You don't get these badges at all if you don't use someone's referral information. Instructions and my referral information is in the first post, others should feel free to post theirs here as well.

Level 18 already. Can't imagine how great this game could be if I could actually read it.

I should probably buy a mag
Also how do you get Kuro's partner card. I have Toro's.

Level 18 already. Can't imagine how great this game could be if I could actually read it.

I should probably buy a mag

You don't have a mag at all, or you need a second one? You get your first mag free after clearing the Coffee client order for it.

Also how do you get Kuro's partner card. I have Toro's.

Not quite sure on that one myself. Toro's was easy in that you just had to hand him 3 monomates, but I think Kuro requires a run through Vol Dragon or something.

Never bothered to grab a mag.

Holy crap, get on that ASAP. You really should have been raising it since level 5 or so!

Make sure you decide what kind of build you want to make it, since resets/extra mags cost money (I think). Like, say, if you're playing Hunter, maybe 120 S-ATK 30 Ability would be good?

What's your player/character name by the way? You can find me by player name StarCreator.

wwm0nkey

Ok so since I can't really read Japanese at all, I just got some pretty rare boxing gloves apparently. Anyone have any idea what they are and how good they actually are compared to other rares?

Since people were asking earlier... I'm hearing that the card version works regardless of what region PSN account it is being used with. CD Japan is currently listing a 3-7 day availability, though the cleaning cloth extra is sold out: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=VLJM-35031

Ok so since I can't really read Japanese at all, I just got some pretty rare boxing gloves apparently. Anyone have any idea what they are and how good they actually are compared to other rares?

May need a little more than that to go on; if they're literal boxing gloves they're probably the Eight Ouncer, which is all-class but you'd have to be Fighter to be able to use Knuckle PAs. You can probably find out for sure here: http://cirnopedia.frostsabre.com/

Killthee

May need a little more than that to go on; if they're literal boxing gloves they're probably the Eight Ouncer, which is all-class but you'd have to be Fighter to be able to use Knuckle PAs. You can probably find out for sure here: http://cirnopedia.frostsabre.com/
Someone took the google spreadsheets and made a full blown site out of it? Awesome!

That's gonna be real handy if the PC version ever comes out in the West.

wwm0nkey

Since people were asking earlier... I'm hearing that the card version works regardless of what region PSN account it is being used with. CD Japan is currently listing a 3-7 day availability, though the cleaning cloth extra is sold out: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=VLJM-35031

Yup its the Eight Ouncer.

Also I might just go buy the card version now.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom