• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Offical MLB Power Pros Thread of Super-Deformed Awesome

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Concerning news from another Japanesebaseball.com video game forum post..."meet" below refers to contact rating (S rating is best, then A, B, C, etc). If true hopefully the US version will at least have these stats fixed, but... :(
BigManZam said:
The bad stats continue as a 2ch poster claims to have seen the game running at a Shibuya store that sells MLB merchandise. He says that Dustin Pedroia had E meet and Matsuzaka was way too strong. Anyone who wants to see if he's right, he says the store is between the commute from Shibuya station to the NHK building.
Any J-Gaffers into baseball want to head over to that store and get some info for us? :D

I bet real baseball team owners wish their players had no mouths and no legs. :lol

Good choice of platforms, this looks like a perfect Wii game or a good baseball game for kids using a hand-me-down PS2.

Cruceh

Banned
SpoDaddy said:
Finally, another baseball game with cursor-based hitting! I can now put All Star Baseball to rest.
Thank God. Recent games have put me off, but I'll probably be getting this. The PS2, not Wii, though. Mii usage isn't as cute.

XiaNaphryz

Quick question to the few Pawapuro vets out there...did last year's MLB game have umpire-variable strike zones? I can't remember if that was in older Pawapuro games or not...

sk3tch

So...I'm still confused about the Wii version. From the 2K Games site as well as what other posters have said here - it looks like you can play it with "standard" controls:

Source: http://2ksports.com/games/mlbpp/

Power Pro via Wii Remote - Play Home Run Challenge or Match-up Mode utilizing the Wii remote. Hit and pitch with the motions of the Wii remote.

So, I take that to mean that only in those modes are you required to use the waggle BS. However, reading the Gamespot preview from 9/10:

Source: http://www.gamespot.com/wii/sports/jikkyoupowerfulproyakyuuwii/preview_6178496.html

Secondly, when it comes to control, Power Pros is as straightforward an arcade baseball experience as you'll find. In the Wii version of the game, you'll be able to play either with the Wii Remote by itself or with the Nunchuk attachment. Playing with the remote is incredibly simple--you swing the remote when at the plate and shake the remote vigorously to either run the bases or field the ball. When pitching, you can choose from a variety of different pitches in your hurler's arsenal, and can add right or left break to the pitch by pressing the plus or minus button, respectively. From there, it's a matter of flicking the controller to throw the ball. That simplistic gameplay is almost too hands-off for our tastes.

Luckily, when you plug the Nunchuk in, you have a good deal more control over the outcome of the game. Fielding and baserunning, for example, is handled with the directional pad. When on the mound, you still select from your pitch arsenal (which includes standard curves, fastballs, and changeups, as well as pitches MLB fans might not be used to seeing, such as the shuto, essentially a more powerful screwball), then press the A button to toss it. Once you've selected your pitch, an icon shows up onscreen which will allow you to aim your pitch in (or out of) the strike zone. You won't have control over the break of the pitch, however, so you'll need to compensate with your aim. When at the plate, a virtual bat will appear onscreen and, to make contact, you'll need to line up the bat's sweet spot to where the ball will cross the plate. You have two swing types, normal and power swing, which can be toggled with the B button. The sweet spot on a power swing is smaller, but the potential reward is taking the ball yard.

So...it sounds like "simplified" Wii remote waggle is required for all in-game gameplay?

I'm fine with waggle in party games or stuff that I'll play with friends...but I don't want it in my sim baseball game. I'm just trying to decide between the PS2 and Wii versions and so far it looks like the PS2 one is the way to go for me. I wouldn't mind the "bonus" Wii features for when friends are over...but not if I'm always required to play it that way.

It's frustrating...the game is about two weeks away from release and there is very little concrete info out there on the NA version.

XiaNaphryz

sk3tch said:
So...I'm still confused about the Wii version. From the 2K Games site as well as what other posters have said here - it looks like you can play it with "standard" controls:

Source: http://2ksports.com/games/mlbpp/

So, I take that to mean that only in those modes are you required to use the waggle BS. However, reading the Gamespot preview from 9/10:

Source: http://www.gamespot.com/wii/sports/jikkyoupowerfulproyakyuuwii/preview_6178496.html

So...it sounds like "simplified" Wii remote waggle is required for all in-game gameplay?

I'm fine with waggle in party games or stuff that I'll play with friends...but I don't want it in my sim baseball game. I'm just trying to decide between the PS2 and Wii versions and so far it looks like the PS2 one is the way to go for me. I wouldn't mind the "bonus" Wii features for when friends are over...but not if I'm always required to play it that way.

It's frustrating...the game is about two weeks away from release and there is very little concrete info out there on the NA version.

