• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hollow Knight |OT| Cute Insects That Just Want to Burrow Into Your Heart

Wok

some peeps on the Steam thread some weeks ago were saying the game is anyware from 20 to 40 hours long, depending on how completionist you are with your metroidvanias.

It is not "some peeps on the Steam thread", it was me and I said 40 hours to 100%, based on an email.

Ozium

Everything feels great. The Humble demo this month sold me on it, combat and platforming are all tight and responsive

the only thing I didn't like was the knockback when you hit an enemy, so you could jump to a platform an enemy comes swooping down, and you attack him to defend yourself and then you end up missing your platform and falling several screens down..

annoying :(

and the map system is suspect

BooJoh

This game looks great, but some of the clips from the trailer looked pretty close to masocore levels of difficulty while others looked pretty average. Not sure what to expect in terms of overall difficulty.

Frimaire

Uuuunngggh, I really wanted to get this on the Switch, but I don't think I can wait for it...
I'm probably just gonna get it tomorrow...

Dr.Acula

Banned
FYI, those checking your emails for the key, my key e-mail didn't come from Team Cherry or Kickstarter, it came from HumbleBundle, so make sure you don't gloss over it like I did :p

Furo

I'm currently 3 hours into the game and everyone who likes metroidvania games even the slightest will love this one. So far it is preeetty good, looking forward to play more later.

silva1991

Oh it's finally out? nice.

I'm currently 3 hours into the game and everyone who likes metroidvania games even the slightest will love this one. So far it is preeetty good, looking forward to play more later.

How is it compared to Ori?

Anno

Not sure if it's worth adding to the OP or not, probably not, but somewhere down the line there will be an additional playable character - one of the NPCs you'll encounter in the game. Comes with his/her own unique quests, abilities and the like.

Dammit, why do releases for games come out at like 2PM on release day? It'll be the 24th in 4ish hours gimme that sweet sweet game!

Stoze

The last I heard, it doesn't pinpoint your exact location on the map, just gives you the general area, which is a system that I'm sure I'll find highly irritating.

From the sneak peek (first couple hours of the game):
There's a charm or upgrade that lets you see your location in realtime.
The map is also upgradable. The limitation with the map system is it doesn't update icons and new rooms until you rest at a bench. That could be fixed with a later charm or upgrade though, who knows.

jb1234

You're able to buy various upgrades for your map, including a way to pinpoint your location and other landmarks.

Example (from the hr I played in the demo): http://i.imgur.com/NQlaJZ1.gif

From the sneak peek (first couple hours of the game):
There's a charm or upgrade that lets you see your location in realtime.
The map is also upgradable. The limitation with the map system is it doesn't update icons and new rooms until you rest at a bench. That could be fixed with a later charm or upgrade though, who knows.

Ah, okay. That sounds a little less aggravating, haha. I'm sure I'll still love it, either way. I play every Metroidvania I can get my hands on.

Calm Mind

I am actually relieved at the delay on the Nintendo Switch. It gives me time to enjoy each game to my fullest rather rushing through games just to play the next.

This will be a welcome surprise later in the year. I'm expecting it out before June at the earliest.

ryechu

might have to cave and get this on steam

will wait for that nindies thing and see if it gets a release date and go from there. the portable/tv combo would be so nice for this game.

Yeah, I'm going to get it on Steam. If this turns out to be a game I like replaying ill pick it up on the eshop if there is a sale. I wanted to play it with a nintendo d-pad though, and digital triggers ;).

Ozium

You're able to buy various upgrades for your map, including a way to pinpoint your location and other landmarks.

Example (from the hr I played in the demo): http://i.imgur.com/NQlaJZ1.gif

yeah I've no problem with the concept of unlocking them, but the prices at least in the demo were like 100-200 for each IIRC, and that seemed like a lot of grinding to do for basic functionality :/

everything else about it is wonderful though (the art, the way it feels, etc.)

Furo

Oh it's finally out? nice.

