• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Santa Monica (God of War) is making a new IP 1st/3rd person shooter w/ vehicles

Killzone is a terrible franchise by any meaningful standard of evaluation. Though I do not believe SSM's repertoire necessarily means they will produce a sound shooter, I'll gladly believe SSM's worst work would rival GG's "best."

My standards of evaluation say that Killzone is not a terrible franchise.

What exactly is so bad about it?

Honestly, Killzone 2 is probably the most fun I've had with an FPS this gen. The game/series gets a lot of unwarranted hate.

Globox_82

Banned
My standards of evaluation say that Killzone is not a terrible franchise.

What exactly is so bad about it?

Honestly, Killzone 2 is probably the most fun I've had with an FPS this gen. The game/series gets a lot of unwarranted hate.

Can't believe anyone can say this with a straight face.

I can speak only about SP, so if you are talking about MP, fine.

SP first and foremost is generic as hell, slow, boring and dull. Now to make things worse let's mess controls and not only make aiming a pain in the butt, but let's make it feel like your guy is a 250 pounds drunk midget.

Overrated franchise IMHO.

Can't believe anyone can say this with a straight face.

I can speak only about SP, so if you are talking about MP, fine.

SP first and foremost is generic as hell, slow, boring and dull. Now to make things worse let's mess controls and not only make aiming a pain in the butt, but let's make it feel like your guy is a 250 pounds drunk midget.

Overrated franchise IMHO.

The singleplayer is one of the best and most immersive atmospheric FPS singleplayers I have played, capped off with an excellent end boss and satisfying final cutscene. Sounds to me like you were put off by the controls and weight 'cause you're used to every other FPS giving you a feather for a gun and as such didn't even give the rest of game a chance.

KalBalboa

Banned
Killzones 2 & 3 are great games with really involving campaigns and unique feels to their minutia. No need to dump on them in a hyperbolic manner.

Globox_82

Banned
The singleplayer is one of the best and most immersive atmospheric FPS singleplayers I have played, capped off with an excellent end boss and satisfying final cutscene. Sounds to me like you were put off by the controls and weight 'cause you're used to every other FPS giving you a feather for a gun and as such didn't even give the rest of game a chance.

I made it clear what I think of SP (I forced my self to finish it). Controls are just and extra. Don't spin my words.
I am seriously not believing you that you liked it that much, unless that's the only shooter you played this generation. Any COD SP is better then KZ2, take your pick. Just to make it clear I am not some COD fanboy. BO is the only COD MP I played extensively. Rest of them, I just completed SP. Even R2 SP is better then KZ2 SP IMHO.

deadlast

How can they focus on a shooter, when they have to maintain their GoW MOBA?

In all honesty, I would prefer them to build a solid adventure game with some optional co-op action.

what is Stig doing nowadays? if SSM split into 2 teams just after they finish GoW3 with Todd making GoW Ascencion, that would leave Stig doing something else for more than 2 year too, must be a pretty big project if they've worked on it for more than 2 years and still not ready to show anything. I hope we see something for E3.

Globox_82

Banned
what is Stig doing nowadays? if SSM split into 2 teams just after they finish GoW3 with Todd making GoW Ascencion, that would leave Stig doing something else for more than 2 year too, must be a pretty big project if they've worked on it for more than 2 years and still not ready to show anything. I hope we see something for E3.

Stig and most of the senior members from GOW3 are working on a new IP. They seem to be doing it like ND. Two teams.

Antioch

Is there any word on how long this may have been in development so far? Would an E3 appearance be a reasonable expectation?

I made it clear what I think of SP (I forced my self to finish it). Controls are just and extra. Don't spin my words.
I am seriously not believing you that you liked it that much, unless that's the only shooter you played this generation. Any COD SP is better then KZ2, take your pick. Just to make it clear I am not some COD fanboy. BO is the only COD MP I played extensively. Rest of them, I just completed SP. Even R2 SP is better then KZ2 SP IMHO.

All I'm saying is it sounds like you had a subconscious bias because you were forcing yourself through the controls. Maybe if the controls were more to your liking you would of still hated it, but very rarely does someone offset by something so fundamental enjoy anything else of the product. But of course you're so convinced that something like that couldn't possibly give you a bias unknowingly so my apologies. I will not spin your words.

Though I'm sure there is a large amount of people would would say KZ2's singleplayer is better than any COD singleplayer by a long shot, but now we're just getting off topic.

By the way, the part I bolded. How dare I spin your words yet you can come and tell me I do not know what I enjoy.

Acheron

Banned
KZ2 and KZ3 were nothing special. Anecdotally you may have liked it but overall KZ3 wasn't a success so clearly most people didn't give a damn about following up 2.

Stig and most of the senior members from GOW3 are working on a new IP. They seem to be doing it like ND. Two teams.

That's the best decision when going with the dual-IP strategy. Grow a new team that fully integrates into the main one and continue working on the new IPs in the same way the old one did, while the primary team focuses its creative enrergy into making something new. Outsourcing IPs didn't go well for Sony.

KZ2 and KZ3 were nothing special. Anecdotally you may have liked it but overall KZ3 wasn't a success so clearly most people didn't give a damn about following up 2.

KZ3 actually was a success as far as sales go, but if you're talking about the more meaningful success then I agree, KZ3 is absolutely horrible in my opinion. None of that means a damn thing about KZ2 though.

Acheron

Banned
KZ3 actually was a success as far as sales go, but if you're talking about the more meaningful success then I agree, KZ3 is absolutely horrible in my opinion. None of that means a damn thing about KZ2 though.

If KZ2 was all that liked, then logically sales of KZ3 will be high (and they weren't).

World at War did well because of Modern Warfare. Halo 2 broke records because of Halo. Arkham City because of Arkham Asylum. Clearly you liked Killzone 2, but most people were rather "meh" about it and sat out KZ3.

You can't deny that Resistance, Killzone, MAG, SOCOM, Starhawk have all failed to break out.

Ridiculous.

Anyone can like whatever game as much as they want.

If KZ2 was all that liked, then logically sales of KZ3 will be high (and they weren't).
First off KZ3 sales were pretty good. And secondly, that is failed logic. Obviously you never heard of a common theme this gen that is disappointing sequels. Just because you really like one game doesn't mean you ignore the fact that the sequel is garbage and buy it anyways.

And since you mentioned Starhawk, that's a good example. There are a ton of people who love Warhawk but don't give a rat's ass about Starhawk.

World at War did well because of Modern Warfare. Halo 2 broke records because of Halo. Arkham City because of Arkham Asylum. Clearly you liked Killzone 2, but most people were rather "meh" about it and sat out KZ3.

You can't deny that Resistance, Killzone, MAG, SOCOM, Starhawk have all failed to break out.

Killzone has been well received critically and sold millions. Nowhere near cod or halo sales, but that doesn't mean the games arent good.

Sales does not equal quality. In that case, bayonetta, ico, etc would be considered crap just because they didn't sell

kratosj.png

Globox_82

Banned
Power of Sony Santa Monica. A few days ago they had 5 senior positions on Gamasutra, now they have only 1 left lol. I guess people want to work for those guys, plus it's new IP.

Talking about new IP I doubt it's a classical shooter. A few days ago I was going through those job openings, and it also mentions boss fights, magic. Not your classical military shooter(which people fear).

Raoh

LMFAO

Its all an opinion. I'll take k2 over any cod, sp or mp any day.

Top Bottom