That Gamespot preview is a bit sketchy in several places, and is incredibly unclear with the control description. Simple "waggle" only control is for the party modes only. This is how the Pawapuro Wii game works that's currently in Japan, and I can't see why Konami would drastically change things for the MLB game.

sk3tch

XiaNaphryz said:
That Gamespot preview is a bit sketchy in several places, and is incredibly unclear with the control description. Simple "waggle" only control is for the party modes only. This is how the Pawapuro Wii game works that's currently in Japan, and I can't see why Konami would drastically change things for the MLB game.

Thanks...I would be very surprised if they overhauled anything for this version. With that being said, the next concern are the ratings. It sounds like they've been pretty damn lazy with those in the past. Nothing bugs me more than ratings based off of some dude looking at the '06 season stats. :)

From the looks of things, I bet the localization is a bare minimum-effort and I doubt much was changed. That's good on the control side and potentially very negative on the ratings side. Oh well, I'm still going to get it. I'll set my sights back on the Wii version. :)

XiaNaphryz

Trailer is up over at OperationSports! Looks like a CG intro...definitely more "American" than the traditional Japanese intros...

My initial reaction is "meh." :/

I guess I'm too used to Japanese intros, last year's MLB game had one as well. Maybe 2K felt the anime intros would put off the traditional baseball gamer? Even then, the CG versions of the models don't look that hot...

I get excited for playing some baseball after watching some of the Japanese intros, I'm not getting the same feeling from this one. I also hope this doesn't mean the game soundtrack gets replaced with some random generic rock crap...

allen1982

Banned
Quick question to the few Pawapuro vets out there...did last year's MLB game have umpire-variable strike zones? I can't remember if that was in older Pawapuro games or not...

the series has never had umpire-varied strike zones so i doubt it will be in this one

On another note, does anyone have experience with the Pro Yakyu Spirits games? Do they play just like the Pawapuro games just with a more realistic graphics engine?

I have every single Spirits as well, the gameplay is not as good as Pawapuro IMO, the physics were whacked in the first 2 or 3 years but last year's version was really improved. i just dont like it because the hits don't feel natural and playing D doesnt feel smooth and responsive to me.

52.jpg

I think the guys at Konami need to check their lineups. IGAWA is the veteran leader in a group with Andy Pettite and Mike Mussina?!?

allen1982

Banned
About the igawa leader thing, you set these things up yourself, it's just that in this screenshot they made igawa the leader, but yeah, prepare for some massive Japanese bias, if this is like last year's version So Taguchi will probably have more jacked up stats than Derek Jeter

v0yce

XiaNaphryz said:

But no classic controller support?

Does anyone know what the roster cutoff was for this title? I CANNOT wait for this game. I think it will be a better overall baseball game than 2k8 or The Bigs.

XiaNaphryz

jangotangos said:
Does anyone know what the roster cutoff was for this title? I CANNOT wait for this game. I think it will be a better overall baseball game than 2k8 or The Bigs.
From the videos we've seen, it looks like they're using opening day rosters.

allen1982

Banned
by the way the konami press release did say the roster and abilities are set to End of June and immediately alot of fans were mad because Hideki Matsui had a huge july

I am very excited for this game and I am breaking my rule for sports games to get it (only one game per sport per gen, and I already have The Bigs, which is also great.)

XiaNaphryz

Thanks for the new Wii screenshots! I went ahead and dug up the link for the PS2 screenshots, though some of them are the same from the Wii. I've updated the Preview section in the OP with the new links.

XiaNaphryz

Other random screenshots that caught my eye:

This one's from Season Mode, I think it's one of the player training options.

0709192091_17.jpg

Some Mii screenshots from the Wii version.

0709192090_7.jpg

0709192090_8.jpg

0709192090_9.jpg

Quick game setup screen, New York vs New York

0709192090_20.jpg

Looks like an End of Season Awards screen in Season Mode...does this confirm that Season Mode is in fact a Franchise Mode?

0709192091_18.jpg

allen1982

Banned
Regarding the last screenshot, you have last year's version right? It was in there, it basically tells you what kind of awards your team's players have earned. You can play the season mode for 10 years and in this screenshot, the team has had 2 Hank Aaron award winners, 5 silver sluggers, 1 reliever of the year, etc etc

XiaNaphryz

allen1982 said:
Regarding the last screenshot, you have last year's version right? It was in there, it basically tells you what kind of awards your team's players have earned. You can play the season mode for 10 years and in this screenshot, the team has had 2 Hank Aaron award winners, 5 silver sluggers, 1 reliever of the year, etc etc
I own last year's game, but don't know enough Japanese to play through a full season, so I wasn't sure. Thanks for clarifying. :D

allen1982

Banned
Oh I see, then you will definitely love the English version. Too bad the US baseball draft is a bit different from the Japanese one, the Jpn version lets you play up to 20 seasons and the drafts are a lot more exciting because there are "star" rookies (the ace pitcher who wins the high school tournament like Dice-K), you can send a scout to get different players, and then the young players all progress differently, it is just really exciting to see young guys develop into new stars even if they are fictional. You can even pick 1 young guy each year to send overseas and when they come back in a year their stats will jump tremendously. I stopped after playing 1 year in last year's MLB verison so I don't know how stat progression work for the Major League series.

v0yce

XiaNaphryz said:
Classic controller and GC controller are supported. Look at the bottom right corner of this screenshot!

