• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian PoliGAF - 42nd Parliament: Sunny Ways in Trudeaupia

Status
Not open for further replies.

SRG01

31? Wow, I heard just a little over an hour ago that there it was going to be 28, unless I heard wrong.

But pleasantly surprised that Alberta received two cabinet ministers. Sohi was kind of a shoo-in for infrastructure :)

Pedrito

I don't know if there's a quebecer here who listen to "La soirée est encore jeune", but it's pretty funny and ironic that Mélanie Joly is now those guys' boss in a certain way.

Upon thinking about it, I'm actually pretty happy with Ralph as Public Safety Minister.

I like the look of his cabinet. Reading the backgrounds on a lot of people, a lot are in positions that they have strong backgrounds in. It's also ethnically diverse and gender balanced. I like it.

Boogie

Upon thinking about it, I'm actually pretty happy with Ralph as Public Safety Minister.

I like the look of his cabinet. Reading the backgrounds on a lot of people, a lot are in positions that they have strong backgrounds in. It's also ethnically diverse and gender balanced. I like it.

So you like that a lot of people are in positions that they have strong backgrounds in, but *also* are happy that a career politician with, as far as I can tell, zero background with security matters, is public safety minister? :p

So you like that a lot of people are in positions that they have strong backgrounds in, but *also* are happy that a career politician with, as far as I can tell, zero background with security matters, is public safety minister? :p

Politicians who claim experience in security matters usually tend to be much more cavalier about things like civil rights and appeal to their own experience as justification.

It won't be hard to step up from Blaney and especially Vic Toews

maharg

idspispopd
She's not a bad choice, as Aboriginal Affairs has two major issues being health and the status of women, and both are her strengths.

-edit-

Carolyn is also a seriously empathetic person, which is something that the post needs.

This strikes me as saying a male gyno would make a good Minister for the Status of Women. I mean, sure, it's entirely possible they'd be empathetic, but I doubt it would go uncommented. The last male Status of Women minister was in *1981*. This is "not a bad choice" in that it's a very status quo kind of decision, but it's still disappointing after days now of discussion over how important it is to have a cabinet that is representative in more ways than just regionally.

Silexx

I completely understand your hesitancy and concern about this appointment, but I also think that Bill Blair came with too much baggage for this position. That said, who know what happens if there's a Cabinet shuffle.

Also, did they just say that McKenna is Minister of Environment AND Climate Change? Shots fired.

Stet

Banned
This strikes me as saying a male gyno would make a good Minister for the Status of Women. I mean, sure, it's entirely possible they'd be empathetic, but I doubt it would go uncommented. This is "not a bad choice" in that it's a very status quo kind of decision, but it's still disappointing after days now of discussion over how important it is to have a cabinet that is representative in more ways than just regionally.

I think the point is that the aboriginal cabinet members like Jody Wilson-Raybould and Hunter Tootoo aren't relegated to being Minister of Aboriginal Affairs just because they're aboriginal, and healing the rift between their communities and the rest of Canada by starting a dialogue with an open-minded urban minister.

Azih

Dion on foreign affairs, wuttttttttttttttttt

Dion did good work in working with other countries when he chaired a UN Climate Change Meeting when he was Minister of the Environment. He's intelligent and has great diplomacy and political skills.

He also supports PR AS AN ASIDE.

Why is everyone hating on Dion.

lWi7Gr0.jpg

Those ads were very effective.

Boogie

I completely understand your hesitancy and concern about this appointment,

I don't even think I would call it "concern", it's just that the pick does nothing to excite me.

With all the talk of "NEW BLOOD", "CHANGE", "generational change", etc, I was eager to see who would get the nod on this file (I would have liked Blair, but can acknowledge it was a long shot with the baggage, even if I don't think it's as warranted to hang on him).

And then...we get the one of oldest of old guard Liberal politicians. Ho-hum.

maharg

idspispopd
I think the point is that the aboriginal cabinet members like Jody Wilson-Raybould and Hunter Tootoo aren't relegated to being Minister of Aboriginal Affairs just because they're aboriginal, and healing the rift between their communities and the rest of Canada by starting a dialogue with an open-minded urban minister.

I don't really buy this, either. It would still be better for it to be a person who represents at least one half of what that portfolio is about. Someone from the 'north' (which can be considered loosely anything over the band of urban areas near the US border if there aren't enough to draw on in the actual north), or someone indigenous.

I think there have been plenty of attempts to 'heal the rifts' by putting urban people in power to 'dialog' with. A much better way to heal rifts would be to put indigenous people in control of their own destiny as much as possible, including by putting them in positions of power over their own file. I don't think that's 'relegation' at all, and I think framing it that way implies that women on the status of women file are also being 'relegated' (particularly back when there weren't as many women in government). No, putting them there was empowering them in cabinet to work on improving their own lot. The same would be true of an indigenous minister for aboriginal affairs.

