• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cemu Thread: Emulating Wii U Games

Sini

Vsync doesn't help. It's just a 2-3 year problem now with nvidia optimus laptops and windowed/borderless windowed apps that no one (microsoft, nvidia, laptop manufacturers) seems to care to address and fix. The only real fix is to run apps in exclusive fullscreen mode.
Latest info says it's up to Microsoft to fix their Desktop Window Manager they fucked up between 8.1 and 10.
They basically lost most of the support for switchable graphics in DWM even though it's so common in laptops. Idiots

XCX runs fine for awhile but gradually gets slower and slower as it runs out of memory. Eventually you either get tired of 10 fps and just restart Cemu or it just crashes.

There are other bugs in XCX but none render it unplayable. I just restart the emulator every 1 hour or so to reset the memory use.

Muzicfreq

Banned
RAM would be system RAM. Your GPU matters very little here. Although you'll have to restart when your VRAM fills, the emulator doesn't have trash collection. So the lower your VRAM, the more you have to restart. You might be able to handle games like Mario. You will not be able to do games like Xenoblade X. Even with a 3770k @ 5ghz and a 1070 many of the areas in XCX dip to ~15fps for me and even for the people with i7-6700k processors on Youtube. Those people showing the opening field with just Elma aren't giving you a true representation of the game. Even I was at 30 fps in those same places. Head into town and watch your fps sink. Maybe, and that's a big maybe as in doubtful, a Kaby Lake i7-7770k could render those same spots above 20 and be relatively playable, but I have no way of knowing that for certain. So the answer to your question is: Probably for games that require less of your machine, like Mario and Captain Toad. Almost certainly not for games that require more of your machine, like XCX.
Thanks. Looks like breath of the wild will probably not be possible for me then

Lgn

Neo Member
XCX runs fine for awhile but gradually gets slower and slower as it runs out of memory. Eventually you either get tired of 10 fps and just restart Cemu or it just crashes.

There are other bugs in XCX but none render it unplayable. I just restart the emulator every 1 hour or so to reset the memory use.

Actually there's a pretty big bug when you play the game with a Skell, every time you go in cockpit mode (completly random during fights) the game change resolution to a sub 480p. It's not related to the graphic packs, infact it happens even without any change to the resolution.
It's a Cemu bug and hopefully it will be fixed soon enough.
I've played 40h in XCX on cemu and i feel this is too much even for me. Restarting the game every time it happens or play in 480p is not fun at all.
I suggest you to wait for a better version of the emulator before wasting hours in XCX.

It's not "unplayable" but i feel like it's borderline impossible to enjoy the game.

UltraJay

Actually there's a pretty big bug when you play the game with a Skell, every time you go in cockpit mode (completly random during fights) the game change resolution to a sub 480p. It's not related to the graphic packs, infact it happens even without any change to the resolution.
It's a Cemu bug and hopefully it will be fixed soon enough.
I've played 40h in XCX on cemu and i feel this is too much even for me. Restarting the game every time it happens or play in 480p is not fun at all.
I suggest you to wait for a better version of the emulator before wasting hours in XCX.

It's not "unplayable" but i feel like it's borderline impossible to enjoy the game.

I pretty much have 20-25 fps in crowded areas and 20 fps pretty every time I'm in combat. Is there any way to fix that especially?

My GPU is a 780 TI and my CPU is an i7 4790K at 4.4 GHz.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
How the hell do I 'blow' in Super Mario 3D World? Cant seem to get past that level.

Assign a button to it in CEMU's input settings menu. I just set it to the X1 controller's view button as - doesn't seem to do anything in Treasure Tracker.

dadjumper

Dario ff's shadowmap mod also works for CTT :eek: Seems like enhancements are cross-compatible in general. I hope somebody gets rid of the post-processing AA at some point.

unbenannt-387ko9.jpg
Maaan I need to get this going

4K 60fps Super Mario 3D World with DoF removed is a sight to behold.

How are you removing DoF?

ced

Alright so I've got a media box that isn't bad specs besides video.

I've googled but it's getting frustrating, can you all tell me what model video card to get that will meet the minimum requirement for this? It needs to be a small form factor I think if that's even possible.

Reading the OP I guess I need to look for "An AMD or Nvidia GPU with OpenGL 4.5 support and 6 GB of RAM is recommended..."

Jafku

Alright so I've got a media box that isn't bad specs besides video.

I've googled but it's getting frustrating, can you all tell me what model video card to get that will meet the minimum requirement for this? It needs to be a small form factor I think if that's even possible.

Reading the OP I guess I need to look for "An AMD or Nvidia GPU with OpenGL 4.5 support and 6 GB of RAM is recommended..."
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...GjuwQMMPzj3XYRTs2nsNwaAsKv8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

Now if only someone would do this for Bayonetta 1.

At some point the emulator itself needs to be improved to fix these bugs. But I'm sure they are working on it. Even starting with the base of knowing the PPC core in Wii U due to Dolphin's years of acquired reverse-engineering and knowing the GPU since it's a bog-standard Radeon HD 4000 series core, there's still a shitload of stuff to do. Sound emulation is still extremely fragile for example, it fucks up all the time in XCX.

You could always chip in some cash at https://www.patreon.com/cemu and help fund their development costs so they can work faster.

Personally the only reason I'm glad Breath of the Wild is still coming to Wii U. One day hopefully I'll be able to pick up a copy and play in 4k.

Blam

What do you do with games like Hyrule Warriors that have multiple updates? Or can you only play how the game released?

I believe if your game is in CRX form you can update the game normally. If you go and download the updates from nintendo's servers with something like UWizard.

I believe if your game is in CRX form you can update the game normally. If you go and download the updates from nintendo's servers with something like UWizard.
So to be clear, you can do it with Cemu then? I only care for Hyrule Warriors and BotW and I'm sure but have/will have lots of patches.

jediyoshi

So to be clear, you can do it with Cemu then? I only care for Hyrule Warriors and BotW and I'm sure but have/will have lots of patches.

The number of patches is irrelevant. The concept of patches doesn't really exist in regards to Cemu, you just update the game's files with the files from the update and launch the game.

jediyoshi

Patreon news

1.7.1 to release Feb 2nd
Focus on performance improvements
Game/emu bug fixes
Compatibility improved (QUBE cited, Devil's Third reaches title screen)
Reduced VRAM possibility still

Patreon news

1.7.1 to release Feb 2nd
Focus on performance improvements
Game/emu bug fixes
Compatibility improved (QUBE cited, Devil's Third reaches title screen)
Reduced VRAM possibility still

I hope they work on the memory leak which causes XCX to slow down, have texture corruption, and eventually crash.

Audio needs a lot of work, this is an issue which affects all games.

There is a funny bug that specifically affects XCX, I don't know if any other games with in-game timers have it too where everything happens 3 times faster. In XCX, the day-night cycles happen very quickly because of this speedup. The play time counter is affected too, so it says I have played 70 hours already.

Most amusingly, you accumulate money and miranium at triple speed. Since the accumulation occurs when you are just standing around, I want to try leaving the game running overnight and see if I have 999,999 cash money when I check the game again, assuming it hasn't crashed.

LostDonkey

Speaking of slowdowns I have noticed that if I pause my SM3DW session and leave it for say an hour while I eat or whatever it has turned into a 10fps shit show when I return. Have to restart CEMU and sometimes it's even slow until the meeeeooowww and then it goes to full speed.

Also noticed if I create a shortcut on the desktop to the emulator it causes games to permanently slow down and also have a different save profile. Did a couple of world's on the shortcut only for it to slow down on me and never return to full speed, deleted the shortcut and launched from the source folder and hadn't saved my progress, had to start from before I created the shortcut.

Azcyatl

Some vanilla screenshots from the 4K Graphic pack downscaled to 1080P because i have yet to try the reshade tools with Cemu, but oh boy I´m a having a blast playing like these.

MY2MD6o.jpg

Even with the bad depth of field effect in the game, it surely has some nice visuals. Surely with the reshade tools it will look jawdropping. Also i'm looking into adding some aditional AA.

hUZSUgu.png

BONKERS

MFAA requires the game to specifically support it, otherwise it does nothing.

FXAA is good at smoothing edges, so you can look for it's effects there. Especially on high-contrast images like TWW, SM3DW, and MK8, the edges really look a lot better with FXAA.

No MFAA does not. MFAA hooks into any game's native MSAA or forced MSAA. IF you can force MSAA from outside the game. MFAA will work on top of that.
MFAA just uses a temporal filter to interpolate a different sample pattern every frame into the final output. It increases the quality of some edges but also can add some sawtooth crawling artifacts on other edges. Any downsides from it disappear when downsampling from a higher resolution and in combination with other AA methods. Be forewarned however that MFAA does not function properly below 40FPS. So if you are playing a 30FPS game, it will cause smearing/ghosting in motion.

