• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What makes an anime "click" for you?

Jac_Solar

I really like "power fantasy" anime, like One Piece, HxH, DB, JoJo, etc. Anime where the characters have "powers". But, most of the time, this concept has some problems that I don't like.

One of the primary hooks of this concept relies on making you attached to the main character(s) overall progress in their strength, only to "sabotage" that by introducing characters that they should not lose to/struggle with, but because the plot/narrative demands it, they do.

But, there are other, more reasonable/more enjoyable (For the viewer.) ways to get around this, but they don't do it. They play it straight, and make the main character lose when they shouldn't lose. (And then win against someone who's supposed to be 10x stronger, etc.) They could, for example, temporarily debuff (Though, this is often the least enjoyable option.) the character. Or they could make the fight 2v1, 3v1, etc.

Or provide more of a logical/reasonable explanation as to why the character he's/she's fighting is so strong.

Or use more tactics, as opposed to the binary system where "1004 power" would always beat "1000 power" that a lot of anime implies. HxH sometimes sort of dips into this, which is great.

Dadasch

I don't think there is a formula for this but one thing is a No-Go for me: Sexualised, obedient female characters. Other than that it's pretty much like movies.
The thing I desire the most is originality, to see something I've never seen before or an unexpected execution of a known element. Well, surprises are the best, amirite?

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Humour, mystery, tension, music, OPness, pure awesomeness etc.

I don't watch much anime but my favs are Gurren Lagann, Kill la Kill, Ninja Robots, Ninku, Flame of Recca (very old), Attack on Titan, DBZ etc.

theclaw135

Banned
Comedy most of all. Backed by likable character design and music.
Occasional breathing room for development goes a long way. Something like Go West Young Meowth

I don't so much enjoy fan service per se. Rather have attractiveness that doesn't need deliberate attention, or take what lesser writers would've made trashy and turn it into a standout character. Who else in anime can say they truly repeated Lum's success?

Jotakori

-A solid story, typpiicaally leaning more toward shonen and coming of age type things, or like action fantasy sorta stuff. Not usually a fan of overly romance-focused plots or slice of life, tho there are exceptions.
-Good pacing and how it plays out its dramatic moments. This is pretty much the number one reason why I drop anime I would otherwise enjoy. Usually if it's rushed to the point where I feel the characters don't get enough screen time or development, or if they draw out every dramatic moment unnecessarily it's just... ugh.. I can't.
-Follow through on built-up story beats. It drives me up the wall when a plot sets up your expectations to follow through on certain things, and then never does.
-Well written and diverse characters with enjoyable interactions and relationships. I want to see depth, motives, personality quirks, growth. I don't like characters being there just to be there and serve shallow plot purposes, that makes them boring.
-Female characters aren't overly sexualized. I can put up with a little and there are exceptions if it's more comedy based (for example, I really enjoyed FLCL, TTGL, KLK, and No Game No Life) and if they have a really strong and interesting plot otherwise, but when it's stuff that doesn't really have any business sexualizing girls and does it anyway just for the sake of doing it, it's super gross and a major turn off.
-Good, fluid animation -- the looser and wilder the better. (No CGI pls jfldas)
-It doesn't get "too big for its britches." Not sure how else to put this, but when a story and the bad guys just get bigger and bigger and bigger to the point where it's like you've completely lost touch with the whole reason for the story to begin with. Naruto kinda did this in the end, and as far as I got into Bleach it definitely had this problem, too.

Some of my favorite anime include FMA (Brotherhood), Mob Psycho 100, Gurren Lagann, Re:Zero, Kekkai Sensen, Durarara, Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun, Noragami, and Occultic;Nine.

Kazuhira

When i can watch it with someone else and not feel ashamed or uncomfortable.
First thought that crossed my mind was that anime about some dude brushing her sister's teeth,that shit is a big no for me.

ChryZ

It needs to be very good at something. The premise can be as cookie cutter as it gets, but I'm on board if the show is hilarious or got clever twists or amazing characters or great animation or awesome art.

Style and character designs.

Quality doesn't need to be great because I fall in love with stuff like Kemono Friends. I would like to say story is important but I frequently fall in love with SoL shows all the time and those are entirely devoid of any real story. I'm also not turned off by fan-service at all. I'm not going to lie, I like tits and well done fanservice.

Kthulhu

Nah. SAO is received pretty well overall. But the people that hate it really seem to hate it.

It really hasn't been. Most of the fans of the show I've seen say it was one of their first anime. Unless you were lucky with your initial exposure to anime, pretty much everyone has one trash show that they are nostalgic for.