Minister of Justice is an Aboriginal woman, this is a fantastic cabinet imo.

And just so I'm not only ranting negatively, yes, this is very good.

Tiktaalik

Jody Wilson-Raybould - Justice.
Harjit Sajjan - National Defence.
Carla Qualtrough - Sport, and Persons with Disabilities.

I'm very pleased to see Jody get this role. These are savvy selections with the next election in mind as well. The federal Liberals roots in BC aren't as strong as they are in Ontario and these are all competitive ridings. Especially in Jody's Vancouver Granville battleground riding it makes sense to try to create a very strong, well known incumbent, and to build the Liberal brand.

Overall seems like a good cabinet.

Sapiens

lWi7Gr0.jpg

Those ads were very effective.

Too bad people are so small minded. He's actually one of the good ones. A good man and good Canadian.

What a stacked cabinet. Stacked.

I can pick out at least four of five people I could see as PM one day. The Conservatives can't claim the same. Maybe McKay, but he's an idiot.

diaspora

Sajjan on defense is a strong pick too. I think a lot of the whining about "merit" with regards to gender equality got BTFO.

Stet

Banned
I don't really buy this, either. It would still be better for it to be a person who represents at least one half of what that portfolio is about. Someone from the 'north' (which can be considered loosely anything over the band of urban areas near the US border if there aren't enough to draw on in the actual north), or someone indigenous.

I think there have been plenty of attempts to 'heal the rifts' by putting urban people in power to 'dialog' with. A much better way to heal rifts would be to put indigenous people in control of their own destiny as much as possible, including by putting them in positions of power over their own file. I don't think that's 'relegation' at all, and I think framing it that way implies that women on the status of women file are also being 'relegated' (particularly back when there weren't as many women in government). No, putting them there was empowering them in cabinet to work on improving their own lot. The same would be true of an indigenous minister for aboriginal affairs.

In the past, Aboriginal Affairs hasn't really been about healing any rifts, it's been about appeasement. This is an improvement regardless of whether or not your personal criteria have been met and while you may think that it's a continuation of the status quo, any modicum of research into Bennett's history of politics would tell you how much different her appointment is than any previous appointment.

Putting an aboriginal in the office would have meant Wilson-Raybould would not have been Justice or Hunter Tootoo would not have been Fisheries, both of which are fantastic appointments.

Yes, I am. That doesn't change the fact that a lot of people are in positions that they have strong backgrounds in. I'd rather have seen him as the Minister of Finance, but this is okay.

Politicians who claim experience in security matters usually tend to be much more cavalier about things like civil rights and appeal to their own experience as justification.

It won't be hard to step up from Blaney and especially Vic Toews

Exactly.

Kyuur

I think this is 100% confirmation that we'll finally get that public inquiry into missing/murdered aboriginal women.

Previous page.

Thanks, totally missed that somehow.

Will be taking an indepth look later today. Great diversity so far.

Great job on the OP Matthew! Love it.

Overslept so I missed out in the ceremony, so I'll likely have to try and find a recording later... Oh well.

Pedrito

Seems like a very impressive bunch of people overall.

One I'm not too crazy about is Morneau. He's your classic super rich Toronton businessman.

Dion as FM most likely means Israel will have to find a new BFF. Canada will also be a lot less hawkish. It was predictable with the Liberals in charge but even more true now with Dion.

gabbo

Seems like a very impressive bunch of people overall.

One I'm not too crazy about is Morneau. He's your classic super rich Toronton businessman.

Dion as FM most likely means Israel will have to find a new BFF. Canada will also be a lot less hawkish. It was predictable with the Liberals in charge but even more true now with Dion.

Is this something he's stated in the past?

It feels real good to see very strong Sikh candidates Bains and Sajjan getting posts, after seeing Tim Uppal be the token guy for so long and do absolutely nothing

mdubs

Banned
Hopefully someone continues to lead the charge to crack down on the cell phone industry to make it more pro consumer.

I believe he will oversee airlines as well as space stuff in that post, though I could be wrong.

The Bombardier bailout will probably be the first problem he will have to address.

Lots of righties are complaining about Quebec bailing out Bombardier but the aerospace industry in the region are dependent on Bombardier's existence.

If Bombardier goes, so does many others in the industry.

SRG01

The Bombardier bailout will probably be the first problem he will have to address.

Lots of righties are complaining about Quebec bailing out Bombardier but the aerospace industry in the region are dependent on Bombardier's existence.

If Bombardier goes, so does many others in the industry.

The best case scenario, I think, is if Bombardier gets bought out by some other company or is acquired by the government (or becomes a significant shareholder a la GM). The latter of the two options isn't really an option, since the growth outlook for Bombardier isn't great by any means.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom