• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiibo Thread 8 | Expecting reprints? Too bad. Waluigi time.

zulux21

Well shit; now I'm having second thoughts. If I sold them all, and they released a massive heavy hitter with a huge emphasis on amiibo, I'd be kicking myself.

you could just look at them the way I do.
as nothing more than figures that are reasonable prices for their quality :p

I mean I also have like 15 disney infinity figures and I don't own a single disney infinity game lol

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1249356

CnyoEU0WcAA1HOb.jpg
CnyoE99XYAAwem0.jpg

Coming this Autumn

Seems scanning cards causes the villagers to come to your village.
Animal Crossing figures are compatible
Also has collaboration with other series amiibo like presumably Callie & Marie

Functionality is being added! It's happening!

Blues1990

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1249356

CnyoEU0WcAA1HOb.jpg
CnyoE99XYAAwem0.jpg

Coming this Autumn

Seems scanning cards causes the villagers to come to your village.
Animal Crossing figures are compatible
Also has collaboration with other series amiibo like presumably Callie & Marie

Functionality is being added! It's happening!
Wisp?! I miss that adorable ghost. The squids resembling Callie & Marie also look adorable, but I never did expect them to be roommates.

Been out of the Amiibo loop for a min since no new smash Amiibo have dropped. Had no idea there were DARK variants of the DK & Bowser Skylanders. Just ordered the regular versions since Best Buy is having the Elite Black Friday sale. Then ordered the Dark Wii U edition. But the Wii edition is mad expensive still.

Otherwise I still need to finish my smash run at some point. Haven't started importing yet but that'll probably start happening soon. And I see the new Splatoon Amiibo are out too so I'll need to rectify that too...

RIP wallet continuously smh...

Insaniac

Been out of the Amiibo loop for a min since no new smash Amiibo have dropped. Had no idea there were DARK variants of the DK & Bowser Skylanders. Just ordered the regular versions since Best Buy is having the Elite Black Friday sale. Then ordered the Dark Wii U edition. But the Wii edition is mad expensive still.

Otherwise I still need to finish my smash run at some point. Haven't started importing yet but that'll probably start happening soon. And I see the new Splatoon Amiibo are out too so I'll need to rectify that too...

RIP wallet continuously smh...

Still waiting on Corrin, Bayo and Cloud to finish up my Smash series...

Would love some Breath of the Wild amiibo too. (I mean once more chars are revealed I'm hoping we'll see more)

Also Monster Hunter would be cool, but not a fan of the MH stories amiibo

Still waiting on Corrin, Bayo and Cloud to finish up my Smash series...

Would love some Breath of the Wild amiibo too. (I mean once more chars are revealed I'm hoping we'll see more)

Also Monster Hunter would be cool, but not a fan of the MH stories amiibo

Crazy enough this thread inspired me earlier to look for the common amiibo I nerver picked up for smash and wow have they evaporated. Smash DK? Nowhere in my area. Diddy? Nope. Sheik? NOPE.No Peach or Mario either! I resorted to getting a Pikachu from someone in the B/S/T thread but man I didn't expect the 'commons' to ever fall off.

Ordered the rest of the available Super Mario series and will probably preorder the next batch soon. Realized I didn't have a Mewtwo either so I corrected that.

Ordered the 3-pack Splatoon vol2. Will have to wait on Callie & Marie until my BB restocks or I make a loooong drive smh lol.

Wish I wouldn't have slept on the Megaman Legacy Collection during Prime Day now because I really don't want to pay a huge amount for that.

In discussions with another Gaffer for Ness, Meta Knight, and Sheik so we'll see how that goes.

Probably will have to resort to importing Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, Rosalina, Robin, Lucina, Palutena, Bowser Jr, and the Mii Fighters 3-pack. No Toys-R-Us around me unfortunately.

I have 2 Mega Yarn Yoshi. Willing to depart with one if someone wanted to trade.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Order all the things! All of them.

Heading out to Comic-Con for the week (got 4 days but no Preview Night) so if anyone sees a guy wearing a stylish Animal Crossing or retro Mario shirt it might just be me! Hoping that this year's Nintendo Gaming Lounge shirt is a Splatfest one! :)

Order all the things! All of them.

Heading out to Comic-Con for the week (got 4 days but no Preview Night) so if anyone sees a guy wearing a stylish Animal Crossing or retro Mario shirt it might just be me! Hoping that this year's Nintendo Gaming Lounge shirt is a Splatfest one! :)

Diggeh! As in from KHUx Diggeh?! BROTHER!

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Has there been any word on when the Bayonetta amiibo will be out? That's taking a long time.

Moving soon, so I'm in the process of moving my connection. Luckily working at GameStop has paid off, I have a ton of little bags for each figure to move them with

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Everyone be waiting for Mario Series 2 & news of Cloud, Corrin, & Bayonetta.