How is it compared to Ori?
It is coming out today, I have a review copy. I only played Ori at an event so unfortunately I can't give you a sufficient comparison, sorry.

yeah I've no problem with the concept of unlocking them, but the prices at least in the demo were like 100-200 for each IIRC, and that seemed like a lot of grinding to do for basic functionality :/

everything else about it is wonderful though (the art, the way it feels, etc.)

I have bought everything that was in the map shop within the first two hours, it is really not that expensive. Over time you need to pay for new areas, but everything is reasonable priced.

I got my backer code earlier yesterday, and I'm real eager to finally play this! I love the art style, and the gameplay looked real appealing!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Did anybody buy the Explorer's Edition + Beta Access SKU through the official site? Technically, it's still available via the URL of the Humble widget itself and I'm curious if the beta is accessed through Steam or just via direct download.

Edit: This guy says he has the beta but isn't tagged as an owner of the game, so I presume it's the latter.

wouwie

This game looks fantastic. Sadly, i don't think i will be able to run it properly on my poor laptop so i won't be able to play it. I wish i could though. Games like this (high quality platformers like Ori) are rare these days and i love them so much.

jimboton

Excited to finally play this evening. I'm a bit apprehensive about the map buying system though. I just don't see the point of letting people see more of the world than they have actually explored on their own. What's so wrong with having the map (whether free or bought) gradually fill up as you go like most every other metroidvania ever?

Oh well we'll soon see how that works out. Hope it doesn't ruin exploration and discovery too much as that's one of the main draws of the genre for me..

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Excited to finally play this evening. I'm a bit apprehensive about the map buying system though. I just don't see the point of letting people see more of the world than they have actually explored on their own. What's so wrong with having the map (whether free or bought) gradually fill up as you go like most every other metroidvania ever?

Oh well we'll soon see how that works out. Hope it doesn't ruin exploration and discovery too much as that's one of the main draws of the genre for me..

I love it. The areas you havent been to are grayed out so you at least have an idea of where you havent been, and for a game that's talked about being like 30+ hours, that is very welcome.

Why wont you let me give you my money tho Steam? :(

phanphare

Banned
Yeah, I'm going to get it on Steam. If this turns out to be a game I like replaying ill pick it up on the eshop if there is a sale. I wanted to play it with a nintendo d-pad though, and digital triggers ;).

yeah luckily I use the Wii U Pro controller for steam ;p

jimboton

I love it. The areas you havent been to are grayed out so you at least have an idea of where you havent been, and for a game that's talked about being like 30+ hours, that is very welcome.

Why wont you let me give you my money tho Steam? :(

So what benefit do you see to have it show the areas (even grayed out) before you've been there?

Violet_0

Banned
wow, out already? I remember a Gaffer who posted some screens over in the indie dev thread

I'm in, the game is just stunningly beautiful

Kyuur

It really pains my heart to not be playing this at launch. Played both Ori and Axiom from day 1, but chose Switch as my backer reward on this one. Hope everyone is enjoying this, will look forward to playing later in the year!

Wok

naGEuOo.png

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Curious how this one turned out. I'm not a huge fan of the art style, but the game looks like it could be really fun.

BashNasty

Can't wait to hear some impressions in here, pretty much everything I've seen in trailers and screens looks great. My only lingering question is how does it feel to play.

Anno

Can't wait to hear some impressions in here, pretty much everything I've seen in trailers and screens looks great. My only lingering question is how does it feel to play.

Haven't played the full release, but playing the preview left me with little doubt about how it felt. Really tight and responsive both moving and attacking.

JakeD

i got a weird stutter in the demo, only once every couple of minutes but bad enough so that i held off on pre-ordering. could be something on my end, but going to wait for some reviews regardless. game seems cool.

Wok

i got a weird stutter in the demo, only once every couple of minutes but bad enough so that i held off on pre-ordering. could be something on my end, but going to wait for some reviews regardless. game seems cool.

You could try playing in borderless windowed mode without vsync, using Borderless Gaming.

Top Bottom