• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GT5 Rumors: French Magazine with Kazunori Yamauchi reveals...

Ranger X

Gek54 said:
Well, it looks like its trying to give you sensation of lateral Gs, it is also looking the direction you are turning.

Looked at the video again and you're right about the direction. I remembered the opposite (!?!)

sugaki

I live my life one quarter-mile at a time
Monaco GP track in 1080p = teh bomb.

Kinda bummed that only race cars get damage modeling, but the thought of driving through George V Paris will more than make up for it. Dang, interior views FTW! I barely touched GT4 and thought it was more of the same crap, but this GT5 looks irresistible.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Fight for Freeform said:
This is my main complaint about PGR3, where hitting a guy penalizes the guy who got hit as it spins them out, rewarding the guy who hit him with an easy pass.

I'm looking at this from a multiplayer POV.

damage won't solve that - you're just as likely to get damage on the receiving end.

The only way to play mulitiplayer is either to have people you trust, so that any racing incident is minimised, or you turn collisions off.

I don't see a way you can avoid people leveraging the mechanics of a game unless you turn collisions off. Its just human nature. Even if you penalise, how do you know the difference between nudging someones rear to spin them out, and accidentally nudging their rear, causing them to spin out? One is intentional, the other not. And rubbing happens all the time in real closed wheel racing

The Jason

wotter said:
All the vehicles and circuit from GT4 will be present in the next GT

The power of the machine offers some new possibilities when it comes to details. The guys from Polophony have modeled each vehicle again with the interior. The result: 6 months work for one vehicle.

um?

09180001.jpg

"WTF, n00b?!"

OK I'm done translating part 2 of the interview, I'll repost part 1 to make it a full interview.

Forgive me, my English automatically goes down 20 points when I translate lol.

Where does your passion for cars come from?
Like every boy, I started getting interested in cars at the age of 3-4 years old.
Years later, when the occasion presented itself to make a video game, I had already prepared 150 projects, Gran Turismo being directly linked to my passion for cars. It may not be the Gran Turismo that we know and love today, but I knew what I wanted: a real driving simulator with real cars.

At present day, you’ve vastly explored this idea, what aspects of it inspire you?
Lots of things! But certainly there is no end to this story. We’ve created a game that evolved from circuits to rallies by passing by some normal roads and today with GT HD, we have introduced to you the drift aspect of the game. But there are still lots of fine tuning and lots of work to do. Nothing is ever really completely finished! But the passion that animates my team is a real engine for itself.

You’ve arrived in a Porsche GT3, we’ve also seen a Ford GT… What are the cars you own and which one is your favorite?
I have six cars. 2 Ford GT, a Porsche GT3 that you’ve seen but also a Mercedes SL55, a Nissan 350z Nizmo and a Honda S2000. My favorite one is definitely the Ford GT, since it goes back to the day I was born.

Which car do you dream of owning some day?
Without a doubt, a McLaren F1. I’ve never been in one, it’s a dream to be able to drive it someday.

Where does the name Gran Turismo come from and how did you choose the cars that are in the game?

Gran Turismo is originally an Italian name. The type of car that lets you “travel” since they are cars of grand tourism. We’ve reintroduced this philosophy in the game, since with Gran Turismo, the player travels inside beautiful cars! A couple of them are reclaimed by the manufacturers, but most of the vehicles in the game are personal choices.

How was Polyphony created?
At first, it was a division called “Team Yamauchi” that was integrated in Sony. In 1998, this division became independent under the name Polyphony Digital.

How many people work by your side?
Today, we are 120 in total. In 1992, when I started making the first Gran Turismo, we were seven and it took us 5 years to finalize the game.

You were not programmers though, what’s your professional background?

I started by studying economics while making games for fun. I was 18, it was a hobby. Since I was a kid, I used to play a very well known PC game called Grand Prix. I then arrived at Sony in the music department of Epic Sony Record, to then migrate to the domain of games.

Grand Prix was a single-seater game. Why haven’t you created a soft of Formula 1 instead?

But I’ve always wanted to! However, the development of those types of games cost too much because there is a huge amount of interest. What is certain is that if I had that chance, I’d do something really different than the things that exist today.

Did you ever expect the Gran Turismo series to be such a big success?
Not at all! The driving games before Gran Turismo were very different. Even if you don’t brake, you can still successfully pass a turn. When the driving sensations of the players reappeared in Gran Turismo, they were a lot more enthusiastic of the fact that when you brake before a turn, you have to position the car and reaccelerate, so it was something new. In fact, I was sure that there were other people who, like me, wished to have this type of sensation. But not this much!

Do you know that most of the Europeans discovered that the cars that run in JGTC (Japan Grand Touring Car Championship) (now called Super GT) is all thanks to this game? The Nissan Skyline comes to mind that was never imported over here…
Yes, and the funny thing is that some of them that have played GT have contacted the teams of Super GT! This series is very interesting and very competitive even if it takes place only in Japan. Never the less, I am happy to have participated in its image through my game.

Specifically , have you ever had any collaboration with the Super GT team and do you call real drivers to test Gran Tusimo?

It happens quite frequently. They come in the studio and I go see the races. For me, it is important to have the opinions of a real driver.

What is your favorite car in all of GT and which one is the most polished one technically and graphically in your opinion?

My favorite goes to the Skyline GTR and the most polished one is, no contest, the Nissan 350Z Nismo of Super GT.

Who are the other game creators you admire?

Hard to say since I never look at other games unless it’s for technical reasons. But if I had to say, the only one that struck my eye was Little Big Planet because the developers have really succeeded in doing something different, something original. Otherwise, I don’t admire anybody in particular… but due to my ignorance.

To speak a bit about the future, what online possibilities are we going to see in GT HD Concept?
First of all, the name is still to be determined. At this moment, I can confirm that there’s going to be a game that’s going to come out between GT4 and GT5, but we do not have a name yet. Regarding the online, it’s a really broad question…

Can we hope for any downloadable cars and tracks via the PlayStation Store?
Nothing is certain yet, but it’ll be possible to get new updates for the cars. You can surely expect to be able to download when new stuff is available.

In GT4, one of the new features was the hood driving view, plus the two old classic ones, what can we expect for the next installment?
In the next Gran Turismo, the hood driving view will return but also a new interior driving view.

You signed a deal with Ferrari, will we see all the Ferrari cars in the game? Can we still hope to see more manufacturers such as Porsche or Lamborghini?
All the series of Ferrari cars will be available, but in regards to Porsche and Lamborghini, until we’ve signed with them, I cannot answer positively.

In regards to the tracks, what’s new?
I’ve got loads of ideas! So expect a number of surprises! However, I can already announce that there are going to be the classic circuits but also new city tracks…

A name?
(laughs) Not yet!

In GT HD, we now have the Drift mode. What made you implement this mode, being very popular in Japan and the US, and will this mode be a separate one in the next Gran Turismo?
I see myself effectively improving the Drift mode even further, because speed is not the only thing necessary for the handling of a car. Plus, online, you will be able to watch other players play this magnificent mode live.

Live or after downloading the file which is the case in GTHD?
Live!

This means that it will be also be possible in the other racing modes?
Exactly. That's what’s going to be fun. You will be able to play and be watched by the internet community in real time and vice-versa.

Do you presently observe players race in GT HD?
Yes of course! I go check out the times and I must say the Europeans are very good. The surprising thing is watching the driving techniques of the players, specifically the top 3. In contrast, I rarely watch Americans play (laughs)…

Will there still be licenses in the next GT?
Definitely, the licenses represent the heart of the game since forever, and they will be even harder and even more enjoyable!

There has never been any damage in the cars of GT. Do you think we will ever be able to completely wreck a car?

That’s a question I get a lot. I’m aware that players would like to push realistic driving to its limits. What I can tell you is that some cars will have damage in the next Gran Turismo. To be more precise, those cars will be racing ones. But what do you personally wish it had?