.........seriously, why is it taking so long on the final SSB characters?

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Everyone be waiting for Mario Series 2 & news of Cloud, Corrin, & Bayonetta.

.........seriously, why is it taking so long on the final SSB characters?

Probably gonna be Triple Pack exclusive to the Smash NX port CE at this rate!
I'm going with a Direct announcing them for November

Vidiot

There's nothing to do with them. They're cool as collectables but the stuff they do in game has been basically meaningless crap imho. They really do need an amiibo Skylanders type game if they want them to stay relevant.

As someone who has no real idea about Amiibos, does it matter which model you buy of a certain character in regards to game functionality? For example if I buy the Smash Brothers Yoshi Amiibo will it work the same in games as the Wooly World one?
This is a birthday present for my nephew, who as far as I know only has Mario Kart and and Super Mario 3D world.

zroid

Banned
As someone who has no real idea about Amiibos, does it matter which model you buy of a certain character in regards to game functionality? For example if I buy the Smash Brothers Yoshi Amiibo will it work the same in games as the Wooly World one?
This is a birthday present for my nephew, who as far as I know only has Mario Kart and and Super Mario 3D world.

Pretty much the same. There are a couple exceptions like Yarn Yoshi has some extra functionality over regular Yoshi in Woolly World, but they work the same way in Smash.

Amiibos are dead >:)

Kirby amiibos are about $7.50 on amazon, let em drop to sub $3 and I will buy dat waddle dee

sinking ship is best ship, funkos are next D:

Garlador

Sold off a few boxed Amiibos (Gold Mario, Rosalina, King DeDeDe Smash Bros) on Ebay hoping to get some good money out of it, since they're still considered rare.

... Yeah, didn't happen. My own damn fault for not putting a minimum reserve price.

Ended up losing money after Ebay took their cut.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
No reselling discussion please. It's in the Thread Rules.

Garlador

No reselling discussion please. It's in the Thread Rules.

Already sold. I'm not trying to resell anything to anyone anymore. It was more an observation that the "rare" amiibos aren't very valuable anymore, that the amiibo "craze" is dying down incredibly fast, and further supporting the prior comments stating the price of even new amiibos like the Kirby line are dropping like crazy soon after launch.

The fever has faded, I think. My local Gamestop has the same set of amiibos on their shelves untouched that have been there for over a month. Even a Gold Mega Man just sitting there in the box that nobody seems interested in.

It's a far cry from less than a year ago when I was standing in the rain at 6:00 a.m. to snag a Rosalina or DeDeDe. Those same figures that had a 100+ person line I now could barely give away. It makes me wonder prominently if Nintendo has any real, definitive plans for amiibos going forward following the rather disastrous Animal Crossing and Kirby lines.

... Or will the inevitable amiibos of Cloud, Bayonetta, and Corrin suddenly spike interest again?

The_Kid

And people said Nintendo should release more and they'd be rich, that they were stupid for straining the supply.

Now they are clearanced more often, and people say they were left to die.

barts-paradox.png

Jawmuncher

And people said Nintendo should release more and they'd be rich, that they were stupid for straining the supply.

barts-paradox.png

It's just the state of toys to life. Smash Series is the exception, since they include series that don't get much merchandise and are automatically going to be high demand not enough supply. I do think a big part is Nintendo not gauging interest right. Animal Crossing Amiibo have been a huge indicator of that.

Garlador

barts-paradox.png

Personally, I think it correlates to property and IP. Smash Bros is huge and it's a huge celebration of the best of the best of Nintendo's long and storied histories, producing merchandise for cult games with cult followings like Earthbound and F-Zero that isn't exactly swimming in merchandise yet whose fans would readily gobble it up.

... I'm not sure Kirby or Chibi-Robo or Animal Crossing have that same metric, especially as stand-alone lines.

At the same time, if Nintendo announced a line of Metroid figures - of Ridley, of Light Suit Samus, of Dark Samus, of Kraid, etc - I can see starving Metroid fans scoop them up (surprised they didn't for Metroid Prime: Federation Force...).

Zelda will still probably do well, but imagine tying it into a Hyrule Warriors line - Impa, King Daphnes, Zant, etc. - and it would have gotten passionate Zelda fans into a frenzy.

Fads fade with time, but it's surreal to me that Nintendo hunkered down and churned out nearly two dozen Animal Crossing amiibos long before they even finished up their Mario cast.

The_Kid

Personally, I think it correlates to property and IP. Smash Bros is huge and it's a huge celebration of the best of the best of Nintendo's long and storied histories, producing merchandise for cult games with cult followings like Earthbound and F-Zero that isn't exactly swimming in merchandise yet whose fans would readily gobble it up.