Oh great. Good to know. Barring any major flub ups with the Wii version, I'll probalby go ahead and get that version since it can use the CC. The waggle and Miis will be interesting distractions to try out and are worth the extra $10 for me.

I imported a Saturn version of the series a long time ago, as I've always been interested in the art style and I'm a baseball fan. But I quickly found out that the game was quite in depth and my total lack of Japanese knowledge left it pretty unplayable. So I'm pretty excited about this.

allen1982

Banned
Hey, GameSpot has the official trailer for the Japanese version now!

http://www.gamespot.com/wii/sports/...e2wii/media.html?sid=6179231&autoplay=6179231

They are advertising Roger Clemens on the Yankees so I guess the roster is quite up-to-date.

It looks really good. The new camera is nice.

They showed a few "mini cut-scenes" of hitters like Ichiro, David Ortiz, and Ryan Howard swinging, and they all had a unique swing animation (Ichiro with the running step, Ortiz/Howard had the homerun post) so I am HOPING that it actually happens in the game.

Sammy Sosa actually did his hop step after hitting a homerun but it is a little off because he waited until the ball actually cleared the fence to hop.

Knocks

I can't believe I'm actually seeing a Pawapuro game with English menus!! Still playing the Japanese MLB-licensed game for GameCube.

P.S. Wish they hadn't messed with player's faces for the U.S. version

XiaNaphryz

allen1982 said:
Hey, GameSpot has the official trailer for the Japanese version now!

They are advertising Roger Clemens on the Yankees so I guess the roster is quite up-to-date.

It looks really good. The new camera is nice.

They showed a few "mini cut-scenes" of hitters like Ichiro, David Ortiz, and Ryan Howard swinging, and they all had a unique swing animation (Ichiro with the running step, Ortiz/Howard had the homerun post) so I am HOPING that it actually happens in the game.

Sammy Sosa actually did his hop step after hitting a homerun but it is a little off because he waited until the ball actually cleared the fence to hop.

Yeah, Gamespot's put up a few more movies. Here are direct links to the streams, I'll update the OP as well.

Japanese trailer
Japanese Wii Gameplay vid 1
Japanese Wii Gameplay vid 2

XiaNaphryz

Rewatching the Japanese trailer, caught a lot of cool gameplay bits in the vid. Andruw Jones climbing the center field fence at Citizens Bank park trying to rob a home run, Sosa leaning over the plate trying to see if his long ball will curve foul then going into his traditional home run hop when it stays fair, and a sweet double-play by the Nationals infield.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Best baseball game series. Used to play the SNES versions without understanding a lick of Japanese but adored them all.

Just watched the trailer, looks really nice and fluid. Hallmarks of the Jikkyou series. Can't wait to grab this.

XiaNaphryz

EBGames just updated their release date to 10/3. Guess it all makes sense as the 10/1 date on the 2K site is their ship date, so retailers would receive stock on 10/2 and start shipping out to their individual stores the next day.

It will be interesting to see if this outsells The Bigs on the Wii. Do the Wii fans want arcade baseball or do they want super-deformed Mii-style cartoonish baseball?

allen1982

Banned
speculawyer said:
It will be interesting to see if this outsells The Bigs on the Wii. Do the Wii fans want arcade baseball or do they want super-deformed Mii-style cartoonish baseball?

Outsell The Bigs? I hope it will, but I really doubt it...I mean, here at NeoGAF, the thread for Jackass the Game has more posts than this thread, that should tell you how much hope this game has with the American audience :lol

XiaNaphryz

allen1982 said:
Outsell The Bigs? I hope it will, but I really doubt it...I mean, here at NeoGAF, the thread for Jackass the Game has more posts than this thread, that should tell you how much hope this game has with the American audience :lol
And most of the posts in this thread are probably by me anyway.

It wouldn't be so bad if we end up getting a complete edit mode, then we can keep rosters up to date ourselves even if another game never comes out over here...

allen1982

Banned
XiaNaphryz said:

It wouldn't be so bad if we end up getting a complete edit mode, then we can keep rosters up to date ourselves even if another game never comes out over here...