Well for me it’s the opposite!! In my opinion, I think that Gran Turismo is a driving simulation which means if you go off-road, it makes perfect sense for the car to take damage. In addition, it’s very frustrating to see another driver crash on a wall and just keep going as if nothing happened…

I know, it’s a very delicate detail. We’ve already done the calculations: if a car ever touches the rail at a specific speed, in certain turns, we realized that even if it were a tiny bump, the vehicle would take a great amount of damage that the player is unaware of. This leaves us with two options: or we show you the real consequences of an off-road incident, or we replicate this phenomenon at the risk of not being totally realistic. In my opinion, I’d choose the first solution, but will the players be capable of accepting this?

We read on the official site that one or several Gran Turismo games could come out before Gran Turismo 5, is that correct?

I can confirm that before Gran Turismo 5 comes out, there will be at least one Gran Turismo game.

Can we get a release date?

(thinks) As fast as we can.

What made GT a huge success was its gameplay. For the first time, we had the feeling of a real simulation. Do you still work at this level?
Yes, the power of the PS3 allows us to push the realism even further, from the driving aspect of the game to the graphics in general and the car models.

In GT4, the transmissions were very stable. However, in regards to the general stability of the car, it was really difficult to find the right balance because the weights in the front and in the back were independent. In GT HD, the cars react a lot more to the weight transfers…

I assure you that we have fine tuned even more the general settings of the car. But you’re right: the cars that you drive in GT HD are a lot more sensitive to weight transfers. However, I wonder if all this tuning is not too complicated or boring for the players…

Since the game will be completely online, why can’t we imagine car customization swapping between players? For example, is it possible that a beginner player could download directly the right set-up from an expert player?
Right on, it will be possible!

In the same concept, the cars had the tendency of under steering a little and even when we change the settings of the car, it would still be very difficult to turn it into an over steering car. Will the new customization option this time let us go from one limit to another?
Yes, that will be possible!

My last question: Are you a satisfied man?
No, I am never totally satisfied. I still have lots of work ahead of me!

really nice interview. it starts to pick up close to the end with the technichal questions.

i'm glad KY understands tuning was broken in GT4. spring rates, dampers and stabilizers didn't played as much as a factor like it did in GT2. we still had some tuning bugs like the wheelie trick, cars were much tighter and friendly to noobs (understear in most cars). i hope that changes.

sweet news for drift and online... i hope they bring back racing modifications, but add a personal customization flavor to it...

about the video, PD had that for GT4, but couldn't implement in the final game. that was probably just a demo, a beta version showing what they intend to do. hard to judge from 1 video, but just a bit more shaking then i expected. i hope they can smooth it out in GT5.

and funny thing about the europeans. last board challenge (kind of a world championship of GT) i raced for GTPlanet, which was basically the US/Australia team. of the 12 boards, the majority of the drivers were europeans. they are really hardcore, speacially the french. i have no doubts that the top GT players right now are french, maybe that has something to do with a mag and a tv channel looking to visit PD for extensive coverage on the game.

:) man, after years and years doing time trials and offline competitions, i can't wait to play GT online.:D if you're into competition, you can play GT4 for months and months without getting tired. imagine that online...

can't wait for E3

Gek54

Kaz said:
I assure you that we have fine tuned even more the general settings of the car. But you’re right: the cars that you drive in GT HD are a lot more sensitive to weight transfers. However, I wonder if all this tuning is not too complicated or boring for the players…

What the hell, why is he downplaying tuning? Is he jaded?

Dali

To speak a bit about the future, what online possibilities are we going to see in GT HD Concept?
First of all, the name is still to be determined. At this moment, I can confirm that there’s going to be a game that’s going to come out between GT4 and GT5, but we do not have a name yet. Regarding the online, it’s a really broad question…

This is the part where you ask about online versus play.

Can we hope for any downloadable cars and tracks via the PlayStation Store?

WTF.

FightyF

Banned
mrklaw said:
damage won't solve that - you're just as likely to get damage on the receiving end.

Which solves the issue. If the guy behind me plans to ram me when we approach the next turn, he should think twice as with damage it's a bit unpredictable. He's not guaranteed to bounce off of me in a manner where he can point himself out of the turn and carry a lot of speed with him.

The only way to play mulitiplayer is either to have people you trust, so that any racing incident is minimised, or you turn collisions off.