... I'm not sure Kirby or Chibi-Robo or Animal Crossing have that same metric, especially as stand-alone lines.

At the same time, if Nintendo announced a line of Metroid figures - of Ridley, of Light Suit Samus, of Dark Samus, of Kraid, etc - I can see starving Metroid fans scoop them up (surprised they didn't for Metroid Prime: Federation Force...).

Zelda will still probably do well, but imagine tying it into a Hyrule Warriors line - Impa, King Daphnes, Zant, etc. - and it would have gotten passionate Zelda fans into a frenzy.

Fads fade with time, but it's surreal to me that Nintendo hunkered down and churned out nearly two dozen Animal Crossing amiibos long before they even finished up their Mario cast.

Considering even the games don't sell well I kind of doubt it.

And you can be sure if the supply was constrained the Animal Crossing amiibo would be selling better, maybe even out. It seemed like people didn't care what amiibo came out, it was rare and they wanted it. I mean, Silver Mario?

Zalman

They have also slowed down the releases significantly. I think they're happy with the current sales, but obviously it's not nearly as crazy as it was a year ago.

Been awhile since I bothered to buy more amibos since finding roy but then I just saw the callie and marie ones.

Had to get them

Draxal

It was way too much for the average consumer, and there was more bang for the buck getting the cards.

Went all in on AC (my guess is to drive up amiibo sales in Japan); but it really screwed them in the west.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
I mean, it's still better having everything be easily accessible than waiting in line for hours outside a store. I'm fine with the occasional lulls in releases if it means not spending forever updating the OT everything is easily obtainable.

I agree. Since I always just wanted the figures themselves and didn't care about the rarity this is what I wanted from the start. To be able to just buy them when I want and not have to worry about missing a 2 minute preorder window or waiting outside for 12 hours.

I'm just really shocked they haven't said ANYTHING at all about the last smash amiibo. I mean, we first heard about them like what..almost 8 months ago now? Surely they'd be coming in Oct/Nov or so right?

E3 would have been the perfect time to show them off, and especially that stuff with Animal Crossing because it's huge a game that old is getting a pretty significant game changing update.

I guess maybe in a direct like Diggeh said but..we should have gotten one already. Or a Pre-E3 Direct or something.

Hopefully if they do have one they'll show off more of the S2 Mario ones since that's our next big release. It's been so slow I think because of the lack of releases. I bet if 2017 has a bunch Zelda will kick things off into high motion.

Neiteio

I think the remaining Smash amiibo might be:

A) Holiday items, since Nintendo won't have any blockbusters this holiday outside of Sun/Moon and maybe the plug-and-play NES, so they'll need everything else to shore up the difference

or

B) The Corrin, Cloud and Bayo amiibo might be planned as part of a larger wave that will tie in with Smash for NX, rumored to be a launch title. This amiibo wave could feature any extra characters that might be added (i.e. Ice Climbers, Inklings), or if new characters are not added, perhaps they'll take the opportunity to roll out the alternates, i.e. FemCor, FemRobin, the Koopalings, etc.

Zalman

If they're saving the three Smash amiibo for the NX version, then it's possible they will release on the same day as the console itself as well as the three Zelda BOTW amiibo. That could be an expensive day.

ZeroX03

Banned
Finally opened my Wolf Link amiibo and it is fierce. Excited for the BotW Links.

ahahaha they'd be deader than the AC or Kirby lines. Metroid is like 1/5th the size of AC's top selling entry.

amiibo were always going to be front loaded. Nintendo didn't know the demand for initial shipments and they led with the most popular characters of their biggest franchises. Short of Pokemon amiibo, they're never going to be as big or popular as the first year and I assume Nintendo is aware of that.

ahahaha they'd be deader than the AC or Kirby lines. Metroid is like 1/5th the size of AC's top selling entry.

amiibo were always going to be front loaded. Nintendo didn't know the demand for initial shipments and they led with the most popular characters of their biggest franchises. Short of Pokemon amiibo, they're never going to be as big or popular as the first year and I assume Nintendo is aware of that.

Well, now I wouldn't discount the collectibility of something like Metroid or even something like Earthbound. Despite AC's huge success, the amiibo became excessively common and easy to find because there was absolute saturation in the market with 4 waves of cards in addition to the figures. Plus they were for a ok game and a mediocre garbage fest so they weren't really flying off the shelves for game capabilities.

Even Kirby which is like..what the 3rd biggest Nintendo franchise has pretty common figures because of the game. And Splatoon had a Wave 2 basically at the end of the franchise's lifespan on Wii U (and basically recolors of others)

I think there's definite want from people for more but they have to be worth it. It's a problem that stems into other franchises as well like Skylanders and Dimensions.

Top Bottom