If you guys are looking at AA for this, your best bet is to use whatever the game natively supports while using DSR/VSR at 4.0x resolution.(With any other resolution scaling on top. So say you use a 1080p monitor, run CEMU and your desktop at 4k, resolution scale the game to 5376x3024 ; 1.4x1.4 =1.96x;, game already uses post processing AA, so then that's downsampled to 4k and then that's downsampled to 1080p via DSR/VSR. Effectively multi-step OGSSAA like GeDoSaTo) And then forceFXAA or whatever else on top of that while using DSR. This will provide the best results.

It's also worth mentioning the "2/4/8x Supersampling" option in NVCP, and NPI will only AA alpha tested/blended objects unless Cemu uses OpenGL, which will use SGSSAA instead for the entire scene. But quality may be a crap shoot. If there is ever a DirectX backend, forcing AA will likely only work if DX9 is used unless specifically added by the application itself. As it does not work in DX10, 11 or 12.

tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

Didn't even think about these perks.

While it sounds nice, likely will have issues with bleeding. Especially with alpha effects and fog. DoF is useless as i've yet to see DOF with Reshade that actually worked playably with a game for anything but screenshots.

Aside from screenshots, we'll see the usual over sharpening and people messing with the intended color palette. *yawn*

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
If anyone knows a way to only include specific textures somehow (not only by size & format), do let me know.
How do you even know which texture is which? Like if you for example want to exclude certain textures like the SM3DW default graphic pack is doing? How do you find out - "ah this background image is 0x41A format so it should be excluded".

jediyoshi

How do you even know which texture is which? Like if you for example want to exclude certain textures like the SM3DW default graphic pack is doing? How do you find out - "ah this background image is 0x41A format so it should be excluded".

Debug -> Dump -> Textures

cemu\dump\textures\

eg: 21a53000_fmt0034_mip00_1280x720_tm04_sw00000700.bmp =

0x034

pizzacat

Banned
I hope they work on the memory leak which causes XCX to slow down, have texture corruption, and eventually crash.

Audio needs a lot of work, this is an issue which affects all games.

There is a funny bug that specifically affects XCX, I don't know if any other games with in-game timers have it too where everything happens 3 times faster. In XCX, the day-night cycles happen very quickly because of this speedup. The play time counter is affected too, so it says I have played 70 hours already.

Most amusingly, you accumulate money and miranium at triple speed. Since the accumulation occurs when you are just standing around, I want to try leaving the game running overnight and see if I have 999,999 cash money when I check the game again, assuming it hasn't crashed.
oh thank God i thought I was crazy when the intro was 8 hours long

Aight, looking at this thread I can't wait to play Bayo 2 in 4K.

I need to stock up on some of the more obscure / fun Wii U exclusives in the event that they eventually get emulated well.

Looks amazing.

Peterthumpa

Screenshot is lackluster, but it's incredible news that ReShade has access to the depth buffer in Cemu, therefore allowing for BOTW to be injected with things like ambient occlusion.

I don't think that injected AO would look good in BotW, but well, we'll see.

Nerrel

Screenshot is lackluster, but it's incredible news that ReShade has access to the depth buffer in Cemu, therefore allowing for BOTW to be injected with things like ambient occlusion.

...wait, BotW doesn't have ambient occlusion? Almost all Nintendo games implemented it last gen, even MK8. This game really was pushing the Wii U hard.

That's disappointing if so. In my experience with injecting AO, you can get some nice results but there are almost always issues that make it uneven, usually when the game uses heavy fog. I was doing a run of Metroid Prime 2 and found that Ishikura's AO worked really well until I got to Torvus bog, then the fog ruined the effect. The same has happened using REshade in Majora's Mask at certain places. Games that weren't shipped with AO in them will put up a fight if you try to add it.

pestul

I finally fixed my cemu 1.7d issues.. (cemu.exe has stopped) turns out I had to restore my Nvidia Control Panel to default 3D settings. I'm not sure which setting caused it to fail.

pestul

Got it. For anyone else having this problem, I'm using the latest Nvidia game release drivers.

GTX970
Power management mode had to be on: Optimal Power and not Prefer Maximum Performance

EDIT: Argh still issues.. it works sometimes and other times not. I'm going to try an uninstall MSI Afterburner and a few other things now. Trying to get a wraps around Steamlink flipping my image too.

Top Bottom