• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bombardier CSeries jets to make American debut with Delta next spring

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
Delta has a new secret weapon against American and Southwest

DF-CSERIES_Bombardier.jpg

Next Spring, Delta's new fleet of Bombardier C-Series jets will enter service and they are expected to go straight into two of the airline's most hotly contested markets, New York and Los Angeles.

During Delta's most recent earnings call, company president Glen Hauenstein confirmed that the first of its new Bombardier jets will be based in New York.

On Monday, Bloomberg's Michael Sasso reported that Delta issued an internal memo to pilots regarding plans to also base its C-Series fleet in Los Angeles. In addition, the report identifies Dallas as another major market targeted by the C-Series.
With the C-Series, Delta has a long range, ultra-fuel efficient, 100-seat jet capable of making money in markets where competition has depressed profits. In addition, the new Bombardier jet will allow Delta to operate mainline service in markets that traditionally made do with smaller regional jets.

"Having a 100-seat long range jet does open up some new market opportunity that we don't have today," Hauenstein said during the call.

According to the airline's president, Delta plans to use the C-Series on a number of routes currently operated by its 76-seat regional jets. This will, in turn, allow the 76-seaters to replace tiny 50-seat jets, which are exiting the airline's fleet.

In April 2016, Delta placed an order for 75 Bombardier C-Series jets worth as much as $5.6 billion at list prices. In addition, the deal includes an option for 50 additional C-Series jets. This order makes Delta the C-Series' single largest customer.

The Bombardier C-Series is the Canadian airplane maker's first attempt at a modern mainline airliner in competition with the smallest variants of the Airbus A320- and Boeing 737-families of jets. The state-of-the-art airliner entered service in 2016 with SWISS and Baltic Air. Both airlines report that the C-Series has delivered fuel economy even better than Bombardier's claimed 20% improvement over previous generation jets.

Pics inside:
Check out Delta's new Canadian airliner that's trying to challenge Boeing and Airbus
In April, Bombardier Aerospace announced a mega order with Delta Air Lines for 75 of the company's C Series airliners in a deal worth up to $5.6 billion. Shortly after the deal's announcement, Bombardier flew one of its C Series demonstrators down to Delta's Atlanta headquarters for journalists and the airline's staff to get a closer look.

I like Bombardier's CRJ series. I've flown in a number of them in shorter hops, operated by Delta partner Compass I believe. Fun little planes, looking forward to flying in one of these some time.

btrboyev

[KoRp]Jazzman;246270744 said:
Oh shit, maybe the hundreds of millions of dollars we have poured down the drain for this shitty company will finally pay off!!!

Are you referring to Delta or Bombardier? Because Bombardier makes some of the best stuff i the world.

Honestly had no idea that Boeing and Airbus had any competition.

They do, but only for smaller regional aircraft. Bombardier (Canada) and Embraer (Brazil) make mostly smaller regional jet air craft. ATR (France/Italy) makes regional turboprop aircraft.

jstripes

Banned
Are you referring to Delta or Bombardier? Because Bombardier makes some of the best stuff i the world.

Really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really slowly.

Toronto was supposed to have 130 new streetcars by now, but they've only delivered 40 since they went into service in 2014. Their new promise is 70 by the end of 2017, but now they're saying they might not even be able to deliver that.

Bombardier is a pathetic company. They're even 2 years late delivering the prototype LRT for our new line.

I like Bombardier's CRJ series. I've flown in a number of them in shorter hops, operated by Delta partner Compass I believe. Fun little planes, looking forward to flying in one of these some time.

Yeah, flew CRJ 900s operated by Germanwings a couple of times. It was a nice experience.

KHarvey16

Is this deal still being investigated? They were accused of selling each plane to Delta at a price that losses them like $14 million.

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
Why is it that every time Bombardier Aerospace is brought up, people always complain about the failings of of Bombardier Transportation? They are two separate operations. You might as well be shitting on PS4 because Sony Pictures released a series of horrible movies. And I say this as a continually frustrated TTC user.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
There's a lot of money to be made in that plane class, it will be interesting to see if they can shove their way in.

Mindlog

According to the airline's president, Delta plans to use the C-Series on a number of routes currently operated by its 76-seat regional jets. This will, in turn, allow the 76-seaters to replace tiny 50-seat jets, which are exiting the airline's fleet.
This is relevant to my interests and could improve quite a few of my flights.

Dunlop

[KoRp]Jazzman;246270744 said:
Oh shit, maybe the hundreds of millions of dollars we have poured down the drain for this shitty company will finally pay off!!!

We gave over a billion last year alone in taxpayers dollars, while the government slashed healthcare to the brink of crisis.

The executives giving themselves multi million dollar bonuses after the hand out was just icing on the cake

Next few years should be interesting for flying, both Westjet and Air Canada are upgrading significant portions of their fleets. They are adding CS300s, 737 MAXs, and 787s to their fleets. The 787 is the most exciting of the bunch, but the CS300 with its geared turbofan will also be neat.

New planes are always nice, but replacing regional airline flights with mainline flights on shorter trips is what really appeals to me about all of this.

Nice to see Delta headed in that direction.

JettDash

They do, but only for smaller regional aircraft. Bombardier (Canada) and Embraer (Brazil) make mostly smaller regional jet air craft. ATR (France/Italy) makes regional turboprop aircraft.

I know about those. What I meant was I had no idea that Boeing and Airbus have competition for planes they build.

Top Bottom