Apt101

When an anime is very unique.

I began watching anime when its exposure in the US was limited, and most of them were vastly different from anything we had seen or likely even read before. Now, anime is so ubiquitous it heavily influences pretty much all media. It has its own genre-specific tropes and running gags and homages. Much of current anime is "samey".

So when an anime comes along and is unique and daring, reminding me why I find the genre so special in the first place, that's when I take notice.

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
Some of the things that make an anime 'click' for me are

• cute girls doing cute things
  • characters being stupid
  • characters being assholes
  • characters being dumb assholes
  • cute girls being dumb assholes

I'm a fan of SoL and comedy shows, and nothing gets to my core like cute girls or other characters with major personality issues played to extremes for laughs. Sabagebu, the current Aho Girl, Girlish Number, and Milky Holmes are all good examples. Farce is probably the best way of summing it up. Gintama is also a good example as well.

That said, I'll dig more down to earth stuff as well, like Shirobako or Sakura Quest. Also older action/mecha shows like Gundam or VOTOMS.

Also, when an anime goes completely off the rails that's a great thing as well. Samurai Flamenco is the best example I can think of this (and also one of the first shows I watched, and one of my favourites).

c2d5204c938ac83e0165ch9ka5.jpg

blakep267

- good action/animation
- "normal" character clothing. Don't like over stylists sikky outfits ex. Shorts with jackets and straps etc
- Subdued not over the top acting( unless it's a comedy)
- characters aren't particularly young. I don't mind late teens, but I'm not a fan of let's have 12 year old character doing adult things like saving the world
- Relatable SOL
- Relatable romance storyline that's not a love triangle. Hate those

Faiz

Fan service is fine as long as it's clearly not the point of the show.

Other than that, it generally just needs to be well made and not lazy. There's no hard and fast rule. I have a preference in aesthetics but I don't rule out shows that don't follow it.

How good the scifi or fantasy elements are. Anime has some interesting sci\fantasy ideas before they drizzle anime tropes all over it.

It's funny because I thought I could handle all forms of sci-fi anime fantasy.

Finally (after way too long) getting around to watching Martian Successor Nadesico and I am not liking it at all.

Which is funny as I like almost all other sci-fi animes that have ever come out. Also for those who haven't checked out Starblazers 2199 (Space Battleship Yamato 2199) yet get on that shit.

It doesn't, with the only exceptions being Escaflowne and PLANETES even though the latter's ending was pretty BS. I gave anime plenty of chances over the past 15 years and it bores the fuck out of me every time.

13randO

Having great music sure does help. FLCL is my #1 and one of the reasons is that soundtrack; the Pillows just killed it.

Faiz

It doesn't, with the only exceptions being Escaflowne and PLANETES even though the latter's ending was pretty BS. I gave anime plenty of chances over the past 15 years and it bores the fuck out of me every time.

Well clearly Black Jack clicked with you in some way....

kewlmyc

A good and interesting plot/characters and/or and unique setting. It's why Baccano stood out to me so much (and to a lesser extend Durarara).

Also if the characters aren't in high school. It's doesn't automatically make a show bad and I have several shows I like that are featured in high school, but there's so much bad anime associated with high school plot-lines that it makes newer shows featured primarily in high school an easy pass until I hear good things about it.

Also to add to the "hard ignore" list is the isekai (to another world) genre. Only one I've really liked so far is Konosuba, and that's because it parodies the entire genre. Re:Zero as okay, but that's mostly due to it having an interesting premise with its timeloops.

Love all the my hero academia mentions here!!

I like anime with characters that are interesting, that evolve and that make you care about them.

Back in middle school/early high school I was an anime fiend. If I heard it was popular, I went out of my way to consume it. But nowadays, its rare for an anime to click for me. Hunter x Hunter and Jojo are some of my favorite anime of all time and I feel not many anime do action and characters like they do.

What makes an anime click for you nowadays?

First, not watching anime because it was popular nor going out of my way to consume it.

Second, the same that a movie or a novel has to do to click. A good story, interesting characters, something that at least feel novel, good execution?

Good soundtrack/character design and minimal pervert wet dream scenes.

But most important for me is an interesting and unique story premise. In the anime's that I enjoy , I get worlds and story concepts that I've never encountered in western media.

