• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

Phthisis

Anyone else heading to the Zelda Symphony tonight?

In other Paramount news- anyone else going to Hamilton in Feb/Mar next year? Still debating if I feel like forking over $600 for that. If it was the original cast, I'd do it in a heartbeat, but they've all been replaced at this point.

I was there. Production quality needed some work, but the music was good.

I'm going to see Ludovico Einaudi on Sat night, and am incredibly pumped. First time seeing him live (missed him the last time he was here).

Izayoi

Banned
Saw Gorillaz at Key Arena on Saturday and... the Key Arena needs some serious help, man. It was a sold out show and the arena was definitely beginning to show its limitations.

Had a blast but it was a pain in the ass.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Pretty upset right now. I accepted a job earlier this year in a luxury hotel that was being built downtown; would have been a significant pay increase over what I make now, look very nice on my resume, and offered the chance to transfer out of Seattle next year. Today, we found out that the property owners, independent of the hotel owners, decided to sell the building, so now everything I was planning on is gone. I do still have my current job, thankfully, but I'm really sick of the place and have been trying to find a way out for a while - not to mention that it's moving from Belltown to Ballard in January, which is going to be a major pain for me to commute to (and lower my overall income since I'll no longer be able to walk to work).

There are very few opportunities to make good money around here in the baking world, and now I feel even more stuck than before.

As expected, Mitch Levy is out at KJR after the prostitution bust:

https://twitter.com/kjrmitch/status...re-after-reported-prostitution-bust/481405756

DLfG1PRUMAE0SF7.png

leroidys

Pretty upset right now. I accepted a job earlier this year in a luxury hotel that was being built downtown; would have been a significant pay increase over what I make now, look very nice on my resume, and offered the chance to transfer out of Seattle next year. Today, we found out that the property owners, independent of the hotel owners, decided to sell the building, so now everything I was planning on is gone. I do still have my current job, thankfully, but I'm really sick of the place and have been trying to find a way out for a while - not to mention that it's moving from Belltown to Ballard in January, which is going to be a major pain for me to commute to (and lower my overall income since I'll no longer be able to walk to work).

There are very few opportunities to make good money around here in the baking world, and now I feel even more stuck than before.
That really sucks, sorry to hear.

Dany

Banned
Which one of you nerds are seeing Star wars at the cinerama.

I'll be wearing my darth maul mask btw.
I wont

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Was kind of surprised to see about 50 people waiting outside Cinerama early this afternoon. No one did that last time around, from what I can remember.

Wow, so that's what happened. I tune in sometimes on my way to work and was like man, he's on a long vacation. Googled him this morning...damn. Hope he gets the help he needs, that's a sad situation.

My attitude is fuck him. The ones that get my sympathy are the girls, many of whom are young girls from Asia that are victims of human trafficking.

dubc35

My attitude is fuck him. The ones that get my sympathy are the girls, many of whom are young girls from Asia that are victims of human trafficking.
I agree, I meant it was a sad situation all around. Decisions/actions have consequences and he will deal with those. I feel bad for his kids/family and of course the women (girls) forced into this line of work. It's absolutely disgusting and evil.

dLMN8R

Random question for Seattle Gaffers.

I've used Progressive auto insurance for many years. Their rates have always been competitive, though not really "cheap" since I've been insuring a 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid which was both brand new when I bought it and a more expensive vehicle to insure overall.

Despite being a constant customer of theirs' for so long, with a 100% clean driving record, my 6-month rates have increased from $519 to $610 over the last two years. They've provided no explanation other than "we raised rates across the state to match rising claims cost".

I decided to get a quote from Geico and they're offering an identical policy for $454 instead of $610. Is there any reason not to go with them at this point? Not sure how it is in Seattle to deal with one vs. the other in case it comes up.

Phthisis

I've used Progressive auto insurance for many years. Their rates have always been competitive, though not really "cheap" since I've been insuring a 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid which was both brand new when I bought it and a more expensive vehicle to insure overall.

Despite being a constant customer of theirs' for so long, with a 100% clean driving record, my 6-month rates have increased from $519 to $610 over the last two years. They've provided no explanation other than "we raised rates across the state to match rising claims cost".

I decided to get a quote from Geico and they're offering an identical policy for $454 instead of $610. Is there any reason not to go with them at this point? Not sure how it is in Seattle to deal with one vs. the other in case it comes up.

You could always just call them and tell them you have a better quote elsewhere and see if they'll lower. You have all the leverage here. I also use Progressive and they've been real good to me.

jb1234

I'm on PEMCO and also got a sudden raise, an extra $100 a year. Being on disability, that's a lot of money to me so I'm also thinking of shopping around, even though I've been with these guys since I got my license. As Phthisis points out, we do have leverage.

(Unlike with, say Comcast.)

Trouble

Banned

I use MetroMile because I barely ever drive. It's like $32/mo plus $.04 per mile.

I can't help answer any of your questions, but I'm envious of $600 for car insurance.

Akim

Banned
Anyone play "competitive" MTG over on the east side (Redmond, Kirkland, Bellevue)? I'm looking for a group to play with. I just started up again and I want to get more into the competitive scene. Also, I'm a pretty normal dude.

Here I was just a little while ago thinking that this wind storm wouldn't happen just like it didn't yesterday in my area. Then just now I heard a loud snap and thump and now there's a tree on my neighbor's porch.

Izayoi

Banned
Offer accepted on a home in West Seattle. Christ this market sucks.
Congrats!

My wife and I are considering committing a double suicide in front of Amazon's HQ to make a statement about it. I'm giving up on living within an hour commute of my job. At this point, we would have to live in a cardboard box if we actually wanted to own a place close to where we work.

leroidys

Congrats!

My wife and I are considering committing a double suicide in front of Amazon's HQ to make a statement about it. I'm giving up on living within an hour commute of my job. At this point, we would have to live in a cardboard box if we actually wanted to own a place close to where we work.

Are you me? I'm just praying for the bubble to explode, but I don't have very high hopes. It's not that I expect to be able to afford a dreamhouse in some trendy Seattle neighborhood, but being unable to get equity anywhere within 50 miles of my work that's not a shithole really sucks.

Ourobolus

Banned
But congrats.

Congrats!

Thanks!

My wife actually works in Kirkland, but she's used to the commute now (been working there a few months). I work from home so the location was totally up to her, and she doesn't want to live far from the water.

Also I work for Microsoft, so yes, I am part of the problem. :/

dLMN8R

Here is the article The Stranger ran in opposition to the tunnel:

http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/...e-to-rejecting-the-tunnel/Content?oid=9323195

I'm not sure whether this specific point was conclusive, but it still struck me as - if true - the most obvious reason why the tunnel was a bad idea:

• Downtown Traffic Would Be the Same if Not Worse: WTF?
Get this: The state's final report shows that if we build a tunnel, it would have the same effect on downtown traffic, waterfront traffic, and traffic on I-5 as if we simply tore down the viaduct and did nothing. And we would have saved billions.

Top Bottom