• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Playstation: First Party Studios & their Current Projects

BigEmil

I think the DLC model for PSASBR was actually really interesting had it taken off. Two fighters could be purchased for $5, or they were included in another first party release. In God of War: Ascension there was a code for Zeus and Isaac Clark (from Dead Space). As a guy who loves Sony's first party, I would love to see that utilized again.

Had it been successful we could have seen:

Tearaway - Iota and Atoi
Sly Cooper Thieves in Time - Murray and Bentley
The Last of Us - Joel and Ellie
Puppeteer - Kutaro
Knack - Knack
Infamous Second Son - Delsin and Fetch
The Order: 1886 - Galahad
Bloodborne - Hunter
LittleBigPlanet 3 - Toggle, Oddsock, and Swoop
Ratchet & Clank (PS4) - Captain Qwark and Dr. Nefarious
Horizon - Aloy
Crash Remake - Crash and Spyro

Plus there could have been cool partnerships like:
Guacamelee! - Juan and Tostada
Rayman Legends - Rayman
Transistor - Red
Velocity 2X - Kai Tana
Hyper Light Drifter - The Drifter

With the right game structure and a fun party-like Smash atmosphere, that cross promotion could be successful for the game and its developers, other games and their developers, and Sony in general.
If were looking at characters from games Only on Playstation PS4 which is not on any other platform outside of Playstation then this PS4 exclusive list can be handy pretty up to date it maybe missed some of the japanese ones though or any others that slipped through but it doesn't include games that's console exclusive like Nier:

Alienation
Amplitude
Bloodborne
Bound
Crash Bandicoot N-Sane Trilogy
Days Gone
Dead Nation Apocalypse Edition
Deception IV
Detroit: Become Human
Dragon Quest Builders
Digimon Cyber Sleuth
Digimon Next Order
Drawn to Death
Dreams
Driveclub
Everybody's Golf
Farpoint
Fat Princess Adventures
God of War 3 Remastered
God of War
Godzilla
Grand Kingdom (+ Vita)
Gran Turismo Sport
Gravity Rush Remastered
Gravity Rush 2
Gundam Breaker 3
Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA Future Tone
Hatsune Miku: Project X
Hardware Rivals
Horizon Zero Dawn
Infamous: First Light
Infamous: Second Son
J-Stars Victory VS+
Journey
Killstrain
Killzone Shadowfall
Kingdom Hearts 1.5 + 2.5 Remix
Kingdom Hearts 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue
Knack
Knack 2
Let it Die
Matterfall
MLB The Show
Nioh
Odin Sphere Leifthrasir
Persona 5
Psychonauts in the Rhombus of Ruin
Rainbow Moon
Ratchet & Clank
Resogun
RIGS: Mechanized Combat League
Shadow of the Beasts
Spiderman
Sword Art Online Hollow Fragment
Sword Art Online Lost Song
Sword Art Online Hollow Realization
Tearaway Unfolded
The Idolmaster Platinum Stars
The King of Fighters XIV
The Last Guardian
The Last of Us Remastered
The Last of Us Part 2
The Order: 1886
The Playroom
The Playroom VR
The Tomorrow Children
The Witch and the Hundred Knight: Revival Edition
Uncharted 4
Uncharted Nathan Drake Collection
Uncharted The Lost Legacy
Until Dawn
Until Dawn: Rush of Blood
Wild
Wipeout Omega Collection
Yakuza Kiwami
Yakuza Ishin
Yakuza 0
Yakuza 6

I've never actually played hot shots golf before... this is going to sound dumb, but is it anything like Mario Golf? i loved those games.

I just bought it on my Vita and that's exactly what it reminds me of. I'm sure there are people more in tune with the differences, but that's the immediate vibe I got from it.

Hexa

What about Crash Team Racing? How feasible is it to bring this back? Who would develop such a title?

Vicarious Visions, the studio that is developing the Crash remaster, also did Skylanders Superchargers, a pretty decent kart racer based on reviews. I think they might do that next as Skylanders is dead and they need something to work on.

Vicarious Visions, the studio that is developing the Crash remaster, also did Skylanders Superchargers, a pretty decent kart racer based on reviews. I think they might do that next as Skylanders is dead and they need something to work on.

Sony owns the trademark for CTR though, so Activision might not be so keen to make that one.

What about Crash Team Racing? How feasible is it to bring this back? Who would develop such a title?

If it does come back I would be quite happy with simply an HD remaster with online play. The handling is already perfect and the courses are brilliantly designed.

Alternatively, if I were Sony (Mr Sony to you) I would make Daxter & Clank Karting, lifting the same handling model and essentially recreating the game without having to pay Activision anything. Can use characters from both series that way, make it up-to-spec and try to make it a viable alternative to Mario Kart. Probably give it to Sumo Digital, although make sure it's more of a kart racer and less and super-fast arcade racer like the Sega All-Stars games were at times.

https://twitter.com/AgentM/status/855158817478201344
Ryan Penagos‏
How I'm spending my day. Pretty great. #SpiderManPS4
C94iYUQU0AEQp0D.jpg:large

can't wait to see more of this

MCD250

Spider-Man is one of those things that I sometimes kind of forget about because we don't hear about it too often but then ocassionally I'll see something come up referencing it and get super excited again.

