• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Room 104:-- A Duplass Brothers/HBO Joint

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I found the story to be hackneyed from the adoption reveal onward, but I did like the first half of the episode. Uncomfortably relatable stuff - the double clicking bit in particular had me in stitches.

I'm not sure if it was the episode, or just something for me personally - but it just sent me into the sort of deep sobbing that I essentially never get from media. Of any kind. I was on a razor's edge the entire time, dreading every motion. Then once the reveal happened, I was gone. Crying harder than I have in years.

Maybe it's just me. Maybe I've got personal shit I need to work out. Maybe it's the fact I watched it alone, without any reason to hold back.

But holy shit, what an episode. I've really enjoyed this show so far, but this was on another tier for me. Immediate 'best of the year' contender.

Also, make sure to read this article on the making of.

^^^ I thought the latest episode was really effective as well. I expected the laughs with him trying to get his mom to work the computer, but did not see the turn coming towards the end.

BTA

Haven't heard anything about this, and I'm not great with horror so I might not watch but... that's a really rad concept, huh.

I don't know. Ralphie freaked me out a bit. Not that he was intimidating, but that you can't hurt children.

I was freaked out for a couple seconds, but then it just got silly. Maybe it was the acting or directing, but it just wasn't scary enough the second (?) time he came out.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I've never seen anything like that one before.

The story was told entirely through dance, but since I don't really have any idea of how to interpret dance, I didn't quite know what was happening. Did the items she found in the room make her relive an experience from when she was a young woman? Or was she just imagining who the people in the room might have been?

I'm thinking it's the latter, since the episode was called 'Voyeurs', but I recall an earlier review saying something to the effect of "an older cleaning woman performs ballet with her younger self", which doesn't exactly jibe with the "voyeur" context.

I guess I'm a bit confused.

But what a fascinating episode that was.

I've never seen anything like that one before.

The story was told entirely through dance, but since I don't really have any idea of how to interpret dance, I didn't quite know what was happening. Did the items she found in the room make her relive an experience from when she was a young woman? Or was she just imagining who the people in the room might have been?

I'm thinking it's the latter, since the episode was called 'Voyeurs', but I recall an earlier review saying something to the effect of "an older cleaning woman performs ballet with her younger self", which doesn't exactly jibe with the "voyeur" context.

I guess I'm a bit confused.

But what a fascinating episode that was.

Yeah, I wasn't really sure either. This EW breakdown seems to point to the latter as well.
http://ew.com/tv/2017/09/02/room-104-behind-scenes/

It did seem like the older and young actress resembled each other and she could have been reliving a memory of when a guy left her.

The dancing was entertaining to watch.

I really dug the last episode. It was like a Nicolas Winding Refn Contemporary Dance short film. Great soundtrack.

My favored interpretation is that the the cleaner was the woman when she was younger (80s theme, similar looks, matching arm tattoos at the end) and that she gave up her dance career to be pregnant to her husband and wishes she made a different choice.

But I could be way off. The title Voyeurs suggests she was living vicariously through the occupant of the room, creating a fantasy of the younger woman's life and trying to help her. Dance was just the medium of choice to tell the story.

I'm not sure it really matters!

The song the composer sampled:

Nero - Innocence

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Yeah, I wasn't really sure either. This EW breakdown seems to point to the latter as well.
http://ew.com/tv/2017/09/02/room-104-behind-scenes/

That one seems to confirm that she is indeed just imagining who these people might have been and that the younger woman isn't her.

Perhaps she's projecting herself into it too though? Like, she's imagining herself as the woman whose room she was cleaning. Or something.

My favored interpretation is that the the cleaner was the woman when she was younger (80s theme, similar looks, matching arm tattoos at the end) and that she gave up her dance career to be pregnant to her husband and wishes she made a different choice.

I thought they implied that the guy was her married boss - he left her a note saying "Even when all this is long forgotten, you'll always have a place here in my heart.", which makes me think it was just a brief affair. She writes "I'll give it all up to be with you", but it's too late because the man is already gone. I think that she regrets that she didn't pursue him and/or that she gave up her dancing career to raise his child.

I'm in the "it was her younger self" camp. She had the baby, possibly ending her career. There was a note with boy and girl names. Loved that episode. It's pure visual story telling, the way it was originally invented.

Watched episodes 5 and 6. The one with the writer was great. Almost teared up at the truth bomb and following talk with the mother. I really liked the humor earlier on in the episode as well.

The dancer one was pretty good too. I'm fairly certain the younger woman is the cleaner's younger self. She's reminiscing on her past. Read the episode description after I finished and it pretty much confirms that to be the case. At least that's what I think.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
That one was interesting, conceptually, but the execution was bland and unexciting. The characters weren't particularly well drawn and the story didn't feel substantial enough.

That one was interesting, conceptually, but the execution was bland and unexciting. The characters weren't particularly well drawn and the story didn't feel substantial enough.

Yeah, I wasn't really feeling it. I thought it would go somewhere besides the obvious and the actors didn't elevate it.

She died in the plane crash and was being eternally judged. She is stuck in purgatory until she either chooses to admit her sin (adultery) or embrace it.

^^Yeah, I was pretty confused as to what exactly happened.

Show started off interesting to me, but seems to be losing steam as the season goes on.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
That might've been my favorite one. It was tense, well acted, and it wasn't underwritten.

I was secretly hoping the repair man would turn out to be an assassin from the future who was trying to prevent Trump and/or his son from being killed.

Burt

I fell off the show after... episode 3 I think? The one with Orlando Jones as the cult figure? Not for any reason in particular, it just sort of slipped my mind. Worth catching up on?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I fell off the show after... episode 3 I think? The one with Orlando Jones as the cult figure? Not for any reason in particular, it just sort of slipped my mind. Worth catching up on?

Episodes 4, 5, 6, and 10 are really the only ones worth watching so far (there are two left this season).

MMA episode was okay, although their plan was far-fetched considering the level they must have been at.

Season finale is next week.

I liked the last 2 episodes but overall the show was underwhelming. The premise is simply too limiting. Should be cheap to make so not surprised it was renewed.

Top Bottom