Its a combination of things. I think Im inclined to like older anime, they dont seem to be as cringy to me. Also, its general preference its hard to find mecha related fiction anywhere else. I also will watch anime for a better understanding of a culture that Im not apart of. So I enjoy "slice of life" anime as well

Farsi

When I'm in the mood I really love great character dramas.

but usually it clicks for me when I get a
Great soundtrack
Great voice acting
Over the top characters
THE FUCKING HYPE
fff.gif

daveo42

Banned
Doesn't try to be edgy just for the sake of being edgy.
Isn't filled with moeblobs in a world that only exists to be cute or endearing.
Isn't 99% of the harem trash that comes out.
Dialogue that isn't just jokes pointed at people who play video games or watch anime.

I think any anime that has an engaging story with interesting characters works, but that kind of thing works in pretty much any other narrative medium. Outside of that, pretty much any genre or period works. Shounen, shoujo, historical, romance, comedy, horror, any can be good for a variety of reasons. If it's goofy, it should push the over-top-aspect. Jojo is a great example where that world and characters are fucking insane, but the characters and story are fun.

Art and character movement plays into how much I can enjoy a show, though consistency also matters.

nkarafo

Animation, detail, art style.

I like my animations smooth, my cells detailed and my characters looking like humans. That means mostly 80's-90's stuff.

1. Good art

2. Lots and lots of "NANI?!"

Before said NANI, there must have been some sort of attack that left a lot of smoke covering the enemy and a long pause while everybody waits for the smoke to dissipate to see if the attack was successful only to show the person is pretty much intact. then proceed with NANI??!!!

Mupod

dunno, I fell off watching anything for a long time and only recently started getting caught up. I didn't like mob psycho 100's first episode so I dropped it fast, and only recently gave it another chance - by the end I loved it. Some of the characters I thought I'd dislike ended up being my favorites. Of course, I shouldn't be surprised that I liked something from that author, but yeah.

My friend made me watch Youjo Senki and that was pretty cool. But I don't think I have any specific preferences, for example said friend only watches action and mecha stuff, I usually like what he likes, but I'll also watch stupid shit like konosuba or monster musume. I remember we both were really into Log Horizon because as far as 'MMO world' stuff goes it was really spot-on.

I definitely have a problem finishing what I start, in particular I tend to drop off adaptations of things I've already read really fast. Exceptions being ufotable's type-moon stuff and OPM. But even though I thought the more recent Jojo series were well done I only made it a few episodes in on any of them.

Trickster

There's not any one thing that make an anime click for me. I like a pretty wide variety of anime.

But if I have to name some specific things I really like in anime, it would be these -

Great animation (One Punch Man)
Hype moments (Boku no Hero Academia)
Good humor (Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo!)
Brutally Overpowered characters (Overlord)

Conversely, things I hate in anime -

Worthless beta male protagonists (Accel World)
Super generic anime (Hyouka)
Boring high school shows (Hibike! Euphonium)
Allround poorly made shows (anything Toei)

It really hasn't been. Most of the fans of the show I've seen say it was one of their first anime. Unless you were lucky with your initial exposure to anime, pretty much everyone has one trash show that they are nostalgic for.

I usually see SAO in lists of "casual" viewers.
Its mostly "Well yeah. I watched DBZ, SAO and Attack on Titan! SO EPIC!"

For what it is I also enjoy SAO worldbuilding.

I'm not sure to be honest. There's so many different genre's that I enjoy. Sweetness and lighting is great because I love the interaction between a father taking care of his daughter and just doing every day thingsso that they grow closer to eachother. Tanya the Evil is great because it's just a psychotic little genius destroying everything.

I guess it's really just based on the characters for me. If I don't like the main character, then I'll probably hate the show. I'm so tired of pathetic male protagonists that have no reason to be the star of the show being out front and center. Plus I enjoy things that I can just sit down and watch and just have fun with for the most part. Great comedy and action helps too.

I don't watch a whole lot of anime, I prefer to read manga in most cases. If I do watch something, it's usually an old '80s robot toy commercial, or just something with a premise that grabbed me, like Re:Creators. Every now and then, I also wanna watch something stupid and fun for the hell of it. Currently I'm watching Wanna be the Twintail, which has certainly been quite a stupid (and fun) ride.

espher

An interesting hook that shows up in the first episode and either interests me in the plot or makes me go "wait, what the hell was THAT" and want to watch more. No 'three episode rule' for me. I've watched first episodes several shows from the past four or five years and only a couple have had that (Death Parade and Kids on the Slope being examples), unfortunately. It seems they're more apt to do something fanservice-y in the first episode that turns me away from them (e.g. Food Wars, Overlord). Older stuff tends to 'click' more often.

I'm also a big fan of shows that are so outlandish or absurd that I literally laugh out loud watching them. Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei has been that for me. Interesting art styles are a hook, too - Kemonozume, Mononoke, and Windy Tales piqued my interest because of that.

I've only recently started watching again after not really following anything for about a dozen years, so there's a lot of 'new' stuff for me to catch up on (and a lot of old stuff I'd never really seen). To give a subset stuff I've recently watched or started watching that I'd not seen before...

Liked: Death Parade (first episode hooked me, thought it had an interesting premise), Gunbuster (premise + I am a sucker for the theme song), Kemonozume (art style + premise), Legend of the Galactic Heroes (I'm only only a dozen episodes in but I like where the pace of the show and the split PoV), Revolutionary Girl Utena (gave it a look because of the absurdity, stayed with it all the way)
On the Fence: Diebuster (we watched three episodes before it got voted out and I felt it was too fanservice-y in the first two but seemed to be going somewhere in the third), Mobile Suit Gundam 00 (only watched the first ep so far but the premise is interesting), Mononoke (I liked it but, like Gundam, only one episode so far), Noein: To Your Other Self, Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
Disliked: El Hazard: The Wanderers, Food Wars (fanservice), Gantz (edgelordy), Overlord (fanservice)

If it has a interesting story and well written characters. Some comedic elements if appropriate. I can handle fanservice as long as it is not constant and blatant. The exception being mecha fanservice ala Super Robot Wars level which I love. If the main antagonist has a good reason for what they are doing and makes the viewer sympathetic to their cause than that is a huge plus for me. Also catchy openings or endings tend to at least get me to watch a little bit of a show.

Good characters, great art, and lack of fanservice make me like an anime. Get that otaku trash out of my face. But that can vary based on what the anime is trying to do.

Zutrax

The biggest one for me is a lack of otaku pandering. I love anime, and I am full in on the hobby. But the amount of shows that are just a plain slog to watch usually contain an exorbitant amount of otaku pandering. Things like fanservice, female cast that all have unique quirks, suspiciously boring main male protagonist, generic fantasy or school settings.

The next is treating the viewer like an actual intelligent person. Anime too often falls into the comfort zone of constant exposition and simplistic dialogue or flat out boring or cheesy writing. A show can have a great premise, but fall so flat due to how poorly executed it is from a writing standpoint. Anime does a lot of telling, not showing. A recent example of the opposite of this for an anime that DOES click is Made in Abyss, it does a lot of show not tell, it doesn't have a ton of exposition, it just kinda tosses us into a world and expects us to go with it and treats us as if we are intelligent and able to make out clues and world building techniques.

Lastly for me personally a great art style and good animation. I'm a big sakuga nut, so I kind of adore anything that shows obvious effort and passion. Things like One Punch Man and My Hero Academia get easy passes because they're just visual treats a lot of the time.

Hektor

Bullshit ideas that are played in a fun way with certain selfawareness
Memorable characters and character designs
Unrestrained positivity or good drama (Actually good drama, not shitty Elfenlied drama)
Style

and of course great animation

50305d940d7613e63ed470fa0ebb1e1c.gif

xvr

Neo Member
- does not play into tropes or subverts them
- character driven
- emotional, drama has to have some weight to it
- good OST

I find less and less that I actually care about any long overarching stories, and instead care more about the individual characters and their progression (probably why ping pong the animation is my favourite anime).
And also fuck tropes and fan service. It just shows me that you don't really respect your characters and overall show enough that you think the audience won't enjoy them without having some eye candy dangled in front of them.

Aad

Step 1: It doesn't have sexual fanservice. If it has a notable amount, then there's a good chance that I will not appreciate it.
Step 2: It can't be predictable. If I expect what's going to happen at every turn, then it won't be exciting. Bonus negative points if it has a predictable twist you can see coming a mile away, but the anime still makes a big deal of it when it happens.
Step 3: It needs to feel smart. Characters who make decisions that actually make sense, and are not obtuse for the purpose of advancing the plot.

Concepts that resonate with me the most are: Battle Royale; time travel; hope and crushing it shortly thereafter; depressing slice of life; important characters dying.

Recent anime I've enjoyed are Mob Psycho 100, Death Parade, Ping Pong, Shirobako, Fate/Zero.

I recently watched Punch Line in full, for some reason, and it was garbage.

Oh man you need to watch Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

Line_HTX

By and large, for me it's mostly OST's and well animated sequences that have multiple things going on at once in a scene.

Top Bottom