Imsomniac! Spider-Man! It still feels so crazy to me that it's even happening.

Spider-Man is one of those things that I sometimes kind of forget about because we don't hear about it too often but then ocassionally I'll see something come up referencing it and get super excited again.

Imsomniac! Spider-Man! It still feels so crazy to me that it's even happening.

What if they open E3 with Spider-Man!? That'll set the tone pretty early in my opinion.

Hexa

Sony owns the trademark for CTR though, so Activision might not be so keen to make that one.

Are you sure? I just checked the US database and all current trade marks on "Crash Team Racing" are dead and have been for a long time. No one ever bothered to transfer them from Universal. At this point Activision should have no problem using it from a trademark point of view, though I don't know if they have any other contractual agreements related to when they got the Crash IP.

I'm looking forward to this too. I want a completely brand new game that is given at least 2.5 years of development.
IIRC the previous Ratchet game was done and ready in September 2015 but was delayed because the movie was delayed. A new Ratchet game with new planets, story, coliseum, and moons mission like ACIT. Also I would love if they add Quark gameplay. Ratchet for shooting, Clank for puzzles and platform int, and Quirk for brawling.

Are you sure? I just checked the US database and all current trade marks on "Crash Team Racing" are dead and have been for a long time. No one ever bothered to transfer them from Universal. At this point Activision should have no problem using it from a trademark point of view, though I don't know if they have any other contractual agreements related to when they got the Crash IP.

Yeah, it's come up a couple of times. I don't remember the specifics, so I may've been wrong about the trademark, but apparently Sony owns the Crash Team Racing IP because it was negotiated in a separate deal from the original trilogy. That's why Vivendi had to go with Crash Nitro Racing for their attempt at a follow up.

I hope they announce a new Ratchet game. It's about time.

That'd be awesome but only if they announce it with actual footage. The R&C 2016 announcement was really weak, though I'm guessing the movie was to blame for that.

IIRC the previous Ratchet game was done and ready in September 2015 but was delayed because the movie was delayed. A new Ratchet game with new planets, story, coliseum, and moons mission like ACIT. Also I would love if they add Quark gameplay. Ratchet for shooting, Clank for puzzles and platform int, and Quirk for brawling.
Gimmie all of that!

Speaking of which, are there any rumors of us getting a new Sly Cooper game?
It is about time for this too.

No, but with the movie and Sanzaru in the developers list on PS4 reveal it should be a given.

But now I'm starting to think, movie and possible game are both cancelled.

found this post on reddit:

I've been following this closely since the trailer was first released, allow me to explain the current situation.
The movie is in development. Not production or casting or anywhere close to release. It is in early stages of development, script writing, pitching ideas, laying the basic groundwork of making the movie. Right now the studio working on it is restructuring thanks to a merge with another company, which could either be very good or very bad news for the Sly movie. Optimistic predictions put a release date somewhere in 2018.
You can read all the details on their website here or watch this video which summarizes everything nicely

https://www.reddit.com/r/Slycooper/comments/5erkhp/sly_cooper_movie_status/

Wozman23

Speaking of which, are there any rumors of us getting a new Sly Cooper game?

Nope. Sanzaru has been working on other things (Sonic Boom, Tron RUN/r...) and stated this on Nov 14, 2014, a little less than 2 years after Thieves in Time:

I wanted to respond to a lot of the questions regarding Sanzaru Games and Sly Cooper. While we, like you, dearly love the Cooper gang, we are not currently working with PlayStation on a project and there are no plans to work on another Sly Cooper title.

It's been a few years, so we can only hope something started after that (or that they are liars).

Dabi

E3 is less than two months away man. At least you're going to get footage soon. Just imagine how hard it is if you want to see gameplay from Cyberpunk 2077. :(

Isn't that game pegged to come out sometime in 2019? It's a huge stretch but you might get a new trailer this year

Well now we know that HZD sold over 1 million in the U.S. for March with physical + digital.

That's incredible, and a testament to making a long-term investment in a development studio (despite at times middling results). I just wish Sony didn't shut down so damn many development teams :(

EDIT - from the NPD topic: "Horizon: Zero Dawn * (Sony) - Best Guerrilla debut ever, selling twice as much as their second highest debut, Killzone 2. That should put it around 648K"

So it sold a third of its copies in NA digitally?! Where was it said that it sold over 1 million in NA altogether?

That's incredible, and a testament to making a long-term investment in a development studio (despite at times middling results). I just wish Sony didn't shut down so damn many development teams :(

EDIT - from the NPD topic: "Horizon: Zero Dawn * (Sony) - Best Guerrilla debut ever, selling twice as much as their second highest debut, Killzone 2. That should put it around 648K"

So it sold a third of its copies in NA digitally?! Where was it said that it sold over 1 million in NA altogether?

Here:

Oh it's over 1mm

What an incredible month

I know don't know if we ever got the exact number, but it wasn't a million even with digital. We don't know the exact numbers for HZD, just that it is over a million.

You certain ?
I don't remember we get any DD info about UC4 at all .

Man i can't wait to see spidey again .
Have a feeling that game going to be big .

Top Bottom