Haha yeah oh well. I think Konami won't get any attention in the US with this game. NOw that might change if they decide to do a MLB game with Pro Yakyuu Spirits graphics one day. Anyway, if it weren't for the fact that the Power Pro series and its style have been around since the 16 bit days, perhaps even the Japanese would look at the graphics and say "OMG KIDDIE WII GAME LOL!!!"

Haunted

Never played one of these, but I like the super deformed characters. Kinda cute. :)

XiaNaphryz said:
Code:
 Who Posted?
Total Posts:    94

XiaNaphryz 	33
allen1982 	14
speculawyer 	3
:eek:

XiaNaphryz

Some discouraging news from the Japanesebaseball.com Videogames forum. Can anyone confirm the Famitsu review scores? Of course these concerns likely won't affect the majority of US players, as they've likely never played a Pawapuro game.

BigManZam said:
Also, as an update to this thread, I'd like to report on Japanese fans' views. The general opinion of the fans on the 2ch PawaMajor thread is that the game is going to be crap. Their reasoning is a lot like mine. The official site was opened on 9/11/07 and there have been no updates since then. The game releases in a week. They believe that Pawapuro has been really poor ever since site updates have become rare and they believe the team behind this series no longer believe in it or have any motivation to improve it or sell it.

Compare that to the Pro Yakyu Spirits series, which has had weekly site updates before the release date featuring videos, pictures, and staff explanations of gameplay improvements.

Also, Famitsu scores are in. Both Wii and PS2 versions got a score of 8/8/7/7, which is very mediocre. Maybe Konami ran out of money to pay off the reviewers this time. 7 is VERY rare for the series, so maybe the reviewers are getting sick of the same thing. PawaMajor 2 doesn't look like much of a change from the first, other than the roster update. That could explain the low scores. Regardless, even if the game is relatively unchanged from the original, western fans experiencing it for the first time should get a new game experience.

allen1982

Banned
The Famitsu thread on NeoGaf has the same score so I think they are legit.

However, I wouldn't worry too much about Famitsu. These guys gave 13 (the worst game in the series and one of the worst baseball games ever) something like 10,9,8,8 and they gave 14 (this year's mediocre edition) something like 9,9,8,8. It is pretty clear to me that either they don't even play the games since only hardcore baseball fans could tell the difference anyway. Hell, if 13 gets a score so high and Major 2 gets such an average score, maybe Major 2 is actually good!!

Anyway I am not a subscriber so I don't have a Famitsu yet, but I can pick one up tomorrow at 7-11 or whatever and I can post the 4 reviewer's comments if they even matter at all but I bet they will just say really general things anyway like "If you like baseball, you will like this game!" or "Dreams of playing as Dice-K VS Ichiro in MLB fufilled!" You should see their Madden 07 review, one guy was pretty much like "If you like NFL you will like this game. But beware, there is a lot of ENglish in this game. If you don't speak English very well, you might have a lot of trouble with this game" and gives it a 6 or something. Famitsu scores are definitely overrated and over-praised by Western gamers for sure, I can tell you that.

kamikaze

i'm more interested in how western sites/publications review the game...not that that'll prevent me from picking this up on day one.

i'll be happy with a decent pawapuro experience in english.

XiaNaphryz said:

you need more to do at work. :p

allen1982

Banned
Konami updated the official site with breakdown of every mode.

There's really not much new information, things we know already are:

- 5 levels of lock-on when batting
- new camera on defense
- expert pitching system from Pro Yakyuu Spirits (where the American games copied it from), press a button at release to match the circle for most effective pitch

New stuff I didn't know:

- there IS a default edit mode...but dont be too excited, looks like you can only change names, jersey number, and appearance but not the actual attributes.

- new default hitting angle will show you a wider view of the field, but theres another new batting camera called wide, u can the widest view when batting, not sure if this will be so wide that its for 16:9, you can still switch to classic camera if you want for batting/throwing/defense

- the pitch indicator can be chosen from Point style (like every other old pawapuro game) or Ball style, which is like from the videos we saw on GameSpot, you can see the seams moving on the ball as it comes toward you

- season mode can now go up to 10 years instead of 5 years. you can have 3 separate save files for season so have 3 seasons at the same time if you want!

allen1982

Banned
By the way I am reading 2ch and it is pretty pathetic what Konami has done. They claim that roster and ability check is done according to stats at the end of June 07, yet it is obvious they are just using last year's stats...Ichiro, for example, has a C for contact and a "1" for clutch hitting...the fuck? One kid on 2ch is telling Konami to die, and there is another thread dedicated to Tani or whatever the name of the Pawapuro producer is, and basically posters in the whole thread are telling him to die. It is pretty sad what he has done since taking over PawaPuro but it is still pretty funny to read anyway.

Top Bottom