Or make any impact like that unpredictable, so you aren't guaranteed a better outcome than the guy you hit.

I don't see a way you can avoid people leveraging the mechanics of a game unless you turn collisions off. Its just human nature. Even if you penalise, how do you know the difference between nudging someones rear to spin them out, and accidentally nudging their rear, causing them to spin out? One is intentional, the other not. And rubbing happens all the time in real closed wheel racing

I'm not talking about rubbing or incidental collision when racing, I'm talking about playing bumper cars here.

Damage isn't necessarily the solution to this particular problem, you could have the same no-damage setup, but penalize cars that hit other ones at high speeds by slowing it down quite a bit, or reacting more unpredictably. But I think damage should be included as an option.

I know, it’s a very delicate detail. We’ve already done the calculations: if a car ever touches the rail at a specific speed, in certain turns, we realized that even if it were a tiny bump, the vehicle would take a great amount of damage that the player is unaware of. This leaves us with two options: or we show you the real consequences of an off-road incident, or we replicate this phenomenon at the risk of not being totally realistic. In my opinion, I’d choose the first solution, but will the players be capable of accepting this?

This is precisely why simulating an accurate damage model is a difficult decision. The driver would have to be so precise and clean throughout the race that the gameplay would suffer for all but the best drivers. The ability to incur damage without being aware of the actual problem would be very frustrating because you would notice the performance of the car falling off without any indication. I've never seen an accurate damage model implemented in any racer. The model has always been compromised for either complexity or playability. I hope they offer both options and let the player select the accuracy of the simulation.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
evolution said:
Actually its NISMO not Gran Turismo

Don't you mean NSMO in that case? Looks to me like it could be the bottom of 'r' and 'i' and the 'smo'.

If real, awesome. Probably not tho? Really has a GT feel to it.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Gek54 said:
True, screw Forza lets just wait for GT instead.

I never said that. I'm simply saying the track selection and variety of GT4 makes it more appealing than the tracks in Forza 2 (at least from what I know of Forza 2). Haven't you been moaning about the loss of the point to point tracks?

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
shantyman said:
I never said that. I'm simply saying the track selection and variety of GT4 makes it more appealing than the tracks in Forza 2 (at least from what I know of Forza 2). Haven't you been moaning about the loss of the point to point tracks?

They should make a hardcore point to point track where you have a small loop at the end that can allow you to travel back in the other direction!

Gek54

shantyman said:

Yes, Forza 2 track selections sucks.

Crayon Shinchan said:
They should make a hardcore point to point track where you have a small loop at the end that can allow you to travel back in the other direction!

Facing head on traffic? Awesome.

VonGak!

Banned
Orlics said:
You just HAD to bring DVD into this.

Hey, at least I didn't make up some silly unfounded attack.
One must expect that the dream of magic compression no longer lives here on NG. :)

Which brings me to those talking about physics in this thread :S Car damage and a car rolling over is not = driving physics nor is some silly number for how many calculations are done per frame.

It's about how precise the set values and formulas were done when the games were made .
There's rally games and other so called PC racers with a lot more running calculations than GT but it doesn't help when the fundamental numbers are skewed.
This is where GT shine, the numbers aren't re-balanced for the sake of arcade gameplay but stay true to the cars they represent.

And LOL at those who call the Nascar games for better simultaters because there's a clutch, more smoke when one burn tires and a 'dlonk sound when chaging gear (reminds me of Gamespot's GT review, I wonder if they ever have driven a car because they do not make that sound unless you make an error) it's all neat but ultimately means nothing because again it's the wrong numbers used for how the cars act.

For some reason many people are blind to this and think the more a game does like windshield wipers, adjustable rear view mirror and such makes them think its a simulater instead of the things which aren't as obvious to the eye.

sangreal said:
Because a racing game could never be on 2 disks

GT2

You mean the singleplayer and multiplayer split? I can't see anything bad in that at all because it didn't really include disc swapping.

But what (theoretic) if you have to split up the singleplayer over more than one disc? I can see a lot of disc swapping there and dublicated data unless a lot of the data is cached on the HDD.

Top Bottom